Lords of the Realm 2 help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

viper0982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 viper0982
Member since 2007 • 555 Posts
having some troubles trying to install this game on 64bit vista. Install instantly fails and says it not compatible with my operating system and that I should check for a 64bit version. compatibility modes do nothing. Anything i can do besides dual booting back to xp?
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Lords of the Realm 2 was one of my favorite games, and one of the reasons I'm into strategy games now. I don't have Vista, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. Just looking around on Google though, this could be of some help: http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/22403.html edit: nevermind, that's not going to help, they actually managed to get the game installed. Ill see if I can find anything else though.
viper0982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 viper0982
not quite the same problem but thanks anyway, i think ill just dual boot with xp.
spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

I installed it a couple of years ago on XP and it ran without any problems (32 bit system).

Try the dual boot and it should work.

Oh, and lords of the realm 2 is one of the best games ever.

viper0982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 viper0982
lol it does rock, the knights a douche bag
spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 spierdalaj666

lol it does rock, the knights a douche bagviper0982

haha, yeah, always trying to invade your realm. The bishop was a good ally though, until i had to crush him :D

I

ladishbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ladishbloke
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Concerns most Sierra On-Line games released 1994-1997 for the Windows 95/98 platform. I have until now thought most of my troubles were due to DirectX incompatibility, but this is actually not the case (apart from some screen anomalies the few games I have seem stable). I'm running Win2K, so test results on XP would be appreciated (if you even had problems to begin with).

So all-in-all, just a quick heads-up for people, who have had trouble running these. Most usual symptoms are:

1) SETUP.EXE gives "General Protection Fault" or "Integer divide by 0 during install" error.
2) Game simply crashes on every startup after succesful install (most often SETUP.EXE beginning to fail in unison, even if it worked before)
3) Game complains the game CD is not in the drive, and refuses to run/continue (or movies/music don't play)

Here's what you do:

I) delete the SIERRA.INI file from your system directory. Do a search for "sierra" on your system drive, and remove the .INI file.

II) Start SETUP.EXE and run the installation. SAY NO TO SYSTEM TEST! Continue when asked to confirm, the installation should now finish.

III) Find the new SIERRA.INI created under your system directory and open it. Find the [Config] heading, or if it's missing completely, adding it to the bottom of the file. Add CDRomDrives and CDROM parameters under it, so it will look like this ("X" being the CD-ROM drive letter you're using for the game):

[Config]
CDRomDrives=X
CDROM=4

IV) There is another .INI under your game directory, most likely resembling the game executable name. You should see a reference similar to SIERRA.INI just now:

[Config]
CDDrive=X
WindowsDir=Y:WINDIR

Simply verify (and change if applicable) that "X" refers to your CD-ROM drive (needs to be the same as in SIERRA.INI), and that "Y:WINDIR" truly refers to your Windows directory (ie. where SIERRA.INI resides).

V) And for the last thing before running the game, change your color mode to 256 colors. It helps

So that's it. So far I have Lords of the Realm II and Incredible Machine 3.0 running with ease. I believe this should get 90-100% of Sierra's '95-'98 (DX3-DX5) published games working, but I'm running out of games So if you own any old Sierra stuff, do test this and post your results here.

Apart from this subject, I'm really annoyed you can't edit your own contributions for ntcompatible.com, because doing one one star contribution, and one five star immediately after means the site shows the game's success average wrong. Also, as this applies to a huge amount of games, perhaps the site admins could do some kind of a mass update on these games, if other people gain success with this method.
ladishbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ladishbloke

You only ever need pikemen and archers. 900 Pikemen 600 archers is unbeatable

spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spierdalaj666

the game worked for me on XP without any problems, at least that's what i remember. But win2K is a different story.

I always preferred archers, a few crossbows and knights (mounted and dismounted alike).

I wish sierra didn't butcher lords3, because this game deserves a worthy sequel.

viper0982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 viper0982
i cant install xp for some reason everytime i try i get bsod. I guess I wont be playing this game for a while :(
jj_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jj_jedi
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
This woked perfectly!!! You're the man. Thanks!
kelumhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kelumhii
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
THANKYOU!!!
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

THANKYOU!!!kelumhii

Bumping old threads is bad.

rado15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rado15

Concerns most Sierra On-Line games released 1994-1997 for the Windows 95/98 platform. I have until now thought most of my troubles were due to DirectX incompatibility, but this is actually not the case (apart from some screen anomalies the few games I have seem stable). I'm running Win2K, so test results on XP would be appreciated (if you even had problems to begin with).

