New controllers and avoid tendonitis

#1 Edited by evildead6789 (7271 posts) -

Well , lately I have been the victim of tendonitis, too much computer leisure time and especially too much gaming

I was gaming with a mouse & keyboard in the past, and then i started gaming with the xbox controller, because i wanted to play on my tv and also because my hands hurt. Mouse and keyboard put your hands in an unnatural position, and when you get old enough, you start to feel that.

I know you must be thinking, you're an old fart but i'm not that old (in my thirties) and you will still love gaming when you get older.

After a couple of years, my hands started hurting from the xbox controller too, apparently because you control the analog sticks with your thumbs, you move your thumbs in an unnatural way with analog sticks and that inflammates a certain tendon that makes your whole hand hurt.

So now what, quit gaming? dear lord , I better kill myself then, the world is too boring without games, but there's hope and I'm not talking about the wii or kinect.

for starters we have this

The virtuix omni

The virtuix omni is very promising, the thing is , you can't really use it without virtual reality glasses. you can buy it already but the price tag is 500$ for the omni and 350$ for the oculus (vr glasses). The oculus isn't actually released yet but you can buy the dev kit.

This is still all pretty new and i'm sure it will be fun, for the moment i rather wait till it get's more support in games and the oculus is officially released. Not to mention, this is a physical activity.

So my first thought was, since Ii still play a lot of arcade games and sports games (like boxing, mortal kombat, street fighter) I bought this

I could play some games at least again, allthough it's not completely functional for everything besides fighting games and arcade games. I did manage to play dark souls with it though, and i just use the switch to emulate the right stick when the camera wasn't how i liked it.

The thing is my hand stopped hurting immediately, and before I had this I was only playing a card game with my xbox controller (for the past few months) simply because i couldn't play anything else, but even with that card game (magic) , my hands started hurting more and more everyday. All because of the xbox controller.

Still as glad as i am , I can't play fps games with this, or nothing where you have to aim anyway, so then I found this.

The 3M 550 gpl

It is actually a mouse, and it works extremely well, for games I gotta say it even works more precise for me and it is faster, however this could be because i'm handicapped with a normal mouse because of tendonitis but no pain with this at all

However my left hand still hurts from the unnatural position on the keyboard. If first thought about this

it is a lot less straining for your hands than a normal keyboard but your hand is still not in a natural position. Then I thought, why not use a joystick for moving around and some hotkeys

a joystick that can be used left or right handed like the thrustmaster 16000m(it has interchangable parts)

All you need to do is assign the buttons to keys in a free software called joytokey

Then you use those keys in whatever game you like, since the 3m 550 gpl works as a mouse, you're good to go. No more unnatural positions, no tendonitis

So my fellow gamers, maybe you should think about your future self if you're a hardcore gamer like me, I'm not in pain anymore, as long as I don't type to much. I will heal over time though, but I can assure you tendonitis is no joke, opening a door, opening a can or bottle, eating. It hurts so much , the moment you do something with it , you sometimes think about cutting off your hands.

#2 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3542 posts) -

I've been doing it 30 years and I'm ok :)

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (7246 posts) -

@evildead6789 none of what you've mentioned should be easier to control or more comfortable.

Unless there's a controller that makes you control games with the mind (which BTW there's something already in development but not for gaming ATM), I really don't see a solution

#4 Posted by evildead6789 (7271 posts) -

I'm talking about hardcore gaming,

you don't have the time for that

#5 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3542 posts) -

Really...?

#6 Edited by darktruth007 (504 posts) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGxwbhkDjZM

#7 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23416 posts) -
#8 Posted by evildead6789 (7271 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I'm talking about hardcore gaming,

you don't have the time for that

Wouldn't mouse and keyboard imply hardcore gaming?

Mortal1 from quake live is over 40 years old and has been using kb&m since forever and he's fine.

http://www.quakelive.com/#!profile/summary/mortal1

He's a high ranked dueler too lol

yeah but has he been playing since he was very young

I've been gaming since i was 7 and now I'm 36.

With hardcore gaming i mean gaming 8 hours + a day

#9 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3542 posts) -

@evildead6789: Lol, I didn't realise there was an actual minimum hours to spend a day gaming before you could be classed as "Hardcore".

#10 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23416 posts) -
@klunt_bumskrint said:

@evildead6789: Lol, I didn't realise there was an actual minimum hours to spend a day gaming before you could be classed as "Hardcore".

That's the mmorpg definition, or well the f2p mmorpg definition.

aka this type of canser:

No, you're whining that people who put time and energy into getting good gear have an advantage over someone just sits at the computer and tries to will yourself into good gear. If I spent a ton of time earning all my +12 PvP gear then some casual player came up, having a third the amount of play time as me, and was able to fight me on equal footing, I'd feel cheated.

My definition of 'hardcore' is different, and basically sums down to this: If you lost to a 'casual' and played 3-10x and lose, you should uninstall.

I personally play less than 30minutes a day if even.

