needs advice on motherboard/cooler for 4770K

#1 Posted by mixedplanet (1214 posts) -

hey guys, I am finally moving away from AMD rig to Intel. I don't really see the successor to FX processors unless APU gets hella powerful next year.

Anyway, I need some advice on performance motherboard/performance cooler (looking at corsair liquid cooling series). What company and brand of motherboard to get?

#2 Edited by BattleSpectre (6393 posts) -

Hyper 212 Evo

Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO

Enjoy.

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (8374 posts) -
@mixedplanet said:

hey guys, I am finally moving away from AMD rig to Intel. I don't really see the successor to FX processors unless APU gets hella powerful next year.

Anyway, I need some advice on performance motherboard/performance cooler (looking at corsair liquid cooling series). What company and brand of motherboard to get?

Corsair 100i, you'll need a fair large case for that as well.

As for MOBO, that depends on how many GPUs you aiming to run...

#4 Edited by mixedplanet (1214 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:
@mixedplanet said:

I have bought into the philosophy of using 1 extremely powerful GPU. In this case I already own a gtx 780 Ti

#5 Posted by 04dcarraher (19910 posts) -

I like to stay away from all in one liquid coolers , because if the pump dies your in trouble at least with an air cooler you can still cool passively if a fan dies and can be easily be replaced.

I would get a coolermaster 812 cooler

Any ASUS Z87 based board

#6 Edited by PredatorRules (8374 posts) -

@mixedplanet said:

@PredatorRules said:
@mixedplanet said:

I have bought into the philosophy of using 1 extremely powerful GPU. In this case I already own a gtx 780 Ti

Ok, so I recommend on brands such as MSI, Asus, ASRock and Gigabyte.

The cheapest you can get as Z87 chipest, I recommend on MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate or ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer if you plan on SLI on the future of that 780ti (20$ more but adds the SLI option)

EDIT: also I've just seen a review on Noctua D15 brand new air CPU cooler and it runs lower in temp than leading water cooling, might want to wait before you pay 100$ on water cooling.

#7 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3798 posts) -

I use a Cosair H110 on my 4770k. But its a large radiator with double fans so it requires a big case... i had to cut some metal on my case to get it to fit properly.

You can get away with a smaller one and it'll probably cool it enough depending on how much you have it overclocked. I use an H60 cooler on my 2600k and i have it overclocked to 4.6ghz and it keeps it nicely cooled surprisingly.... but thats the 2600k, you could probably cool it with anything since its such an amazing cpu.

The 4770k's do get very hot though when you put extra voltage on them compared to my other second gen cpu, so thats why i went with the big radiator. I can only get my 4770k to 4.5ghz, any higher and the temps go crazy with the voltage required to stabilize it.

** also, if you do get a H110, don't bother getting different fans for it, the fans that come with it are very powerful and actually make more airflow then the Noctua 140mm fans... but are a bit louder then the Noctuas at full tilt. But actually the Noctuas i tested cool my radiator almost as well as the corsair fans but in my opinion are not worth using unless you have your pc cpu at 100% all the time and need it quiet.

#8 Edited by Jorbit (35 posts) -

I got the Asus Maximus VI for mine and it is running like a champ, it is very user friendly and set my ram timings just right after over clocking. If you are planning to overclock you will want liquid cooling, I went with cosair hydro series H60. It was a bit of a pain to install but well worth it so far and you can also youtube installation instructions if you're unsure of what to do. Hope this helps.