This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DIV1D3 (122 posts) -

Hi, I am going to start to buy all of the components that I will use for my new gaming PC build. I have decided on a R9 290 from MSI and I would like to get the BF4 edition though I am unable to find any place that sells it (seriously). All i can find is the R9 290X BF4 which is quite annoying. I just was wondering why I can't find a R9 290 with BF4. I would greatly appreciate it if you were to point me to a place that sells it. I would also like your opinion on the R9 290 and what you think of the release date which was so close to the R9 290X. Cheers!

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (7243 posts) -

Well they're promiting their crappy GPU what did you expect.

#3 Posted by Horgen (110016 posts) -

Crappy? 290 with third party cooling gotta be one of the best bang for buck in the upper segment for GPU.

#4 Edited by PredatorRules (7243 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

Crappy? 290 with third party cooling gotta be one of the best bang for buck in the upper segment for GPU.

I was talking about the 290X and the reason why 290 don't have BF4 edition.

#5 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

@PredatorRules

The 290x is not crappy either?

They are promoting the one that has a bigger profit margin, called economics. The 290 and 290x are running on the exact same chip just cutting out some of the cores (or locking them via BIOS which if that is your case you got lucky as hell).

R9 290 just happens to be amazing for how much it costs.

To the TC:

Why don't you get the Sapphire R9 290 BF4 edition? Or you can get the Sapphire r9 290 for only 395$ with BF4 for free (what I ordered).

#6 Edited by DIV1D3 (122 posts) -
#7 Edited by airshocker (28814 posts) -

Don't buy the 290 unless it has an aftermarket cooler. Thing runs way too hot with the stock fan.

#8 Edited by DIV1D3 (122 posts) -

@airshocker said:

Don't buy the 290 unless it has an aftermarket cooler. Thing runs way too hot with the stock fan.

What about the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III, I should think that it would suffice? Though I don't think I would like to void the warranty. But that is off topic, I would like to know if there is any retailer that sells a BF4 edition of the R9 290.

#9 Posted by mastershake575 (8350 posts) -

Yeah I agree with this. Third party 290s should only be $420-430 and offer way way better cooling (models such as the direct 2, twin frozr, dual x, vapor x.....ect should easily allow overclocks of 1050-1100mhz).

You could buy an artic extreme cooler but its going to be more expensive (its like $75-85) and if im not mistaken, it voids your warranty from most manufacturers which is a big deal to most buyers.

#10 Edited by airshocker (28814 posts) -

@DIV1D3 said:

@airshocker said:

What about the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III, I should think that it would suffice? Though I don't think I would like to void the warranty. But that is off topic, I would like to know if there is any retailer that sells a BF4 edition of the R9 290.

I haven't seen any cards bundled with BF4, no. It should but I've always been iffy about replacing the stock coolers. Didn't have a good experience with a Powercolor ATI card in the past.

#11 Edited by DIV1D3 (122 posts) -

@mastershake575 said:

@airshocker said:

Yeah I agree with this. Third party 290s should only be $420-430 and offer way way better cooling (models such as the direct 2, twin frozr, dual x, vapor x.....ect should easily allow overclocks of 1050-1100mhz).

You could buy an artic extreme cooler but its going to be more expensive (its like $75-85) and if im not mistaken, it voids your warranty from most manufacturers which is a big deal to most buyers.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. By third party 290s do you mean companies that resell it such as MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, Sapphire etc, and which one would you choose? I'm not very experienced in these third party, aftermarket areas.

Also I've ran into another conundrum, I was thinking about getting 16GBs of RAM but now I see the sense in getting just 8GBs at the moment. I was just wondering if you think it would be better to get just one 8GB stick or 2x 4GB. I know about having 2x 4GB dual channel RAM is faster than just one 8GB though i would like to have some feedback from others.

#12 Edited by bigfootpart2 (91 posts) -

Go for the two 4GB sticks and run in dual channel.

Definitely wait for aftermarket cooling from AMD's partners on the 290. The card has a lot of potential, but is held back by the crappy reference cooler AMD used. It's also loud. Really loud. Like leafblower loud. Seriously.

But I think the noise and heat issues will vanish once we see aftermarket cards with huge heatsinks and two or three fans.

#13 Edited by PredatorRules (7243 posts) -

@DIV1D3 all of the brands you've mentioned are good.

To be honest if I choose GPU i'd get the best for that range of price, getting a bad GPU just because it has a game with it is like buying the GPU solely for that game, you'll regret it later pass the years.

You might think otherwise but that's your choise =)

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (7243 posts) -

PS. About the RAM, if your mobo supports dual channel get 2x 4Gb, 16Gb is pointless unless you stream/video edit/music edit.

#15 Edited by DIV1D3 (122 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@DIV1D3 all of the brands you've mentioned are good.

To be honest if I choose GPU i'd get the best for that range of price, getting a bad GPU just because it has a game with it is like buying the GPU solely for that game, you'll regret it later pass the years.

You might think otherwise but that's your choise =)

I'm not going to get a bad GPU, unless you think of the R9 290 as a bad GPU, it's just that I'm a fan of FPSs and if I can get a next-gen game with a really good GPU than I'll take it.

@PredatorRules said:

PS. About the RAM, if your mobo supports dual channel get 2x 4Gb, 16Gb is pointless unless you stream/video edit/music edit.

That's what I was thinking about but I just wasn't sure to which was smarter at this point in time. I just thought that 16GBs of RAM would be a good addition to a future-proof gaming PC. Also could anyone suggest a good mobo for a $2000 budget (well $1500 for the tower but $2000 for the whole setup), just need to get all of my components sorted.