new desktop windows 8 or 7

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SergeantSwag (6 posts) -
im buying desktop for BF3 soon So question is Should i wait for windows 8 or buy a windows 7 pc now? i could also wait till 8 and buy 7 on sale
#2 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

windows 8 is basically a joke. unless you plan on using a touchscreen OR you are in desperate need of dx11.1 windows 8 has no value.

#3 Posted by ronvalencia (15433 posts) -

windows 8 is basically a joke. unless you plan on using a touchscreen OR you are in desperate need of dx11.1 windows 8 has no value.

ionusX
Windows 8 boots faster.
#4 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

ronvalencia

Windows 8 boots faster.

my goodness.. end of known universe a newer os boots miliseconds - 1 1/2 seconds faster than the last os.. must buy zomg

#5 Posted by ronvalencia (15433 posts) -

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

Windows 8 boots faster.

my goodness.. end of known universe a newer os boots miliseconds - 1 1/2 seconds faster than the last os.. must buy zomg

Acer Iconia W500's boot speed comparison between Win 7 and Win 8

From your own topic http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29184809/chh-windows-8-vs-7-benchmarks-arrive.-nvidia-regresses-amd-improves Radeon HD driver is faster in Windows 8 than Windows 7.

#6 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -

ionusX
Don't listen to comments like this. Basically it depends what u are going to do with it. If it's just for gaming, either Win7 or Win8 will do fine, although they are saying Win8 will have a bit better optimization (have to wait and see). If you are going to use Tablets or Windows Phone in the future, or you do work on the PC too and want Cloud synchronization, then best to hold off till Win 8. If you use a lot of Facebook, Tweeter, Email or Social things, you'll love Metro so Win8 too.
#7 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

FelipeInside

Don't listen to comments like this. Basically it depends what u are going to do with it. If it's just for gaming, either Win7 or Win8 will do fine, although they are saying Win8 will have a bit better optimization (have to wait and see). If you are going to use Tablets or Windows Phone in the future, or you do work on the PC too and want Cloud synchronization, then best to hold off till Win 8. If you use a lot of Facebook, Tweeter, Email or Social things, you'll love Metro so Win8 too.

the default UI is both inconvenient and annoying and the standard desktop mode. its rather basic and doesnt really do anything windows 7 hasnt already done to justify getting windows 8 only for a faster boot time, some likely unsupported visual enhancements (see dx10.1) and some un noticeable - small preformance improvements is not worth the price tag @ launch of 100 bucks for an OEM version when you can get win 7 come launch of win 8 day for 75 bucks or so and avoid the hassle of dealing with windows metro or any of the annoying bloatware that comes default with win 8 such as GFWL

furhtermore we are discussing the practical choice between win 7 and win 8 on a desktop/laptop dont drag your iconia tablet into this.

#8 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

the default UI is both inconvenient and annoying and the standard desktop mode. its rather basic and doesnt really do anything windows 7 hasnt already done

Inconvenient and annoying to you maybe, but I like how it gives you instant updates all on one screen. Like a big stock market monitor with updates constantly happening.

I understand that some people don't dig it. I guess I'm used to Metro cause I use Windows Phone.

Again, most people here that say Win8 sux is cause they are thinking as a gamer, not as a normal user, a business user, a social user etc...

NOTE: and yes, I said that if it's just for games, Win7 would do the job fine. I'm not bringing tablets into anything, I'm just giving the TC as much information for future use as possible.

#9 Posted by slipknot0129 (5506 posts) -

I want to use a tv tuner card but I heard windows 8 wont have media center. So I wont miss not having windows 8.

#10 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -

I want to use a tv tuner card but I heard windows 8 wont have media center. So I wont miss not having windows 8.

slipknot0129
I think it won't be included in the install but available as a download.
#11 Posted by slipknot0129 (5506 posts) -

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

FelipeInside

How much it cost to download it?

#12 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

slipknot0129

How much it cost to download it?

I don't know if it will be paid or free. Have to wait and see but I do know that it will be available for 8. more info: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/05/how-windows-8-will-include-media-center-as-a-paid-add-on/
#13 Posted by ronvalencia (15433 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

the default UI is both inconvenient and annoying and the standard desktop mode. its rather basic and doesnt really do anything windows 7 hasnt already done to justify getting windows 8 only for a faster boot time, some likely unsupported visual enhancements (see dx10.1) and some un noticeable - small preformance improvements is not worth the price tag @ launch of 100 bucks for an OEM version when you can get win 7 come launch of win 8 day for 75 bucks or so and avoid the hassle of dealing with windows metro or any of the annoying bloatware that comes default with win 8 such as GFWL

furhtermore we are discussing the practical choice between win 7 and win 8 on a desktop/laptop dont drag your iconia tablet into this.

NVIDIA's "DX10.0" GPUs has kitbash MS's DX10.1 standard e.g. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/10/22/nvidia-gpus-support-dx10-1-features-in-far-cry-2/1

DX10.1 type features is not useless since it was included in NVIDIA's proprietary "DX10.0" implementation.

