Need a new GFX card and other upgrades. Recommendations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

So basically my PC is running very badly at the moment, especially since the RAM is faulty and I can only use 2GB instead of my 4GB. Anyway, I'm running a Nvidia GeForce 9800 with a Intel Duo Core, and I really, really need an upgrade. Games like Alan Wake are slow as hell, and The Sims 3 (quite literary) takes an indefinite amount of time to load. I've got plenty of HDD space, too.

So, without spending too much cash, what would you recommend I get? I've got both a 360 and PS3, and I'm at uni, so I don't have that much gaming time anyway, so I don't need the best of the best. But something good and smooth would be good. So, what do you folks recommend, eh?

- Cheers. :)

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

If you just want to upgrade GPU then get a 7750 and keep that CPU if you are playing older games. Also you will want to make sure and get that stick of ram replaced.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

You'll need to upgrade CPU, GPU and RAM unless you want to get a bottleneck, and MOBO probably too; Give me a budget and I'll build you one.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I'm guessing since you already running a 9800gt you have a decent power supply ?

If thats the case then get either a 7850 2gb or 650ti boost ( whichever you find cheaper and at the moment for a strange reason 7850 prices seem to have increased quite a lot so look for 650ti boost )

Then i suggest saving a bit more and get a new motherboard and CPU ( an Fx 6300 and an AM3 + mobo for less than $170 are great budget option and if you have the money an i5 and a z87 mobo are even greater )

Oh and get more Ram

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

You could get away with an FM2 CPU/APU (preferably a "K" model) with a descrete GPU, it's the cheapest "good enough" option for gaming. But FX-6300 is the sweet spot IMO. Or an i5 for more money, just like adamosmaki said. I wouldn't bother with a AMD 8 core - costs almost like i5 and requires at least a $30 cooler and a good mobo as well.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

You could get away with an FM2 CPU/APU (preferably a "K" model) with a descrete GPU, it's the cheapest "good enough" option for gaming. But FX-6300 is the sweet spot IMO. Or an i5 for more money, just like adamosmaki said. I wouldn't bother with a AMD 8 core - costs almost like i5 and requires at least a $30 cooler and a good mobo as well.

You can get an 8 core for quiet cheap if you find it on sale. At least that's what I did. He wouldn't really need an 8 core though. FX-6300 would be a good choice for him.

Although FX8320 is $140 on newegg right now.

Here's is the link!

*SALE ENDS TODAY!*

Also, I am selling my GTX 560 TI with an Arctic Cooler on it, I'll give you a good deal if you want it. I barely used the card for 4 months and with this cooler, you never have to worry about heat. Plus, I can throw you a code for Batman Arkham Origins if you buy the card (Steam Download).

Here's my EVGA GTX 560 TI for sale!

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShadowsDemon

@adamosmaki said:

I'm guessing since you already running a 9800gt you have a decent power supply ?

If thats the case then get either a 7850 2gb or 650ti boost ( whichever you find cheaper and at the moment for a strange reason 7850 prices seem to have increased quite a lot so look for 650ti boost )

Then i suggest saving a bit more and get a new motherboard and CPU ( an Fx 6300 and an AM3 + mobo for less than $170 are great budget option and if you have the money an i5 and a z87 mobo are even greater )

Oh and get more Ram

Sorry for the late response - been away for a while. Hope it's okay for me to bump the thread...

Anyway, as I said, I'm not really in the market for another motherboard. I'm focused on the RAM and GFX card at the moment (RAM is without question a requirement). I had a friend recommend the AMD R7 or even the R9, but I'm uncertain.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShadowsDemon

@PredatorRules: About $150 or so?

@insane_metalist said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

You can get an 8 core for quiet cheap if you find it on sale. At least that's what I did. He wouldn't really need an 8 core though. FX-6300 would be a good choice for him.

Although FX8320 is $140 on newegg right now.

Here's is the link!

*SALE ENDS TODAY!*

Also, I am selling my GTX 560 TI with an Arctic Cooler on it, I'll give you a good deal if you want it. I barely used the card for 4 months and with this cooler, you never have to worry about heat. Plus, I can throw you a code for Batman Arkham Origins if you buy the card (Steam Download).

Here's my EVGA GTX 560 TI for sale!

