My dying light review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Since there aren't really any reviews out yet, maybe you want to read mine

http://www.gamespot.com/dying-light/user-reviews/2200-12632194/

Any comments are always welcome

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17763 Posts

@commander: Why did you write a review if you have only played the game for a short time? Game impressions are not a review.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By commander

@BassMan said:

@commander: Why did you write a review if you have only played the game for a short time? Game impressions are not a review.

You call it what you want apparently people find it helpfull.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BassMan

You should put a disclaimer to let people know that these are your first impressions. How can you write a review without experiencing the whole story, plot, pacing, difficulty changes, new gameplay mechanics, technical performance, etc. throughout the game?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commander

@BassMan said:

You should put a disclaimer to let people know that these are your first impressions. How can you write a review without experiencing the whole story, plot, pacing, difficulty changes, new gameplay mechanics, technical performance, etc. throughout the game?

Well i clearly mentioned in the review I only played it for a short time. This is not like reading a book or watching a movie. Besides the word review doesn't necessarily imply that I can't judge a game when I didn't finish it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BassMan

@commander: How would you feel if GameSpot published a Dying Light review right now without playing through the whole game? Then you go and play the game all the way through and find out that the game sucks after the first few hours, how would that make you feel? You give it a 9 which basically means the game is amazing. That is pretty bold.

Here is an example of what I am talking about... Alien: Isolation. Great game for the first few hours and then sucks after that. Gamespot gave it an appropriate 6/10 for that reason. Had they only played the first few hours, it may have got an 8 or 9, which would have been misleading.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By commander

@BassMan said:

@commander: How would you feel if GameSpot published a Dying Light review right now without playing through the whole game? Then you go and play the game all the way through and find out that the game sucks after the first few hours, how would that make you feel? You give it a 9 which basically means the game is amazing. That is pretty bold.

Here is an example of what I am talking about... Alien: Isolation. Great game for the first few hours and then sucks after that. Gamespot gave it an appropriate 6/10 for that reason. Had they only played the first few hours, it may have got an 8 or 9, which would have been misleading.

Maybe so, but these devs have proven themselves with this formula. I'm also a bit of a fan, If you look at my dead island review , then you'll know what I mean. Gamespot gave dead island only a 7 while I give it a 10 (and I finished dead island before that review).. I don't give tens that easily but I played the pc version, I doubt the gamespot reviewer did that because the pc version looks a lot better. I have reviews up that score lower than gamespot as well. I'm also not really a zombie fan, but I do enjoy a good game or a good movie for that matter. I can dig them though zombies, but I won't watch zombie movies or play zombie games just because they have zombies in it.

I can understand that gamespot doesn't publish a review after such a short while, but that is their choice. I specifically mention I only played for a short while (but still several hours). Besides, I'm not getting paid for this, I'm just doing this to do people a favor, a lot of people were complaining there wasn't a review short after launch so I wrote one myself.

There is also the matter of taste, I know a lot of people that don't always find gamespot reviews correct, a lot of reviews are of course spot on or very close but there are some people that will find bad games good and vice versa. I didn't play alien isolation, so I can't comment on that. I did play dead island riptide and whle I didn't give a review a 4/10 was really wrong, especially for the pc version. Same with the 7/10 for dead island.

It seems that in a lot of cases, the bigger the production values, the bigger chance for a high score. For the console version I can understand the dead island scores, but riptide was still too low and so was dead island. Especially riptide suffered from the low end hardware in the consoles, but that ain't the devs fault because the pc versions ran fluent and sharp. I don't know if this influenced the reviewer scores, but there isn't a specific pc review for dead island and riptide while there's clearly difference in quality.

Here that won't be such a big of deal, i hope, since the next gen consoles are pretty new and dying light is an improvement on an existing formula of a last gen game. Besides it's not the graphics that matters but the gameplay (wink)

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

So Dead Island with parkour?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commander

@slateman_basic said:

So Dead Island with parkour?

Dead island for grownups with parkour (not that dead island is suitable for children (or teens) lol)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@commander said:

All I want to know is if the port is good?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By commander

@FelipeInside said:

@commander said:

All I want to know is if the port is good?

