#1 Edited by quikdash6 (415 posts) -

for the past few weeks I've had issues with games crashing due to low memory (according to the windows warning popup). I'm just not seeing how it's possible though.

I have 8GB on dual channels

The system recognizes the 8GB. When the games crash I'm not even using 80% of the RAM and I'm not running a bunch of background processes. Any ideas? Let me know of any other info to provide.

This is at idle, Steam running in the background and Chrome up.

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (7428 posts) -

for the past few weeks I've had issues with games crashing due to low memory (according to the windows warning popup). I'm just not seeing how it's possible though.

I have 8GB on dual channels

The system recognizes the 8GB. When the games crash I'm not even using 80% of the RAM and I'm not running a bunch of background processes. Any ideas? Let me know of any other info to provide.

This is at idle, Steam running in the background and Chrome up.

I had many RED screens of death so called, I've swapped the places of the dimms and everything works fine now, I had many other problems as well as low memory etc problems before the swap, it happened due to new MOBO.

#3 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

What graphics card do you have, are you sure it doesn't mean video memory?

#4 Posted by quikdash6 (415 posts) -

I'm fairly confident it's system memory, but not certain. The warning says "Your computer is low on memory".

2GB GTX 770. I'm only running one 1080p monitor.

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

I'm fairly confident it's system memory, but not certain. The warning says "Your computer is low on memory".

2GB GTX 770. I'm only running one 1080p monitor.

That's odd indeed

#6 Posted by quikdash6 (415 posts) -

Switched the memory dimms, same problem after about an hour of playing. Any thoughts? Bad motherboard? Bad RAM? This is getting frustrating.

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (7428 posts) -

Switched the memory dimms, same problem after about an hour of playing. Any thoughts? Bad motherboard? Bad RAM? This is getting frustrating.

Try playing only with 1 dimm to determine if it's one of your memory dimms or the MOBO connector.

remember to use the same MOBO connector slot.

#8 Posted by quikdash6 (415 posts) -

Ended up finding the full error message in windows and turns out it was referring to virtual memory. Checked my page file and it was down to 1024MB (I think because at one point the amount of available space on my drive was down to around 1GB). I upped that, so hopefully it will alleviate the problem. Didn't get to test it yet, but will probably get a chance this coming weekend. Wish me luck.

#9 Posted by Horgen (110057 posts) -

Should only cause a considerable slow down/drop of frame rates in games as the RAM is also storing things the GPU needs.