NEW DISEASE CALLED "NO MANUAL SAVING". HOW TO TREAT IT?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Pelezinho777
Member since 2008 • 1520 Posts

Ok, So to say that I'm pretty PI***D lately would be like clouds, suns and flowers etc. And why Am I Feeling that way?

Answer is simple, believe it or not. It's because I played couple of new games lately (Hitman Absolution, Bioshock Infinite, SC: Blacklist) and I have that inner sense, like you

want to throw up. WHY? Let me put it this way. I belong to older generation of gamers, PC gamers to be exact, who understand gaming as a sort of

hedonistic experience. I always felt like to explore environment, especially in games that kinda allowed you that, or should I say, TEASES you to do so.

Then, there is that "a must go through" part of a environment that you NEED to pass to get, you guess right, to another part of the environment. And SOMETIMES,

after you pass A LOT OF DISTANCE and do A LOT OF THINGS along way, somehow, sometimes, having in mind some older games that have let you do it NECESARRILY ,

you have that urge TO :SAVE: YOUR PROGRESS, especially in semi-non linear games like mentioned Bioshock Infinite (Bioshock 1 had it as an option always) and

especially in !!!!!!!SPLINTER CELL!!!!!! ("you know",says the reviews,"this new splinter cell is like Chaos Theory!") NO! IT"S NOT! CHAOS THEORY LET YOU SAVE ANYTIME

BECAUSE OF ITS NON LINEAR GAMEPLAY LIKE NEW SC:BLACKLIST KINDA HAS IT!!!!!!!!!!! You know playing stealthy for 20 min, (yeah, stealthy because Splinter Cell is that kind of a game where you need to play really careful) and dying and having to start all over makes

me feel like, like,.........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To cut the mourning...people, what's going on? Why we have to play super mario all over in 21st century? Why all the frustration when you doesn't need one?

Why developers nowadays HATE MANUAL SAVING SYSTEM? Why today there is no "hit escape>save" procedure? Why there is no more save game option in the menu?

Why, why, why?

Eh, THIS GAME USES AUTOSAVE FEATURE, WHEN YOU SEE THIS SIGN...oh, SC*EW YOU!!!!!

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

This seems more like blog material.  Also, that would make games too easy in an already easy games era.  Sounds like you want more of a casual experience.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

This seems more like blog material.  Also, that would make games too easy in an already easy games era.  Sounds like you want more of a casual experience.

Rage010101

No that's not fair i believe he has a point and manula saving can be helpful when you need to move quickly IE do something in real life or just experiment within the game. The option should be present espcially in PC games and it always use to be as well. Saving progress does not mean you make a game easier as such as its up to the user when and how they would like to use that said feature.

Yes placing limits on your own saving is something some people are not capable of but having the option would be nice. F5 Quick save is a feature i do not want to be removed and not because i like easy games actually i am a Game players who enjoys a challenge and often have games on the highest setting depending on what that setting entails.

This is also discussion worthy and not a simple BLOG post you could argue that everything in these forums is blog worthy to some extent and then just dismiss anything and everything someone has to say.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

too much capslock, didn't read

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Yes, manual saving and quick saving is very useful to me

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

Yeah, I do agree that games like Splinter Cell do call for quicksaving.

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pelezinho777

No more capslock, promise....

now..

I have a suggestion: just put in a feature that players who don't use save game get more points or some kind of a bonus.

Or a limitation like in Hitman:Blood money (6 saves, 3 saves, no saves depending on difficulty level...)

No, really, I understand a good deal difference between casual playing, normal playing and masochistic urge to frustrate oneself.

Really...

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pelezinho777

And I beg all of you people, say your thoughts. I'm very intrested in what many of you think about this.

Right now I'm playing Splinter Cell Blacklist, and the game is really good. Just, I need at least that one slot for myself to save progress.

I'm playing it slowly, planning my tactics, that's why I loved SC:Chaos Theory. Not to be confused, I can say that I'm very experienced

in playing VG's, and I'm up for the challenge. This is different....

Normally, thank you @jwsoul, sometimes you need to do things in real life and they make you feel like playing MMORPG...

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Your writing style gives me a headache.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I think it depends on the game. For things like RPGs and RTS then manual saving should be there. For fast games like Racing Games and FPS, autosave is fine.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Implementing a manual save can sometimes break the game and make the game buggy. The checkpoints in blacklist are very forgiving. They checkpoint you right before every hotzone in the game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I think it depends on the game. For things like RPGs and RTS then manual saving should be there. For fast games like Racing Games and FPS, autosave is fine.FelipeInside

Pretty much this.

