Need some help with gaming computer specs.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

Ok so below are my choices. The original computer I listed can only run slideshow apparently, So I will list all the options I have, and I need the experienced SW users to tell me which of these desktops are more powerful and can run games at least decently if not better than decently.

Edit: Found slightly better computers:

Computer 1:

Processor 1.5 GHz Core 2 Due P8400

RAM 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Hard Drive 750 GB SATA

Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA Geforce GT720M

Computer 2:

Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6 GHz (3 MB Cache)

8 GB DDR3L SDRAM

500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

14-Inch Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GT 820M

Computer 3:

Processor 3.5 GHz AMD A Series

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 1000 GB SATA

Computer 4:

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7-4500U

RAM 8 GB DDR3

Memory Speed 1600 MHz

Computer 5:

Processor 2.6 GHz Core i5 3230M

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 500 GB SATA

Graphics Coprocessor Integrated

These are the best I could find (assuming that these are better than the ones before that is.) these are the high-end $850-$1140 laptops in the best store I could find in the area. Dynamos.

So out of these, what would be decent?

Computer 1:

AMD E1-2100 1.0 GHz Processor (1 MB Cache)

4 GB DDR3 RAM

320 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

15.6-Inch Screen, ATI RADEON 8210

Computer 2:

AMD A4-5000 1.5 GHz

4 GB DDR3

Computer 3:

AMD E-Series Dual-Core E1-1200 1.4 GHz (1 MB Cache)

4 GB DDR3 RAM

15.6-Inch Screen, ATI Radeon HD 7310 Integrated Graphics

Computer 4:

Intel Celeron N2815 1.86 gHz

4 GB DDR3

Computer 5:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2020M 2.4 GHz Processor (2 MB Cache)

4 GB DDR3 RAM

Computer 6:

ntel Pentium-2127U Processor

4 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Computer 7:

Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz (2 MB Cache)

2 GB DDR3L SDRAM

16 GB Solid-State Drive

14.0-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics

Computer 8:

Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8 GHz (3 MB Cache)

4 GB DDR3L SDRAM

15.6-Inch Screen, Intel HD Graphics 4000

Computer 9:

AMD E2-3000 DC 1.65 GHz

4 GB DDR3L SDRAM

15.6-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 8280 graphics

Computer 10:

Intel Celeron-2955U Processor

4 GB DDR3

#2 Posted by lostrib (42190 posts) -

That depends, how much do you enjoy slideshows?

#3 Posted by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

@lostrib said:

That depends, how much do you enjoy slideshows?

Are you being serious for real right now?

#4 Posted by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

Here are the full specs of the device:

AMD E-Series Dual-Core E1-1200 1.4 GHz (1 MB Cache)

4 GB DDR3 RAM

15.6-Inch Screen, ATI Radeon HD 7310 Integrated Graphics

#5 Posted by 123pazu (42 posts) -

Candy Crush Saga will freeze your system...

#6 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17332 posts) -

It's more powerful than the 1.5ghz dualcore Intel Atom n550 in my netbook. But, that's not saying much. You could probably play some late 90's/early 2000's games on it.

Quake 2, Red Alert 2, Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun ran well on mine.

#7 Posted by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's more powerful than the 1.5ghz dualcore Intel Atom n550 in my netbook. But, that's not saying much. You could probably play some late 90's/early 2000's games on it.

I can't even play Sonic Generations with it?

#8 Posted by Couth_ (10309 posts) -

You can't play a thing on those specs

#9 Edited by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

Ok ok.

So how about these specs:

AMD A4-5000 1.5 GHz

4 GB DDR3

I can do something with this right?

#10 Posted by Couth_ (10309 posts) -

It's time to build a new PC

#11 Edited by bobbetybob (19297 posts) -

Here are the minimum requirements for Sonic Generations

That's JUST to run it, it'll probably play considerably worse than on a console with those specs.

I suggest spending more than $100 on a computer if you want to play games.

