Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord announced!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gxgxgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gxgxgf
Member since 2004 • 117 Posts

The silence is finally broken! We are thrilled to officially announce Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, the sequel to Mount & Blade: Warband, is in development. War and drums and blood will surely ensue but for now, enjoy our announcement teaser...

http://www.taleworlds.com/

Spread the word people, M&B has THE BEST melee combat system in any game ever. M&B2 will the THE PC GAME to look out for.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
"M&B has THE BEST melee combat system in any game ever" Totally disagree. Anyways I enjoyed the hell out of the M&B games so looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us next.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Loved the other M&B games so i'll be keeping an eye on this one. Hope they show some gameplay footage soon.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
This is old news, but I agree that M&B has the best melee combat system that I've spent time with. Most people who don't think so likely haven't learned its intricacies (or have much experience with it in general. Try turning off auto-directional block!)
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Renevent42
This is old news, but I agree that M&B has the best melee combat system that I've spent time with. Most people who don't think so likely haven't learned its intricacies (or have much experience with it in general. Try turning off auto-directional block!) KHAndAnime
I've played the game since way early in the beta...I know the intricacies. Just because someone holds a different opinion doesn't mean they are ignorant.
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]This is old news, but I agree that M&B has the best melee combat system that I've spent time with. Most people who don't think so likely haven't learned its intricacies (or have much experience with it in general. Try turning off auto-directional block!) Renevent42
I've played the game since way early in the beta...I know the intricacies. Just because someone holds a different opinion doesn't mean they are ignorant.

I wouldn't say ignorant, however you didn't really explain yourself. You said you disagreed, why? whats wrong with it? What game do you think does it better?

I agree with the other guys here M&B has really mastered melee combat.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]This is old news, but I agree that M&B has the best melee combat system that I've spent time with. Most people who don't think so likely haven't learned its intricacies (or have much experience with it in general. Try turning off auto-directional block!) Renevent42

The closest analogy I can think of is saying in 2007 that Crysis 1 doesn't have the best technical graphics... Sure you could make the argument, but in that case, what other games do you have in mind?

I've spent quite a few hours just dueling on WFAS and aside from the M&B series I haven't come across any melee combat that doesn't feel clunky or cumbersome in comparison so on that alone M&B 2 has my wallet's vote.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]This is old news, but I agree that M&B has the best melee combat system that I've spent time with. Most people who don't think so likely haven't learned its intricacies (or have much experience with it in general. Try turning off auto-directional block!) Crypt_mx

I wouldn't say ignorant, however you didn't really explain yourself. You said you disagreed, why? whats wrong with it? What game do you think does it better?

Neither did any of the folks saying it's TEH BEST EVAR...I just disagreed but you didn't see me saying those who think it is just haven't played some other game now did you? Anyways since you asked, for a game around brutal medieval combat here's the things I dislike about it: -Feels sluggish in places...like swing through pudding -Lack of satisfying impacts (especially to shields) -Blood is minimal -Lack of dismemberment -Certain animations are not well done The reality is M&B was made with very little resources so there's quite a few things that could have been done tons better. Don't get me wrong though, I love M&B and for what it is it's really an exceptional game. I think the underlying mechanics (like the blocking, moving, movement/momentum , ect) is outstanding, but for me it does not convey the 'feeling' of really brutal melee combat all that well. anyways hopefully they release some actual in game stuff for MB:2...while i am looking forward to the game that trailer wasn't exactly exciting.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]This is old news, but I agree that M&B has the best melee combat system that I've spent time with. Most people who don't think so likely haven't learned its intricacies (or have much experience with it in general. Try turning off auto-directional block!) Zubinen

The closest analogy I can think of is saying in 2007 that Crysis 1 doesn't have the best technical graphics... Sure you could make the argument, but in that case, what other games do you have in mind?

I've spent quite a few hours just dueling on WFAS and aside from the M&B series I haven't come across any melee combat that doesn't feel clunky or cumbersome in comparison so on that alone M&B 2 has my wallet's vote.

