Microsoft Illumiroom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

The technology is obviously very cool, and seems awesome. But, do you guys think that Microsoft will hoarde the illumiroom technology for Xbox only, or do you guys think it will be on PC as well? 

As a PC gamer, I'd like to have something like this without having to play on a stupid Xbox. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NrCkon1QG4 Illumiroom video. 

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
I know quite a few people that think its a stupid idea. I think its really cool though, I had even thought of something similar back when I was younger and was talking with friends about what we thought the future would be like :P So yeah, I hope something like it comes to the PC at some point.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I know quite a few people that think its a stupid idea.  Will47

You can count me as one of those people.  Next to motion controls and touch screen gaming, this is one of the more pointless ideas I've seen in some time.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Never heard of it. Checked out the video and doesn't personally seem interesting. Kinda gimmicky. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Will47"]I know quite a few people that think its a stupid idea.  -wildflower-

You can count me as one of those people.  Next to motion controls and touch screen gaming, this is one of the more pointless ideas I've seen in some time.

Here we go again: - What's wrong with motion gaming? it's just another "controller" (your body), and also keeps you fit. - What's wrong with Touch Screen gaming? Plants vs Zombies is one of the best (if not THE best) Tower Defense games and it plays perfectly with a Touch Screen - What's wrong with this? (and no, I'm not defending MS). Yes it's a gimmick, but a fun one at that.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -wildflower-

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="Will47"]I know quite a few people that think its a stupid idea.  FelipeInside

Here we go again: - What's wrong with motion gaming? it's just another "controller" (your body), and also keeps you fit. - What's wrong with Touch Screen gaming? Plants vs Zombies is one of the best (if not THE best) Tower Defense games and it plays perfectly with a Touch Screen - What's wrong with this? (and no, I'm not defending MS). Yes it's a gimmick, but a fun one at that.

Because I don't need these superfluous gimmicks to "enhance" my gaming experience.  

I don't own and will never own any touch screen devices.  Sorry, playing Angry Birds or whatever just doesn't interest me in the slightest and Plants Vs. Zombies works just fine with my  M/KB.  I also have no desire to flap my arms around like an idiot while playing games so, yeah, motion controls are out, too.  If I want exercise I *gasp* go outside.

I never owned a Power Glove either.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

-wildflower-

Because I don't need these superfluous gimmicks to "enhance" my gaming experience.  

I don't own and will never own any touch screen devices.  Sorry, playing Angry Birds or whatever just doesn't interest me in the slightest and Plants Vs. Zombies works just fine with my  M/KB.  I also have no desire to flap my arms around like an idiot while playing games so, yeah, motion controls are out, too.  If I want exercise I *gasp* go outside.

Keywords in Red.

Doesn't mean people who DO like it are Idiots or that they are not gaming "controllers" or "enhancers".

And what's this "will never own any touch screen devices".  Never say Never.  What's wrong with a touch screen device?

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Amazing idea really, surprised it's coming from microsoft. Really hope this makes it to the PC world.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Illumiroom: thumbs down.

Oculus Rift: hellz yeah.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

its a gimmick sure. It requires kinect to even work to map the room.

That said you probably wont see it on the pc (unless some modder works it ).

I think its more of a way to bring a triple screen experience to the xbox without requiring 3 xbox's/copy of the same game. (granted it wont be clear, but it does extended the "world" past your initial screen given that extra peripheral vision type effect). I dont think that works (current xbox triple screen) with many games other then forza to be honest though.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -wildflower-

Keywords in Red.

Doesn't mean people who DO like it are Idiots or that they are not gaming "controllers" or "enhancers".

And what's this "will never own any touch screen devices".  Never say Never.  What's wrong with a touch screen device?

FelipeInside

I never said they were idiots.  I said, I wouldn't want to look like an idiot flapping my arms around while gaming.  BIG difference.

And, yeah, I'm pretty confident that I will never own a touch screen device.  I don't text, I don't do Facebook, or Tweets, and I don't need to be wired into the matrix 24/7.  Hell, I don't even own a mobile phone.   My life just is not that important that I need to be connected and available at all times of the day. Unlike most people I'm under no delusions that I'm in any way special or necessary.  

If somebody needs to get in touch with me they can call me at home and if I'm out, leave a message.  So far this has worked out pretty well.

At any rate, my mouse, keyboard, and, on rare occasions, a controller have suited me just fine for the past 20+ years.  I see absolutely no compelling reason to change now.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Keywords in Red.