#12 Edited by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

It's hard to say. Those specs defintielya ren't going to perform well at all in modern, demanding 3D games. But 2D games? 2.5D games? Older or less demanidng 3D games? Absolutely.

GOG.com should be your first stop, but there are plenty fo games on Steam that will run fine. From Hearthstone to Banner Saga, to broken age to upcoming RPG's like Pillars of Eternity and Tides of Numera, to Civ 4 and 5, to Galactic Civ, to Sins fo solar empire to Endless Space, to the odl Baldrus' gate games, to Diablo 3 and Dota 2, to Don't starve to spelunky and Fez.

There will be mroe games that you could ever hope to finish available, but games like Rome 2 To tal war, or thief, or Crysis aren't going to run veyr well if at all.

Actualy looking at the benchmarks, scratch Civ V off that list. BAsically, your device isn't meant for gaming - but 2D and odler 3D games should do ok.

#13 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17332 posts) -

If you want to play PS3/360 spec games, you need to at least bump up your CPU. The minimum PC specs for Sonics Generation PC are:

Minimum Requirements: Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP

Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2×2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent

2GB RAM (Windows 7/XP)/3GB RAM (Windows Vista)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2900

11 GB free hard drive space

#14 Posted by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

I changed the thread with all my (Only) buying choices avaialble. Please go over them and point out which is the most powerful (since if I go out of area I will have to pay a hefty import fee.)

#15 Edited by hellrazr09 (18 posts) -

Pick a Game you want to play.

Check online or the official websites of those games for the Minimum and RecommendedSystem Requirements .

Base your decisions upon that.

Here is System Requirements for Crysis 3 . Check out the System Requirements tab on there.

#16 Edited by Couth_ (10309 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

I changed the thread with all my (Only) buying choices avaialble. Please go over them and point out which is the most powerful (since if I go out of area I will have to pay a hefty import fee.)

None of those are worth buying. Save up and buy a pre built with a nice i5 or something and then stick 750ti in it if you are that strapped for cash

#17 Edited by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@TigerSuperman said:

None of those are worth buying. Save up and buy a pre built with a nice i5 or something and then stick 750ti in it if you are that strapped for cash

Which I can't due because i would have to buy out of area and have to pay around an extra near $2000 USD in import fees. That's why I need someone to point out the most powerful computer from that list.

Sonic Generations is an example of what I am looking for because my 2009 crappy Thinkpadt61 can run it on low without frame rate studders but is still quite bad. So basically any computer in that list that is more powerful than an I3 HD4000 by a "large" margin is the one I want.

#18 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17332 posts) -

They look like entry-level laptop specs to me. But, if they are desktops, I'd go with No. 5 although my confidence level for all of them doing any gaming is very low. If they were mine, I wouldn't attempt any gaming on them (risk of overheating).

#19 Edited by jake44 (2045 posts) -

@TigerSuperman: None of those a good enough for gaming.

#20 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

What is your level of knowledge of PCs, TC?

None of those PCs are good. It doesn't take very long to learn how to build a PC (Newegg has tutorials on Youtube you can watch) if you have a couple hours.

Once you know how to do it then you just pick a selection of games you'd like to play, read what their spec requirements are, and go from there.

If this isn't an option for you, and you've only got the ability to buy what's in your original post then you won't be able to do any modern gaming. You probably won't be doing any last gen gaming either.

#21 Posted by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

They look like entry-level laptop specs to me. But, if they are desktops, I'd go with No. 5 although my confidence level for all of them doing any gaming is very low. If they were mine, I wouldn't attempt any gaming on them (risk of overheating).

Well this is why I used Sonic Generations as an example. While I am no tech expert, I think almost if not all the computers in that list are more powerful than an I3 thinkpad with HD4000 intel graphics 1GB of ram. They were able to run Sonic Generations (dry) and that's the computer i currently have, although most of everything else, including some PSX games, seem to chug sometimes. I think at least a few of those could run Sonic generation slightly above bare huh?

