looking for pc games to buy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mugen_infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mugen_infinity
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

im looking to pick up some new pc games. i havent bought any in a while and want to get some of the better games over the past couple of years

id like a good rts and cant seem to choose between dawn of war, company of heroes or world in conflict. im not too patient and want to just get straight into the action. my pc is in no way a gaming rig so im concerned about performance issues. also.. im not sure if i should just hold out till SC2

Id also like a good rpg ive considered neverwinter nights, gothic 3 (im going to get oblivion goy edition for ps3 so no need for that on pc)

what would you recommend?

Anthony9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Anthony9000
Member since 2006 • 2173 Posts
WiC is a very well optimized game and is great (check out my review) but listing ur specs would help =)
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

im looking to pick up some new pc games. i havent bought any in a while and want to get some of the better games over the past couple of years

id like a good rts and cant seem to choose between dawn of war, company of heroes or world in conflict. im not too patient and want to just get straight into the action. my pc is in no way a gaming rig so im concerned about performance issues. also.. im not sure if i should just hold out till SC2

Id also like a good rpg ive considered neverwinter nights, gothic 3 (im going to get oblivion goy edition for ps3 so no need for that on pc)

mugen_infinity

For RTS, I suggest World in Conflict. It's fun from the get-go.

And stay completely away from Gothic 3, the game was terrible. The most fierce enemies were the wolves because once they start hitting you, it's hard to stop them from killing you. Worst Combat system ever.

NWN(first one is better than second one)is good, and so is Gothic 1 and 2. You could also try Morrowind, it was deeper than Oblivion, but Oblivion has a better combat system in my opinion.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts is my advice
mugen_infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mugen_infinity
[QUOTE="mugen_infinity"]

DragonfireXZ95

For RTS, I suggest World in Conflict. It's fun from the get-go.

And stay completely away from Gothic 3, the game was terrible. The most fierce enemies were the wolves because once they start hitting you, it's hard to stop them from killing you. Worst Combat system ever.

NWN(first one is better than second one)is good, and so is Gothic 1 and 2. You could also try Morrowind, it was deeper than Oblivion, but Oblivion has a better combat system in my opinion.

kk, i was thinking of checking out morrowind and NWN 1 but i was afraid theyd be a bit outdated by now

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

You can purchase a 4 pack of Baldur's gate, Baldur's gate Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's gate II and Baldur's gate II Throne of Bhaal for practically nothing, well over +200 hours of game play on each game, you can carry you characters over also. They may be an isometric game, but the art work is beautiful, great amount of depth, story and game play that many games still try to emulate (badly), the use of vioce dailogue and charecter development gives them a real third demension, that really, no other game has managed to achieve, it's an absolute steal.

mugen_infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mugen_infinity

WiC is a very well optimized game and is great (check out my review) but listing ur specs would help =)Anthony9000

my specs:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz

512 MB RAM

128 MB Radeon 9800 PRO

obviously not the best, but i manage

Isidur_Paine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Isidur_Paine
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts

mugen_infinity

So you're looking for some new games to buy, uh? Well let's see if I can help you.

As you're looking fo a good rts, world in conflict is a good game, if you don't mind about the strongest propaganda ever made in a pc game. If are not lookign for something new, Rise of Nation + exp is a really good choise.

As for rpg, it depends on the kind you prefear. You pick two of really different kind, as gothic is in 1st/3rd person view NWN has an isometric view. This is not something just related with cameras, but with the entire gameplay. They're both good games and it's been a pleasure playing them but in this period i'm playing Jade Empire and as long as you played KOTOR you'll understand what kind of games it is. It as a very non-linear plot, more than other games. Try to considering even this one...you'll see it worth the price.. :-D

I'll aslo advise you for Baldur's gate series, Icewind Dale series, Diablo series, Dungeon Siege series, Morrowind goty, gothic I & II, KOTOR series and Temple of elemental evil.