#14 Posted by GarGx1 (3031 posts) -

My main problem with win 8, it looks worse than ugly. The asthetics may not have anything to do with the os's capabilities but you still have to look at it

#15 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -

My main problem with win 8, it looks worse than ugly. The asthetics may not have anything to do with the os's capabilities but you still have to look at it

GarGx1
Yeah that's something I hear some people talk about. I guess it comes down to personal taste there. I think the Metro Interface looks simple to use, colourful/vibrant and dynamic. Others see it dull and ugly.
#16 Posted by xXDrPainXx (4001 posts) -
It's 2012 and people are still paying for operating systems? Oh the joys of being part of MSDN since Windows XP.
#17 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -
Just get 7, Windows 8 is designed with tablets in mind mostly, for desktops, it's improvements don't exactly scream upgrade.
#18 Posted by Rickylee (1342 posts) -

Just get 7, Windows 8 is designed with tablets in mind mostly, for desktops, it's improvements don't exactly scream upgrade.EliteM0nk3y

It's a normal state of mind for me to be confussed but I didn't see the TC ask if he should upgrade. I thought it was for a new install. If that's the case why buy an older OS? Does Win 7 do something better then Win 8? Beside looks what's the difference? Just curious, I have no dog in this hunt.

#19 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]Just get 7, Windows 8 is designed with tablets in mind mostly, for desktops, it's improvements don't exactly scream upgrade.Rickylee

It's a normal state of mind for me to be confussed but I didn't see the TC ask if he should upgrade. I thought it was for a new install. If that's the case why buy an older OS? Does Win 7 do something better then Win 8? Beside looks what's the difference? Just curious, I have no dog in this hunt.

In my experience with it, it seems to be designed with tablets in mind, the desktop takes a backseat.

#20 Posted by xXDrPainXx (4001 posts) -
This is a consumer OS nothing more, nothing less. Just take a look at your school or if you work in a serious IT group for Enterprise businesses I'm sure you just recently updated to Windows 7 for a standard. This isn't for businesses or the "power users" it's for the mom that just bought a Dell computer.
#21 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Don't listen to comments like this. Basically it depends what u are going to do with it. If it's just for gaming, either Win7 or Win8 will do fine, although they are saying Win8 will have a bit better optimization (have to wait and see). If you are going to use Tablets or Windows Phone in the future, or you do work on the PC too and want Cloud synchronization, then best to hold off till Win 8. If you use a lot of Facebook, Tweeter, Email or Social things, you'll love Metro so Win8 too.ronvalencia

NVIDIA's "DX10.0" GPUs has kitbash MS's DX10.1 standard e.g. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/10/22/nvidia-gpus-support-dx10-1-features-in-far-cry-2/1

DX10.1 type features is not useless since it was included in NVIDIA's proprietary "DX10.0" implementation.

shame nobody USES dx10.1...

#22 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1851 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Don't listen to comments like this. Basically it depends what u are going to do with it. If it's just for gaming, either Win7 or Win8 will do fine, although they are saying Win8 will have a bit better optimization (have to wait and see). If you are going to use Tablets or Windows Phone in the future, or you do work on the PC too and want Cloud synchronization, then best to hold off till Win 8. If you use a lot of Facebook, Tweeter, Email or Social things, you'll love Metro so Win8 too.FelipeInside

the default UI is both inconvenient and annoying and the standard desktop mode. its rather basic and doesnt really do anything windows 7 hasnt already done

Inconvenient and annoying to you maybe, but I like how it gives you instant updates all on one screen. Like a big stock market monitor with updates constantly happening.

I understand that some people don't dig it. I guess I'm used to Metro cause I use Windows Phone.

Again, most people here that say Win8 sux is cause they are thinking as a gamer, not as a normal user, a business user, a social user etc...

NOTE: and yes, I said that if it's just for games, Win7 would do the job fine. I'm not bringing tablets into anything, I'm just giving the TC as much information for future use as possible.

Even Opera has extensions that give you up-to-the-minute updates for facebook, twitter, even deviant art, reddit, and stock tickers or whatever they are, and live news feeds right in the browser so you don't have to keep refreshing the pages to see updates. Windows 8 is just lame. Should have just been made it for mobile devices, and made a seprate OS for desktops/laptops.
#24 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1851 posts) -

I would say play it safe and go 7 as Wins 8 maybe the next Vista. Eventhough my rig is a Vista O.S.:P

roulettethedog
Vista is a far better OS than 8!
#25 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -
[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

I would say play it safe and go 7 as Wins 8 maybe the next Vista. Eventhough my rig is a Vista O.S.:P

