Looking for an RTS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Antarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Antarte
Member since 2009 • 387 Posts

I already have Starcraft 2, which I love (the only RTS I've played the last years), I don't want to buy its 2 expansions (I will buy the three together at the same time in the "gold pack" or whatever they'll call it). So meanwhile I want to return to RTS genera in a similar game, please recommend me your favorites considering the following features:

-Modern graphics (equal or better than Starcraft 2).
-Building construction style (I like to choose the location of buildings as Age of Empires).
-Selection and command of troops (micromanagement of combats).
-Single player offline mode (nothing like AoE Online).
-Fantasy background (modern, medieval or futuristic but not "only humans").

I have in mind Warhammer 2, Universe at War, Worldsifht, or King Arthur 2; but I don't know if they meet my requirements, but some of them does not seem to have building constructions in place, I don't know so I'm asking. Thanks!

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

I loved the first King Arthur, KA 2 sucked nuts (or it did when I played it at launch, might have been patched up since then - no idea). Have you tried something like Sins of a Solar Empire? Fantastic game, and not too hard on the ol' requirements?

Battles look great zoomed in, lots of diff types of units with their own unique abilities per race and customisable SP modes (no campaigns as such).

Antarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Antarte

Sins of a Solar Empire seems certainly a superb game in videos, but was looking for something with the features described. I wanted to return to RTS when I saw a building construction in Settlers, haha! I want to feel again the sensation of design my base/town, with variety of units and tactical maps. Any modern RTS similar to Age of Mythology or Starcraft.

It might help to mention that the RTS I most enjoyed in my childhood probably was Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, the only "flaw" to me was the construction method, I prefer the traditional AoE/Starcraft build system...

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Antarte: Sadly RTS games are becoming extinct thanks to MOBAs. I can't really think of many recent decent ones. Your best bet is the Civilization series but it's turn based. The Tropico series is excellent (and RTS) but it's not all that close to what you're looking for...

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=tropico

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Try Company of Heroes 2.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@airshocker: that's 'only humans' but still a great recommendation. A must play for any PC Gamer (the first one especially).

Try the XCOM series. XCOM Enemy Unknown and XCOM Enemy Within. They're both futuristic and simple fun.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Others have recommended some good games but if you want to play humans only then don't overlook Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 1&2, World in Conflict and Shogun 2. You should also play Warcraft games.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

Grey Goo (made by the Godfathers of the RTS genre, some of the Westwood Studios team who created C&C, C&C RA, and DUNE games)

Launches in 2 weeks, and 1 day.

This is the RTS to keep an eye on especially in a time where the genre has a severe drought, and it also passes all your requirements!

Antarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Antarte

Wow, I really expected more RTS out there but maybe I am looking features too similar to Starcraft.

Now I'm playing Dawn of War 2 Retribution, but, it doesn't seems to have single player mode, It has a kind of single player against AI under the online options, is some kind of DRM like Diablo 3? Because that is just what I don't want in a "single player" gameplay...

I will follow with Universe at War and Worldshift, and another great discoverer is Warmachine Tactics, is turn based but seems totally awesome.

@Lach0121 said:

Grey Goo (made by the Godfathers of the RTS genre, some of the Westwood Studios team who created C&C, C&C RA, and DUNE games)

Launches in 2 weeks, and 1 day.

This is the RTS to keep an eye on especially in a time where the genre has a severe drought, and it also passes all your requirements!

This seems just what I am looking for! If there are more RTS like this one please let me know, I'm following it!

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

@Antarte:

I am glad I can help.

I grew up with C&C/C&C:RA games. I am really looking forward to seeing a new RTS by (most of) the team that created the genre in the first place.

Starcraft always felt super overrated to me though (it was fun, but overrated), it was more of a click fest to see who could spam the largest army the fastest (even in the campaign at times). This game seems like it will make the players focus on tactics/strategy, as opposed to just focusing on making the player try to be as fast as possible to spam units. Grey Goo is supposed to be slower paced that Starcraft, closer to that of the C&C games, but possibly even slower than C&C3 (especially on the multiplayer as that was one of the first C&C games where spamming units was really the only "tactic" used)

Also it comes out 2 days after my B-day, so that is another plus for me.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#12  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Maybe try Command and Conquer 3 and Red Alert 3. Their graphics are not quite as good as Starcraft 2, but they are 3d and fairly good and play similar to SC2.