Except for that's a pretty poor analogy. what a person enjoys from a melee combat game is way more subjective than how many polygons a game has vs another.
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

[QUOTE="Crypt_mx"]

[QUOTE="Renevent42"] I've played the game since way early in the beta...I know the intricacies. Just because someone holds a different opinion doesn't mean they are ignorant.Renevent42

Neither did any of the folks saying it's TEH BEST EVAR...I just disagreed but you didn't see me saying those who think it is just haven't played some other game now did you? Anyways since you asked, for a game around brutal medieval combat here's the things I dislike about it: -Feels sluggish in places...like swing through pudding -Lack of satisfying impacts (especially to shields) -Blood is minimal -Lack of dismemberment -Certain animations are not well done The reality is M&B was made with very little resources so there's quite a few things that could have been done tons better. Don't get me wrong though, I love M&B and for what it is it's really an exceptional game. I think the underlying mechanics (like the blocking, moving, movement/momentum , ect) is outstanding, but for me it does not convey the 'feeling' of really brutal melee combat all that well. anyways hopefully they release some actual in game stuff for MB:2...while i am looking forward to the game that trailer wasn't exactly exciting.

Ill attempt to argue some of your points.

-Feels Sluggish. Have you tried swinging a real sword while wearing a suit of armor? It would be sluggish.

-Lack of satisfying impacts. I agree with this, they could improve it.

-Lack of blood/dismemberment. How exactly is this a criticism of the combat? Those are both visual effect and do not effect the way the game plays.

-Animations are not well done. Another true point but w.e

All of your criticisms dont take in to fact that the game has a small dev team and what they managed to accomplish is amazing. The game has a complete system that allows blocking and striking in all directions and relies on reaction time and skill to play. It is easily the best at what it does.

But you also didnt answer my question, what game does melee combat better?What are you comparing it to?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="Crypt_mx"]

Crypt_mx

Ill attempt to argue some of your points.

-Feels Sluggish. Have you tried swinging a real sword while wearing a suit of armor? It would be sluggish.

-Lack of satisfying impacts. I agree with this, they could improve it.

-Lack of blood/dismemberment. How exactly is this a criticism of the combat? Those are both visual effect and do not effect the way the game plays.

-Animations are not well done. Another true point but w.e

All of your criticisms dont take in to fact that the game has a small dev team and what they managed to accomplish is amazing. The game has a complete system that allows blocking and striking in all directions and relies on reaction time and skill to play. It is easily the best at what it does.

But you also didnt answer my question, what game does melee combat better?What are you comparing it to?

-Feels Sluggish

Actually I have swung a real sword while wearing armor (chain with a breastplate)...contrary to belief, medieval armor actually was made with mobility in mind. You can actually see this in action on some TV shows that recreate and test this stuff. Well made swords don't even weight that much, I own an arming sword (the real kind, like $500) and it's real easy to swing.

-Lack of blood/dismemberment

We're talking about a game revolving around viciuous medieval melee combat with brutal weaponry...I think it's a big thing personally. Interestingly enough, if you look forward at some of the new M&B-ish games coming out they all have this feature.

All of your criticisms dont take in to fact that the game has a small dev team and what they managed to accomplish is amazing.Crypt_mx

Actually I did, I mention the game's limited resources explicitly and even said it was exception despite it. Hell, I was involved in M&B since like the .6XX versions and was very aware of how the game was developed.

As far as being the best the best at directional blocking and the required skill to be the best, that I might agree with. As far as fun (and that's what I base what I consider the best), no, I don't think it was the best ever. Personally I thought Severence was more fun, as well as Dark Messiah.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zubinen
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="Zubinen"][QUOTE="Renevent42"] I've played the game since way early in the beta...I know the intricacies. Just because someone holds a different opinion doesn't mean they are ignorant.

Except for that's a pretty poor analogy. what a person enjoys from a melee combat game is way more subjective than how many polygons a game has vs another.

Pretty sure I can objectively say for instance that the melee combat in M&B games is simply better than that of combat in Skyrim and games like it, still curious though, what games do you think do melee combat better than Mount & Blade? I remove the cumbersome limitation since I know there are some "rough around the edges" games you've probably played being an enthusiast and all :P
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Zubinen"][QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="Zubinen"] The closest analogy I can think of is saying in 2007 that Crysis 1 doesn't have the best technical graphics... Sure you could make the argument, but in that case, what other games do you have in mind?