Bye
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Get WiC
Yurand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yurand
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

1. RTS

- Starcraft - great game and soon we will have starcraft 2

- Command and Conquer ( all games)

- World in Conflict ( + Ground Control 2)

- Supreme Commander

2. Strategy

Civilization ( 1-4)

3. Action:

- Bioshock

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R

- Half-Life

- F.E.A.R

4. RPG

- NWN 2(+ Mask of the Betrayer)

- Gothic 3 ( with unofficial patch )

- BG Saga

- IWN Saga

teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 teirdome
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

Gotta agree with WiC, great game even if it is a bit over-hyped. Some of my better PC gaming memories come from NWN though, it's a solid game if old. I personally have yet to pick up NWN2 because my old system couldn't handle it, but it's on the "to buy" list sometime after Christmas with these great games being released between now and then.

Edited to correct 4th grade typos. I been to college!

mugen_infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mugen_infinity
no love for dawn of war? that franchise seems to be really solid (AA for all installments)
brandp32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brandp32
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

no love for dawn of war? that franchise seems to be really solid (8.8 for all installments) mugen_infinity

DOW is the best RTS ever! I broke my copy of starcraft in half and threw the peices at my friend when he said that it was better than DOW.

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

Gotta agree with WiC, great game even if it is a bit over-hyped. Some of my better PC gaming memories come from NWN though, it's a solid game if old. I personally have yet to pick up NWN2 because my old system couldn't handle it, but it's on the "to buy" list sometime after Christmas with these great games being released between now and then.

Edited to correct 4th grade typos. I been to college!

teirdome

Don't expect too much from NWN2. It's certainly prettier than the original, but gameplaybecomes tedious after a while. Still, you might have some fun with it. It's still worth playing.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
WiC is awesome. You might want to try the demo first though.
mimada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mimada
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Your rig may be too slow for WiC. It looks like it could barely run CC Generals on medium settings. Do yourself a favor and at least upgrade your RAM to a gig. If you can shell out a bit more, upgrade your video card as well. Newegg has some AGP cards that are much better for about $100 (US).

That said, I'd recommend Dawn of War for your rig. The campaign's short but it's sweet and brutal. You can probably pick it up with it's expansions for a song. It should run okay on your system.

Stay away from Oblivion (as well as Gothic 3) for now unless you enjoy slideshows.

If you buy a new system with a good graphics card then WiC for sure.

Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
KOTOR1&2,WiC,F.E.A.R. CoH,CS Source........
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Baron_14

What are you talking about C&C Generals is a 3 years old game

my old PIII 800MHZ could play at at minimum without problems.

His card will max out Generals.

As for WiC there could be problems.

Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Baron_14

Pardon Me

it is a 4 years old game.

mugen_infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mugen_infinity

Your rig may be too slow for WiC. It looks like it could barely run CC Generals on medium settings. Do yourself a favor and at least upgrade your RAM to a gig. If you can shell out a bit more, upgrade your video card as well. Newegg has some AGP cards that are much better for about $100 (US).

That said, I'd recommend Dawn of War for your rig. The campaign's short but it's sweet and brutal. You can probably pick it up with it's expansions for a song. It should run okay on your system.

Stay away from Oblivion (as well as Gothic 3) for now unless you enjoy slideshows.

If you buy a new system with a good graphics card then WiC for sure.

mimada

thanks for the advice. ill be sure to check out those upgrades soon.

that said, i think im going to settle for Dawn of War, Neverwinter Nights 1 (and possibly Baldur's gate) all seem to have good bundles that are pretty cheap

mimada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mimada
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Generals stuttered badly on my friend's 2.8 GHz Radeon 9600pro system on medium setting (whenever there were a lot of units in play). We had to replace his video with an X1600pro and up his RAM to 2 gigs (although 1 gig may have sufficed) before he could play it on highest settings without too much lag. I concede that it may be playable on the OP's rig at 800x600.
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Baron_14

your rig isnt bad

but more ram coudnt hurt you

You should definitly try CoH.