Hmm...I may be interested. How much are you selling it for?

BTW, I live in Australia, so shipping won't be cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

It's probably time for a new build, man. Core 2 duos are pretty old. I guess you could TRY and eke out a little bit more by getting a new graphics card but you should seriously consider a new build.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules: About $150 or so?

I say stick with your PS3 and X360, for 150$ you barely get one part and as I said before you'll need to upgrade everything, maybe except PSU and case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127705 GPU 25$

I don't know which core 2 duo you're using but I recommend this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030H0MSA/?tag=pcpapi-20 37$

RAM I could recommend you to install Windows XP as you have really small available RAM, or get this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006XB56VI/?tag=pcpapi-20 60$

Also I'd like to know what's your MOBO? and specify more details on the CPU, and PSU?

I'd really like to know all these things so I could build you a better budget rig.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 adamosmaki

@ShadowsDemon said:

@adamosmaki said:

Oh and get more Ram

Sorry for the late response - been away for a while. Hope it's okay for me to bump the thread...

Anyway, as I said, I'm not really in the market for another motherboard. I'm focused on the RAM and GFX card at the moment (RAM is without question a requirement). I had a friend recommend the AMD R7 or even the R9, but I'm uncertain.

Your Cpu will bottleneck anything better than a 7770 so unless you plan upgrading your CPU in the near future i wouldnt suggest anything better than 7770 or maybe 7790 ( though even that will be bottlenecked by your CPU ).
Also your motherboard only supports DDR2 ram and any ram you get now will be useless if you decide to upgrade CPU/motherboard

In any case search for a 7790 if you are gonna stay with this system or if you plan upgrading soon an R270 or R270x will be great options to use later with a new cpu/mobo

Another cheap solution is to search for an older Amd 6870 or even a gtx 560/560ti on the cheap if you can find one

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShadowsDemon

@adamosmaki: @PredatorRules: I'd tell you except I'm away and I don't have my specs with me right now.

I guess then getting a new CPU is required. I'm in Germany, and all the equipment is a hell lot cheaper over here. 4 GB of RAM is a must (maybe even 8GB). I'll probably get a new CPU and of course a new GFX. Maybe I'll pick up an R270x and a new CPU.

Is it required to get a new motherboard? I built the thing back in 2008, but even then it was pretty good. ASUS, though not sure of model.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 adamosmaki

@ShadowsDemon said:

@adamosmaki: @PredatorRules: I'd tell you except I'm away and I don't have my specs with me right now.

I guess then getting a new CPU is required. I'm in Germany, and all the equipment is a hell lot cheaper over here. 4 GB of RAM is a must (maybe even 8GB). I'll probably get a new CPU and of course a new GFX. Maybe I'll pick up an R270x and a new CPU.

Is it required to get a new motherboard? I built the thing back in 2008, but even then it was pretty good. ASUS, though not sure of model.

For a new cpu you need a new motherboard as well and also Ram (your system uses DDR2 which is obsolete nowdays ) . Thankfully something like an AM3+ motherboard and an FX6350 can cost you no more than 160-170 euros ( both ). Imo if you dont have the money right away just buy the GPU you want and later upgrade mobo/Ram/Cpu

What you can reuse from your old pc is Hard disk, power supply ( if its a good brand and not some no name low quality one ), dvd drive and Case

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@ShadowsDemon said:

8Gb is a must for nowday gaming, I recommend for CPUs either FX6300 or i5/i3, and yes MOBO is a must as well for CPU and probably RAM faster speeds.

All these are if you're into nowdays gaming; In your post you've wanted to play Alan Wake which isn't that demanding but Sims 3 is really demanding.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShadowsDemon

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

8Gb is a must for nowday gaming, I recommend for CPUs either FX6300 or i5/i3, and yes MOBO is a must as well for CPU and probably RAM faster speeds.

All these are if you're into nowdays gaming; In your post you've wanted to play Alan Wake which isn't that demanding but Sims 3 is really demanding.

Yeah, my sister wants to get Sims 4 next year...and I'm really unsure of what it can support.

