Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor insane PC requirements!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

You thought Watch Dogs was bad? Check this out:

• Minimum:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 | AMD Radeon HD 6950
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
  • Recommended:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 | AMD Radeon HD 7970
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Hard Drive: 40 GB available space

Sounds really crazy.It looks good but... i dunno. It runs on the Monolith's in-house engine LithTech. Check out some early in-game footage here:

Anyone interested in this game?

EDIT: SOURCE for requirements. You can also see them on the game's Steam page.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Looks interesting

spahi95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 spahi95
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

This seems to be a good game.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 | AMD Radeon HD 6950

Those aren't much weaker than the ps4's gpu. I wonder if they're being cautious with the minimum requirements or if this is just poorly optimized; it doesn't look all that impressive.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Those min specs look like a 3 year old mid-range system to me. Either way it is likely to be console port shit so who cares.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Those specs aren't insane at all. The requirements are Intel and AMD's first real quad core processor and a 3 year old mid-range GPU.

Now that the next gen consoles are out games are actually being developed for quad core processors. Until the i5-750 Intel's quad core offering was just 2 dual core processors slapped together. The i5-750 came out in 2009, it's not a new processor.

As for the GPU the Nvidia GTX 500 line is their first real high performing DX11 series of cards. Now that games are going to be standard in DX11 they are actually going to utilize stuff like multithreading and tessellations. The GTX 500 series was the first series from Nvidia with decent tessellation performance as well.

Overall these are the specs that I was expecting to see when devs finally stopped developing for the PS3/360 and started using more modern renderers and modern techniques. The "low" settings are going to look pretty damn good I think. Games don't need to support 4+ year old GPUs.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Fucking consoles with their shitty APU's forcing CPU heavy games on all of the PC generation. I'm fine I own an i7 3770k but the fact I even need it for recommended settings is absurd. I purchased the damn thing thinking I was buying more then necessary I guess I was wrong. Instead of using my beefy GPU they'll just slap it all on my CPU, **** should have gotten something a little faster then the 3770k. I was hoping my CPU wouldn't be on a recommended spec for at least two years.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

Fucking consoles with their shitty APU's forcing CPU heavy games on all of the PC generation. I'm fine I own an i7 3770k but the fact I even need it for recommended settings is absurd. I purchased the damn thing thinking I was buying more then necessary I guess I was wrong. Instead of using my beefy GPU they'll just slap it all on my CPU, **** should have gotten something a little faster then the 3770k. I was hoping my CPU wouldn't be on a recommended spec for at least two years.

You do realise the console CPUs are terrible right?

I really doubt this game will need an i7, I'm assuming like most games they'll be no difference between the i7 and an i5.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

What I was getting at is dev aren't taking the time to optimize beyond what they are doing for consoles 8 core setup. It shows as their are staggering amounts of CPU's that are far better then what are in consoles but for some reason I need a high end 300 dollar i7 for the recommended specs.. It doesn't really make to much sense now does it.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

What I was getting at is dev aren't taking the time to optimize beyond what they are doing for consoles 8 core setup. It shows as their are staggering amounts of CPU's that are far better then what are in consoles but for some reason I need a high end 300 dollar i7 for the recommended specs.. It doesn't really make to much sense now does it.

You realize that the PC assets and settings will most likely be beyond what the consoles can do. people with 780's wouldnt be normally pairing it with an AMD modern quad or six core nor would be using an 5 year old intel/AMD cpu's.

also note that the games on the consoles only have 6 cores for the games and are only clocked below 1.8ghz meaning their performance is below any quad core cpu made in the last 6 years.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#12 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
@groowagon said:

why does it need a broadband connection? I thought this was a single player game? or is it an mmo?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@ribstaylor1: The hell are you talking about? I just explained in this thread that they need Intel and AMD's first real quad core processor. They just recommend very powerful CPUs. Recommendations are just that, recommendations. They don't carry much weight. All you need to do is look at the requirement. A 5 year old CPU is not a high requirement.

They are optimizing for multiple cores. Games run better in parallel. Single core performance doesn't matter as much. Now devs are finally utilizing more than 1 core and you're bitching about it. I don't think you understand what you're saying.

This has nothing to do with the consoles.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

So i guess mr 955 cant run this? The requirments are pretty insane.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

relax

just get the e5-2697