Microsoft Surface RT - Anyone have it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

If someone has the Surface RT, could you please respond or send me a PM, just need someone to test something for me.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

People actually bought those?

#3 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

GummiRaccoon
Good old Gummi, always the negative. FYI its actually doing well. Already sold out in Canada and UK.
#4 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

FelipeInside

Good old Gummi, always the negative. FYI its actually doing well. Already sold out in Canada and UK.

Selling out doesn't mean it is selling well

#5 Posted by Junsei (691 posts) -
I have it i posted a few pics in this thread http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29309531/any-smartglass-impressions ill give out more impressions, likes and dislikes if anyone is interested
#6 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

Selling out doesn't mean it is selling well

Really? I thought selling was selling. And when the orders are more than the stock in a whole country, I would say that's pretty good.
#7 Posted by Yagnav (6107 posts) -

Yea its doing well all over, but dang you should wait for the pro version.

But your cause is lost, I sense an itchy trigger finger Felipe :D

#8 Posted by LordRork (2690 posts) -

Yagnav

That's going to be ridiculously expensive based on the price of the RT version. Nice though it looks, I'm sticking to laptops.

#9 Posted by Yagnav (6107 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yagnav"]

LordRork

That's going to be ridiculously expensive based on the price of the RT version. Nice though it looks, I'm sticking to laptops.

Yea but I think it's more aimed at netbook users, since they want portability the most. Might just impress some of the casual gaming crowd. But i can definitely see it very popular with office goers and wall street types.
#10 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

But your cause is lost, I sense an itchy trigger finger Felipe :D

Yagnav
It's not that. I just want to use it for Internet Browsing, Facebook and Email really. Just to sit on the couch watching TV and basically write on these forums, check my emails and write on facebook, so the Pro Version is a bit of an overkill for MY use. I think the Pro version will be about $500 more expensive anyway, and if I'm not going to use it why spend the money. I just wanted to know if FARMVILLE 2 works on it, since it's mostly a present for my GF and she plays a lot of Facebook Flash Games.
#11 Posted by Byshop (11066 posts) -

There are three main categories of Windows tablet:

1. There are the ARM based RT tablets which, while cool, are running a relatively new OS and are at the mercy of that OSes app store. However, they have the same advantages of every other tablet such as long battery life, lightweight and thin form factor.
  2. Then there are the "Pro" tablets like the Surface Pro. These are i3/5/7 based units that run full blown Windows 8. These are awesome powerhouses that'll do anything you want except play games that require descrete GPUs. The downside of these units is they are less tablets and more Ultrabooks. Their battery life, while very decent for an Ultrabook-style laptop, is significantly less than the ARM based tablets. They also tend to be thicker, heavier and some even have active cooling (fan vents). This are basically very small form factor laptops, so I don't know how comfortable they would be to use as an e-reader or portable browser.
  3. Then there is the third category that splits the difference. Intel has a new, faster Atom CPU that's also x86 compatible that also gets great battery life. Nowhere near as fast as an i5 but it can run full Windows 8 and has the form factor and battery life of an ARM unit. More expensive (around 600-800 depending on model/accessories) than and ARM though.

I shopped around and got the Samsung Ativ Smart PC. It's an Atom CPU and ships with full Windows 8. So to answer your question, no I don't techincally have an RT tablet but instead I have a tablet that'll do everything an RT tablet will do so I may be able to answer any questions you have or give my impressions. So far, RT is a little light in the app store. Also many of the games that have been ported over don't run particularly well in RT, even on the Tegra 3 chipset based RT units. Remote Desktop, Kindle, Netflix, etc all run pretty well in RT plus it lets you do actual multitasking with the snap feature.

-Byshop

#12 Posted by Byshop (11066 posts) -

It's not that. I just want to use it for Internet Browsing, Facebook and Email really. Just to sit on the couch watching TV and basically write on these forums, check my emails and write on facebook, so the Pro Version is a bit of an overkill for MY use. I think the Pro version will be about $500 more expensive anyway, and if I'm not going to use it why spend the money. I just wanted to know if FARMVILLE 2 works on it, since it's mostly a present for my GF and she plays a lot of Facebook Flash Games.FelipeInside

The Pro will also probably get about half the battery life. If that turns out to not be the case, I'm selling my Samsung tablet and getting a Surface Pro.

