Modular vs Non Modular PSU

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hkhatir (590 posts) -

Is this a huge factor in your PSU buying decision. How big a cable management problem is a non modular psu going to have over a modular one??

#2 Posted by C_Rule (9741 posts) -

Is this a huge factor in your PSU buying decision. How big a cable management problem is a non modular psu going to have over a modular one??

hkhatir
Check your other thread for my comment.
#3 Posted by Xeros606 (11126 posts) -
I don't think it really matters. I have a modular PSU and it's still kind of messy.
#4 Posted by Skullsoldi3r (169 posts) -
Depending how much Wattage you need. More Wattage usually means more cables on a non modular. With a modular supply you plug in only what you need which usually means you dont have a bunch of extra wires blocking airflow and being in the way of parts. Cable management also relies on a good case just as much as a power supply, as you need to have adequate room to put your cables .
#5 Posted by keiblerfan69 (15237 posts) -
It didn't bother me at first but now I hate it. I can't stand having those extra cables laying around anymore.
#6 Posted by flyingsnail (793 posts) -
I bought a non modular psu, I now wish I had spent the extra money on a modular psu. All those unused cables are so messy and in my way.
#7 Posted by LordRork (2690 posts) -

Mine is non-modular and I've got a huge pile of cables at the bottom of my case just taking up space. Modular is the way forward.

#8 Posted by C_Rule (9741 posts) -

My new PSU which I'm getting tomorrow is modular, lets see how it goes.

#9 Posted by GTR12 (9540 posts) -

Non-modular and don't really care, its not like im staring into the case 24/7 staring at cables.

#10 Posted by BDK-Soft (795 posts) -
I have a full tower case so the big bundle of unused cables doesn't really bother me or the airflow. With a little cable management it shouldn't really be that big of a deal anyway.
#11 Posted by clyde46 (46248 posts) -

Go modular.

#12 Posted by quijeros (1728 posts) -

My new PSU which I'm getting tomorrow is modular, lets see how it goes.C_Rule

Good choice. I hate having all those extra cables jammed into my case. Luckily, I'm getting a larger case in the coming week, so it won't be as cramped.

#13 Posted by 0ds (254 posts) -

Yeah if I were you I would go modular. I was kinda stuck between a 650 watt psu and a 550 watt but the 550 had modular(both psu made by Antec) So I decided to go with the 550. They were the same price too. I have a really off brand psu now and there is wires all over. I tried bunching them up and using zip ties but it still looks like crap and not the best air flow. I'm glad I went with the modular! I will install it tonight and post pictures of before and after if you want =)

#14 Posted by Threesixtyci (4287 posts) -

Modular is only useful, if the PSU you buy has a single rail. If the PSU comes with multiple 12volt rails (and most are set up for 4 rails.) then modular support amounts to a needless, feature.

Reason being. In order to put less stress per rail for a mutiple rail setup, you must use all the cables available to balance out the power between all of the 12v rails. So modular, becomes a no win situation with multi-railed, PSU's. In that if you don't use all the cables, then you aren't using all the rails that the PSU has to offer.

In such an instance it's like a city road crew: one guy does all the work and the other 3 guys do nothing but watch him.

#15 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -
To me cable management depends entirely on the case, and not the type of power supply you get. For instance, this is a non-modular powersupply in a HAF 922 and as you can tell there isn't any problem with the extra cables. IMO modular power supplies don't make that large of a difference in all but the smallest cases.  And heres a non-modular in my old Cooler Master Centurion 5, which has absolutely no cable management features:
#16 Posted by 0ds (254 posts) -

Clean setup^^

But yeah another thing to factor in is the Case size, the above poster has a large full ATX case so he has a ton of room to play around with and hide cables. As for me, Im stuck with a mid right now. Although I don't need a full at the moment. Anyways Ill post a before and after of my case to kinda give you an idea later on tonight

#17 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -

Clean setup^^

But yeah another thing to factor in is the Case size, the above poster has a large full ATX case so he has a ton of room to play around with and hide cables. As for me, Im stuck with a mid right now. Although I don't need a full at the moment. Anyways Ill post a before and after of my case to kinda give you an idea later on tonight

0ds
Actually the HAF 922 is technically a mid tower, though it is the biggest mid tower I've ever worked in. But its definitely smaller than the 932 932 on the left, 922 on the right:
#18 Posted by MaoTheChimp (1727 posts) -

Modular is only useful, if the PSU you buy has a single rail. If the PSU comes with multiple 12volt rails (and most are set up for 4 rails.) then modular support amounts to a needless, feature.

Reason being. In order to put less stress per rail for a mutiple rail setup, you must use all the cables available to balance out the power between all of the 12v rails. So modular, becomes a no win situation with multi-railed, PSU's. In that if you don't use all the cables, then you aren't using all the rails that the PSU has to offer.

In such an instance it's like a city road crew: one guy does all the work and the other 3 guys do nothing but watch him.

Threesixtyci

They take into account the rail distribution when designing a modular PSU, so unless a PSU is shoddily built, the modular aspect shouldn't be detrimental to a multi-rail PSU's performance.

#19 Posted by Threesixtyci (4287 posts) -
And yet the modular plug in's cables are separated by rail number....
#20 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7411 posts) -

Depends on the case more, get a case with space behind the mobo and pretty much all your wire problemo is gone. Mines doesnt have one and even though I bought a modular is still messy, but bearable.

#21 Posted by MaoTheChimp (1727 posts) -

And yet the modular plug in's cables are separated by rail number....Threesixtyci

Would you prefer the rails to be unmarked?

#22 Posted by Rhamsus (1078 posts) -
I prefer modular. Less cables is less to manage which means less time working on the least "fun" aspect of PC building.