Looking to buy a PC...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vShakey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 vShakey
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

The time has finally came, I want to transition to PC whilst having my One as a sidegirl. Already looked into what parts I want several times over, what do you guys think?

i5 4670, GeForce GTX 770, Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2x4) DDR3 1600 Mhz, Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 1TB HD, Corsair RM650 fully modular, NXZT Phantom 410 Mid Tower in white/blue.

Fan will either be 212 Evo or the NH-U12S. Monitor, I'm looking at a Asus VN247H 23.6".

I'm looking to get a sound card to support my 7.1 surround sound Trittons, any ideas? (UK). Also, With this rig what sort of FPS can I expect on games like BF4, Crysis 3 etc. etc.? Any suggestions for improvement upon my future rig is welcomed - as long as it's not too much a price difference from current :)

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

CPU: Do you plan to overclock? If so, you should spring for the i5 4670K. Otherwise, that is a good CPU.

GPU: At 1080p, this card will play most current games on high with decent to good FPS (40-50 fps).

MB: That motherboard looks good. I do not see any red flags. It does have onboard 7.1 from what I can tell, but I do not what quality you should expect.

RAM: 8gb is good.

PSU: I think you should have a minimum of 600w for the 770, but I would recommend a 750w PSU for more head room.

HDD: I have the same HDD, and it has served me well. The only other thing to consider is a SSD.

Overall, I think that is a good PC. I would consider upgrading the graphics card if you are unhappy about the benchmarks on Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, ect. If you plan on OC, then I would consider upping your PSU.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about the PSU head room. That's a solid PSU you got there. (I had 2x680's on a 650w)

MB: I have the Z77x-UD5H and it's a very solid board.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Why the really expensive mobo if your getting a soundcard?

vShakey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vShakey

@stizzal13: Unsure on wether to OC or not as I've read up it can damage your components if don't incorrectly and since I'm just moving to PC a friend suggested just sticking to 4670 - what do you think?

@GTR12: I was unaware that the Z97 supported 7.1 and I've heard sometimes a separate sound card can be better as there's no interference as it's a separate component.

How future proof do you think this system would be in years? I know I'd eventually have to upgrade on the GPU

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@vshakey: I am not in to OC myself, so I would go with the non-K version, if you feel the same. I own the non-k version of the i7 3770.

vShakey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vShakey

@stizzal13: I will most probably stick with the non K, thanks buddy :)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GTR12

@vshakey:

A sound card is always better than onboard audio, that's why I'm asking you why?

Also, why do you need have an aftermarket fan if your not overclocking? cant you spend that money on a SSD or better GPU?

vShakey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vShakey

@GTR12: Because that mobo was listed as a good choice for my price range on logical increments, however if you can find me a better, cheaper choice of a sound card + mobo together that'd be great as I'm only just starting in the PC world. I'm not too sure what's a good sound card that supports 7.1 and the price I should be paying for one.

To put it simply - I didn't know it was aftermarket! Do I not need a separate fan at all since I'm not going to be OC'ing? I'm not going to buy an SSD because what I've come up with is expensive as it is, I don't want to add to that cost. I'd prefer to keep it as cheap as possible but maintained around this sort of level of PC (the parts I've chosen already), so if you could save me money with the mobo + sound card I may just look at putting that into a better GPU if you could recommend me one (non-OC).

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

@vshakey:

I'm guessing you plan to use the Tritton AX720's with the soundcard?

I have a pair and they are trash, I've used them with a soundcard and without, and honestly, they are junk, there's about a 5% improvement, unless you are planning to get a pair of high-end headphones or a speaker setup, there is no point in getting a soundcard. If you still want to use a soundcard, then by all means get one, the AX720's wont improve...

vShakey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vShakey

@GTR12: I planned on using the 720+'s, if that's true I won't bother, I bought them due to being able to use on my One and PC. If need be I'll get a pair of PC headphones in the future.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12

@vshakey:

Then just remove the soundcard from the original build and your good to go.