Milliion doller question: GTA IV vs GTA Sanandreas

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dreamerdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 dreamerdonkey
Member since 2012 • 82 Posts

Well, after really long time later I played GTA Sanandreas and you know what I am completely surprised that I still love to play this game and suddenly I reaize that this game is much more better than GTA IV. GTA SA in run better on the pc than GTA IV and GTA SA mission is full of variety. Where GTA IV mission is some thing like go shoot and bang them up, nothing else or nothing less. Though I have to admit that GTA IV have much nicer look than GTA SA. But still I like GTA SA more than GTA IV.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I feel like GTA4 totally nailed the feel of the city, and got the atmosphere perfect for a GTA game (surely thanks to the advanced engine), but San Andreas was the peak of GTA games, for sheer variety of fun stuff to do. That's why I'm more excited for GTA5 than I ever was for any other GTA game.

TROD_BING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TROD_BING
Member since 2008 • 768 Posts

GTA IV is fun, but it did not keep me playing like San Andreas did/still does.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

GTA: SA was arguably the best in the series, albeit ugly. The new game looked better but was constrained due to the the city environment and focus on realism . GTA V might just be awesome, with more activities/ jets etc.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
I became bored of GTA 4 after a while where's San Andreas is one if my favourite games of all time. 4 was a step back in the series for me.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

san andreas started brilliantly but then went downhill rapidly.

i'll pick iv

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
San Andreas was better, 4 was great but it didn't have that super fun feeling and at times it felt like a chore.
dreamerdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dreamerdonkey

i'll pick iv

Macutchi
Don't agree, show us some point.
Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Going back to San Andreas feels off to me now, the simplicity of the cities, the weak physics, the bad animations... Even the story feels stupid now with all that gangsta crap. The missions are more varied, thats true, but many of them are badly designed and I didn't enjoy them.

I loved it back when it came out in 2004, but I think it hasn't aged that well. GTA IV is just superior in many ways, and GTA V will make even the most nostalgic gamers forget about GTA SA.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Personally I prefer IV, but both are great. I feel like IV went in the direction Rockstar has always wanted to go in for the series, giving us this great living, breathing city we couldn't get last generation with actual fun gameplay (whereas before, the shooting and driving mechanics were always rather bland and stale). Plus I definitely prefer the focus on polish and attention to detail over sheer amount of content, much of which wasn't even very well done in previous games.

V I'm excited for simply because it looks like it's combining the crazy factor of San Andreas in it's world design, content and missions, while retaining the storytelling and characterization improvements we got in IV.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

i'll pick iv

dreamerdonkey

Don't agree, show us some point.

ok well just because i'm bored -

if you mean proof, i mean that the game started off well in the hood; great gangsta theme, left you with a cliffhanger of discovering big smoke and ryder had betrayed you with the green sabre mission - all brilliant.

then the next thing you know, your wannabe gangster CJ - instead of rescuing his brother from jail - is chasing hippies for combine harvesters, performing ridiculous robberies with the most detestable woman in the world (why would you even go near her?), racing a blind asian guy through the countryside (wtf), and moving towns to open a mechanic / garage with a pot smokin hippy you just met.

i don't recall those sort of storylines from menace2society, boyz in da hood, juice etc but then maybe thats just me....

then it was all about stretching out that story to be as thin as possible. to cram in as much as they humanly could. overkill.

jack of all trades master of none.

plus CJ was literally the most stupid protaginist ive ever played as.

and the driving. my god the amount of driving was excruciating.

that enough for ya? :roll:

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

San Andreas was fun to explore, but story wise, it was too long for its own good, LS was great, SF was decent, but LV was mediocre at best and more of a chore to play.

GTA IV is the perfect GTA so far, there is no other modern (city environment) game anywhere with such an atmosphere and extremely alive game world.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

San Andreas is one of the most over-hyped games ever made. I was just saying to someone, just because you have a lot of stuff to do in a game doesn't mean that any of it is actually good. People harp on about the variety when they are just basic mini games that blind people from how tedious the game actually is. There are long, long stretches in that game where you will have to travel to a mission...to start it. If you fail, you go all the way back. Add in some terrible controls and pointless missions and its a tough slog.

