Memory timings vs real world performance

#1 Edited by TDuiker (11629 posts) -

I havent build a computer ina loooong time, so i think i know teh answer, but just to be sure.. ill ask you lot.

i dont care about synthetic bench marks, im a gamer, i want real world performance, and responsiveness from my computer.

I can get ddr3 with timings of 8-8-8-24 or 7-8-8-24.. the later being about Euro 7,50 more.. So the price difference is not THAT much.. But then i dont ill notice :P

And what about 9-9-9-24 timings ? its a couple of bucks cheaper then the 8-8-8-24..

#2 Posted by TDuiker (11629 posts) -

BOOP

#3 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4414 posts) -

You won't notice any difference unless you're a bleeding edge bencher. Get the cheaper one.

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (8774 posts) -

As already been said the difference is not a lot, if it's the same price get the one with the higher speed and lower CAS, if not don't waste your money, even if it's 5$ more it's not worth it, unless you've got the attention of some cool looking cooler for the RAM dimm like G. skill Ripjaws or Kingston BEAST or idk any cool looking color from A - Data

#5 Posted by FelipeInside (26189 posts) -

@TDuiker said:

I havent build a computer ina loooong time, so i think i know teh answer, but just to be sure.. ill ask you lot.

i dont care about synthetic bench marks, im a gamer, i want real world performance, and responsiveness from my computer.

I can get ddr3 with timings of 8-8-8-24 or 7-8-8-24.. the later being about Euro 7,50 more.. So the price difference is not THAT much.. But then i dont ill notice :P

And what about 9-9-9-24 timings ? its a couple of bucks cheaper then the 8-8-8-24..

If the price difference is only a few bucks always go with the lowest timing ones. You won't notice a performance difference to the normal eye, but if you can afford something a bit faster under the hood, then why not?

#6 Posted by lostrib (42165 posts) -

You wont notice at all.

#7 Posted by kungfool69 (2583 posts) -

what kind of ram is best for editing with Premiere and After effects? does it really matter about the timing? just buy known brands?

#8 Posted by TDuiker (11629 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@TDuiker said:

If the price difference is only a few bucks always go with the lowest timing ones. You won't notice a performance difference to the normal eye, but if you can afford something a bit faster under the hood, then why not?

Well, if i wont notice the difference then i dont see a point in spendign more money then i have to. Just so i can brag i got cas 7 ddr3.. But i wasnt to sure bout it, maybe things changed up with ddr3 or something. Anyways, i guess ill get the 9-9-9-24 1600MHz 2X4 GB kit.

#9 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (4080 posts) -

Its been proven for gaming that going from DDR3 1333Mhz to 2400Mhz... Timings also offered no performance gains.

Take that information how ever you like. Most people buy RAM for the looks and the amount.

Loading Video...

#10 Posted by TDuiker (11629 posts) -

Like im buying dominator platinum, cause its sexy :D

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:Its been proven for gaming that going from DDR3 1333Mhz to 2400Mhz... Timings also offered no performance gains.

Take that information how ever you like. Most people buy RAM for the looks and the amount.

#11 Posted by FelipeInside (26189 posts) -

@TDuiker said:

@FelipeInside said:

@TDuiker said:

Well, if i wont notice the difference then i dont see a point in spendign more money then i have to. Just so i can brag i got cas 7 ddr3.. But i wasnt to sure bout it, maybe things changed up with ddr3 or something. Anyways, i guess ill get the 9-9-9-24 1600MHz 2X4 GB kit.

There's a technical difference under the hood. One RAM is faster than the other, no doubt about that. If it's just a few bucks you can afford then why not? If you prefer to use those extra bucks for something else then that's fine too.

I wouldn't go 2400Mhz though for gaming, that higher speed is needed more for high end video editing etc.

#12 Posted by Gammit10 (2302 posts) -

Not worth the extra money, IMO. Buy yourself some candy instead. Candy is good.

#13 Edited by TDuiker (11629 posts) -

@Gammit10 said:

Well i got a lot of stuff to take care off, amongst other things my new pc

Corsair Obsidian 900D

Corsair AX860I

Asus Z87 Sabertooth

i5 4670K

Corsair H100i

2X4 GB 1600MHz dominator platinum

500GB samsung 840 EVO SSD (i will prob. add another later for raid 0 )

GTX780 (wich i allready own)

All Noctua fans, a BD-RW drive, (a 512GB mechanical drive for backup purposes)

I will also be getting a new monitor at some stage, a ASUS VG278HE 27" 2ms 144Hz

Also i need to get some guttering for my speaker cables wich are now laying on teh floor, and i want to get a compressor cause i cant be botehered fuffing about with compressed air cans..

