Microsoft Office vs Use the free versions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I'm a student right now, so i can buy Microsoft Office for a discounted price, $40, for the most updated version. Is it worth it to buy Microsoft Office, or should i just save money and use the free legal word processors out there? There is another thing to consider, that there are computers at my school that have Word, so it might be a waste of money since i could use Word there. But school closes early on friday and is closed saturday and sunday, and also closed on certain holidays. What do you people think? What should i do?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@hydralisk86: I have been using OpenOffice for years and never had any issues. You can also use the MS document formats as well.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Libre/Open Office works great. My only gripe is Microsoft-centeric: it's still an MS-Office world and *sometimes* formatting from Libre doesn't carry over perfectly when someone with true MS Office opens something. Spreadsheet stuff (graphs, etc) seem more finicky than Word. So - it's somewhat tricky in the professional world where, for example, grants have VERY (RIDICULOUSLY) strict formatting and font guidelines and the open-source Offices just don't cut it. Also, if you use citation-management software - like Mendeley - my experience is that it works just as well in Libre/Open, but can't be used in MS Office. That is, god forbid you want to continue your research paper on a different machine with MS Office. You're stuck because really weird stuff can happen with the in-text citations than can set you back bigtime.

TLDR: if you're writing and submitting homework assignments, you probably don't need to pay for MS Office. But it's still not 100% avoidable in the working world (at least in some professions)

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

I believe MS offers Office 365 for free if you're a student. You can Google "free ms office for students" or check the following link:

https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

From what I understand, so long as you have a valid @.edu email address, you can pretty much download it for free.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Microsoft Office in undoubtedly better then the free versions. That isn't to say that the free versions won't get the job done and do it just as well. They just aren't quite a polished and the formatting can sometimes be a little fidgety. For $40 I would definitely pick up a copy of office.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I'd get office, it's just less of a hassle than dealing with other solutions.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you want to stick with MS Office for free, you can use the web browser-based versions of Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. You do need to sign in with a MS account though.

For the alternatives, I'd use Libre Office. I like to wrap text around my images, graphs, and charts when using MS Office. Only Libre Office seems to get the formatting right.

Personally, I also prefer to have the full offline version of MS Office and not have to worry.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@hydralisk86 said:

I'm a student right now, so i can buy Microsoft Office for a discounted price, $40, for the most updated version. Is it worth it to buy Microsoft Office, or should i just save money and use the free legal word processors out there? There is another thing to consider, that there are computers at my school that have Word, so it might be a waste of money since i could use Word there. But school closes early on friday and is closed saturday and sunday, and also closed on certain holidays. What do you people think? What should i do?

For $40 of course go Office.

Leeuwenhok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Leeuwenhok
Member since 2015 • 155 Posts

OpenOffice is pretty good. I used it for 2 years. Just be sure to save the documents in the MS Office formats, or else they may not be exactly compatible with MS Office at your school's PCs or anywhere else.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

recently started using open office and its great for what I ask of it

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

openOffice is great. But if you can get Microsoft Office for $40 you should definitely do it. There will be no compatibility issues at all if you just use the business standard which is Microsoft.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

@hydralisk86: You can also get the university version which is 79.99 and it will last you 4 years.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

If you only want Word then go with Open Office. Want to use Powerpoint? Stay far away from the crappy Open Office version. It's complete shit.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@nethernova: it works fine but the formatting is absolutely wonkered when going to or from MS ppt. Word is really the only one that's got OK compatibility with formatting (as noted above, I still can't count on it for very strict professional guidelines - margins, line spacing, etc aren't always quite right when loaded in another program).