Need oldschool rpg suggestions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I need some game suggestions, nothing new right now at all that I want to play. Number one thing for me is gameplay, I prefer gameplay that at it's core fun and fluid with not too much reading or waiting around. I've played Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 1, Icewind Dale, Morrowind, Planescape Torment, Gothic 3, Diablo 1 and 2. Of those games I liked Morrowind the most, Gothic 3 had the most promise but failed hard when I tried to play it. I need some suggestions for fun games to play, I'm not the biggest fan of turn-based or lots of dialogue at once. Thanks

Alondrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Alondrix
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

@robokill: my list: Sacred, Sacred2, Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Dungeon Siege 1&2, Torchlight 1&2, Might and Magic, Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 1&2, Ultima series, and Arx Fatalis. Play them all and you are good for 1000+ hours!

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

All I can add to that is KOTOR and KOTOR 2

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I've played sacred 1 and 2, dungeon siege 1 and 2, torchlight 1, nwn 1. Of the ones I didn't say, which is the best?

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

The couple recent ones I just went through were Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, and Fallout 2

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@robokill said:

I've played sacred 1 and 2, dungeon siege 1 and 2, torchlight 1, nwn 1. Of the ones I didn't say, which is the best?

Divine Divinity has a good amount of depth, Arx Fatalis is good (an homage to the Ultima Underworld games), Neverwinter Nights 2 is not as good as the first (imo) but worth trying, Temple of Elemental Evil is decent but has turn-based combat. Torchlight 2 is better than the first game in just about every way - much larger world to explore, and improvements to everything. The Might & Magic series is good except for the last few, and a similar type of game would be Wizardry 6 and 7.

Personally I think Gothic 2 is better than Gothic 3 (except for graphics of course), so that may be worth a look if you haven't tried it. Two Worlds 2 is somewhat similar, but does have some decent depth to weapon/magic crafting/upgrading. Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga is also worth a look.

If you don't mind old RPGs, then you could try the Eye Of The Beholder series (which plays similar to Legend of Grimrock which was an homage to that kind of game), Lands Of Lore: Throne of Chaos (the last great Westwood RPG), Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 (the second is best), Fallout 1 and 2, Menzoberranzan, Ravenloft, etc.

Happy hunting. :)

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Might & Magic X: Legacy ... ok, it's new, but it's old school.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts

Get an emulator - hook up a controller and emulate yourself a copy of Megaman legends (one and two). It's RPG meets megaman. It's a bit pricey to buy the discs now, but that can still be had for a reasonable amount if you look hard enough on ebay.
<-- I am not biased.

Strictly PC gaming, Dreamfall was quite the gem (and still is) back in the day. With the new one coming out via crowd funding, now is the time to play it if you haven't.
Speaking of which - Wingcommander. Play it. It's even worth buying a joystick for.

Although not too terribly old, TitanQuest was one of those games that nobody played, but was completely awesome. This is best played with a friend.
Don't be fooled though - it's not just a diablo clone, it has some genuine great ideas.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Fallout 1 and 2. played 1 recently and it became my instant favorite.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Based on the OP...

Gothic 2

Might & Magic 3-8

Arx Fatalis

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2

Deus-Ex

Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back....and the remakes - http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/index.html

Lands of Lore

Captive

Black Crypt

Dark Arisen

Fallout New Vegas