Pretty sure I can objectively say for instance that the melee combat in M&B games is simply better than that of combat in Skyrim and games like it, still curious though, what games do you think do melee combat better than Mount & Blade? I remove the cumbersome limitation since I know there are some "rough around the edges" games you've probably played being an enthusiast and all :P

I don't believe Skyrim has better combat than M&B, however, I don't think you could objectively say one is better than the other. You could of course point out the things you like about M&B's combat (like more nuanced directional attacks, more finese required to master, ect)...at the same time someone could legitimately like Skyrims better due to better animations, more impactful attacks, decapitations, better AI reactions (cowering, ect), and stuff like that. If we were going to make a car analogy, if the argument is between a Ferrari and a nice BMW and the question is which is faster, that's pretty objective. If the question is which is the best, that's really subjective. Maybe the comfort, ride, style, and amenities of a BMW makes it better to someone. "I remove the cumbersome limitation since I know there are some "rough around the edges" games you've probably played being an enthusiast and all" Apologize ahead of time if this should be apparent...is this sarcasm though? BTW I am not saying anyone is wrong for thinking M&B has the best melee combat...we all judge things different and certain aspects will be more/less important than others.
Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

[QUOTE="Crypt_mx"]

[QUOTE="Renevent42"] I've played the game since way early in the beta...I know the intricacies. Just because someone holds a different opinion doesn't mean they are ignorant.Renevent42

You still fail to tell us what game does it better. All your doing is saying what you don't like about it.

The only one that has a chance of having better melee combat is the new Chivalry Medieval Warfare game. I have spend 20+ hours with both systems and I can say they both have their advantages/disadvantages. CMW has a much simpler sytem but it feels a bit sharper (and it has all the visual things you like, though I don't see how that effects the combat system), but MB is much deeper yet it feels a bit clunky.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renevent42
Actually I did... Anyways Chivarly looks great I agree...and it seems to have quite a few things I mentioned I disliked about M&B.
Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

Actually I did... Anyways Chivarly looks great I agree...and it seems to have quite a few things I mentioned I disliked about M&B.Renevent42

Ah yeah I didn't see it hidden down in one of your posts, my bad.

I think from a competitive stance though MB has the best combat system out right now (Chivalry releases Oct 16th). It's the only one that really rewards skill. Some SP systems may rival it in enjoyment but no system really holds a candle to it in MP balance and skill.

And yes Chivalry is AWSOME. You can actually start playing it now if you buy the $50 package (it unlocks the game on Steam) or just buy the $30 and wait for release.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Actually I did... Anyways Chivarly looks great I agree...and it seems to have quite a few things I mentioned I disliked about M&B.Croag821

Ah yeah I didn't see it hidden down in one of your posts, my bad.

I think from a competitive stance though MB has the best combat system out right now (Chivalry releases Oct 16th). It's the only one that really rewards skill. Some SP systems may rival it in enjoyment but no system really holds a candle to it in MP balance and skill.

And yes Chivalry is AWSOME. You can actually start playing it now if you buy the $50 package (it unlocks the game on Steam) or just buy the $30 and wait for release.

From a competitive stance, I would agree with you.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i still can't stop laughing at the title. bonerlord. lol.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zubinen
[QUOTE="Renevent42"] Apologize ahead of time if this should be apparent...is this sarcasm though? BTW I am not saying anyone is wrong for thinking M&B has the best melee combat...we all judge things different and certain aspects will be more/less important than others.

Die By The Sword came to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41UyXgofO3o&t=1m28s I'm genuinely curious what other games you'd praise for their melee combat. As for M&B the bulk of my time was spent on duel mode servers so of course I'd like to know if there are any other games out there offering a similar experience.
gxgxgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gxgxgf

I've tried these other fake games - War of the Roses being the newest - I'm not religious but I thank God we have M&B combat. There isn't anything else that responsive and twich based when it comes to melee. When I jump into the air with my 2hander and slice straight through someones head and they fall to the ground.. nothing more satisfying. There's a reason why M&B has sold over a million copies and it's because of the easy to use but difficult to master combat system.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

bonnerlord...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime

If you know the intricacies, prove it to me in combat. I'd be surprised if you knew as much as you claimed. My point is that the combat system at the default settings in SP is gimped, and you haven't even really gotten a feel for the combat unless you've spent a lot of time with it in multiplayer. And most people who judge the game's combat haven't spent a lot of time with it in multiplayer, nor have any idea what actually makes it good.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]This is old news, but I agree that M&B has the best melee combat system that I've spent time with. Most people who don't think so likely haven't learned its intricacies (or have much experience with it in general. Try turning off auto-directional block!) KHAndAnime

If you know the intricacies, prove it to me in combat. I'd be surprised if you knew as much as you claimed. My point is that the combat system at the default settings in SP is gimped, and you haven't even really gotten a feel for the combat unless you've spent a lot of time with it in multiplayer. And most people who judge the game's combat haven't spent a lot of time with it in multiplayer, nor have any idea what actually makes it good.