Some games are better off with limited saving, and others are better off with quicksaves to the point to that you can save scum. But it isnt all about the genre though. A lot of RPGs benefit greatly from quicksaves, but adding quicksaves to something like Nethack would be to miss a huge point of the game.

Edit: That said, being able to bookmark (save&quit) your progress is always nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

Absoulution was ruined because of this.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
For me, it depends on the type of game. I definitely want the quicksave option to remain in all of the different types of RPG's, and most shooters, too. But, at the same time, I don't mind having to make it to checkpoints for my game to save in the shooters that use the feature. They're usually more action oriented, and I definitely don't mind a challenge...
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#16 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
it's in blacklist, and I won't pretend it's a good feature. I have many theories on why they do this, and they change daily. My top theories atm are 1. Achievements are more challenging with checkpoints. 2. Pad game length. Quick save used in the right way will get you through areas much quicker than repeating sections 3. Easier to design. Breaking levels up into sub levels with checkpoints is helpful for design. You can segregate the level and then link it all together later. 4. Co-op and online elements. Co-op is almost universally associated with discrete checkpoints for resuming, joining or progressing through areas. Online elements, like scoring systems, are just better suited to checkpoint saving.
Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pelezinho777

Some games are not for checkpoint feature, especially Hitman series. Honestly, Absolution is a bad game. Bad comparing to what Hitman franchise was meant to be.

Again, those who want to play without saving, implement some bonus achievement and everybody's happy....

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I dare you to try Shadowrun Returns, it has the dumbest saving system ever. Ruined the game for me.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Some games are not for checkpoint feature, especially Hitman series. Honestly, Absolution is a bad game. Bad comparing to what Hitman franchise was meant to be.

Again, those who want to play without saving, implement some bonus achievement and everybody's happy....

Pelezinho777

Just like how some games are not balanced around the ability to save anywhere.

It goes both ways, and there is no one true way to design a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

manual saving is not good, since it can ruin the feel and the sense of challenge. you need to constantly be a littlebit afraid of dying, and manual saving can ruin that feel.

that said, checkpoints need to be very carefully planned (Dark Souls says hi), but it doesn't always work like it should either. having to replay large portions after death is a failure in design.

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pelezinho777
@groowagon Agree, but most new games have this problem you mentioned in your second paragraph...
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I personally think manual saving is a disease. It makes easy games even easier for lazy people so they can breeze through them in a night and brag about how short and easy the game was. Manual saving eliminates all difficulty from games. That's a fact. If you have the potential to save for every increment you advance with no potential to lose progress, every game becomes a cakewalk. It detracts just from about every type of game (particularly RPGs and FPS games). My suggested treatment for your condition: grow balls and get skills.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I think it's needed only because quick saves takes away a lot of the challenge and skill.  Though I also see how it can be annoying for those that don't have much time to play.

What devs should do if they decide to have check point saves is to also have a manual save but, put manual save on a timer.

Like say you can only use the manual save ever 20 minutes.  That way if you can't play anymore and need to save your progress you can do it without abusing the game mechanics.  I would also not allow the manual save to work during a fight.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime

I think it's needed only because quick saves takes away a lot of the challenge and skill.  Though I also see how it can be annoying for those that don't have much time to play.

What devs should do if they decide to have check point saves is to also have a manual save but, put manual save on a timer.

Like say you can only use the manual save ever 20 minutes.  That way if you can't play anymore and need to save your progress you can do it without abusing the game mechanics.  I would also not allow the manual save to work during a fight.

sleepingzzz
I don't understand this "not enough spare time" logic. Is there some rule that you have to beat a game within a week of starting it or something? Do people have such an attention deficit that they can't be playing through the same game for a month? I don't get it. Isn't it better to get more time out of a game than less?
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
The disease stems from lazy game development. How to treat it is simple. Stop taking kids out of community college and hire someone with real talent instead.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I personally think manual saving is a disease. It makes easy games even easier for lazy people so they can breeze through them in a night and brag about how short and easy the game was. Manual saving eliminates all difficulty from games. That's a fact. If you have the potential to save for every increment you advance with no potential to lose progress, every game becomes a cakewalk. It detracts just from about every type of game (particularly RPGs and FPS games). My suggested treatment for your condition: grow balls and get skills.

You think games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should use checkpoints? I personally don't think that would work very well.
Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pelezinho777

I personally think manual saving is a disease. It makes easy games even easier for lazy people so they can breeze through them in a night and brag about how short and easy the game was. Manual saving eliminates all difficulty from games. That's a fact. If you have the potential to save for every increment you advance with no potential to lose progress, every game becomes a cakewalk. It detracts just from about every type of game (particularly RPGs and FPS games). My suggested treatment for your condition: grow balls and get skills.KHAndAnime

You are talking extreme. Saving game is an option in menu screen...option...remember the magic word...