IV on the other hand is the GTA game I've always wanted to play. Jaw-dropping city, brimming with incredible details. Almost every mission is well thought out and refined. There are game changing touches, like the mobile phone and situations I've never seen before. One of the favourites of the generation.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust

San Andreas is one of the most over-hyped games ever made. I was just saying to someone, just because you have a lot of stuff to do in a game doesn't mean that any of it is actually good. People harp on about the variety when they are just basic mini games that blind people from how tedious the game actually is. There are long, long stretches in that game where you will have to travel to a mission...to start it. If you fail, you go all the way back. Add in some terrible controls and pointless missions and its a tough slog.

IV on the other hand is the GTA game I've always wanted to play. Jaw-dropping city, brimming with incredible details. Almost every mission is well thought out and refined. There are game changing touches, like the mobile phone and situations I've never seen before. One of the favourites of the generation.

biggest_loser
Been a while since I fully agreed with everything you said, R* always takes everything to the next level in terms of immersion and detail, GTA IV might be smaller in size compared to SA, but as with every game R* releases, it has overall way more detail, making IV highly compressed, filled with details, with unique things to explore around every single corner and as you mentioned, integrating certain uses for the phone and other things that you take for granted in real life that lack from most if not all games, things that contribute a lot to the atmosphere, like a GPS (I randomly heard some background noise when I first started to play GTA IV, then I kept hearing it on various cars, after about 5 hours I noticed...what the...a friggin GPS, that's so common, how come more games don't add these things), I personally consider that R*s trademark, extremely small details that make a believable environment and fantastic atmosphere and of course, the overall details, making hundreds if not thousands of unique textures and building models, they're the only ones so far that work hard enough to pretty much completely eliminate the copy paste effect.
Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

DanielDust

Been a while since I fully agreed with everything you said, R* always takes everything to the next level in terms of immersion and detail, GTA IV might be smaller in size compared to SA, but as with every game R* releases, it has overall way more detail, making IV highly compressed, filled with details, with unique things to explore around every single corner and as you mentioned, integrating certain uses for the phone and other things that you take for granted in real life that lack from most if not all games, things that contribute a lot to the atmosphere, like a GPS (I randomly heard some background noise when I first started to play GTA IV, then I kept hearing it on various cars, after about 5 hours I noticed...what the...a friggin GPS, that's so common, how come more games don't add these things), I personally consider that R*s trademark, extremely small details that make a believable environment and fantastic atmosphere and of course, the overall details, making hundreds if not thousands of unique textures and building models, they're the only ones so far that work hard enough to pretty much completely eliminate the copy paste effect.

Same detail goes into the pedestrian models too, there are hundreds of them with many variations; hats, glasses, different clothes that are randomized, making the pedestrian never seem quite the same.

It's also insane how much lines they recorded for IV, every pedestrian has hundreds of lines and even after playing the game for four years I still hear ones I never noticed before.

Then there's also the physics; The dynamic deformation of the vehicle models for example, which is just incredible for an open world sandbox game, most racing games don't even have this. Euphoria ragdoll engine is also far ahead of anything out there, it's not quite perfect in IV, they tweaked it for RDR and Max Payne 3, but it's definitely ahead of anything in the genre.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust

Yep, pedestrians are what make the city extremely alive, a lot of them having their own daily routines (talking on the phone, jogging near or in the park, sitting on benches discussing with other AIs, fighting, having an argument, etc), independent from the ones that only walk around aimlessly (other games simply have a zerg of peds walking and waiting to be hit by cars), the food stands also add to it, with vendors shouting hotdogs and such on the streets, or near restaurants employees having a smoke in the back or playing games and many other examples, even the ones driving have lots of variations, I love when somebody causes an accident and if a police car is near they start chasing that car, random traffic accidents, etc, a lot of work went into those.

