Need some advice on 2.1 speakers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (671 posts) -

Hi,

I'm waiting for a refund for some speakers that I had to return, and then I should choose a new model. Below is the list of my options (the offer is kinda lame, obviously) and I'd appreciate it if you coul share your thoughts/experienses. Basically I'm looking for decent 2.1 speakers for my bedroom, they don't have to be too loud, just wanna have balanced sound thad doesn't neglect midrange and clear, tamed bass. Oh and a non-kitchy look XD.

Cheaper options:

Genius SW-HF 2.1 800 ~25eur

Logitec S-220 ~25eur

Altec VS2721 ~50eur

More expensive options:

Microlab FC360 ~105eur

Altec FX3021eam ~95eur

#2 Posted by Mareczek99 (336 posts) -

I use Logitech'sLS21 2.1 for general computing and a Sony Stereo Hi-FI set on the wall paired with a Toshiba 32" LCD for gaming.

The LS21 is a good choice, as they're cheap, the sound and build quality is fine and also they have this wired contoler thing for comfort. They also have a headphone jack which is also convenient. Suggest You try these.

#3 Posted by kraken2109 (13010 posts) -

Also we need more details, what's your budget, what will you be using them for etc

None of them are very good.

#4 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6637 posts) -
None of them are very good.kraken2109
#5 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (671 posts) -

OK well I thought I'd spend around 50 euros but couldn't find anything but some Eacan speakers that I had to return because of constant buzz. I could strech my budget to 100 euros max, but if what is offered is not worth it then I'd rather get the cheapest 2.1 set that doesn't sound like garbage. I'll be using the speakers for music listening mostly (not partying). For reference, I used to own Altec AVS 500 4.1 speakers, and I liked the bass, but I'd prefer a little "crispier" highs. That Logitec model seemes to be fairly popular, but I think I need a little more than 7W (round 20W at least).

Might consider this Microlab model as well, it's almost double cheaper than FC360, whadya think?

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13010 posts) -

Bookshelf speakers and an amp is what you need.

You could look second hand.

#7 Posted by Chris_53 (5110 posts) -
People on here will just suggest spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on expensive setups when it really isnt needed
#8 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6637 posts) -
People on here will just suggest spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on expensive setups when it really isnt neededChris_53
It amazes me how people on this forum think low end speakers are expensive :shock: How do you react when you actually see high end speakers? Its like say Volkswagen Polo or Ford Fiesta is an expensive car. If it only costs "hundreds" it isn't expensive silly, that's called cheap/entry level / budget. thousands = mid range. Expensive is when you exceed $10,000+ example of budget / entry level / low end / cheap setup: Dali Concept 1 ($300) + NAD amp ($400) = $700 example of mid range / decent / affordable setup: B&W CM8 ($1800) + Cambridge 851A ($1500) + Cambridge 851C DAC/CD player ($1500) = $4800 high end / expensive / top of the line setup: $5000 - $1 000 000 on speakers, $5000 - 100 000 on power amp, integrated amp, DAC, pre-amp etc...
#9 Posted by kraken2109 (13010 posts) -
People on here will just suggest spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on expensive setups when it really isnt neededChris_53
The fact is that a £50 pair of bookshelf speakers and a used amp will sound better than any logitech/creative/generic set of speakers. That's not an expensive setup.
#10 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6637 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chris_53"]People on here will just suggest spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on expensive setups when it really isnt neededkraken2109
The fact is that a £50 pair of bookshelf speakers and a used amp will sound better than any logitech/creative/generic set of speakers. That's not an expensive setup.

And that setup you are referring to is still like the Nissan Sunny or Toyota Corolla of audio...
#11 Posted by Mareczek99 (336 posts) -

Hi,

I'm waiting for a refund for some speakers that I had to return, and then I should choose a new model. Below is the list of my options (the offer is kinda lame, obviously) and I'd appreciate it if you coul share your thoughts/experienses. Basically I'm looking for decent 2.1 speakers for my bedroom, they don't have to be too loud, just wanna have balanced sound thad doesn't neglect midrange and clear, tamed bass. Oh and a non-kitchy look XD.

Cheaper options:

Genius SW-HF 2.1 800 ~25eur

Logitec S-220 ~25eur

Altec VS2721 ~50eur

More expensive options:

Microlab FC360 ~105eur

Altec FX3021eam ~95eur

PfizersaurusRex

You may look around for a cheap/used Hi-Fi set with a audio in/aux input and connect it via a Jack -> RCA cable. It'll be much much better than any low-medium quality PC speakers and probably at the same price.

#12 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (671 posts) -

Didn't think of buying a used hi-fi set, might be worth a look. Anyway thanks. And happy hollydays ;D.

#13 Posted by Chris_53 (5110 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chris_53"]People on here will just suggest spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on expensive setups when it really isnt neededMozelleple112
It amazes me how people on this forum think low end speakers are expensive :shock: How do you react when you actually see high end speakers? Its like say Volkswagen Polo or Ford Fiesta is an expensive car. If it only costs "hundreds" it isn't expensive silly, that's called cheap/entry level / budget. thousands = mid range. Expensive is when you exceed $10,000+ example of budget / entry level / low end / cheap setup: Dali Concept 1 ($300) + NAD amp ($400) = $700 example of mid range / decent / affordable setup: B&W CM8 ($1800) + Cambridge 851A ($1500) + Cambridge 851C DAC/CD player ($1500) = $4800 high end / expensive / top of the line setup: $5000 - $1 000 000 on speakers, $5000 - 100 000 on power amp, integrated amp, DAC, pre-amp etc...

Yes because im sure $4800 is affordable to everybody. But anyway its upto OP on what he decides. Personally im happy with my current setup, I couldnt give a fvck about £1000+ speakers in all honesty.