-wildflower-

I never said they were idiots.  I said, I wouldn't want to look like an idiot flapping my arms around while gaming.  BIG difference.

And, yeah, I'm pretty confident that I will never own a touch screen device.  I don't text, I don't do Facebook, or Tweets, and I don't need to be wired into the matrix 24/7.  Hell, I don't even own a mobile phone.   My life just is not that important that I need to be connected and available at all times of the day. Unlike most people I'm under no delusions that I'm in any way special or necessary.  

If somebody needs to get in touch with me they can call me at home and if I'm out, leave a message.  So far this has worked out pretty well.

At any rate, my mouse, keyboard, and, on rare occasions, a controller have suited me just fine for the past 20+ years.  I see absolutely no compelling reason to change now.

So people having fun playing motion games with friends "look" like idiots? Right. I'm sure people getting drunk with friends don't make them look like idiots... As for the rest....well, looks like you don't do much at all really. You should try it one day, a wise man once said: "don't bag it till you try it..."
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Well, if you want illumiroom, you better remove all that furniture and opt for a TV set made out of glass. Don't won't them getting in the way. Gimmicky idea, and it looks distracting. Maybe for cool indie music games I could see that as being trippy-fun, after a few beers, for kicks and giggles.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Who the hell cares how you look when you play something?

What's with the insecurity?

On topic: it's awesome but useless to me. I even play Blu-Rays on my PC with headphones!

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
That was a pretty thick Indian accent and I don't know how well that would work with multiple monitors.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

Who the hell cares how you look when you play something?

What's with the insecurity?

On topic: it's awesome but useless to me. I even play Blu-Rays on my PC with headphones!

Baranga
I agree. People should film themselves playing to see what expressions they do.
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Illumiroom looks about as useful to gamers as setting of fireworks in one's living room.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

Illumiroom looks about as useful to gamers as setting of fireworks in one's living room.

Falconoffury
Its not always about adding something or usefulness.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

If they do even release it, it will be Xbox only for a while at least, but that will be such a limited market that they'll sell it on PC too.

My level of interest is a "hum." It's pretty cool, but no interesting in owning it myself. Kinda like a giant disco ball hanging from your bedroom ceiling.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

If they do even release it, it will be Xbox only for a while at least, but that will be such a limited market that they'll sell it on PC too.

My level of interest is a "hum." It's pretty cool, but no interesting in owning it myself. Kinda like a giant disco ball hanging from your bedroom ceiling.

guynamedbilly
exactly. If I had money to blow, I would buy it for kicks and giggles. It would be a straight-up trip. Lots of fun, crazy nights with a good group of friends. In that sense, I don't see this as a bad thing. An option that can be fun. It's what you make of it.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -wildflower-

So people having fun playing motion games with friends "look" like idiots? Right. I'm sure people getting drunk with friends don't make them look like idiots... As for the rest....well, looks like you don't do much at all really. You should try it one day, a wise man once said: "don't bag it till you try it..."FelipeInside

Again, and I am getting a strong sense of deja vu, I never made any claims for, or about, anyone but myself.  Where did I imply that others would look or feel like idiots?   I didn't.  

But whatever...  You like motion controls and I think they're ridiculous and add nothing of significance to a game.  I don't see what the big deal is, honestly.  We have differing opinions.  Oh my!

And, yeah, drunks (and I include myself in this) typically do look and act like idiots.  It's the nature of inebriation. :D

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft kept this exclusive to the Xbox. If it means more money and profit, Microsoft are always the first to the scene.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Cool Idea, but most of our living rooms are cluttered.

What I think would be a better Idea, is a screen like in the movie (The GAmer) and games to support it, and hardware to run it efficiently.   We still have some time before stuff like that is available at a consumer level.

The O Rift seems to be a little more my ball, between the two.

I doubt PC will get much support for it OP.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#24 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

DUH it's MS product why would they want it come to other game devices?  unless someone wants to pay some nice royalties.

I can see this thing coming to movies theaters or just connect to a T.V if it works right. BE the new 3D lol

well it might come for pc. look at kinect (sorta different product) but they  WANTED people to (hack) it and do things with it

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#25 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

-wildflower-

lol open your closed minded brain of yours....
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

DUH it's MS product why would they want it come to other game devices?  unless someone wants to pay some nice royalties.

I can see this thing coming to movies theaters or just connect to a T.V if it works right. BE the new 3D lol

well it might come for pc. look at kinect (sorta different product) but they  WANTED people to (hack) it and do things with it

k2theswiss

Yeah I could actually see a version of this being developed for theaters, and movies.