-Byshop

#13 Posted by JohnF111 (14047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yagnav"]

LordRork

The Pro seems aimed more at business users who see the value of Office, but yeah it costs a bit too much for me to consider it a viable alternative to laptops. Heard the keyboards were getting a bit of backslash for some reason. It does seem a bit too flimsy.
#14 Posted by nosferatu (4292 posts) -

I picked up a Surface RT mostly for the reasons Felipe was thinking of one (though mine have some work implications). Our electronic medical record is Explorer based and so Chrome and Safari work OK, but have some definite compatibility issues with it (I've tried both of the other tablet formats and own a day 1 release Xoom). I have been VERY happy with my Surface so far. I does everything I want it to (though Flash on some websites only works through the desktop version of IE) and it handles it well. There are some apps I am "missing", but they will come.

My 1 complaint is that my original surface had a weird hardware occurrence where the magnets were strong enough that when I pulled off the keyboard it ripped the magnets from the tablet itself and took a lining of the tablet with it. They replaced it no hassle. I'm used to being an early adopter and there being issues so it's not a huge deal (so long as it doesn't happen again).

The difference between a Surface and the other tablets is that I feel it mostly lives up to its desire to be for both work and play whilst the other 2 excel in just play. Yes, at the moment you are mostly getting it for its interface and a fancy accessory (the keyboard), but I think it has the most potential of the 3 main platforms out at the moment.

#15 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
@Byshop: thanks for the info. I'll look into that Samsung but I've had bad experiences with them before so a bit cautious. @John: I used both surface keyboards and they are fine. The thing is one of them is touch so people aren't used to that and think its bad. @Nosferatu: thanks for the review. Is there any chance U could test if Farmville 2 works on the Surface? I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.
#16 Posted by JohnF111 (14047 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]@Byshop: thanks for the info. I'll look into that Samsung but I've had bad experiences with them before so a bit cautious. @John: I used both surface keyboards and they are fine. The thing is one of them is touch so people aren't used to that and think its bad. @Nosferatu: thanks for the review. Is there any chance U could test if Farmville 2 works on the Surface? I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

I see... Well that does sound reasonable for people to complain about something new or different.
#17 Posted by Byshop (11066 posts) -

The Surface RT is a solid piece of hardware. Very well made, but the feel of the keyboard is off-putting for some people. The keys don't depress when you type, so it's essentially a touch keyboard. Also, it's a bit pricey for an ARM tablet at $500. The Atom based Samsung I picked up is awesome and I'll probably do a video review of it this weekend to go over its gaming capabilities. I can play -some- 2d and simple 3d games like Sam and Max plus most point and click games like Monkey Island, Broken Sword, etc. Bastion runs slow, as does Limbo.

-Byshop

#18 Posted by nosferatu (4292 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]@Byshop: thanks for the info. I'll look into that Samsung but I've had bad experiences with them before so a bit cautious. @John: I used both surface keyboards and they are fine. The thing is one of them is touch so people aren't used to that and think its bad. @Nosferatu: thanks for the review. Is there any chance U could test if Farmville 2 works on the Surface? I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

I don't do Facebook (find it weird and creepy) so I can't test it, but my assumption is that the games are probably flash or java based and would therefore work just fine. The touch keyboard takes about 10-15 mins to get used to and you will probably never be as efficient on it as a normal keyboard since you can feel your way through it and there is no tactile feedback that a key is pressed. HOWEVER, you can get very close to your max typing speed after a short amount of usage. I am able to write notes while talking to people without a problem whatsoever and keep pace. I find myself watching my typing a little bit more than usual, but that's not a huge deal breaker.
#19 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
[QUOTE="nosferatu"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]@Byshop: thanks for the info. I'll look into that Samsung but I've had bad experiences with them before so a bit cautious. @John: I used both surface keyboards and they are fine. The thing is one of them is touch so people aren't used to that and think its bad. @Nosferatu: thanks for the review. Is there any chance U could test if Farmville 2 works on the Surface? I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

I don't do Facebook (find it weird and creepy) so I can't test it, but my assumption is that the games are probably flash or java based and would therefore work just fine. The touch keyboard takes about 10-15 mins to get used to and you will probably never be as efficient on it as a normal keyboard since you can feel your way through it and there is no tactile feedback that a key is pressed. HOWEVER, you can get very close to your max typing speed after a short amount of usage. I am able to write notes while talking to people without a problem whatsoever and keep pace. I find myself watching my typing a little bit more than usual, but that's not a huge deal breaker.

