My PC is STILL awesome?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FreewayKingpin (5 posts) -

I have a 660ti video card in my rig and im still running new games - Thief, at full specs.. what is the incentive to upgrade?

#2 Edited by PfizersaurusRex (690 posts) -

Just enjoy the fun then. I have a 660 non-Ti and I can run new games on almost full settings - almost meaning I can't notice the difference from max exept for fps.

#3 Posted by 04dcarraher (19686 posts) -

Until you cant run the games you want at high settings then it might be time to upgrade.

#4 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (826 posts) -

If you need an incentive you probably don't need to upgrade. You upgrade when there's a reason to, like if there's a drastic change in the way computer graphics are processed, for example with ray tracing, you might need more power than ever before to run the newest games. That hasn't happened yet, but it could happen in the future. You'll know when it's time to upgrade.

#5 Posted by PredatorRules (8199 posts) -

@FreewayKingpin said:

I have a 660ti video card in my rig and im still running new games - Thief, at full specs.. what is the incentive to upgrade?

When you GPU dies, or at least when you can't run game on max graphics/high.

Actually depends on your standarts, if you have SLI option in your MOBO you can try to find another one and combo those.

To actually feel difference in performance you'll want to go with 770 or higher.

#6 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

who said you should upgrade with a 660ti? Technically you are good for this entire generation. Only upgrade if bothers you that you can't max out games in 2015 or beyond.

#7 Edited by Endgame_basic (930 posts) -

You are not running Thief with SSAA at high on a 660Ti so stop lying, unless you think playing at an average of 30fps is acceptable.

#8 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

@FreewayKingpin said:

None. That's a great card. Even when that can't run max anymore, what that can run at 60 fps will always look good.

#9 Posted by Horgen (110153 posts) -

To answer your title TC. No, in my opinion it is not awesome. You're running a upper mid-range from previous generation GPU and I assumed it is air cooled. I'm also guessing your running a i5 processor... And a farily generic, not modded case.

It's good that the card still play games good enough for you though. That's awesome for you.

#10 Edited by FreewayKingpin (5 posts) -
@Endgame_basic said:

You are not running Thief with SSAA at high on a 660Ti so stop lying, unless you think playing at an average of 30fps is acceptable.

I have every setting set at max and yes, I AM running it without any perceivable frame-rate issues the game looks and runs smooth as hell to me - i7 3.4ghz processor with 16gb of ram.

To all, thanks for your comments.. I'm thinking The Witcher 3 is going to be the test and ill probably step up to the 770.

#11 Edited by Endgame_basic (930 posts) -

@FreewayKingpin said:
@Endgame_basic said:

I have every setting set at max and yes, I AM running it without any perceivable frame-rate issues the game looks and runs smooth as hell to me - i7 3.4ghz processor with 16gb of ram.

To all, thanks for your comments.. I'm thinking The Witcher 3 is going to be the test and ill probably step up to the 770.

That's pretty amazing as I have a better pc than yours and average in the 40s all maxed out. Also, this thorough benchmark also states you'll average in the 30s.....

http://www.techspot.com/review/787-thief-benchmarks/page2.html

I do find it comical when people lie about how a games is running when how it runs is completely set in stone given the hardware.

#12 Posted by PredatorRules (8199 posts) -

@Endgame_basic said:

@FreewayKingpin said:
@Endgame_basic said:

That's pretty amazing as I have a better pc than yours and average in the 40s all maxed out. Also, this thorough benchmark also states you'll average in the 30s.....

I do find it comical when people lie about how a games is running when how it runs is completely set in stone given the hardware.

Running Thief maxed on 1080p with AA and all turned on and max, average fps is 60, did the benchmark in game max I've reached is 70.

Although in game some areas run on 20-30, bad optimization? might be.

#13 Edited by Endgame_basic (930 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@Endgame_basic said:

@FreewayKingpin said:
@Endgame_basic said:

Running Thief maxed on 1080p with AA and all turned on and max, average fps is 60, did the benchmark in game max I've reached is 70.

You're can't say your vid card maxes out the game if you drop into the 20s...

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (8199 posts) -

@Endgame_basic said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Endgame_basic said:

@FreewayKingpin said:
@Endgame_basic said:

You're can't say your vid card maxes out the game if you drop into the 20s...

But I do run most of the time on 60 fps, I call it bad optimization in some parts of the game.

A 780ti and 290X can run max graphics games on 4K display on 30fps average, this means it may drop to even 10fps.

#15 Posted by insane_metalist (6241 posts) -

If you have SLI mobo then get another 660TI and you should be able to max most games.

#16 Posted by Horgen (110153 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@Endgame_basic said:

@FreewayKingpin said:
@Endgame_basic said:

But you run a 280X, not a 660Ti... TC claims to run it at max without any perceivable frame-rate issues.

I guess the important here is without any perceivable frame-rate issues, because I hardly believe the 660 Ti should run it that well, it just above the recommended card.