Anyways, nobody stops you from not saving your progress...

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pelezinho777

I wonder, Bioshock 1 (2007) was regarded by many to be the best shooter of all times...strange, you could do manual saving...

but that game was for sis**es anyways....

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
For Blacklist and Absolution manual saves make sense. As for Bioshock Infinite I was too busy trying to kill a handyman with 10 rockets and The Hand Cannon to notice theres something off about the save system, oh and then theres the 2 head shot minimum in the 2nd half of the game and how useless the pistol was after Booger Meets aLizardBreath and don't even get me started on the Broken Progression System, how did these things not bother you before the save system ? Where games that terrible back in the day ? :|
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu

I wonder, Bioshock 1 (2007) was regarded by many to be the best shooter of all times...strange, you could do manual saving...

but that game was for sis**es anyways....

Pelezinho777
Bioshock 1 did alot of things poorly, the shooting is only the begining.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I personally think manual saving is a disease. It makes easy games even easier for lazy people so they can breeze through them in a night and brag about how short and easy the game was. Manual saving eliminates all difficulty from games. That's a fact. If you have the potential to save for every increment you advance with no potential to lose progress, every game becomes a cakewalk. It detracts just from about every type of game (particularly RPGs and FPS games). My suggested treatment for your condition: grow balls and get skills.Postmortem123
You think games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should use checkpoints? I personally don't think that would work very well.

autosaves in Skyrim and Fallout work well. and it saves often.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

too much capslock, didn't read

lostrib

Can't control the troll.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

groowagon

I always turned them off, I prefer to save myself.

Did Skyrim have quicksaves? I can't even remember.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="groowagon"]

Postmortem123

Yeah, F6 quicksaves in most bethesda games (or maybe F5 I can't remember)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
[QUOTE="Postmortem123"]

[QUOTE="groowagon"]

kraken2109

Yeah, F6 quicksaves in most bethesda games (or maybe F5 I can't remember)

Heh, I played it for 150 hours and didn't even know that.
Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

manual saving is not good, since it can ruin the feel and the sense of challenge. you need to constantly be a littlebit afraid of dying, and manual saving can ruin that feel.

groowagon

The lack of manual save option doesn't make me afraid of dying or anything like that, it only makes all games feel kinda like Tomb Raider... Or CoD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I wish you old school pc gamers would just learn to adapt to forever evolving gaming industry, and stop crying like its the end of the world.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu

I wish you old school pc gamers would just learn to adapt to forever evolving gaming industry, and stop crying like its the end of the world.

Advid-Gamer
F#ck Steam and F#ck Origin ! Other than that, I agree with adapting to the changing Industry.
Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pelezinho777

Advid-Gamer

I have no prob with evolving gaming industry, consoles as a primary target for gamers and so on...just let me save my game, I think that could be acoplished with

new eight-core cpu, 8gigs of ram and terabyte space in new consoles...for PC I'm certain it's doable.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

The whole point many games take out anytime saving is to preserve the challege. For  some games it makes sense like Skyrim for example if you couldn't save whenever you wanted in that game it would be extremely annoying and inconvient especially with all the glicthes and bugs that can ahppen. It reall wouldnt make the game harder per say either. A game like hitman though saving anythime basically makes the game a cake walk because you can save before you try anything and if you ever mess up just reload it defeats the purpose of the game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#41 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I think it depends on the game. For things like RPGs and RTS then manual saving should be there. For fast games like Racing Games and FPS, autosave is fine.

This ^. Some games you can just breeze through without having to worry about saving and its fine. GTAIV was a better game than San Andreas because it had autosave points. Other times though its unforgivable. I still can't believe Ubisoft could release Far Cry 3, a game with stealth elements, without letting you save.
Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pelezinho777

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I think it depends on the game. For things like RPGs and RTS then manual saving should be there. For fast games like Racing Games and FPS, autosave is fine.biggest_loser
This ^. Some games you can just breeze through without having to worry about saving and its fine. GTAIV was a better game than San Andreas because it had autosave points. Other times though its unforgivable. I still can't believe Ubisoft could release Far Cry 3, a game with stealth elements, without letting you save.

Exactly the same for Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Could you believe that in optional missions you don't even have checkpoints? I know these are made for challenge, but look it

this way...There is one mission in which you have to get three files from different places in wider area (which contains minefield and security lasers). It's REALLY, but REALLY

awkward that you don't get checkpoint after each file you get because area is BIG, there is many guards to pass, to neutralize or whatever. And what? If you get caught by

camera after 20min of playing you have to start over? From beginning? This is madness...!

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Rage010101
Repeating from checkpoints hardly makes a game more 'hardcore', lol.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Implementing a manual save can sometimes break the game and make the game buggy. The checkpoints in blacklist are very forgiving. They checkpoint you right before every hotzone in the game.