I'll probably pass on a new CPU and get a good GFX, and perhaps 4 or 8 GB of RAM. My motherboard has four RAM slots, so there's no big issue there. I spoke with a guy in the store and he said that upgrading the CPU would be pretty bloody expensive...but he also said it wasn't required. Of course, they've been known to mislead before on more than one occasion.

All I know is that RAM and a new GFX are a must. Now it's a matter of which to buy.

Any thoughts on the GTX 560 TI or even this?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/graphics-cards/1302940/amd-radeon-r7-260x

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeryGo  Moderator

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Yeah, my sister wants to get Sims 4 next year...and I'm really unsure of what it can support.

I'll probably pass on a new CPU and get a good GFX, and perhaps 4 or 8 GB of RAM. My motherboard has four RAM slots, so there's no big issue there. I spoke with a guy in the store and he said that upgrading the CPU would be pretty bloody expensive...but he also said it wasn't required. Of course, they've been known to mislead before on more than one occasion.

All I know is that RAM and a new GFX are a must. Now it's a matter of which to buy.

Again, it's a waste of money to pick brand new GPU and more RAM with really old CPU - you see, there's a minimum requirement for CPU to be to make the game run properly.

I recommend this http://www.amazon.de/MSI-Radeon-Grafikkarte-Speicher-mini-DisplayPort/dp/B00ACHDL5M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388869885&sr=8-2&keywords=7850

If you could give me any info and the budget you're willing to invest I'll build you a decent combo of RAM, GPU, CPU and MOBO if needed

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShadowsDemon

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Again, it's a waste of money to pick brand new GPU and more RAM with really old CPU - you see, there's a minimum requirement for CPU to be to make the game run properly.

I recommend this http://www.amazon.de/MSI-Radeon-Grafikkarte-Speicher-mini-DisplayPort/dp/B00ACHDL5M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388869885&sr=8-2&keywords=7850

If you could give me any info and the budget you're willing to invest I'll build you a decent combo of RAM, GPU, CPU and MOBO if needed

Thanks - that's really nice of ya.

I'll probably bump it up to $200...but more emphasis on GFX than CPU. I don't need a massive rig.

Also, that GFX you linked me with - could I run that at max capacity with my Duo Core now?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeryGo  Moderator

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

I'll probably bump it up to $200...but more emphasis on GFX than CPU. I don't need a massive rig.

Also, that GFX you linked me with - could I run that at max capacity with my Duo Core now?

Probably not unless your CPU is running close to 4Ghz.

Also you said you've got 4Gb of RAM, if you could find the same RAM, I mean exactly the same module you could save some money.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Also you said you've got 4Gb of RAM, if you could find the same RAM, I mean exactly the same module you could save some money.

I think it's running at 3.6GHZ (not overclocked). I can't be sure, though. I'm going to see if I can find the same module, but it won't make a difference really, since 2 of my 4GB is corrupt and can't be used. I'll have to get 6GB to add to my 2.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeryGo  Moderator

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

I think it's running at 3.6GHZ (not overclocked). I can't be sure, though. I'm going to see if I can find the same module, but it won't make a difference really, since 2 of my 4GB is corrupt and can't be used. I'll have to get 6GB to add to my 2.

Add 6Gb of same module - this is very importent or just get 2 dims of 4Gb.

CPU is kinda fine, not quite true because it's dual core and you're 3-4 series behind. Even Q series are pretty damn old nowdays.

Since you've got both PS3 and Xbox 360 I'd say get the new Sims there.

If you've got about 400-500$ I could set you a good combo of new hardware.

I'm sorry to say but you can make it a media center out of your old rig, even nowdays people that buy media centers are stronger than your rig.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShadowsDemon

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Add 6Gb of same module - this is very importent or just get 2 dims of 4Gb.

CPU is kinda fine, not quite true because it's dual core and you're 3-4 series behind. Even Q series are pretty damn old nowdays.

Since you've got both PS3 and Xbox 360 I'd say get the new Sims there.

If you've got about 400-500$ I could set you a good combo of new hardware.

I'm sorry to say but you can make it a media center out of your old rig, even nowdays people that buy media centers are stronger than your rig.

Yeah, I don't doubt it. I built it when I was a kid, and even then it wasn't the best around. I'll go for the RAM and a good graphics card. I do have the cash, but like you said, I have both consoles. Not really worth it.