Moving used hard drive into another PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by comeonthehoops (2075 posts) -

Hi

My computer just died and won't boot, and before I put it to be repaired I want to back up my data onto my brother's computer by putting my hard drive in his computer as a second drive.My drive contains everything from my old computer (windows, installations and music etc.)

However his PC has a RAID set up and I don't know if it will work. Is it possible to add another hard drive as a second drive to a computer with a RAID set up?

I don't plan to boot to this drive or anything, I just want to copy over some of my files so I don't lose them. Is this even possible if the drive has windows installed?

Also, the drive has no jumper on it. It is a SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, and I researched this on the internet and it said that the drive will configure itself automatically. Is this true?

#2 Posted by marcthpro (7927 posts) -
not if they the same hard drive example (fictive number) Two Seagate 160GB ST31601 if it 602/603 may not work ect.
if he as place for 3-4 more hard drive then add it into the other slut plug it into the Power-supply . select slave in bios
store the data on ur bro computer then reformat ur hard drive or something on a new pc
that mean you'll have to wipe-out C:/ For add Window XP / vISta once again
then you should be able insert the data from ur computer hard drive to ur hard drive quite a complex move tough
#3 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -
If the slot you use to plug the drive is not configured as part of the raid array, the system will just see it as another drive and you can copy/paste from/to it.
#4 Posted by marcthpro (7927 posts) -
yeah if he as the poweruspply that as slot and motherboard without remove is raid 0 tough right ?
but most of motherboard i know are from 4 to 10 : SATA connetion mean you can put 10 hard drive & or a SATA DVD rom instead of ide but if is hard drive is SATA then it sure should see it as only a data hard drive and allow to copy unless it was locked with password from acess the files but only business company does that :D cause the business my uncle lol
Impossible to partion / put the hard drive anywhere else without the key or wipeout the data
#5 Posted by comeonthehoops (2075 posts) -

If the slot you use to plug the drive is not configured as part of the raid array, the system will just see it as another drive and you can copy/paste from/to it.Gog

The PC has 4 SATA slots and 2 are used as part of the RAID array. Does that mean the 2 spair slots ae not part of the RAID array, and I can just plug my hard drive into one of the spare slots and copy my files accross?

#6 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -
Yes
#7 Posted by comeonthehoops (2075 posts) -

Will I need to change the boot order in the bios, and make sure it boots to the RAID array first?

Also, will it configure itself as a slave drive on it's own?

#8 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -

By default, teh boot order follows the SATA slot order so you normally won't have to change thing.

There is no such thing as master/slave for SATA disks. It's just an additional disk.

#9 Posted by aura_enchanted (7942 posts) -
hello have we all gone and forgotten our pin settings to set it as either a) cable select or b) slave :P or have i missed it somewhere
#10 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -
Again, SATA drives don't have jumper settings for master/slave. It's one cable per drive.