So all-in-all, just a quick heads-up for people, who have had trouble running these. Most usual symptoms are:

1) SETUP.EXE gives "General Protection Fault" or "Integer divide by 0 during install" error.
2) Game simply crashes on every startup after succesful install (most often SETUP.EXE beginning to fail in unison, even if it worked before)
3) Game complains the game CD is not in the drive, and refuses to run/continue (or movies/music don't play)

Here's what you do:

I) delete the SIERRA.INI file from your system directory. Do a search for "sierra" on your system drive, and remove the .INI file.

II) Start SETUP.EXE and run the installation. SAY NO TO SYSTEM TEST! Continue when asked to confirm, the installation should now finish.

III) Find the new SIERRA.INI created under your system directory and open it. Find the [Config] heading, or if it's missing completely, adding it to the bottom of the file. Add CDRomDrives and CDROM parameters under it, so it will look like this ("X" being the CD-ROM drive letter you're using for the game):

[Config]
CDRomDrives=X
CDROM=4

IV) There is another .INI under your game directory, most likely resembling the game executable name. You should see a reference similar to SIERRA.INI just now:

[Config]
CDDrive=X
WindowsDir=Y:WINDIR

Simply verify (and change if applicable) that "X" refers to your CD-ROM drive (needs to be the same as in SIERRA.INI), and that "Y:WINDIR" truly refers to your Windows directory (ie. where SIERRA.INI resides).

V) And for the last thing before running the game, change your color mode to 256 colors. It helps

So that's it. So far I have Lords of the Realm II and Incredible Machine 3.0 running with ease. I believe this should get 90-100% of Sierra's '95-'98 (DX3-DX5) published games working, but I'm running out of games So if you own any old Sierra stuff, do test this and post your results here.

Apart from this subject, I'm really annoyed you can't edit your own contributions for ntcompatible.com, because doing one one star contribution, and one five star immediately after means the site shows the game's success average wrong. Also, as this applies to a huge amount of games, perhaps the site admins could do some kind of a mass update on these games, if other people gain success with this method.ladishbloke

I can't modify the SIERRA.INI file. Every time I try to save the changes it says
"Cannot create the C:WindowsSIERRA.INI file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct."

So then I looked around a bit, and thought that it might be because I'm not allowed to modify system files on vista. I looked up how to gain this privilege and found this site: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2204/vista_how_to_take_ownership_system_file/

The first part worked, but the second part ( the icacls "filepath /grant yourusername:f" does not. It just says "no mapping between account names and security ID's"

Any idea how to get around this...?

I'm running vista 32bit

Avatar image for papa_smurf_0069
papa_smurf_0069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 papa_smurf_0069
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I am also having problems installing Lords of the Realm 2 on my vista 64 bit. I'd like to be able to play it again if i could. I saw that you said you could get it to work with dual boot. What is that and how can i get it for my computer?
viper0982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 viper0982
actually i finaly did get this game to work, instead of having two operating systems on one computer i just emulated a computer using microsofts virtual pc program which is free. it was a while ago so i dont remember the exact steps i took to get the game to work in the virtual pc but it is possible.
wolfzero12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wolfzero12
In order to fix the problem of "Cannot create the C:WindowsSIERRA.INI file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct." Just open the SIERRA.INI file, copy and past the information into a new notepad, and add the config code to it. Delete the old SIERRA.INI file, and then save the new notepad with the same name, SIERRA.INI to your sierra folder. So your notepad should look like this (still with "X" as the name of your drive): [Setup] Presetup= Purge= Restart= [Last Test] Product=Lords Of The Realm 2 [Sierra] SierraDir=C:\SIERRA [SierraDirs] C:\SIERRA= [Misc] ProductDir=C:\SIERRA\Lords2 Language=ENGLISH [Config] CDRomDrives=X CDROM=4
Avatar image for CaliforniaSun22
CaliforniaSun22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CaliforniaSun22
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Oh, that's easy. Just move the file onto your desktop and then edit it and save, then move it back into the original folder!
carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
Or... open Notepad as Administrator, browse to the file, open and save it in its location.
adsss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 adsss
[QUOTE="wolfzero12"]In order to fix the problem of "Cannot create the C:WindowsSIERRA.INI file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct." Just open the SIERRA.INI file, copy and past the information into a new notepad, and add the config code to it. Delete the old SIERRA.INI file, and then save the new notepad with the same name, SIERRA.INI to your sierra folder. So your notepad should look like this (still with "X" as the name of your drive): [Setup] Presetup= Purge= Restart= [Last Test] Product=Lords Of The Realm 2 [Sierra] SierraDir=C:\SIERRA [SierraDirs] C:\SIERRA= [Misc] ProductDir=C:\SIERRA\Lords2 Language=ENGLISH [Config] CDRomDrives=X CDROM=4