#22 Edited by bobbetybob (19297 posts) -
@TigerSuperman said:

@Couth_ said:

@TigerSuperman said:

Which I can't due because i would have to buy out of area and have to pay around an extra near $2000 USD in import fees. That's why I need someone to point out the most powerful computer from that list.

Sonic Generations is an example of what I am looking for because my 2009 crappy Thinkpadt61 can run it on low without frame rate studders but is still quite bad. So basically any computer in that list that is more powerful than an I3 HD4000 by a "large" margin is the one I want.

Those PC's are basically going to give the same performance as that laptop does. Your best bet is to build your own PC and import the parts separately to avoid any import fees.

#23 Posted by hellrazr09 (18 posts) -

Check out Lenovo Flex 14 or Flex 15 @ $469.00.

#24 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7617 posts) -

It only takes 2 hours and a beer to build one.

#25 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10817 posts) -

Gaming computer? Spend the money and buy one that is actually up to snuff.

#26 Edited by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@TigerSuperman said:

@Couth_ said:

@TigerSuperman said:

Those PC's are basically going to give the same performance as that laptop does. Your best bet is to build your own PC and import the parts separately to avoid any import fees.

You just told me to import parts, to avoid paying import fees, when I would still have to pay the import fees.... I am looking right now at 2 other options that seem to ME to be significantly better, I'll post them in a second so you can see if it's good.

@R3FURBISHED said:

Gaming computer? Spend the money and buy one that is actually up to snuff.

You might want to read the rest of the thread.

#28 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17332 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Well this is why I used Sonic Generations as an example. While I am no tech expert, I think almost if not all the computers in that list are more powerful than an I3 thinkpad with HD4000 intel graphics 1GB of ram. They were able to run Sonic Generations (dry) and that's the computer i currently have, although most of everything else, including some PSX games, seem to chug sometimes. I think at least a few of those could run Sonic generation slightly above bare huh?

To be honest..... I think the i3 on your lappie is beefier than most in the list with the exception of the No. 5 I mentioned earlier. Again, that's not saying much.

You can try:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G46VW-Notebook.86486.0.html

That site is good for researching what you need. The link above shows what I decided to get for a gaming lappie.

Once you browse enough reviews, you'll get a feel for estimated performance of those in your list and then decide what you need.

#30 Posted by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

To be honest..... I think the i3 on your lappie is beefier than most in the list with the exception of the No. 5 I mentioned earlier. Again, that's not saying much.

You can try:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G46VW-Notebook.86486.0.html

That site is good for researching what you need. The link above shows what I decided to get for a gaming lappie.

Once you browse enough reviews, you'll get a feel for estimated performance of those in your list and then decide what you need.

The issue, is that these are not laptops. As I mentioned before.

#31 Edited by TigerSuperman (3489 posts) -

OK Guys, I went to the more expensive computers and there are the best there is in my whole area, so let me know if these are better:

Computer 1:

RAM 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Hard Drive 750 GB SATA

Computer 2:

8 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Computer 3:

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 1000 GB SATA

Computer 4:

RAM 8 GB DDR3

Memory Speed 1600 MHz

Computer 5:

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 500 GB SATA

These are the best I could find (assuming that these are better than the ones before that is.) these are the high-end $850-$1140 laptops in the best store I could find in the area. Dynamos.

#33 Edited by Wasdie (50592 posts) -

Moved thread to the PC board.

#34 Edited by PredatorRules (8774 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

OK Guys, I went to the more expensive computers and there are the best there is in my whole area, so let me know if these are better:

Computer 1:

RAM 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Hard Drive 750 GB SATA

Computer 2:

8 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Computer 3:

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 1000 GB SATA

Computer 4:

RAM 8 GB DDR3

Memory Speed 1600 MHz

Computer 5:

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 500 GB SATA

Computer 2 hands down.

