My First Building: Extra tips or notes or "bewares"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Monki0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Monki0
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts
Im building my first computer soon. I've read all the online manuals and im ready. Does anybody has any extra tips or notes or "bewares." I don't want to mess up rig
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
My main tip is to make sure everything is compatible...some mobos are picky w/RAM. Also, make sure there isn't any new hardware that's coming out in the immediate future that you'll regret not gettin ;) Basic stuff, but every bit helps I spose.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 frost_mourne13
Member since 2006 • 1615 Posts
Um, I know this sounds retarded or w/e: but do not get angry and give up, worse throw all your stuff around. This takes patience, and most of the time, problem solving skills. Just...don't get angry and methodically go through steps to find your problem. Also, make sure you are grounded! Very importante! Finally, if it doesn't slip it, don't push it in; so be firm, but not brutal, eh? Good luck and have fun. Building a computer is quite rewarding...
Monki0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Monki0
Any more tips
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Deamon321
Member since 2005 • 1568 Posts
Any more tipsMonki0
umm make sure the ram is compatible cuz ull go through hell if it aint and make sure you dont ever ever get angry cuz it dont wrk at fist. 90% of teh time u have to change something so it works properly.
littlehelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 littlehelp
Member since 2004 • 1264 Posts
You might want to consider picking up one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16899888207
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
In no particular order, 1. Update to the latest motherboard BIOS before you install the OS 2. Get a decent quality PSU (none of this £15/$30 crap people have been asking about recently) 3. Check for RAM issues with your motherboard by Googling 4. Install stand-offs in your case for your motherboard to screw into 5. Buy a case with front and rear fans fitted or install your own (essential)
adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts
make sure you do some research on the components you are getting you don't want to buy a expensive processor and find out its it old and there are better ones out 
Axed54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Axed54
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts
Magnetic tip tools i.e. philips screwdriver can make life alot easier.
Monki0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Monki0
Another question.. Whats the order of the software steps after you have finished with the hardware building part?
Glordit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Glordit
Member since 2005 • 1525 Posts
[QUOTE="Monki0"]Another question.. Whats the order of the software steps after you have finished with the hardware building part?

Windows, Drivers, Antivirus/anti-spyware, then only are you allowed to use the Internet and update then install your games :P otherwise youll be reformating the first day you got it :(
Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
[QUOTE="Glordit"][QUOTE="Monki0"]Another question.. Whats the order of the software steps after you have finished with the hardware building part?

Windows, Drivers, Antivirus/anti-spyware, then only are you allowed to use the Internet and update then install your games :P otherwise youll be reformating the first day you got it :(

Also activating Windows :)
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
[QUOTE="Monki0"]Another question.. Whats the order of the software steps after you have finished with the hardware building part?

"Also the correct procedure for installing drivers is the following according to Intel, with the exception of my note on step 3. 1) First install Windows 2) Install Windows Updates and patches 3) Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers (also I install the Application Accelerator at this point) 4) Install other device drivers; graphics card, sound card, etc. 5) Install DirectX."