My brand new AMD Athlon X2 4800+ not working?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by stupiddk (2377 posts) -
Is my AMD Athlon X2 4800+ working? I am trying to play medieval 2: Total War and I know that this game requires alot of good hardware, but is my new cpu to blame for lagging play? i have a ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB graphics card with 2gb of kingston ram. I used to have an AMD athlon 4000+ and I had a problem there so i switched over to dual core, but I am getting worse lag now than I did with the single core cpu. I have made sure there are no programs, but Medieval 2 Total War and I still recieve tons of lag. I have the game on Medium High settings. An example would be the suggested amount of character on screen at 4200!!! Thats it! Someone help me understand if I am doing something wrong here.
#2 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Hmm, what motherboard do you have? It looks like the second core and different optimisations aren't used.
#3 Posted by stupiddk (2377 posts) -
Hmm, what motherboard do you have? It looks like the second core and different optimisations aren't used.DirkVDV01

I have an Asus MVP Deluxe 3200.
#4 Posted by itsme185 (785 posts) -
I dont suppose you have so much spyware on you comp, my friend has a p4 3.0ghzz 512mb ram and a 128mb 9250, and tha computer wont start up andy game what so ever because of amount of spyware, i would suggest setting up a new partition and installing windows your drivers and the game and if it still lags then its definetlly hardware orientated.
#5 Posted by Rusteater (4016 posts) -
Did you install the AMD dual-core optimizer?
#6 Posted by stupiddk (2377 posts) -
Did you install the AMD dual-core optimizer?Rusteater

yeah I did, but I wonder if that is not causing the problem?
#7 Posted by stupiddk (2377 posts) -
I really can't figure this out.
#8 Posted by stupiddk (2377 posts) -
bump
#9 Posted by ferret837 (1941 posts) -
i have a 3200+ and i run that game on high with a max of 3000 ppl but then again my gpu is the 8800gtx but that could be why..i would go with the spyware theroy but probably not the Cpu unless you didnt install it right
#10 Posted by itsme185 (785 posts) -
I dont suppose you have so much spyware on you comp, my friend has a p4 3.0ghzz 512mb ram and a 128mb 9250, and tha computer wont start up andy game what so ever because of amount of spyware, i would suggest setting up a new partition and installing windows your drivers and the game and if it still lags then its definetlly hardware orientated.itsme185
mate try my theory it wont fail you, if it wont work with a fresh install drivers and the game it means its spyware orientated, use partition magic 8.0 to make the partition, this tool will take free space from a a partition on your hdd and make a new partition, rename in to windows 2nd partition then install windows on it, should be simple.. I would also recommended defragmenting the hdd that could be a possibility although i highly doubt it.. sorry for the late reply my internet connection has been down...