Metro Redux Graphics Comparison and Review are up

#1 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

Metro is an absolutely excellent series but 2033 was a bit rough, Last Light felt way more polished. The Redux has seemed to really make 2033 shine. I preordered and am looking forward to playing with better graphics and AI. I really wasn't expecting this big of a change...

Metro Redux Reviews

#2 Posted by cyloninside (480 posts) -

redux for sure has better lighting.... but everything else looks significantly worse IMO. wtf?

#3 Posted by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

redux for sure has better lighting.... but everything else looks significantly worse IMO. wtf?

I thought some things looked a little iffy at first too and then I turned the video to 1080 and everything looked a lot better. Did you watch the video in 1080 HD?

#4 Posted by cyloninside (480 posts) -

@k3ck said:

@cyloninside said:

redux for sure has better lighting.... but everything else looks significantly worse IMO. wtf?

I thought some things looked a little iffy at first too and then I turned the video to 1080 and everything looked a lot better. Did you watch the video in 1080 HD?

im more refering to the character models and a bunch of textures..... i did watch the video in 1080, but resolution wont make the new character models look any less completely fucked. i far prefer the old models.

#5 Posted by couly (5809 posts) -

@cyloninside: Looks like they developed for console kids. They like shiny bright things.

#6 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@cyloninside: The ones at 50 and 1:40 are pretty meh but the rest of the models look like an upgrade and animations on the characters are a lot better. Everything overall looks vastly better, especially the lighting as you said which is really important for a dark and atmospheric game like this.

#7 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23463 posts) -

I prefer the original's art style more. It's a lot darker and gives better atmosphere which is important for a game like this.

#8 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I prefer the original's art style more. It's a lot darker and gives better atmosphere which is important for a game like this.

A lot darker? Really? I'd say the Redux looks a lot darker, and literally, there isn't white light everywhere. I prefer realism when it comes to atmosphere. The original has over dramatic artsy lighting and this scene might as well be black and white and have god rays shooting in every direction. In the original it looks like the heavens are opening and an angel is about to pop out of that very serene lighting at any moment while Redux looks gritty and realistic.

#9 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16129 posts) -

This is George Lucas status of unnecessary changes and visual updates...

Why did they add that cutscene of you being pushed out of the way of the car? I don't understand why they would take control away from you and make your crew look dumb in the process.

I don't understand the dramatic change in graphics and artstyle. The hard and dark shadows along with with the lamp and fire lighting made you feel like you were underground. The new visuals look like they could be taking place in a regular house...

However, I do appreciate the changes in the facial expressions. That was always something that was lacking in the original game.

#10 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

The hard and dark shadows along with with the lamp and fire lighting made you feel like you were underground. The new visuals look like they could be taking place in a regular house...

You guys are so backwards it blows my mind. The original has much brighter and more "regular house" like lighting. In the original it looks like the entire room is lit by uniform house lighting vs Redux having light just from the lamp. In Redux you can see light coming off the lamp and in the original it looks like there is overhead lighting that's lighting the entire room.

Are you guys borderline blind? O_o

Also the video review shows a lot more of the darker areas, the comparison shows most well lit areas.

#11 Posted by humanistpotato (351 posts) -

I prefer the new one in general but some textures are really worse than the original and i wish they didnt change character models this much im not much of a fan of original metro 2033 but they seem to look better

#12 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23463 posts) -

@k3ck said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I prefer the original's art style more. It's a lot darker and gives better atmosphere which is important for a game like this.

A lot darker? Really? I'd say the Redux looks a lot darker, and literally, there isn't white light everywhere. I prefer realism when it comes to atmosphere. The original has over dramatic artsy lighting and this scene might as well be black and white and have god rays shooting in every direction. In the original it looks like the heavens are opening and an angel is about to pop out of that very serene lighting at any moment while Redux looks gritty and realistic.

Yes, and I still prefer the original in the screenshot you took.

#13 Posted by Postmortem123 (7646 posts) -

I prefer the original character models.