It will run fluent on your system, you won't be able to max out the view slider but even at 50 percent you can look further than anything i've ever seen.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BassMan

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875954/dying-light-review-impressions-fresh-zombies-coming-in-hot.html

He says there are stuttering and performances issues.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By commander

@BassMan said:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875954/dying-light-review-impressions-fresh-zombies-coming-in-hot.html

He says there are stuttering and performances issues.

he also has the gtx 970, might be the problem with that memory or configuration or driver. Or it might be a cpu hog the game. I don't have any problems but I also play at locked 30. I don't expect anything more because i don't have an uber system.

I think the game would run nice on an i7- 5820k which is not like such an expensive cpu. People still expect to max out games with 4 year old 200$ cpu's and get 60 fps constant, yet they want next gen games.

I haven heard anything about someone with a fast i7 quad as well. There might be a big difference there because of the hyperthreading

Edit: i take that back someone with an i7-3930k couldn't get steady 60 fps, but he used a max view slider. Anyway, I didn't review the gaae for max setting or 60 fps. I'm sure with enough grunt you'll be able to do it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BassMan

From what I am hearing on NeoGAF, the performance is not very good and broken SLI. I am staying away from this one until it is confirmed a system like mine can run this 1440p 60+ fps steady.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By commander

@BassMan said:

From what I am hearing on NeoGAF, the performance is not very good and no SLI support. I am staying away from this one until it is confirmed a system like mine can run this 1440p 60+ fps steady.

Multiple cards setup are always a risk when you want to play a game at launch. STill i understand , there isn't anything better out there as a single chip besides the gtx 980 or 780 ti

I doubt it will take long before nvidia releases a driver though and I think your i7 would probably get you 60 fps steady. Don't know about 1440p though, but it should have to work, i mean, resolution is gpu only and I doubt that I7 will bottleneck.

That i7 is sigfinantly faster per core than that dude with the I73930

Don't touch the view slider though, and disable sli

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@BassMan said:

This is true. Reviews should only be made with a considerable amount of time logged in the game.

Otherwise this "review" you made just reads like this..."I only put a little time into the game...I'm a fanboy...9/10". I won't even bother reading it because of the bias, no offense.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By commander

@KHAndAnime said:

@BassMan said:

This is true. Reviews should only be made with a considerable amount of time logged in the game.

Otherwise this "review" you made just reads like this..."I only put a little time into the game...I'm a fanboy...9/10". I won't even bother reading it because of the bias, no offense.

There's always some bias when someone is reviewing a game. I am a fan of dead island but i would never have given riptide a 9, or an 8 even for that matter.

I played 6 hours, that may not been enough to give a complete review, but some people find it helpfull since there are hardly any reviews out there. For someone that considers to buy this game today, my review can be helpfull because it's a whole lot better than nothing.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Come on, the dude is not a professional reviewer trying to get you to pay for ad space on his site, it is freaking Gamespot. Lighten the hell up.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@vfibsux said:

Come on, the dude is not a professional reviewer trying to get you to pay for ad space on his site, it is freaking Gamespot. Lighten the hell up.

This.

Nothing wrong with a first impressions review of a game after 5-6 hours of play.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@vfibsux said:

Pretty much.

And I tend to make up my mind about a game pretty early on, I don't finish a lot of games. So playing through a whole game is usually irrelevant to me.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@commander said:

Another question please:

Is this game a STEAMWORKS game?

As in it requires Steam no matter how you buy it?

I want to get it retail, but want it to be Steam activated.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

This.

Nothing wrong with a first impressions review of a game after 5-6 hours of play.

Nothing wrong with it per se, it's just silly and pointless. Could always just make a post about your first impressions and make the review when, you know, it's time to make the review.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

@FelipeInside said:

This.

Nothing wrong with it per se, it's just silly and pointless. Could always just make a post about your first impressions and make the review when, you know, it's time to make the review.

Why silly and pointless?

I don't need to finish a game to see if it's my kind of game or not.

Reviews can come in different forms: Full Review, Launch Review, First Impressions Review, Re-Review.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@commander: It's fine to make a thread to discuss the game, but typically we don't do threads just to advertise our user reviews. It falls under the category of spam as far as the code of conduct, so I'm going to lock the thread. If there's something specific about the game you'd like to discuss, feel free to make another thread.

-Byshop