Thanks Nosferatu. Is there a chance you have someone you know that has Facebook and can log in with their account? It's just that I keep getting mixed messages. For example I rang the Microsoft Store and asked them about FLASH and FARMVILLE and they said it should work fine, since the Surface RT has full Flash and HTML5. Then I read an article on the net that you need to sort of "hack" Windows 8 RT to get Flash working. Then another webpage (which does Windows Reviews) said that Farmville doesn't work on the Surface. Only sure way for me to know is basically for someone that has one to just test it.... takes 5 minutes.
#20 Posted by nosferatu (4292 posts) -

The confusion may stem from the fact that there are 2 versions of Explorer on the tablet. There is a "Desktop" IE and a Metro (Win Phone/Zune/8 format) IE. The Metro IE launched from the tiles has a "curated" integration of Flash (essentially meaning that MS has to approve the website's use of Flash). Considering MS has a strong financial interest in Facebook, my gut feel says that Flash is enabled. Even if it were not, the Desktop IE will run Flash on any webpage you want to. The Surface is more than powerful enough to run Farmville considering I can have it multitask watching an HD Netflix movie with a docked messenger client.

I would be stunned if Farmville was a crippling thing for it ;)

#21 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

The confusion may stem from the fact that there are 2 versions of Explorer on the tablet. There is a "Desktop" IE and a Metro (Win Phone/Zune/8 format) IE. The Metro IE launched from the tiles has a "curated" integration of Flash (essentially meaning that MS has to approve the website's use of Flash). Considering MS has a strong financial interest in Facebook, my gut feel says that Flash is enabled. Even if it were not, the Desktop IE will run Flash on any webpage you want to. The Surface is more than powerful enough to run Farmville considering I can have it multitask watching an HD Netflix movie with a docked messenger client.

I would be stunned if Farmville was a crippling thing for it ;)

nosferatu
Yeah, that's what I thought too. The Metro IE might have issues, but the desktop IE should do run it fine. I just don't want to fork out $700 on the Surface if it's not going to do the basic things I need it to do (well, my GF wants the Facebook Games mostly). Would be nice if I could at least come across a video or article somewhere.
#22 Posted by Byshop (11066 posts) -

You can test it yourself if you have Win 8 installed. The Metro UI version of IE should function the same as the RT Metro UI version. Otherwise, go with an Atom tablet and guarantee compatiblity for the same price. If you don't trust Samsung there are other Atom based units just around the corner.

-Byshop

#23 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

You can test it yourself if you have Win 8 installed. The Metro UI version of IE should function the same as the RT Metro UI version. Otherwise, go with an Atom tablet and guarantee compatiblity for the same price. If you don't trust Samsung there are other Atom based units just around the corner.

-Byshop

Byshop
No, I just have Windows 7. I've also heard that IE10 Metro on RT is different from the PRO? Could be I just read that wrong. Not that I don't trust Samsung, I've been looking at that tablet u suggested, looks nice, and I understand any Atom Processor tablet (even laptop) would do the job. I was just really interested in the Surface, that's all.
#24 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
Byshop Could U give me a quick pros and cons and the model of your Samsung tablet please? Thanks. No idea where to get one either here in Aus.
#25 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

If someone has the Surface RT, could you please respond or send me a PM, just need someone to test something for me.

Thanks.

FelipeInside

sunspider.png

PS; My tablet scores 751 ms.

#26 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
^^ what is ur point with that graph?
#27 Posted by darksusperia (6898 posts) -
^^ what is ur point with that graph?FelipeInside
I was wondering the same thing....
#28 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

^^ what is ur point with that graph?FelipeInside
MS Surface RT's jscript benchmark.

#29 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ what is ur point with that graph?ronvalencia

MS Surface RT's jscript benchmark.

