Moving to Hex-core processor?

#1 Posted by Dom_Hawk_basic (404 posts) -

With the release of Xbox One and the PS4, it seems that the specs for games have actually taken a reasonable jump in the last 6 to 8 months. Since these systsms have more cores do you think we'll see games on the PC side move to the more professional end of the intel spectrum or is a HT i7 all one is ever going to need? For ex the specs in Watch Dogs recommend a i7 3770 (I have a 3770K in my PC) but in the next year or so should I be thinking about heading to Broadwell-E or would I be better off with Skylake(late 2015) processor? I know one ot those will support PCI-E 4.0 but that won't most likely be viable for anything other than m.2/PCI-E SSD until 2016 or 2017.

If anyone here programs applications as well i'm curious on your thoughts, as I'm thinking about trying my hand in that arena.

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (19954 posts) -

Nope games have not increased specs for games needing more then 4 threads or cores. Watchdogs is a prime example of developers promoting hardware, an i3 did a better job then any AMD quad core cpu let alone matching AMD hexacore cpu's with Watchdogs. These consoles cpu's are very weak and that just because they have the use of six cores/threads for the games does not magically make games need a cpu with 6 or more cores/threads. Those cpu's being used in those consoles are only around 1.6 ghz and to the fact that the Jaguar architecture is 35% slower then AMD's 2009 Athlon 2 's. Which means that any semi modern quad core cpu at 2.6ghz or above can out process those console cpu's.

More cores and or threads dont mean better performance vs cpu's that have less cores/threads but are able to process alot more data. Since you have an i7 3770k you will fine for a long while, just wait until you actually need to upgrade that cpu.

#3 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8555 posts) -

Yea you'd be wasting your money upgrading from i7 already. I have a 2500k and see no reason to upgrade it anytime soon. These consoles were not a major leap but at least they are more PC like so ports should be easier to PC using to crank up the details and res.

#4 Posted by GTR12 (9813 posts) -

Hopefully my 3570k is another Q6600 that manages to last the entire gen or getting close to when it ends.

#5 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8555 posts) -

I'd like to upgrade my 2500+ just because I find it exciting to get new hardware. I just can't justify it yet. I kinda hope something really worth it comes

#6 Posted by Lach0121 (9897 posts) -

I am still on a phenom II 940 quad at 3ghz.

We are thinking of going the way of the new 5820k hex core with HT, depending on results/price once launched. IF I had an I7 already I would try holding out quite a bit longer.

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (8386 posts) -

@Dom_Hawk_basic said:

For ex the specs in Watch Dogs recommend a i7 3770

On the real world the 4670K works as good as i7

#8 Edited by naz99 (1544 posts) -

I have a 1st gen i7 860 that is going to be 5 years old in september, i clocked it up to 4ghz ...and i still see no reason to upgrade

#9 Posted by harry_james_pot (11046 posts) -

The i7 requirement is a joke. Go take a look at the Watch Dogs benchmarks.

@GTR12 said:

Hopefully my 3570k is another Q6600 that manages to last the entire gen or getting close to when it ends.

Ah.. The magical Q6600! :D I loved that thing.

#10 Posted by WG_McFartypants (218 posts) -

I miss the days when games drove new hardware purchases, but that just isn't where the market is at right now.

#11 Edited by sSubZerOo (43337 posts) -

@Dom_Hawk_basic said:

With the release of Xbox One and the PS4, it seems that the specs for games have actually taken a reasonable jump in the last 6 to 8 months. Since these systsms have more cores do you think we'll see games on the PC side move to the more professional end of the intel spectrum or is a HT i7 all one is ever going to need? For ex the specs in Watch Dogs recommend a i7 3770 (I have a 3770K in my PC) but in the next year or so should I be thinking about heading to Broadwell-E or would I be better off with Skylake(late 2015) processor? I know one ot those will support PCI-E 4.0 but that won't most likely be viable for anything other than m.2/PCI-E SSD until 2016 or 2017.

If anyone here programs applications as well i'm curious on your thoughts, as I'm thinking about trying my hand in that arena.

.. You forgot to mention that Watch Dogs also recommended the 8350 amd.. A chip that is consistently beaten by the I5 2500k both stock and overclocked, including in this game from what I have seen of benchmarks.. This alone should have shown that the question was answered with a resounding NO. If anything such high recommends illustrates how poorly optimized and designed these games actually are, rather than technology pushing forward..

#12 Posted by mastershake575 (8357 posts) -

The i7 3770K is like 4-5x faster than the consoles CPU (your going to be fine).

As others have mentioned, the consoles are using 6 threads but that's because the threads are weak (one core of an i7 is literally as fast as 4-5 cores of the consoles). Games might start utilizing 6+ threads in the future but if 4 very very fast threads can give the program/game the desired power than it won't matter (for most setups 4 very strong cores at 3.9ghz will easily get the job done).

#13 Edited by wis3boi (31601 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@GTR12 said:

I was a dunce back in the Crysis days when everyone was gearing up and got the E6600. God that thing sucked after having it for like, a year :P

#14 Posted by harry_james_pot (11046 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@GTR12 said:

I was a dunce back in the Crysis days when everyone was gearing up and got the E6600. God that thing sucked after having it for like, a year :P

I remember everyone being like.. Who needs a Quadcore, it's an overkill, blah blah.. :D

#15 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3804 posts) -

i have an i7 and i only saw watch dogs use a max of around 30-40% of my total cpu during gameplay. so upgrading probably would be pointless. If thats the most demanding game they can make that is. Thats a pretty terrible game to compare cause it runs choppy on hardware that it shouldn't... its so far the only ps4/x1 game i have that is on pc also.

mentioned already.. the more cores doesnt mean it would be faster (for gaming especially). If u see the 6 core intel cpus, they run games ever so slightly slower then the 4 core ones in some benchmarks. Not noticeable unless benchmarked, but as it is, you already got 8 threads on your cpu which aren't even being used properly by current games, 16 threads wouldn't even get touched by any games anytime soon.

Can't really suggest anything till theres real benchmarks on the new intel cpus to know where to go with this. It could be all different and maybe they will out perform current 4-6 core intel cpus by a lot, but if going by previous intel gen cpu releases i doubt it'll really force anyone to upgrade.