Mother board and graphic card?.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Most people say that CPU and graphic card are the main thing to a PC and i find when looking at the forums people say average i5-2500K and a NVidia 600 graphic card is good enough. But what about the mother board when you want to up grade the graphic cards?. At the moment I have a z77x-ud3h mobo i7 3770k ivy and a 670GTX graphic card. Don't now how to ask this properly but how do you no when a graphic card is too powerful for your mobo or if its worth getting for that mobo later on?. I am not looking at the moment I was just wondering about this for along time.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

That motherboard and CPU should last you for several more years. Your CPU is one of the fastest out there, and the motherboard is irrelevant until you decide to upgrade the CPU...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

A graphics card cannot be 'too powerful' for a motherboard. To be honest it can't really be too powerful. It isn't sensible to pair a very powerful graphics card with a weak CPU since it will be held back, but it means that when you upgrade CPU you get an even bigger boost.

PCI-E specifications are backwards compatible anyway - I'm running a PCI-E3.0 card on a PCI-E2.0 slot, there's no real performance difference.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

You can know when your GPU, CPU and RAM are too powerful for your mobo by looking and the mobo specs. A GPU can be too powerful for example on my old MOBO I can install PCI 3 GPU, a modern one, but the mobo is old with PCI 2 tech, so the GPU would work fine but not at it's 100% power.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@PredatorRules: Even with SLI Titans running at extremely high resolutions, the difference between PCI-E 3.0 and 2.0 is way too small to notice. With single GPU setups, the difference is even smaller. It's definitely not worth upgrading for a single frame per second. Hell, PCI-E 1.1 is still plenty fast enough for modern cards, though the CPU would be a bottleneck...