Ok, thanks I guess??? I still don't get ur point sorry.
#30 Posted by Byshop (11066 posts) -

Byshop Could U give me a quick pros and cons and the model of your Samsung tablet please? Thanks. No idea where to get one either here in Aus.FelipeInside

Pros:

• Intel's new much faster Atom CPU that's x86 compatible and can run full Windows. Comes with Windows 8 but can be upped to Pro with a key. Full Windows means can run anything that it's fast enough or has enough ram to handle. So far all productivity apps I've tried work. I have full Office 2013 installed and I can run Onenote, Outlook, Excel, and Lync at the same time with no issue.
  • Weight and size is comparable to a normal droid/ios/win RT tablet (Atom version is 1.68 lbs)
  • Battery life is on par with a droid/ios/Win RT tablet (I've been using mine literally all day for notes in meetings. Active non-game usage seems to eat teh battery about about 6 minutes per 1% or 10% an hour or 10 hours total life. MUCH better than one of the i3/i5/i7 tablets which will get less than half that.
  • One USB port, one Micro HDMI port, one micro SD card slot

Cons:

• Slower than a traditional x86 platform device
  • 11.6" widescreen form factor may be a bit wide for some people
  • Not 1080p (1366x768)
  • Not as bright as the crazy bright models of the Transformer (this runs at 400nits)
  • Keyboard dock does not contain and additional battery like the Asus units
  • Driver support is weak right now, particularly for video. 1080p hardware accelerated playback is supported by the chipset but is software decoded for most formats right now which eats a lot of CPU. 720p is also software decided right now but the CPU is fast enough to handle it with no frame droppage in a player like VLC. Games that use full screen panning play unacceptibly slow such as Limbo. Even a lot of RT games that claim compatibilit with ARM tablets run slow. Both of these situations will likely improve with driver updates. Also sometimes the S-pen doesn't work after hibernation which requires a reboot or restart of the affected service.
  • No USB 3.0 support (not supported by the chipset)
  • Only one USB 2.0 port on the deivce itself (the keyboard adds two more)
  • No SATA controller like the i3/i5/i7 units so SSD data transfer rates will top out around 15MB per second. Storage is essentially flash media rather than true SSD.
  • Full Windows is a bit big for a 64GB storage volume
  • S-pen when fully inserted into the slot can be stupidly stiff. While this means you won't lose it, I've actually scratched the pen trying to remove it.

While the above cons list is longer than the pros list (and I'm not even touching the pros/cons of Windows 8, just the device itself and how it's supported) let me be clear that I love this tablet. As a replacement for a laptop, it's piss poor. While the new Atom is fast it doesn't compare to a modern laptop. However, if your usage is light then it's a non-issue. Ever since I first bought an ipad 1 about 2-3 years ago I lamented the fact that literally everything I wanted to do I had to find an app in the iOS store (or other places) that let me do what I could already do on a PC. Remote Desktop, direct file transfer, printing, reading comics, movie playback, etc all required specific new apps, transcoding or in some cases just weren't possible. With this device not only do I get all the back, but it's true Windows so I can multitask everything. The wide screen lets me watch a video on the left half while I read IE on the other half. The Atom CPU is no speed demon and has to SATA support, but the OS cold boots in seconds anyway (much faster than my iPad boots) and while overall video driver support is weak right now natively supported apps like IE, Word, Excel, Explorer all scroll smooth as silk.

-Byshop

#31 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
Great review Byshop thanks. You mentioned another thing I forgot that I am interested in doing as well.....reading comics. I believe the Marvel Digital Comics is also flash based (or could be HTML5). My local stores now have the Asus Windows 8 RT Tablets, I might go and have a play with Windows RT to see if it does Comics and Farmville.
#32 Posted by Byshop (11066 posts) -

Great review Byshop thanks. You mentioned another thing I forgot that I am interested in doing as well.....reading comics. I believe the Marvel Digital Comics is also flash based (or could be HTML5). My local stores now have the Asus Windows 8 RT Tablets, I might go and have a play with Windows RT to see if it does Comics and Farmville.FelipeInside

IE in RT (and the Metro IE in Windows 8) runs in a completely encapsulated app space. Add ons, plugins, etc don't work. Full Windows lets you do whatever you want so farmville and Marvel Digital Comics are guaranteed to work provided they work on a normal PC.

Metro IE runs flash but not activeX. Even the flash support requires you "whitelist" pages you trust.

Even if there isn't an app on RT for something, if that something works in a browser then you are fine with the Samsung.

Oh, one more con: It's barely actually out. Finding the device (and any accessories for it like the keyboard dock) is damned near impossible. AT&T is selling their 3g model of it that has NFC and GPS. The Wifi version lacks both of these features.