#35 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17332 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

Computer 1:

RAM 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Hard Drive 750 GB SATA

Computer 2:

8 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Computer 3:

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 1000 GB SATA

Computer 4:

RAM 8 GB DDR3

Memory Speed 1600 MHz

Computer 5:

RAM 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 500 GB SATA

From what I can interpret, I think you're looking at laptop CPUs and assuming they're the same ones used for desktop CPUs. They're not the same unless you're looking at very tiny PCs (that will fit on your hand) which use laptop components. Most "real" desktop i3 CPUs (that go in a regular PC tower) start at out something like 2.6, 2.9, or more commonly, 3.0ghz and above.

An example of a laptop CPU in your list is Computer 5, that's the same processor in my gaming laptop. You're not going to find it in a lot of desktop PCs except for the tiny ultra-low power ones not designed for gaming.

Here is a good example of a desktop i3.

hthttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116946tp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116773

The i3 I showed you would be what most of us here consider a desktop CPU.

#36 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (1441 posts) -

Can you order things off the internet? Don't buy from any store it's over priced and you wont get anything half decent.

#37 Edited by nicecall (527 posts) -

I have no personal experience with the other computers except Computer 1 you listed. My laptop has a P8400 cpu, it was so so back in 2007. but its useless for the most part in current times. I remember even back then i could barely run some games on it. So don't go with a P8400 - its the type of cpu you only would use now a days to do bit torrent downloads and web browsing...

I also had a E8400 Wolfdale core2duo, but that was a desktop cpu and it was super fast for only 2 cores, and even benching its cores to a more modern cpu, its not that far behind considering its age.

#38 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17332 posts) -

Don't waste your money until you've done some research. Don't be fooled by computer resellers in your area that are passing off net-PCs as real desktop PCs. They're woefully underpowered for the money you're paying.

#39 Edited by hellrazr09 (18 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto:

computer 2, 4 and computer 5 seem to be the better among the list.

computer 2

i5 4200U 1.6 GHz Processor has Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4400 @ 200 MHz.

computer 4

i7 4500U 1.8 GHz Processor has Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4400 @ 200 MHz.

computer 5

i5 3230M 2.6 GHz Processor has Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4000 @ 650 MHz.

-

Computer 5 seems to best among them based on clock speeds.

But if battery life of laptop is important to you,then newer models i5 4200U and i7 4500U are better as they require less power.

if the primary purpose is gaming then

Also Check out latest AMD equivalent A10-4600M / A10-5745M / A10-5757M which are much better than i5 HD4000@650 MHz or i7 HD4400@200 MHz and can run Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite at Low-Medium settings at 15-20+ fps.

for General purpose/Non-Gaming Related tasks, then the Intel stronger CPU cores offers better solution than AMD .

#40 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17332 posts) -

@hellrazr09 said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

computer 2, 4 and computer 5 seem to be the better among the list.

computer 2

i5 4200U 1.6 GHz Processor has Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4400 @ 200 MHz.

computer 4

i7 4500U 1.8 GHz Processor has Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4400 @ 200 MHz.

computer 5

i5 3230M 2.6 GHz Processor has Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4000 @ 650 MHz.

-

Computer 5 seems to best among them based on clock speeds.

But if battery life of laptop is important to you,then newer models i5 4200U and i7 4500U are better as they require less power.

if the primary purpose is gaming then

Also Check out latest AMD equivalent A10-4600M / A10-5745M / A10-5757M which are much better than i5 HD4000@650 MHz or i7 HD4400@200 MHz and can run Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite at Low-Medium settings at 15-20+ fps.

for General purpose/Non-Gaming Related tasks, then the Intel stronger CPU cores offers better solution than AMD .

The thing is he wants a desktop PC. Those CPUs don't look like desktop CPUs to me. I've seen net-PCs that looked like regular PC towers. But, they use laptop components instead of those purposely designed for desktops. I simply would not spend my money on them.

#41 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1441 posts) -

Ya do not buy any of those computers. They are all garbage if you want to game. Honestly do some reading and find the best ones online for your price range and look for the best prices for that model. DO not and I mean DO not buy from some random computer shop, that fixes and restores and resells or any of that jaz. I used to work in one, places are nothing but scams. A little bit of reading goes a long way and you know at least you have purchased something good rather then junk for your money like most people seem to do when buying computers.