Looking for a good MMORPG (Sand Box)

#1 Posted by Crystalherb (6 posts) -

I loved Minecraft but thats a lil less MMORPG like i wanted.
I want a game thats like a proper MMORPG Game but with SandBox Features
And im looking for a f2p game. Dont tell me something like Wurm. I get VERY bored of it.
Its way to slow for me!
Something more fast pace!!
THanks you! :)

#2 Edited by Coseniath (570 posts) -

NeverwInter and Marvel Heroes. Both f2p, both MMO. The last is a little experiment as a Diablo MMO... They just added raids oO...

#3 Posted by Arthas045 (5098 posts) -

You can look into Star Wars Galaxies EMU.

#4 Posted by Flubbbs (2955 posts) -

check into Ultima Online free servers

#5 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

NeverwInter and Marvel Heroes. Both f2p, both MMO. The last is a little experiment as a Diablo MMO... They just added raids oO...

He said sandbox. Neverwinter is more like a shoebox.

#6 Edited by Coseniath (570 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Coseniath said:

I played neverwinter from beta till some levels at the begining. I would say it feels more like sandbox. Why would you say it isn't sandbox?

#7 Posted by lawlessx (46528 posts) -

F2P Sandbox mmos?

well archage will be a hybrid of a themepark and sandbox.

#8 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Coseniath said:

@vfibsux said:

@Coseniath said:

I played neverwinter from beta till some levels at the begining. I would say it feels more like sandbox. Why would you say it isn't sandbox?

Sandbox is an open world, make your own way MMO....Neverwinter is a themepark, quest hub, linear, instanced MMO. Old school MMO's like Everquest, Ultima Online, Daoc, Asheron's Call....were all sandbox. Today's MMO's are quest grind solo chat rooms. Archeage is the only modern MMO claiming to be even close to old school sandbox that I know of. Neverwinter is not in any way, shape, or form a sandbox MMO.

#9 Posted by krazyorange (2618 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Coseniath said:

I think you don't understand what the term "sandbox" means. It implies free choice, free roam, open areas, loads of items and abilities which can be upgraded as you see fit. Neverwinter is none of those things except the last, although only barely.

#10 Posted by Coseniath (570 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

Sandbox is an open world, make your own way MMO....Neverwinter is a themepark, quest hub, linear, instanced MMO. Old school MMO's like Everquest, Ultima Online, Daoc, Asheron's Call....were all sandbox. Today's MMO's are quest grind solo chat rooms. Archeage is the only modern MMO claiming to be even close to old school sandbox that I know of. Neverwinter is not in any way, shape, or form a sandbox MMO.

I think you don't understand what the term "sandbox" means. It implies free choice, free roam, open areas, loads of items and abilities which can be upgraded as you see fit. Neverwinter is none of those things except the last, although only barely.

I know what a sandbox is. I said it feels like sandbox... Its just what vfibsux said. With today's MMO, Neverwinter feels a little bit sandbox, at least to my experience of play... Also about sandbox, you forgot the ability to access all the areas any time of the game... But anyway...

The point is that the OP asked for a "F2P MMORPG Game but with SandBox Features" and these are the only ones that came to my mind...

He can try them and if he likes them, he will play them...

#11 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@krazyorange said:

I know what a sandbox is. I said it feels like sandbox... Its just what vfibsux said. With today's MMO, Neverwinter feels a little bit sandbox, at least to my experience of play... Also about sandbox, you forgot the ability to access all the areas any time of the game... But anyway...

The point is that the OP asked for a "F2P MMORPG Game but with SandBox Features" and these are the only ones that came to my mind...

He can try them and if he likes them, he will play them...

If Neverwinter feels sandbox to you I have a hard time believing you ever played a true sandbox game. I recently went back to a Daoc classic server to get that experience again, it is such a relief to not be quested to death.

#12 Posted by Coseniath (570 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

If Neverwinter feels sandbox to you I have a hard time believing you ever played a true sandbox game. I recently went back to a Daoc classic server to get that experience again, it is such a relief to not be quested to death.

You might be right here! :D

#13 Edited by lawlessx (46528 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Coseniath said:

@vfibsux said:

@Coseniath said:

actually at some point in its development archeage started getting some themepark elements. For example originally the game was never supposed to get any instances,but they started popping up during the games beta phase in korea...its still part sandbox,but nearly as hardcore as it could've been. a MMO called repopulation is modeling itself after SWG and Ultima online and that only means i wont be getting any sleep once it releases.

#14 Edited by Arthas045 (5098 posts) -

My votes still look into a SWG emu server. That was my favorite sandbox mmo.

