moving operating system from HDD to SSD

#1 Posted by glassfish100 (12 posts) -

Hi

i built a computer recently and now i have brought an ssd, i would like to move the operating system onto the ssd without having to completely which the old stuff on the HDD as i don't want to have to re-install all of my steam games

i have a copy of the windows 8.1 cd

whats the best way of doing this

thanks guys

#2 Edited by FelipeInside (25166 posts) -

Hi

i built a computer recently and now i have brought an ssd, i would like to move the operating system onto the ssd without having to completely which the old stuff on the HDD as i don't want to have to re-install all of my steam games

i have a copy of the windows 8.1 cd

whats the best way of doing this

thanks guys

I would recommend installing from scratch since Windows will configure itself to run on an SSD, which uses different technology than a HDD.

If you still want to transfer the OS, the best way is to use a CLONING program. There are a few paid programs out there but a free one is Easus ToDo Backup, which has the CLONE feature: http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

You basically clone the OS HDD onto the SSD, then plug the SSD into the PC BY ITSELF and make sure everything boots up etc. Then you plug the HDD in.

#3 Posted by glassfish100 (12 posts) -

if i just do a re-image but select the ssd instead would that work or will i have 2 OS installs

#4 Posted by FelipeInside (25166 posts) -

if i just do a re-image but select the ssd instead would that work or will i have 2 OS installs

What do you mean by re-image?

And you need to quote people who you reply to or else they won't get a notification here.

#5 Posted by PredatorRules (7216 posts) -

You'll have two OS installed, I really recommend a fresh install, all your games and important programs/ music vids etc backup with some external HDD or something (some games and programs might not work and needs to reinstall)

#6 Edited by glassfish100 (12 posts) -

@glassfish100 said:

You'll have two OS installed, I really recommend a fresh install, all your games and important programs/ music vids etc backup with some external HDD or something (some games and programs might not work and needs to reinstall)

ok sounds good

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (12964 posts) -

Leave everything on your hard drive and install windows fresh on the SSD. This way you can dual boot if you need something that you haven't got running on the new install yet. Once you have all your programs installed you can delete the old windows installation.

Steam is very good about this, you won't need to redownload, just point steam at the old library (on the HDD) when you install it and it will pick up all the games so when you click download/install it only has to install since the files are already downloaded.

#8 Edited by Reaper4278 (337 posts) -

I cloned my wife's HDD to her new SSD without any issue at all. Software came with the Samung 840EVO.

#9 Edited by patmondor (15 posts) -

@reaper4278:

BINGO! Just did it...was painless and easy. Never looked back.