I don't even have it installed anymore, and I wouldn't waste my time proving anything to you anyways. Nobody said anything about SP, I own Warband as well and played a lot of it in the months after it's release. Keep talking out of your ass your pretty good at it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

I don't even have it installed anymore, and I wouldn't waste my time proving anything to you anyways. Nobody said anything about SP, I own Warband as well and played a lot of it in the months after it's release. Keep talking out of your ass your pretty good at it.

How am I talking out of my ass? I'm curious, do you know how to chamber?
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] If you know the intricacies, prove it to me in combat. I'd be surprised if you knew as much as you claimed. My point is that the combat system at the default settings in SP is gimped, and you haven't even really gotten a feel for the combat unless you've spent a lot of time with it in multiplayer. And most people who judge the game's combat haven't spent a lot of time with it in multiplayer, nor have any idea what actually makes it good.

KHAndAnime

You keep making huge assumptions, that's how. I know lots of things, including the cheap stuff like the lolspin.
creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]

Renevent42

You keep making huge assumptions, that's how. I know lots of things, including the cheap stuff like the lolspin.

One would say you refused his offer to a duel? Doesn't help your point that you're arguing when you can't even 'bother' downloading 700mb :p
creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 creaturemagic
Anyway, MOUNT AND BLADE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, Chivalry doesn't even have cavalry, it's only half a medieval game ;)
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]

Renevent42

I only made one assumption - and it's one that follows all basic logic and common sense. Most people don't play Mount & Blade for it's multiplayer. and the default singleplayer experience has a really shallow combat experience (easy combat difficulty, most options off). I know plenty of people who have spent hundreds of hours with the game but have little idea how the combat actually works in a PvP setting, which is where it shines. And I have yet to play a game that comes remotely near M&B in terms of melee mechanics. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 creaturemagic
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] I only made one assumption - and it's one that follows all basic logic and common sense. Most people don't play Mount & Blade for it's multiplayer. and the default singleplayer experience has a really shallow combat experience (easy combat difficulty, most options off). I know plenty of people who have spent hundreds of hours with the game but have little idea how the combat actually works in a PvP setting, which is where it shines. And I have yet to play a game that comes remotely near M&B in terms of melee mechanics. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Well Said! I agree, while with mods (Floris, Prophecy of Pendor etc) the combat is much better, nothing readies you for PvP.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zubinen
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] How am I talking out of my ass? I'm curious, do you know how to chamber?

I only made one assumption - and it's one that follows all basic logic and common sense. Most people don't play Mount & Blade for it's multiplayer. and the default singleplayer experience has a really shallow combat experience (easy combat difficulty, most options off). I know plenty of people who have spent hundreds of hours with the game but have little idea how the combat actually works in a PvP setting, which is where it shines. And I have yet to play a game that comes remotely near M&B in terms of melee mechanics. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Just don't explode with rage if someone mentions War Of The Roses :P I've been trying for the past several posts to get him to list some games with melee combat arguably as good as what M&B games offer, it's not that I think none exist as M&B itself is a shoestring budget franchise(that isn't nearly as well known as I think it should be) and yet look at the gameplay, variety never hurts albeit it's not necessary for more involved games like M&B.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renevent42

I only made one assumption - and it's one that follows all basic logic and common sense. Most people don't play Mount & Blade for it's multiplayer. and the default singleplayer experience has a really shallow combat experience (easy combat difficulty, most options off). I know plenty of people who have spent hundreds of hours with the game but have little idea how the combat actually works in a PvP setting, which is where it shines. And I have yet to play a game that comes remotely near M&B in terms of melee mechanics. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.KHAndAnime

You made many other assumptions, including the insuniation that those that disagree must not understand the intracies of the combat system. Also, since you (and it seems others here too) can't read, I actually already agreed in a competative PvP sense I do agree it's probably the best.

Just don't explode with rage if someone mentions War Of The Roses :P I've been trying for the past several posts to get him to list some games with melee combat arguably as good as what M&B games offer, it's not that I think none exist as M&B itself is a shoestring budget franchise(that isn't nearly as well known as I think it should be) and yet look at the gameplay, variety never hurts albeit it's not necessary for more involved games like M&B. zubin

I did many posts back, but it appears most people don't bother reading other folks posts around here.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Renevent42
[QUOTE="creaturemagic"][QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] How am I talking out of my ass? I'm curious, do you know how to chamber?