#17 Edited by insane_metalist (6241 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Endgame_basic said:

@FreewayKingpin said:
@Endgame_basic said:

But you run a 280X, not a 660Ti... TC claims to run it at max without any perceivable frame-rate issues.

I guess the important here is without any perceivable frame-rate issues, because I hardly believe the 660 Ti should run it that well, it just above the recommended card.

It's not possible for a 660TI to run it maxed if 280X runs it 70 fps tops lol..

#18 Edited by Horgen (110153 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

It's not possible for a 660TI to run it maxed if 280X runs it 70 fps tops lol..

I would agree with you, unless you are OK with 30 fps. Which TC might be.

#19 Posted by FreewayKingpin (5 posts) -

The only thing I can figure is that my monitor native's at 1360x768 and I know lower resolutions make it easier for many games to run. But I am not lying.

#20 Edited by Horgen (110153 posts) -

@FreewayKingpin said:

The only thing I can figure is that my monitor native's at 1360x768 and I know lower resolutions make it easier for many games to run. But I am not lying.

The link provided earlier gives us no benchmark for that low res, however it says it is surprisingly heavy for 1050*1680. You're gaming on a laptop monitor or less than 15inch monitor?

#21 Posted by Cyberdot (3538 posts) -

Yes, it's still an excellent PC.

If you're happy with the game performance and how it looks, it's good to stick with. I'm not an always-maxed out type of guy - if I'm satisfied with how the game looks at medium settings, I'm happy.

#22 Edited by evildead6789 (7905 posts) -

@FreewayKingpin said:

Since you also have an i7 @ 3.4 ghz I can't really see a reason why, I have a 7870 xt with an i5 2500 which is kinda the same setup (only your i7 may be better but you didn't mention which i7).

Cranking up the aa really doesn't do anything for these games anymore, the heaviest games i play on 1000p and 4 x aa. (and then i'm talking about modded crysis 1, or rather unlocked crysis 1, all i did was crank up the settings in the ini files)

Did you know you can also overclock your card?

And the resolution on your monitor (1360 x 768) is peanuts for that system you have , for any game. Maybe if you would play on a 40 inch 1080p tv, or a 1080p monitor, upgrading could be an option with upcoming games. But as for now, you're still maxing it out baby!

#23 Posted by Endgame_basic (930 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@FreewayKingpin said:

Since you also have an i7 @ 3.4 ghz I can't really see a reason why, I have a 7870 xt with an i5 2500 which is kinda the same setup (only your i7 may be better but you didn't mention which i7).

Cranking up the aa really doesn't do anything for these games anymore, the heaviest games i play on 1000p and 4 x aa. (and then i'm talking about modded crysis 1, or rather unlocked crysis 1, all i did was crank up the settings in the ini files)

And the resolution on your monitor (1360 x 768) is peanuts for that system you have , for any game. Maybe if you would play on a 40 inch 1080p tv, or a 1080p monitor, upgrading could be an option with upcoming games. But as for now, you're still maxing it out baby!

The AA in Thief is SSAA, which is super sampling and has a HUGE effect on framerate. I average in the 40s with it on high and never drop below 60fps with it off.

#24 Edited by dethtrain (421 posts) -

I honestly couldn't tell the difference with SSAA on or off. I'll have to run the benchmark again. I had it capped at 60 last time and I hit 60 on the benchmark with an i7 980x and a GTX 690

#25 Edited by evildead6789 (7905 posts) -

@Endgame_basic said:

@evildead6789 said:

@FreewayKingpin said:

The AA in Thief is SSAA, which is super sampling and has a HUGE effect on framerate. I average in the 40s with it on high and never drop below 60fps with it off.

If he has a 660ti and an i7 that will work just fine at the resolution he has,

When i say it doesn't do nothing, i meant about the game the way looks. I can see the difference, but to call it a difference in quality that remains to be seen. With supersampling on it find games looking something more cartoonish than realistic, aa is needed to rough out the edges but combined with high resolution it's already enough. Since his resolution is not that high supersampling can be an option. But at that resolution the 660ti can easily manage that.

#26 Posted by KILLERJAK702KA (976 posts) -

You should be able to comfortably game for this new generation be it high/ultra settings, I gamed with my ATI 4890 on med/high settings with far cry 3 that card lasted me 4-5 years until I recently upgraded to my new GTX 760 to last me a good 5 years on high /ultra settings for this coming generation people exaggerate that you need better cards to game it really comes down to how much ram you got and processor , you should be ok going forward for this generation at comfortable next gen settings... people that tell you otherwise are the types that play on 4k settings....

#27 Posted by BattleSpectre (6252 posts) -

I'm still running a GTX 460 bro's.

#28 Posted by evildead6789 (7905 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

I'm still running a GTX 460 bro's.

Which is still pretty good but with the new games coming out, high settings will be out of your reach

#29 Posted by FreewayKingpin (5 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

@FreewayKingpin said:

The link provided earlier gives us no benchmark for that low res, however it says it is surprisingly heavy for 1050*1680. You're gaming on a laptop monitor or less than 15inch monitor?

32 inch plasma tv