#14 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -

I'm looking forward to this because I never got to truly play each game. (they didn't work well enough on my old PC so I stopped)

#15 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

Original looks more gritty

Anyway I'm not paying $20 for a reskin of the same game with more shinyness, that will probably sell to the console nerds haha.

#16 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@FelipeInside: You're in for quite a treat. Both are pretty damn awesome. I thought Last Light was better than Bioshock Infinite, especially the gunplay and actual gameplay.

@JigglyWiggly_: Maybe from an artistic standpoint like if you were gonna frame it on your wall or something then yeah, I'd agree. As a realistic and atmospheric game? Not so much. I'd prefer having the original framed on my wall while playing the Redux.

#17 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16129 posts) -

@k3ck said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

The hard and dark shadows along with with the lamp and fire lighting made you feel like you were underground. The new visuals look like they could be taking place in a regular house...

You guys are so backwards it blows my mind. The original has much brighter and more "regular house" like lighting. In the original it looks like the entire room is lit by uniform house lighting vs Redux having light just from the lamp. In Redux you can see light coming off the lamp and in the original it looks like there is overhead lighting that's lighting the entire room.

Are you guys borderline blind? O_o

Also the video review shows a lot more of the darker areas, the comparison shows most well lit areas.

0:36-1.03

Look at how the lighting is subtely changing every second in the original. The color shifts from red-yellow-orange quickly and randomly. The lighting conditions are very poor and the light casts incredibly hard and dark shadows. This type of lighting is only present in Metro original, the redux edition looks like it could take place in a skyrim mod or something.

#18 Posted by SrgtSaggy101 (1863 posts) -

I prefer the original's art style more. It's a lot darker and gives better atmosphere which is important for a game like this.

#19 Posted by Blutfahne (269 posts) -

OG looks better. This reminds me of shitty doom 3 bfg edition where they messed it all up.

#20 Edited by MK-Professor (3730 posts) -

Should I buy the original version of Metro LL or the Redux ?

#21 Posted by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@MK-Professor: Redux for sure. The original is kinda rough. It runs worse and doesn't look as good. Also the AI is improved in the Redux.

#22 Edited by MK-Professor (3730 posts) -

@k3ck said:

@MK-Professor: Redux for sure. The original is kinda rough. It runs worse and doesn't look as good. Also the AI is improved in the Redux.

From what I have seen the Metro 2033 Redux indeed look better than the original Metro 2033, but it looks like that this is not true for Metro LL.

Metro LL Original:

Metro LL Redux:

#23 Posted by insane_metalist (5975 posts) -
#24 Posted by Postmortem123 (7646 posts) -
#25 Posted by id_mew (453 posts) -

I also think the original looks better.

#26 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3658 posts) -

Anyone actually bought it than can report. I'm quite tempted to get the 2033 version

#27 Posted by GoutSmasherLive (16 posts) -

Redux will benefit new gamers of the franchise.Those who finished the first 2 games will unlikely get Redux. Unless they want to spend on something they've already finished and do have a lot more time on their hands. I know I won't and don't (and yeah I finished both original games already).

#28 Posted by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

Redux will benefit new gamers of the franchise.Those who finished the first 2 games will unlikely get Redux. Unless they want to spend on something they've already finished and do have a lot more time on their hands. I know I won't and don't (and yeah I finished both original games already).

Or maybe they just want to spend a measly $12 to replay a highly improved version of the game, like myself. :)

#29 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7353 posts) -

I'd say OG Loc all the way. Gritty as fudge which fits the game.

#30 Edited by topgunmv (10187 posts) -

Now that I've actually played some of it, the redux of 2033 overall looks much better than the original.

The animation especially looks much better.

#32 Posted by sukraj (22161 posts) -

I'm getting Redux this week

#33 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

Now that I've actually played some of it, the redux of 2033 overall looks much better than the original.

This.

You'd have to be blind to prefer the original over Redux. Redux looks far better. The game is still very dark and moody, nothing has changed at all in that aspect. I took some screenshots of areas that I thought looked awesome but once I saw the screenshot they looked really bad. The game looks far better in action, screenshots don't do it justice.