I converted a 2002 circa Dell PC to Windows 98 OS. I did this specifically to run Sierra's LOR II and Siege Pack and Civil War General I and II. I continue to get a "0 (zero) integer error" message. Will the information you provided work to fix the Windows 98 OS as well as later OSs? If I need to do anything else please advise what to do. PS -- Several other 1995-1998 strategy softward (Talonsoft Eastern Front, WF, PF; SSIs Panzer General, Pacific General, and PG II...) work fine on the 1998 OS.
SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

"LETS GET DIGGING!!"

I love this game. I will try to install on vista 64 some day. I am book marking this page!

EMO0189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EMO0189
Thank You very much Laddishbloke!! that was awesome!! It worked! I didnt think it was going to... Now, since I don't have the origional disk, I made very little changes to what you posted... Instead of having my original L2 CD, I have an iso image I made of it before losing the disk... so, I'm using Daemon tools lite, (which u can find for free just google it), and I load the iso image to my virtual drive. Ok, my virtual drive I'm using is drive F:\ ... so I followed what you said, and instead of editing the file to use my real drive, I told it that L2 was located in drive F:\...and it works PERFECTLY...assuming I have the virtual disk loaded. Well this hint helped me with like 3 other games too, so thanks so much!!
shardfmtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shardfmtc
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I do all of this but it won't let me save. What should I be using to edit the ini file

tjbyrd08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tjbyrd08
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
hey i got past the integer error but when i have to select a folder to save it in it says I have to select the original lords 2 folder. I don't have any lords 2 folers. any idea?
MageFeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MageFeb
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I had the sa issue and I find that application for that :D http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/lords_of_the_realm_2/index.html it is totaly free. it will create a virtual DOS box and it will ask where you want to install the game. I do have windows 7 64bit and it work just fine. to make it full screen, just do ALT+ENTER, and is the same to put it small. That game is juste awsome, and I still can`t belive they mess up with Loard of the Realms 3. Hopefully some one will create a new one :D
greyknight93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 greyknight93
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Magefeb, i am running windows 7 on a 64bit machine and i read through this forum and it was all too confusing with the editing of the codes or whatever. I used the install app on the link you provided and it worked perfectly, i dont know what it did but lord of the realm 2 is running as i type this. Thanks alot man.

teacher317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 teacher317
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Sadly, I must profess my newbie status with my 500GB Macbook Pro... I'm having a bit of trouble installing Lords of the Realm 2, and it's probably a very simple issue. When I get to the install screen, it asks "enter the path to install to" and gives the suggestion C:\LORDS2. When I try this suggestion, it responds "Install path cannot be created. Please try a new path". When I type almost any path I can think of, I get a similar message. Trying other drives (like D:\LORDS2") gets a different error message "You do not have enough disk space to perform the installation. Please clear enough space on your hard drive." Clearly, this machine has enough disk space... I just need to find an install path that the game can follow. Any help would be appreciated. I just bought the game on ebay because I remember enjoying it so much looooong ago. I'd love to start enjoying it again. (I did get Lords I to install and play, by the way, using "Boxer" to help the Mac to do MS-DOS... but Lords I never asked me for a file path.)
MSSTROH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 MSSTROH
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I found just having Macemen killed everything. 1500 of those and everything else dies.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#30 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
please don't bump old threads.