Mass Effect PC problems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thevgprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thevgprince
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Whenever i try to play Mass Effect i press play then the Splash screen appears. then a few seconds later it says "General protection fault! History: GMatrix2D::Swap() Address = 0x10bb5ed6 (filename not found) [in C:\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe] Address = 0x19a63ee4 (filename not found)" what should i do?

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

Whenever i try to play Mass Effect i press play then the Splash screen appears. then a few seconds later it says "General protection fault! History: GMatrix2D::Swap() Address = 0x10bb5ed6 (filename not found) [in C:\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe] Address = 0x19a63ee4 (filename not found)" what should i do?

thevgprince

Hmm. It seems a faulty exe problem.

Patch it (latest patch is 1.02), I think you should be fine after that.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Go to the Mass Effect folder,enter binaries and the exe file is there.Use that one instead of the play in the splash screen.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

That's a video driver error, I'm guessing you have a Nvidia card and are using old drivers. As in before the 182.06's. In which case update your drivers to 182.06 or above, should allow the game to run. If this is with the newest drivers then I guess Nvidia broke them again for that game, In which case you're going to have to go driver hunting, as in finding an old driver that will work with the game.... I can just say that going back further than 182.06 will have that GPF error, unless you go way back to the 178.13 and below.... I used to use the 169.21's for that game, the 178.13 worked, too, but for me the 169.21 were more stable. Anyway my card is an old 8600GT, newer cards won't be able to work with such an old driver. And the 182.06's were just as stable as the 169.21's so there is no real reason to go further than the 182.06's, anyway.

Regardless, give this a read.... whole thread is about the GPF (General Protection Fault)... As in they were asking us for help and they later abandoned it because Nvidia released drivers of where the game would work... and a patch was never released to fix the problem with any of the previous drivers. (edit: hmm at the end of that thread the problem seemed to reintroduce itself, and Windows7 users have no older drivers to fall back on.... oh well. Guess, duel boot with WinXP is the only option, in that case.)

This is where/when I first saw them say driver 182.06 fixes the GPF problem and basicly when they abandoned a patch for it.... and as it happened the drivers after 182.06 worked fine, too. I haven't played Mass Effect in about a year, so I have no idea if the GPF error is back (edit: looks like it is, though.).... but going back to 182.06 or the ones after that should allow the game to run. Well, on Vista and WinXP, anyway...

edit:

My handle over there was/is Threesixtyci... here's a post that I made about the subject.... about 9 posts down. Hmm, seems that the 182.08's is what worked for me, not the .06's.... (.06's only worked in Window mode for me, at the time....) but whatever.... point I was making is that it depends on the the nvidia drivers.

solidwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 solidwarrior2
Member since 2008 • 256 Posts

if the solutions of the guys above me didn't work just re-install the game and if it still there just contact Bioware's support.

thevgprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thevgprince

I dont see a Binaries folder? where would it be under?

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arach666

thevgprince
Since you have the game instaled,go to that folder in your hard disk,and when you open it,5 other folders should appear(binaries,biogame,data,docs,engine and the Mass effect launcher). Select binaries,and a bunch of .dll files should appear,as well as the shortcut for the launcher,the mass effect config,and the Mass effect executable file(the one you look for).
savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
Patch it.
thevgprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thevgprince

[QUOTE="thevgprince"]

Arach666

Since you have the game instaled,go to that folder in your hard disk,and when you open it,5 other folders should appear(binaries,biogame,data,docs,engine and the Mass effect launcher). Select binaries,and a bunch of .dll files should appear,as well as the shortcut for the launcher,the mass effect config,and the Mass effect executable file(the one you look for).

I downloaded it from the EA website, so will it be the same?

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="thevgprince"]

thevgprince

I downloaded it from the EA website, so will it be the same?

You mean you downloaded the game from the EA website?

If so,I wouldn´t know if it´s the same,I own the retail version of the game.

If they differ from each other my previous explanations probably won´t do you any good.

Sorry mate and good luck.