AlexKidd5000

Between ur previous post and what you said now I can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe a bit of research next time before opening ur mouth?
#26 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -
It's 2012 and people are still paying for operating systems? Oh the joys of being part of MSDN since Windows XP. xXDrPainXx
Oh the joy of showing off and contributing absolutely ZERO to the discussion...
#27 Posted by SergeantSwag (6 posts) -
how much would it cost if i bought a windows 7 and then bought the os 8 as a install later? would it perform the same. sorry for the stuiped questions i just recently figured out how much better pc is
#28 Posted by FelipeInside (26062 posts) -
how much would it cost if i bought a windows 7 and then bought the os 8 as a install later? would it perform the same. sorry for the stuiped questions i just recently figured out how much better pc isSergeantSwag
If you buy a computer with Win7 now, you get to upgrade to Win8 for $15. BUT, that's with a computer and 7 on it. If you buy 7 alone, then I do not know if u can upgrade for cheap (I am guessing not). Ring Microsoft and ask, but if you're interested in 8, I think it's cheaper to wait and just get 8 when it launches.
#29 Posted by ronvalencia (15433 posts) -

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"] the default UI is both inconvenient and annoying and the standard desktop mode. its rather basic and doesnt really do anything windows 7 hasnt already done to justify getting windows 8 only for a faster boot time, some likely unsupported visual enhancements (see dx10.1) and some un noticeable - small preformance improvements is not worth the price tag @ launch of 100 bucks for an OEM version when you can get win 7 come launch of win 8 day for 75 bucks or so and avoid the hassle of dealing with windows metro or any of the annoying bloatware that comes default with win 8 such as GFWL

ionusX

shame nobody USES dx10.1...

Did you read my bit-tech link? FarCry 2 USES DX10.1 and NVIDIA's DX10.X kitbash.

"The Ubisoft team wanted to enhance the anti-aliasing through the reading of the multisampled depth Z-buffers, explained Vincent Greco, Worldwide Production Technical Coordinator at Ubisoft. "This feature was enabled by either using DX10.1 or using a DX10.0 extension supported by Nvidia DirectX 10 GPUs."

Note that DX11 is a superset of DX10.

DX10.1 game list, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_10_support The list doesn't show NV's DX10.X proprietary extensions/kitbash i.e. refer to NVIDIA's The Way It's Meant To Be Played" list during DX10.x era CUDA GPUs for indications.

#30 Posted by roleplayer2004 (921 posts) -

I wouldn't get Windows 8 for another 2 years.

#31 Posted by Daanyal (773 posts) -

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

Windows 8 boots faster.

actually, it's well over a good 30-40 seconds faster. It's almost instant on my Latitude XT3.

#32 Posted by Diwashb (519 posts) -

Windows 7 . But if you prefer using a mouse like win 7 in win 8 its still possible. they still allow you to use the desktop like win 8 and there is the tile interface as well. IDK your choice.

#33 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1851 posts) -
[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

FelipeInside

Between ur previous post and what you said now I can see you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe a bit of research next time before opening ur mouth?

Windows 8 is just the result of microsoft panicing, and creating a mess of an OS that no one needs. Windows 8 should have just been a cleaner, and lighter, with alot of other little improvements, and called it service pack 2.
#35 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7563 posts) -

I think windows 8 is going suck as much as vista did.

#36 Posted by ronvalencia (15433 posts) -

I think windows 8 is going suck as much as vista did.

Bikouchu35
Unlike Vista, Win8 is faster than Win7. Metro UI replaces the old Start Menu. Treat Win8 like Win7 SP2.
#37 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23771 posts) -

watch some videos of windows 8 and decide for yourself
it's faster

boots faster

obv has more up to date drivers when you install, so less downloading random drivers when you install which is nice.
there's a restore to factory defaults feature which is really nice.

also a lot more cloud synching of profile stuff, which is nice when you format.

#38 Posted by neo_87 (394 posts) -
It's 2012 and people are still paying for operating systems? Oh the joys of being part of MSDN since Windows XP. xXDrPainXx
Wow so you must have saved atleast 1000$ . But thats like a day's earnings for some of the rich blokes here.
#39 Posted by xXDrPainXx (4001 posts) -
[QUOTE="xXDrPainXx"]It's 2012 and people are still paying for operating systems? Oh the joys of being part of MSDN since Windows XP. neo_87
Wow so you must have saved atleast 1000$ . But thats like a day's earnings for some of the rich blokes here.

It's the benefits of working in the IT world bub. Obviously I could just pay retail but nah...I'll take my free copy thanks to my employers.
#40 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23771 posts) -
all engineer majors at my school get MSDNA crap for free ;>
#41 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1851 posts) -

it's faster

boots faster

obv has more up to date drivers when you install, so less downloading random drivers when you install which is nice.

JigglyWiggly_
Why couldn't they just add that stuff, but without metro?
#42 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23771 posts) -
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

it's faster

boots faster

AlexKidd5000

i didn make it how shud i know ;p
#43 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1851 posts) -
[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

it's faster

boots faster

JigglyWiggly_

Well what good are you? XP
#44 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23771 posts) -
[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] Why couldn't they just add that stuff, but without metro?

Well what good are you? XP

I made FAT also i am rich