#11 Edited by Chatch09 (284 posts) -

Wow, you guys are really closed minded....Anyway, I think its a good thread TC, I was actually looking at doing the same thing, using a left-handed flight stick and a vertical mouse to prevent the pain I get from extended gaming sessions. I ended up picking the Roccat Kone because its slightly angled and using the PS Move controller for movement like this guy. It definitely helps but its not perfect, but far better than a keyboard and regular style mouse for me.

Edit: Also using these foot pedals for jump/sprint/crouch, works great.

#12 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23416 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

Wow, you guys are really closed minded....Anyway, I think its a good thread TC, I was actually looking at doing the same thing, using a left-handed flight stick and a vertical mouse to prevent the pain I get from extended gaming sessions. I ended up picking the Roccat Kone because its slightly angled and using the PS Move controller for movement like this guy. It definitely helps but its not perfect, but far better than a keyboard and regular style mouse for me.

Edit: Also using these foot pedals for jump/sprint/crouch, works great.

The most comfortable mouse is the wheel mouse optical,I am not kidding. (I have over 20 mice)

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D66-00029-Wheel-Mouse-Optical/dp/B00006B7HB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402158473&sr=8-2&keywords=wheel+mouse+optical

If I stopped playing games completely then I'd probably use that. It's quite good for games as well if you change the polling rate to 500hz or 1000hz. I don't see how using joysticks or footpedals would relieve strain. You guys seem to need a better desk setup.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46294175/Setup/resize/1-12-2014/2014-01-12%2001.02.001.png

This is old, but you can see how much mouse room I have. (I have more now). Most people seem to use such a tiny mousepad and that makes your setup very claustrophobic. Also get a mouse bungee if you don't have one. Putting more crap on your desk like joysticks is going to make things worse.

#13 Posted by Chatch09 (284 posts) -

Yet again, the point was missed altogether....

#14 Posted by glez13 (8574 posts) -

I also used to get injured with both M&K and gamepads but then I realized that it was all about posture. Even the setting of your monitor/TV can lead to neck/eye problems. Now I have reached my thirties and I can actually withstand long gaming sessions better than when I was in my teens or twenties.

#15 Edited by glez13 (8574 posts) -

If you think about it that's really hardcore. 8 hours is basically like the work standard in many countries. If you reach that amount it means that it's basically the only thing you did all day long.

#16 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23416 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

Which was?

I'm saying there is no need to resort to these sort of things you get a proper setup and a comfortable mouse like the microsoft WMO and an apple keyboard(scissor switches, it's what I use).

Lay your wrist flat on your mousepad, get a large mousepad and lay it vertically. Most of your arm will be on the mousepad and you use your arm for mouse movements.I put about half my arm on the mousepad, but I still use my wrist mainly instead of my arm.

You can also lay your keyboard on your lap, this reduces strain even more. I don't do this, but a lot of people like to.

#17 Posted by evildead6789 (7271 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

Which was?

I'm saying there is no need to resort to these sort of things you get a proper setup and a comfortable mouse like the microsoft WMO and an apple keyboard(scissor switches, it's what I use).

Lay your wrist flat on your mousepad, get a large mousepad and lay it vertically. Most of your arm will be on the mousepad and you use your arm for mouse movements.I put about half my arm on the mousepad, but I still use my wrist mainly instead of my arm.

You can also lay your keyboard on your lap, this reduces strain even more. I don't do this, but a lot of people like to.

a proper setup still puts your hand in an unnatural position,

the wrist joint is pushed against your forearm

you could put your wrist at eye height to avoid this

but joystick grab is still an easier setup then

#18 Posted by glez13 (8574 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

Which was?

Another easy trick for the keyboard if you want to use the standard tray/desk surface is to use another mouse pad with a foamy base just to rest your keyboard arm. Just that small amount is enough to counter the hard surface, unless you already suffer a chronic problem.

#19 Posted by insane_metalist (5912 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

Which was?

I game a lot with keyboard on my lap, it really works great.

#20 Edited by Blutfahne (210 posts) -

You game too much bro. At least stop pew pewing all day and play some mouse only simulation games to ease the tension. I like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Kerbal and shit like that. Also the higher you can sit the less jacked your arms will get as they can naturally hang down. Get some of those wrist pillows too they work wonders.

#21 Posted by Chatch09 (284 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_: The point was that most gaming peripherals are not ergonomically designed, like TC said, the standard keyboard and mouse on a desk gets very uncomfortable after a while because your forearm is in an unnatural position, but then again, not everyone is the same. TC just wanted to show others a few different ways to avoid this problem that some people have while playing games for an extended amount of time. I don't have tendonitis but I still get pretty bad aches and pains after a couple hours of gaming on your average setup. For me, it goes deeper than just peripherals, I'm also in the process of designing and building my own chair to meet my specific requirements (I have a long lost thread about it in this forum somewhere). I admit I was a little frustrated, but I didn't intend to start an arguement although it definitely seems like it, sorry about that.