One would say you refused his offer to a duel? Doesn't help your point that you're arguing when you can't even 'bother' downloading 700mb :p

Herp derp...I don't think I ever said I was the best player and can beat any person...why would I waste my time? I haven't played in over a year if he beat what would that prove? That he is better? Great, good for him. I stopped being a competitive gamer a long time ago...I have no interest in proving how big my e-peen is, unlike some other folks around here.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="Crypt_mx"]

I agree with most of that, though I love M&B and have spent a couple hundred hours across the different games. Personally Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has my favorite melee combat.
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

Melee combat? Why fight among the petty squable when I can ride circles around them and fire arrows into their heads?

Muahahahaha hahaha muahahaha.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="creaturemagic"][QUOTE="Renevent42"] You keep making huge assumptions, that's how. I know lots of things, including the cheap stuff like the lolspin.Renevent42

Herp derp...I don't think I ever said I was the best player and can beat any person...why would I waste my time? I haven't played in over a year if he beat what would that prove? That he is better? Great, good for him. I stopped being a competitive gamer a long time ago...I have no interest in proving how big my e-peen is, unlike some other folks around here.

I haven't played Mount & Blade for months, but you are right not to duel me because I have 3k+ hours logged with the game. I never said definitively that players who don't like the game don't know the combat system - I simply said that it's likely that they don't. If you're trying to give a credible opinion on something - it helps if you actually know what you're talking about to the fullest extent. A comparable scenario: someone plays through Max Payne 3 on easy difficulty with hard-lock auto-aim and then runs around saying the shooting mechanics sucked.

I agree that M&B's combat is far from perfect, and could use much improvement. But the basic system and concept that the combat follows is pretty damn fantastic. Sadly the execution in M&B could use improvement in all aspects. I would absolutely love more blood, gore, dismemberment, and more physics calculated into the hits. There's a lot of interesting things that could be added to it.

Sadly War of the Roses is a complete step backwards. There's absolutely nothing redeemable about that game's combat. Expect uber-low scores. :P

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#37 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Mount and Blade combat is great. The graphics might not be very good but the gameplay and combat are alot of fun.

Id say the Batman games, Sleeping Dogs and Mount and Blade have the best melee combat.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zubinen
I did many posts back, but it appears most people don't bother reading other folks posts around here.Renevent42
You did as a response to someone else's post and under the description of "more fun", Sleeping Dogs combat is engulfed by BAC, Dark Messiah is a good choice although I didn't spend much time on the MP, and I suppose Arkham City qualifies although I consider it more of a brawler, still didn't beat BAC even though it has been sitting on my HDD for months. Also the greatest villain of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rl0tfQO9E
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]I did many posts back, but it appears most people don't bother reading other folks posts around here.Zubinen
You did as a response to someone else's post and under the description of "more fun", Sleeping Dogs combat is engulfed by BAC, Dark Messiah is a good choice although I didn't spend much time on the MP, and I suppose Arkham City qualifies although I consider it more of a brawler, still didn't beat BAC even though it has been sitting on my HDD for months. Also the greatest villain of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rl0tfQO9E

Well I still did, people asked and I said which I thought were. Regarding "fun" that's really my main criteria...as I explained before the things that really matter to me is the feeling of weighty visceral combat, and for me Dark Messiah is pretty much the best combat so far. Just to reiterate though, I do agree with M&B requiring the most skill in PvP and if that's your thing, I would can see why folks would enjoy M&B's combat the most. I actually think Dark Messiah's MP is a bit underrated...while it certainly isn't as sophisticated as M&B, I really found the balancing between the different classes really cool.
gxgxgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gxgxgf

This is seriously going to be THE PC GAME to look out for. They're building it from the ground up, new graphics, new code, new physics, animations etc. omg OMG.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

For those who didnt see it, here was an interview from a while back.