JangoWuzHere
In the story missions, sure. But in the side-missions that rely on sounding no alarms for fear of reinforcements, you can carefully deliberate for a good 20-30 minutes before either being forced to restart or face another 15-20 alert enemies with armour. Since the game is a pretty weak TPS, this is hardly ever an option unless you hunker down and funnel enemies into a kill-zone (which gets pretty boring after a few minutes).
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#45 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I think people are usually fine with certain genres having checkpoints. At times, it can even add more weight to your gameplay performance/choices, at the expense of your convenience.

This topic always comes up when a game--that seemingly needs it has a silly checkpoint/save system--ships with an awful save system. I remember a similar thread pop up when Hard Reset--a PC exclusive game--launched with it's save system. I bet this thread is in response to Shadowrun: Returns.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KHAndAnime

You think games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should use checkpoints? I personally don't think that would work very well.Postmortem123
I never said checkpoints are the only alternative, did I? S.T.A.L.K.E.R's save system should be like Mount & Blade (progress is always saved, can't quit without saving).

You are talking extreme. Saving game is an option in menu screen...option...remember the magic word...

Pelezinho777

Playing games without quick saving is extreme? I guess 75% of gaming must be pretty extreme for you. :lol:

How is my game going to save if I don't use the quick-save system? Typically quick-saving is put inplace of any other saving system, so that means if I wanted a balance play experience, I'd have to play through the entire game once, and then spend hours upon hours carefully placing checkpoints strategically where I believe the game would be fair. In other words, I'd be doing the developer's work for them and losing all fun in the progress.

I always play all games that let you quick-save on command on the highest difficulty, and typically that isn't even enough for me to fully enjoy a game with quick-saving because I can still beat them in a breeze. Unless I was to create artificial difficulty for myself (which is dumb - I shouldn't be playing against myself, I should be playing against the game).

Poorly-thought out save systems can kill a game for me. I appreciate the option of having quick-saving. But it's too convenient. Might as have put the 'invulnerability' button right next to the quick-save button, and save everybody the time.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

I 100% agree, I wish every game had manual saving. A lot of the time I have real world things I need to do and I have to quickly get out of the game, or leave my computer on for hours at a time. I would just prefer to save and shutdown.

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pelezinho777

I 100% agree, I wish every game had manual saving. A lot of the time I have real world things I need to do and I have to quickly get out of the game, or leave my computer on for hours at a time. I would just prefer to save and shutdown.

KABCOOL

Thank you. They make you feel like a slave. It's like watching movie you just bought on DVD/BluRay, and suddenly you have to stop watching to do something else. And then tomorow, if you want to resume watching (i.e. Select chapter or set time) it forbids you and force you to watch from scratch...

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pelezinho777

[QUOTE="Postmortem123"] You think games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should use checkpoints? I personally don't think that would work very well.KHAndAnime

I never said checkpoints are the only alternative, did I? S.T.A.L.K.E.R's save system should be like Mount & Blade (progress is always saved, can't quit without saving).

Pelezinho777

Playing games without quick saving is extreme? I guess 75% of gaming must be pretty extreme for you. :lol:

How is my game going to save if I don't use the quick-save system? Typically quick-saving is put inplace of any other saving system, so that means if I wanted a balance play experience, I'd have to play through the entire game once, and then spend hours upon hours carefully placing checkpoints strategically where I believe the game would be fair. In other words, I'd be doing the developer's work for them and losing all fun in the progress.

I always play all games that let you quick-save on command on the highest difficulty, and typically that isn't even enough for me to fully enjoy a game with quick-saving because I can still beat them in a breeze. Unless I was to create artificial difficulty for myself (which is dumb - I shouldn't be playing against myself, I should be playing against the game).

Poorly-thought out save systems can kill a game for me. I appreciate the option of having quick-saving. But it's too convenient. Might as have put the 'invulnerability' button right next to the quick-save button, and save everybody the time.

Then WHY are you saving? It's an OPTION! Nobody forbids you NOT to save your progress if you want that much of a challenge.

Pelezinho777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pelezinho777

I think people are usually fine with certain genres having checkpoints. At times, it can even add more weight to your gameplay performance/choices, at the expense of your convenience.

This topic always comes up when a game--that seemingly needs it has a silly checkpoint/save system--ships with an awful save system. I remember a similar thread pop up when Hard Reset--a PC exclusive game--launched with it's save system. I bet this thread is in response to Shadowrun: Returns.

illmatic87

Mainly, in response to titles that HAD manual saving option, but NOT anymore (Latest Bioshock, Hitman and Splinter Cell games).