In the future i might also do a custom waterloop, since i got 2 RADS (a 360, and a 240 Black ice) and a MCP 655 pump(wich still runs fine after oh 6 years))

To bad the STORM waterblock i got doesnt fit S1150 though..

#14 Posted by kraken2109 (13209 posts) -

@TDuiker said:

@Gammit10 said:

Corsair Obsidian 900D

Corsair AX860I

Asus Z87 Sabertooth

i5 4670K

Corsair H100i

I will also be getting a new monitor at some stage, a ASUS VG278HE 27" 2ms 144Hz

Also i need to get some guttering for my speaker cables wich are now laying on teh floor, and i want to get a compressor cause i cant be botehered fuffing about with compressed air cans..

In the future i might also do a custom waterloop, since i got 2 RADS (a 360, and a 240 Black ice) and a MCP 655 pump(wich still runs fine after oh 6 years))

Looking at your parts I'm not sure why you're worried about spending a few dollars more....

#15 Posted by TDuiker (11629 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@TDuiker said:

@Gammit10 said:

Corsair Obsidian 900D

Corsair AX860I

Asus Z87 Sabertooth

i5 4670K

Corsair H100i

Looking at your parts I'm not sure why you're worried about spending a few dollars more....

Its really quite simple.. I dont see any sense in spending money on inverior products, neither do i see sense in spending money when it isnt neccesary. Just cause i can, doesnt mean i should..

#16 Edited by Old_Gooseberry (3957 posts) -

memory timings aren't worth 5 seconds of brain thought. cpu clock speed and graphic card power is everything. If your benchmarking memory you have too much time on your hands i think... cause i actually have done a few times cause i'm actually that bored sometimes, and in games i tested it was 1-2 fps difference in any which way.

I was testing corsair 1600mhz memory i had with some g-skill 2133mhz memory, and the 1600mhz memory had bit better timings while the higher 2133mhz had slower timings but i couldn't say which was better... in the end I think the 2133mhz was maybe 1 fps faster sometimes but for most games it was equal and not measurable. You can't even test that really, 1-2 fps is within a margin of error of randomness. I know the windows performance scoring benchmark isn't exact at all, but I had some 1333mhz memory in another pc i had and it was the same score as 1600mhz memory i had in another, which shows how little difference it makes... but it should range between 7.8-7.9 in scores on both pcs.

Real world performance isn't noticeable... and messing with memory timings is a waste of time, because you won't notice it unless your comparing the fraction of a millisecond faster timing might be to another.

It comes down to stability, that is all that matters cause the speed will be the same for most ram with similar specs

#17 Posted by kraken2109 (13209 posts) -

@TDuiker said:

@kraken2109 said:

@TDuiker said:

@Gammit10 said:

Corsair Obsidian 900D

Corsair AX860I

Asus Z87 Sabertooth

i5 4670K

Corsair H100i

Its really quite simple.. I dont see any sense in spending money on inverior products, neither do i see sense in spending money when it isnt neccesary. Just cause i can, doesnt mean i should..

And yet you felt the need for the 900d and an AX PSU for a single GPU setup?

#18 Edited by PredatorRules (8774 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@TDuiker said:

@kraken2109 said:

@TDuiker said:

@Gammit10 said:

Corsair Obsidian 900D

Corsair AX860I

Asus Z87 Sabertooth

i5 4670K

Corsair H100i

And yet you felt the need for the 900d for a single GPU setup?

#19 Posted by TDuiker (11629 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@TDuiker said:

@kraken2109 said:

@TDuiker said:

@Gammit10 said:

Corsair Obsidian 900D

Corsair AX860I

Asus Z87 Sabertooth

i5 4670K

Corsair H100i

And yet you felt the need for the 900d and an AX PSU for a single GPU setup?

I need a new case an PSU anyways, i might do custom watercooling in the future, and so on. i looked at a lot of cases and most of them where fugly, plus they had the psu sucking up from the bottom wich i dont like, the corsair cases where actually the only ones i liked, the 750D, the 800D, but they all had there things i didnt like.. The 900D i did like. At any rate so what if i got a 900D for a single GPU setup, thats my choice to make ;)