D: You have done a great job improving the combat system from M&B WB. Between the horizontal strokes of M&B and animations more elaborate WB - in which you added the possibility of kicking - there is an abyss. How are you going to do with M&B2? It will be simple evolution, or plan to totally revolutionize the system of strikes and blocks?
R: We are re-doing everything again, we are not using anything from the old games. As for the game mechanics, I know for sure we are going to work on the parry system. We implemented it into the later versions of Warband. We are also rewriting all the animations for blocking, for example. Blocking was nice, but you know, was a little blocky, back then. There are some attacks that you cant just stop with an upper block, you have to divert it, we are taking care of stuff like that. Its going to be an evolution, as you said, not a revolution. The combat system is going to be essentially the same, but its going to be improved. A lot. We changed programming language and everything

D: And what about the module system?
R: there wont be a module system anymore. Its going to be a lot more accessible, the whole structure of the game is being rewritten, tenths of times, for the modders to do whatever they please. We created a new game from scratches. What has started as a husband and wife project has expanded, as you know, and the new code began accumulating on top of the old code. It became a little clumsy, it is natural. Have you messed with the shader file, for example?

D: I didnt have the courage. But I remember seeing the zombie texture around the folder, a few times.
R: exactly. Many things right now are hard coded, like animations, that cant be changed without the help of a developer. You wont have as many limitations in M&B 2.

D: Regarding the map, will there be a new map? Will the world change, will it remain the same? Hows it going to be for single-player lovers?
R: the game, in terms of campaign and the world itself has changed like three times from now, but we are pretty confident we are going to keep this version. Lets just say we are going to expand what you already know about Calradia.

D: You know there had been many successful modifications for the game, and one of the best known is the Strategus cRPG, which allows the players to have some sort of multiplayer campaign. Will there be any feature like that in the game to come?
R: at this stage a multiplayer, competitive or cooperative looks still pretty difficult to make.

D: Warband opened a completely new market and a completely new fanbase for the M&B franchise. It also created a new genre for multiplayer games, a niche that some other software houses are trying to exploit. How is Taleworlds going to deal with the competition?
R: Ah, the competition lets just say well carry on doing what we can do best: offer some historically plausible, rock-hard gameplay. Thats what we are trying to keep for the multiplayer.

D: Are you going to focus more on a more accessible playability or are you going to keep on going on the track opened by Warband?
R: Of course, there wont be anything like a Viking battling a space marine (although it would be awesome n.d.r.), but we wont be focusing on a specific year. No French vs. English, for example. We are going to expand, stretch and bend it a little. Lets just say that.

D: still about the multiplayer, there is a diffused concern regarding TWs support of the multiplayer community. In regards especially to official community sporting events, like the NC and the ENL, and in general the competitive side of the gaming. Will there be in M&B 2 a more stable and organized supports for clans, players, maps?
R: we have been talking about it a lot by now. The Nations Cup support, or the new website, which is a little old by now, but was intended to work as some sort of portal page, where you could register your profile, your serial, see the games you owned and stuff like that. Our best effort was put in creating a stable community that supported us, and for which we could produce stuff for. We are also working on some sort of official ladder, a series of official tournaments.

D: what about players IDs? Will there be a system to officially recognize player names and clans?
R: we are really thinking about it, we like the idea of a player account usable for the forums, the community, the game, the data being gathered in some separate database, accessible from other computers, for example. We are working on it.

D: And now for a particularly interesting point concerning the Italian community: will there be an official Italian translation?
R: the only translations done until now were done by players, so probably yes. The localizations were made by players who approached us, then the translations would be revised and corrected, and finally accepted.
And it is because the community OWNS the game. There have been contributions, suggestions that have been put into the game. This sense of property is maybe one of the reasons why we have such a loyal and affectionate community.

D: Still, there has been a recent controversy, which can be somehow told like this: the attitude has changed a lot since the very beginnings where community-developers interaction was the norm, to this day.
R: We are a lot bigger now. When I got hired first, there was five people at TW. Now we are 25. Working on a bigger, better, stronger game. We dont really have much to show now, not just yet. There has been no official press release, you know, but the word is out there. But once we are ready to show something to you guys, well get back on track, receiving millions and millions of tons of feedback and comments. We are going to get back on track. We are not a huge, faceless corporate company: the community is all weve got.
Well get back on track, I promise.

D: the most important question of all: in M&B2 will there be dinosaurs?
R: *laughs* only if you dig deep enough!

D: speaking of phisics, how will the players interact with the environments in M&B2?
R: Its still very early to talk, but we would like the game environment to be interactive as much as possible. The ideal would be to have the player pick-up, destroy and throw stuff. We are rebuilding, or should I say building, a physics engine from scratches.

Interview

Well, if they stick to this, them rewriting everthing was expected. The team is much larger now than it was back then. It all sounds good, and I hope they stick to their words.

ServiceSleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ServiceSleeper
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
This is great news... I enjoed Mount and Blade... I played it in the beta and it was great!