Last Light Redux I have mixed feelings about. Some areas look wayyy better while others look a bit worse.

#34 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

Even at 50% off it is still abit on the expensive side. The directors cut for Dues Ex cost me about £4. This is £17. Saying that though, it's two games.

#35 Posted by topgunmv (10187 posts) -

Does anyone know what today's patch did?

#36 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

#37 Edited by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

i will be grabbing this on my XBOX as my PC is chock full of stuff already. I really wish LL had arrived on Wii U like originially promised, but THQ had old out of date dev kits before they went bust

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

@k3ck said:

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

#39 Posted by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@k3ck said:

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

People sleep? Holy crap, that's really shocking news.

#40 Posted by topgunmv (10187 posts) -

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

People sleep? Holy crap, that's really shocking news.

Doesn't crash to the desktop for me, so it certainly isn't happening for everyone.

Anyways, it appears the patch improved the graphics. I've noticed more smoke, better textures, and much better lighting in some spots.

I also think they increased the level of tessellation. It's almost like the "very high" setting's assets were missing or something in the initial release.

#41 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

People sleep? Holy crap, that's really shocking news.

Shitty 12 year old sarcasm will not change the fact it's a broken piece of shit on launch my friend.

Yea, people sleep. People also do overtime.

I dono if you have ever worked, you sound young. But I recall working in a meat factory as a hygiene cleaner. Simply, hosing a fucking floor.

And you know what sonny? People stayed overtime, without pay to ensure it was clean for butchers the next morning. Because, even just cleaning a floor, people gave a shit.

We didn't have any apologist weasels on multiple floor related forums making excuses for our incompetence, no, we cleaned that fucking floor one way or another.

But hey, this is just a game. Dat floor ment the world.

#42 Edited by SaintSatan (588 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

People sleep? Holy crap, that's really shocking news.

Shitty 12 year old sarcasm will not change the fact it's a broken piece of shit on launch my friend.

Yea, people sleep. People also do overtime.

I dono if you have ever worked, you sound young. But I recall working in a meat factory as a hygiene cleaner. Simply, hosing a fucking floor.

And you know what sonny? People stayed overtime, without pay to ensure it was clean for butchers the next morning. Because, even just cleaning a floor, people gave a shit.

We didn't have any apologist weasels on multiple floor related forums making excuses for our incompetence, no, we cleaned that fucking floor one way or another.

But hey, this is just a game. Dat floor ment the world.

Lol holy crap are you uptight. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? I don't know if this is your first PC game but most PC games have problems with some cards on launch, this is what patches are for. They can't possible test their game on every single graphics card/configuration ever before the game launches. Every real PC gamer has been through this shit a hundred times. You think people are gonna get out of bed and start working because of a few gamers that can't play their game? Don't act so self entitled and be happy they're patching it quickly. I sound "young"? I can at least form proper sentences and paragraphs and don't throw temper-tantrums.

#43 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

@k3ck said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

People sleep? Holy crap, that's really shocking news.

Shitty 12 year old sarcasm will not change the fact it's a broken piece of shit on launch my friend.

Yea, people sleep. People also do overtime.

I dono if you have ever worked, you sound young. But I recall working in a meat factory as a hygiene cleaner. Simply, hosing a fucking floor.

And you know what sonny? People stayed overtime, without pay to ensure it was clean for butchers the next morning. Because, even just cleaning a floor, people gave a shit.

We didn't have any apologist weasels on multiple floor related forums making excuses for our incompetence, no, we cleaned that fucking floor one way or another.

But hey, this is just a game. Dat floor ment the world.

Lol holy crap are you uptight. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? I don't know if this is your first PC game but most PC games have problems with some cards on launch, this is what patches are for. They can't possible test their game on every single graphics card/configuration ever before the game launches. Every real PC gamer has been through this shit a hundred times. You think people are gonna get out of bed and start working because of a few gamers that can't play their game? Don't act so self entitled and be happy they're patching it quickly. I sound "young"? I can at least form proper sentences and paragraphs.

No excuse.