Mechanical keyboard shopping.

#1 Posted by Chatch09 (277 posts) -

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches based off some comparisons I've seen. I want it to have full red led backlighting on all keys, but only shines through the keys, not through all the cracks. I would also like a decent amount of macros but that isn't all that important. I've been searching for awhile but can't find one thats exactly what I'm looking for. Price isn't really a factor as long as it meets my demands. Can anyone help me out with some suggestions?

#2 Edited by sleepingzzz (2260 posts) -

Ducky Shine

#3 Edited by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

I think cooler master makes a decent one that fits your needs, though I don't like them as much as my k70. The k70 has the switches raised so light has a halo effect and it is blue light not red.

#4 Posted by SimplyFatal (999 posts) -

I just got the filco majestouch 2 today and its effing awesome. I solely went for build quality, and its by far one of the best out there. You should go for a ducky shine 3 if you want backlighting. Go to mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming, it shows when they will be in stock. That's the time when you should buy though, they are quite rare. TKL (tenkeyless versions) aren't going to be in production anymore after July-August.

If you want something that'll last you a good 10 years, go for a filco.

If you want something that'll last you a good while with backlighting, go for a ducky.

I know LEDs usually last a good 15-20 years, but sometimes they die after a few months to a year, either way I heard pretty good things for the ducky in terms of LEDs.

#5 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3404 posts) -

@IvanElk: My mate has the coolermaster storm trigger mech keyboard which is nice , that has black switched i think. My K70 has Red switches with Red Led's and is yummy.

#6 Posted by Chatch09 (277 posts) -

Thanks guys! After I searched for these keyboards on Amazon, the Rosewill Apollo popped up in my "Items to consider" category, its exactly what I was looking for minus the macros, but I can just grab a gamepad for that.

#7 Edited by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

@Chatch09 said:

Thanks guys! After I searched for these keyboards on Amazon, the Rosewill Apollo popped up in my "Items to consider" category, its exactly what I was looking for minus the macros, but I can just grab a gamepad for that.

Rosewill is hit or miss from what I heard, its newegg's house brand if my memory serves correctly. Their mechanical keyboars used to be made by a very good company then they switched and the quality has been hit or miss since.

#8 Posted by Chatch09 (277 posts) -

@IvanElk said:

@Chatch09 said:

Rosewill is hit or miss from what I heard, its newegg's house brand if my memory serves correctly. Their mechanical keyboars used to be made by a very good company then they switched and the quality has been hit or miss since.

Holy sheet! Yea, I dont mess around with that store re-branded crap. Just read a few articles on the matter and yea everyone says its hit or miss. Thanks for the heads up. I think I might go with the Roccat, those Germans know how to make some quality stuff....especially beer lol.

#9 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7969 posts) -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162029&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=361116&SID=FWcp9ut0

I don't know how good it is but it's only 59 after 10 dollar rebate

#10 Posted by quikdash6 (404 posts) -

Thermaltake really has a lot to consider. This one seemed to meet all of your needs though. Just not sure how you will feel about the style.

http://www.ttesports.com/productPage.aspx?p=123&g=ftr#.U5wH5PldV9k

#11 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7969 posts) -

@quikdash6: the one I linked was thermaltake. Think it's any good. I could use new keyboard. Right now I am using one I bought for 4 dollars at big lots. It's a as seen on tv easy to see keyboard with yellow keys and big letters lol

#12 Posted by Chatch09 (277 posts) -

Thermaltake really has a lot to consider. This one seemed to meet all of your needs though. Just not sure how you will feel about the style.

http://www.ttesports.com/productPage.aspx?p=123&g=ftr#.U5wH5PldV9k

Thats a nice one dude! Decisions, decisions....

#13 Posted by pyro1245 (306 posts) -

Clickity Clackity. I have a bunch of mechanical keyboards but they're all from the 90's. Now I just use the crappy $10 ones from K-mart. They work fine and after a year when they get all dirty I just throw them out. Disposable keyboards FTW!

#14 Posted by Chatch09 (277 posts) -

@pyro1245: Hahahaha, hey thats not a bad way to go, makes sense for a lot of reasons. Im just being really picky. Now im wondering if I can buy a full set of Razer Blackwidow keycaps and put them on the Tesoro Durandal with its Cherry blues and red LEDs. I like Razer's keycap style but I cant bring myself to buy another Razer product...

#15 Edited by xxchadxxchad (178 posts) -

Just got my Corsair K70 with cherry mx browns yesterday, and needless to say this keyboard is beyond amazing! You should definitely consider it!

Also, I got it in browns but it comes in blues as well :)