What I felt lacking (the GTA series in general) and I'm surprised somebody else beat them to it, tho I also respect these devs for what they accomplish with their open world games, Ubisoft and their snow in AC 3, that's what I always though R* would be the first to implement, hopefully they include such a feature in a sequel, with even more detail and complexity.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

When it comes to missions,SA>IV.

When it comes to environments and story,IV>SA.

BoGT combines the best from both and is the best gta made till date.I hope 5 will be like BoGT and not IV.

iorya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 iorya
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

I hope it will be more in the style of San Andreas regarding features and freedom.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Vice City

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#20 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I've always enjoyed GTA IV. The city is full of life. You could just walk down a street and see a cop randomly arresting and chasing after a suspect, or someone getting hit by a car because the AI are idiots and thats the way R* actually wants to portray them.

San Andreas was great too, having a lot of rpg elements added to it. It was fun cycling from home to the gym, beat up someone on the way to show your manliness then grab some fast food.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Vice City

Darth_Kane

this

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Going back to San Andreas feels off to me now, the simplicity of the cities, the weak physics, the bad animations... Even the story feels stupid now with all that gangsta crap. The missions are more varied, thats true, but many of them are badly designed and I didn't enjoy them.

I loved it back when it came out in 2004, but I think it hasn't aged that well. GTA IV is just superior in many ways, and GTA V will make even the most nostalgic gamers forget about GTA SA.

Ben-Buja

I don't mind those issues, i put my mindstate to the release of the game and just enjoy it for what it is. Graphical mods alleviate the situation aswell. But i can see one being frustrated.

C'mon now. That gangsta crap isn't any different than that italian mafioso crap. The story was actually pretty good, they nailed that early 90s black community atmosphere, it actually began to feel nostalgic playing that game. Up until a point a quarter into the game. Wen it reached that point, it became ridiculously stupid.

I agree on your last point. GTA V will surpass San Andreas's reputation of being the GOAT of GTAs, and it'll surpass GTA IV.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust

I just hope GTA V's cities will be just as condensed as GTA IV and the country areas filled with lots of details not like the LV island in GTA SA where you only had the city, an airfield, small canyon with some trailers and an army base, since the size of the map sounds outrageous.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#24 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

GTA 4 was better, Vice City was best

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#25 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

gta SA all day long

gta 4 was cool but it got old fast.

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts
GTAIV was better in the atmosphere of the city and "realism", GTASA for everything else
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

I had alotmore funin GTA San Andreas 

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts
While GTA IV may have better writing, the story did not compel me. It just wasn't as fun as San Andreas.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

I really prefferd GTA IV, I felt San Andreas tried to do too many things and ended up missing the mark on a lot of them. GTA easily takes charecters, story and setting IMO

And Vice City was better than both (so was Saints Row 3 ) 

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

GTA IV, I have never played a game with such enjoyment, Euphoria does half of the stuff to satisfy you,
GTA V will be the combination of GTA IV and GTA SA making it the best GTA to date. 

dreamerdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dreamerdonkey

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Ben-Buja

Same detail goes into the pedestrian models too, there are hundreds of them with many variations; hats, glasses, different clothes that are randomized, making the pedestrian never seem quite the same.

It's also insane how much lines they recorded for IV, every pedestrian has hundreds of lines and even after playing the game for four years I still hear ones I never noticed before.

Then there's also the physics; The dynamic deformation of the vehicle models for example, which is just incredible for an open world sandbox game, most racing games don't even have this. Euphoria ragdoll engine is also far ahead of anything out there, it's not quite perfect in IV, they tweaked it for RDR and Max Payne 3, but it's definitely ahead of anything in the genre.

I just want to mention one thing that you guise all forgot. GTA IV was released after 4 years of GTA SA. So R* is able to completely change the game engine and the result was tremendous. So you can't logically compare the look of those two game. New game always have better look and better atmosphere but you have to admit that the old version still is a competition of the new version and that's why I still think GTA SA is much more appealing than GTA IV by its own way
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust
I never liked SA because of the atmosphere and frankly I don't know who would, I appreciate it for what it actually offers, size and diversity, there's no way somebody would value SA's atmosphere after the most atmospheric older GTA title which is VC.