Needing new PC speakers. Any suggestions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by airshocker (28864 posts) -

So my current PC speakers, some no-name brand I got at Best Buy a few years ago are finally going. Need some suggestions on what to get next. Firstly, here are the requirements: They have to fit on my desk. Currently the setup I have are the two speakers flanking my monitor with the subwoofer to the right and behind the left speaker. My desk is big but definitely not big enough for some of these sound systems that have more than three pieces. I don't need any type of surround sound, but I want something that isn't going to fizzle out on me after a couple of years. I do have surround sound gaming headsets which I use for games but need speakers for movies, TV shows, and games that don't need my headset. Oh, and I'd like to spend under $50.

So, any suggestions?

#2 Posted by warriorlax1234 (338 posts) -

Logitec and creative have some bad-ass sound systems out with a lot of bang for your buck

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-004H-00005&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-0S6-004H-00005&gclid=CLexj_3X-LgCFQ6f4Aod1w8AKw

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=562204&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Happy shopping

#3 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Would you be willing to go up to $100? If so, I could get you new Audioengine A2's for $100, half off:)

#4 Posted by airshocker (28864 posts) -

Would you be willing to go up to $100? If so, I could get you new Audioengine A2's for $100, half off:)

Wolfetan

Meh, that's a little too expensive for speakers. I'm currently saving up for the next generation of Astro headsets since my A40s are showing signs of wear and tear. I just need new speakers for media and games that don't require my headset.

#5 Posted by airshocker (28864 posts) -

What do you guys thinks about these?

#6 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6618 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

airshocker

Meh, that's a little too expensive for speakers. I'm currently saving up for the next generation of Astro headsets since my A40s are showing signs of wear and tear. I just need new speakers for media and games that don't require my headset.

$100 is on the very, very low end of the price scale for speakers. Astros are totally overpriced, mediocre headsets anyways. The fact that they are able to sell them for $200 blows my mind. There is no need to save up for the new, expensive Astros when you can simply get a better headset for around 100 dollars (e.g. Audio Technica AD700, Audio technica m50, Sennheisers, Grado, etc...) I seriously doubt the 42 dollar 2.1 system you posted will impress at all. Sound equipment is something that can last for decades (unlike ANY piece of electronics) so its worth spending hundreds and even thousands.
#7 Posted by airshocker (28864 posts) -

$100 is on the very, very low end of the price scale for speakers. Astros are totally overpriced, mediocre headsets anyways. The fact that they are able to sell them for $200 blows my mind. There is no need to save up for the new, expensive Astros when you can simply get a better headset for around 100 dollars (e.g. Audio Technica AD700, Audio technica m50, Sennheisers, Grado, etc...) I seriously doubt the 42 dollar 2.1 system you posted will impress at all. Sound equipment is something that can last for decades (unlike ANY piece of electronics) so its worth spending hundreds and even thousands.Mozelleple112

I don't need high-end speakers, however.

#8 Posted by KHAndAnime (13309 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]$100 is on the very, very low end of the price scale for speakers. Astros are totally overpriced, mediocre headsets anyways. The fact that they are able to sell them for $200 blows my mind. There is no need to save up for the new, expensive Astros when you can simply get a better headset for around 100 dollars (e.g. Audio Technica AD700, Audio technica m50, Sennheisers, Grado, etc...) I seriously doubt the 42 dollar 2.1 system you posted will impress at all. Sound equipment is something that can last for decades (unlike ANY piece of electronics) so its worth spending hundreds and even thousands.airshocker

Do you plan on going deaf anytime soon? Why spend the next 4 years of your life spending $100 on a couple of cheap pairs of crap-out speakers when you can spend $100 and have better sounding speakers that will last 20+ years? Even a lot of $100 pairs will crap out on you (particularly Logitech's), but the A2's are a really good deal.
#9 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

I'd just recommend getting headphones..

#10 Posted by kraken2109 (12980 posts) -

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]$100 is on the very, very low end of the price scale for speakers. Astros are totally overpriced, mediocre headsets anyways. The fact that they are able to sell them for $200 blows my mind. There is no need to save up for the new, expensive Astros when you can simply get a better headset for around 100 dollars (e.g. Audio Technica AD700, Audio technica m50, Sennheisers, Grado, etc...) I seriously doubt the 42 dollar 2.1 system you posted will impress at all. Sound equipment is something that can last for decades (unlike ANY piece of electronics) so its worth spending hundreds and even thousands.KHAndAnime

Do you plan on going deaf anytime soon? Why spend the next 4 years of your life spending $100 on a couple of cheap pairs of crap-out speakers when you can spend $100 and have better sounding speakers that will last 20+ years? Even a lot of $100 pairs will crap out on you (particularly Logitech's), but the A2's are a really good deal.

The wharfedales I'm using as my front L/R are 30 years old, they haven't been used for 30 years straight but a good set of speakers can certainly last a long time!

On topic, you should look for second hand speakers and amps, small 'PC' type sets will never compare to a decent pair of bookshelf speakers and an amp, even if they're 10 years old.