Looking for new vid card. Do I go wit AMD or nVidia

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts

Good day all,

I've been interested in buying a new video card. However, I'm kind of out of the loop on the new tech in vid cards and what not. Which is why I came here! Was curious what people would suggest for vid cards no more then $350.

I currently have a Radeon HD7870 2GB GDDR5. Been using AMD for awhile now but if AMD has been getting worse, I may go with an nVidia card.

Thanks!

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Hello.

You have a good GPU. Either wait till June for new releases from AMD and possibly Nvidia, or go with GTX970.

Searching all GTX970 for months, I found that the best GTX970 (if you have the space) is Gigabyte's Gaming G1.

Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD $349.

But if you have patience I would suggest to wait...

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

AMD releases their new line of cards in June. From what I've heard R9 380X will basically be an R9 290(X). The new card will be R9 390X.
If you game at 1080P go for GTX 970- $330. If you're gaming or planning on gaming at 1440P go for R9 290 - $250 or $290X - $300.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@insane_metalist: Rumors (too many rumors lately LOL) saying that AMD will launch a new line of GPUs and R9 380X will not be a rebrand of R9 290X...

That's why I would suggest him to wait till june.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@zerosaber456 said:

Good day all,

I've been interested in buying a new video card. However, I'm kind of out of the loop on the new tech in vid cards and what not. Which is why I came here! Was curious what people would suggest for vid cards no more then $350.

I currently have a Radeon HD7870 2GB GDDR5. Been using AMD for awhile now but if AMD has been getting worse, I may go with an nVidia card.

Thanks!

nvidia is better than amd.

But in terms of rough power, you get more bang for your buck with amd, basically, amd is cheaper.

IF you want excellent driver support, excellent sli support, physx buy nvidia

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone! based on what I'm seeing here, I may wait until the summer to wait for the a new line of cards on then buy last years model (ie 290x)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17763 Posts

If you want a 290x, now is as good a time as any. They have been discounted a lot in anticipation of the new line. They may be hard to find come summer. Either way, you are due for an upgrade. Waiting will not save you much. Only sense in waiting is if you want more performance than what is available. Personally, I would not buy AMD because they lack all the proprietary tech that Nvidia has (PhysX, G-Sync, Hairworks, HBAO+ etc.). They also run hotter, are louder, consume more power and have worse driver support.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

Getting any current AMD gpu at this time is dumb, their new lines will be out soon and the current gpus are not DX12 ready nor will AMD support Mantle anymore. The only reasonable choice looking forward is a 970 or 980 or just wait for AMD 300 series which will be DX12 as well.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts
@BassMan said:

If you want a 290x, now is as good a time as any. They have been discounted a lot in anticipation of the new line. They may be hard to find come summer. Either way, you are due for an upgrade. Waiting will not save you much. Only sense in waiting is if you want more performance than what is available. Personally, I would not buy AMD because they lack all the proprietary tech that Nvidia has (PhysX, G-Sync, Hairworks, HBAO+ etc.). They also run hotter, are louder, consume more power and have worse driver support.

The only exclusive feature you listed is G-sync.

To the TC: You'd be better off asking/researching at tom's hardware or some other reputable hardware site when it comes to "which brand should I choose". The amount of stupid coming from both "sides" during the 970 fiasco on this forum is testament to that.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@zerosaber456 said:

Good day all,

Thanks!

As other suggested GTX970 or R9 290; you can always wait for AMD 3XX series.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

lots of people mentioned the great tech nvidia has (physx etc). Not sure if they mentioned DSR or not, but that lets you run a game up to 4k and it'll scale it back down to fit your resolution, its another nice tool to make games look nice if antialiasing isn't enough. Its got to be the most useful thing i've used by nvidia in recent memory since i don't have a 4k monitor but some games it really looks amazing with and some less demanding ones do play at 4k decently.

AMD has nothing like this, i can't see going with any of their cards, plus they use more power to run. Last amd card i used was the 5870 and i hated it.

Sounds like you already made up your mind OP, Nvidia it is.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

lots of people mentioned the great tech nvidia has (physx etc). Not sure if they mentioned DSR or not, but that lets you run a game up to 4k and it'll scale it back down to fit your resolution, its another nice tool to make games look nice if antialiasing isn't enough. Its got to be the most useful thing i've used by nvidia in recent memory since i don't have a 4k monitor but some games it really looks amazing with and some less demanding ones do play at 4k decently.

AMD has nothing like this, i can't see going with any of their cards, plus they use more power to run. Last amd card i used was the 5870 and i hated it.

Sounds like you already made up your mind OP, Nvidia it is.

Actually, AMD has something exactly like this, and it's called VSR.

NVIDIA is the way to go. They have the most exclusive graphical features in popular PC games and they're usually features that you really want to have (like PhysX). They're premium. AMD is cheap - for peasants.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#13 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

You can either go with the GTX970, any brand will do, choose which ever card looks sexiest to you (and be sure that the cards can adequately fit in your rig) so far the best bang for your buck GPU, very powerful card for a much cheaper price and with a bit of overclocking can match even a GTX980 in performance.

or an AMD R9-290x if you feel you are an AMD loyalist, might want to be careful about the brands though for this one, ones I would recommend are Sapphire, ASUS and Gigabyte, however if I were you I would wait a bit more for the R9 300 series before jumping to AMD.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Go with Ngreedia, it's been 3 months since AMD released a driver.