-Byshop

#33 Posted by heathcseattle (1 posts) -
I have the Surface RT. I've tried playing Farmville 2 using both the "metro" IE and the desktop IE and in both cases, all I get is the Farmville 2 start screen, with the green status bar at the bottom filled to the half way mark, and that's it. It never moves past that screen, even after 10 minutes or so of waiting.
#34 Posted by darksusperia (6898 posts) -
I have the Surface RT. I've tried playing Farmville 2 using both the "metro" IE and the desktop IE and in both cases, all I get is the Farmville 2 start screen, with the green status bar at the bottom filled to the half way mark, and that's it. It never moves past that screen, even after 10 minutes or so of waiting. heathcseattle
lies, it works just fine.
#35 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

microsoft actually ripped off this idea of a detachable keyboard/tablet from ASUS. Asus has had the transformer out for 3 years now. The RT version is pointless, you might as well get a regular tablet. The Pro and the atom version makes more sense but then again you can get cheaper ultrabooks. So the surface is a confused tablet/laptop.

#36 Posted by darksusperia (6898 posts) -

microsoft actually ripped off this idea of a detachable keyboard/tablet from ASUS. Asus has had the transformer out for 3 years now. The RT version is pointless, you might as well get a regular tablet. The Pro and the atom version makes more sense but then again you can get cheaper ultrabooks. So the surface is a confused tablet/laptop.

blaznwiipspman1
I had a regular tablet (acer Iconia tab A500 (ICS)), the missus has an Ipad. I got the surface RT which IMO is better then both formers mentioned.
#37 Posted by Bangerman15 (1976 posts) -
[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

darksusperia
I had a regular tablet (acer Iconia tab A500 (ICS)), the missus has an Ipad. I got the surface RT which IMO is better then both formers mentioned.

They ripped off asus? more like made the whole detachable keyboard idea way better. I agree the surface from what I have used of it, is better imo.. still waiting on the pro though
#38 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

Bangerman15

They ripped off asus? more like made the whole detachable keyboard idea way better. I agree the surface from what I have used of it, is better imo.. still waiting on the pro though

ASUS-TransformerPad_Infinity_700.jpg

in what way is the detachable keyboard from microsoft better than the detachable keyboard from ASUS? In fact the ASUS keyboard is superior id say since it effectively doubles the battery life of the tablet. I think the asus transformer tablet is even thinner than the microsoft surface, plus it has a resolution of 1080p on a 10 inch screen.

http://www.asus.com/Tablet/ASUS_Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/

The only real difference is the OS, but windows 8 OS can run on the transformer either way, not that it matters since windows 8 blows (right now).

#39 Posted by jhcho2 (4372 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

FelipeInside

Actually, according to 'official figures' from NPD, the market capitalization of Surface Tablets are less than singular percentile. ie. less than 1%.

It tanked so hard that Microsoft decided to let it be sold at Best Buy. Initially, it was supposed to just be available at Microsoft stores.

#40 Posted by jhcho2 (4372 posts) -

[QUOTE="heathcseattle"]I have the Surface RT. I've tried playing Farmville 2 using both the "metro" IE and the desktop IE and in both cases, all I get is the Farmville 2 start screen, with the green status bar at the bottom filled to the half way mark, and that's it. It never moves past that screen, even after 10 minutes or so of waiting. darksusperia

"It works for me." argument FTL.

#41 Posted by darksusperia (6898 posts) -

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="heathcseattle"]I have the Surface RT. I've tried playing Farmville 2 using both the "metro" IE and the desktop IE and in both cases, all I get is the Farmville 2 start screen, with the green status bar at the bottom filled to the half way mark, and that's it. It never moves past that screen, even after 10 minutes or so of waiting. jhcho2

"It works for me." argument FTL.

it works on the tablet. straight out of the box. If its stuck loading half way then its his internet connection. It loaded in less then 30 secs when I tested directly for Felipe after I unboxed it.
#42 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

You could always get an android tablet and sideload flash.

#43 Posted by Byshop (11066 posts) -

in what way is the detachable keyboard from microsoft better than the detachable keyboard from ASUS? In fact the ASUS keyboard is superior id say since it effectively doubles the battery life of the tablet. I think the asus transformer tablet is even thinner than the microsoft surface, plus it has a resolution of 1080p on a 10 inch screen.

http://www.asus.com/Tablet/ASUS_Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/

The only real difference is the OS, but windows 8 OS can run on the transformer either way, not that it matters since windows 8 blows (right now).

blaznwiipspman1

Since Windows 8 runs everything Windows 7 does plus more, it doesn't "blow". RT is the version of Windows that is unfortunately limited by the content of the Microsoft App store or custom app stores.

-Byshop