#15 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@vfibsux said:

@Coseniath said:

@vfibsux said:

@Coseniath said:

actually at some point in its development archeage started getting some themepark elements. For example originally the game was never supposed to get any instances,but they started popping up during the games beta phase in korea...its still part sandbox,but nearly as hardcore as it could've been. a MMO called repopulation is modeling itself after SWG and Ultima online and that only means i wont be getting any sleep once it releases.

Yea I heard that, what a shame. It is no longer the MMORPG genre, it is the MMOADHD genre. Devs are cashing in on getting millions of subs for a short period of time rather than sustaining a smaller subscriber base long term like the old MMORPGs did. WoW did this, completely destroyed the genre by making it "accessible".

#16 Edited by Maroxad (8045 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

EverQuest is not a sandbox mmo, it is a themepark, more or less what started the whole themepark trend too. That said it was a lot more sandboxy than what WoW or any of its wannabes was or will ever be. I like the "DikuMUD with graphics" description that game has because that is exactly what it is.

@lawlessx said:

a MMO called repopulation is modeling itself after SWG and Ultima online and that only means i wont be getting any sleep once it releases.

I really hope that game does not end up being a buggy and or poorly executed piece of trash, Because oh man, that game sure seems extremely promising thus far.

I lost all interest in WildStar after a few days... though that is not entirely the game's fault. I am hoping The Repopulation will keep my interest going for longer than a few days at the very least, preferrably for years.

@Arthas045 As it should, SWG truly was a masterpiece. It is a shame what happened to it though, which is where SWG Emu (like you mentioned) comes in :D. What did/does your SWG character do for a living?

#17 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

EverQuest is not a sandbox mmo, it is a themepark, more or less what started the whole themepark trend too. That said it was a lot more sandboxy than what WoW or any of its wannabes was or will ever be. I like the "DikuMUD with graphics" description that game has because that is exactly what it is.

You're high if you think EQ was a themepark MMO. By today's standards it was most certainly more sandbox than anything else. It may have had some themeparks elements, but to say it was in fact a themepark MMO is absurd.

You are obviously defining sandbox in the extremist sense here.

#18 Edited by Maroxad (8045 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

You're high if you think EQ was a themepark MMO. By today's standards it was most certainly more sandbox than anything else. It may have had some themeparks elements, but to say it was in fact a themepark MMO is absurd.

Regarding EverQuest

• No player generated content
  • Your playstyle was primarily determined by your class.
  • Players go through content developed by the game designers. Albeit more open ended than what we see today.

How exactly is EverQuest NOT a themepark mmo?

#19 Edited by pl4yer_f0und (964 posts) -

The secret world is on a flash sale right now, I hear that is pretty different from WoW type MMOs, dunno if it is a sandbox, however, since I never played it. Thinking about getting it tho.

How is SWG Emu? SWG would have been the kind of game I loved, sandbox and in the Star Wars. Unfortunately it died too soon.

#20 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

Regarding EverQuest

• Players go through content developed by the game designers. Albeit more open ended than what we see today.

By your definition there has never been a sandbox MMO. There was no such term as themepark MMO when Everquest came out, there is a reason for that. It does not have to fit your definition of being a sandbox, but to call it a themepark is ridiculous, just stop.

#21 Edited by Maroxad (8045 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

Regarding EverQuest

By your definition there has never been a sandbox MMO. There was no such term as themepark MMO when Everquest came out, there is a reason for that. It does not have to fit your definition of being a sandbox, but to call it a themepark is ridiculous, just stop.

When EverQuest was released it was noted for being a drastic change from the typical mmorpg norm (which followed a sandbox design, like Ultima Online). In which the emphasis was on exploration and dungeon crawling rather than world simulation.

The themepark terminology wasn't around because there werent themeparks (there were), but rather because there was no push in the mmorpg community to use it. What caused the term themepark to be thrown around like it did was a lot of the controversy caused by certain SWG updates. Updates that mind you were designed to make the game more like WoW and its direct ancestor EverQuest.

And are you seriously implying games like EVE Online, SWG, Ultima Online do not fit that bill. Mortal Online too if I have heard correctly (never played that myself)? Right now your arguements (if I can even call them that, waste of words would be a better definition), are basicly just "its redicilous" and "you are high". Do you have any arguements for why EverQuest, the game WoW is based on is not a themepark? You didnt answer my question so I will ask again.

#22 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

Regarding EverQuest

When EverQuest was released it was noted for being a drastic change from the typical mmorpg norm (which followed a sandbox design, like Ultima Online). In which the emphasis was on exploration and dungeon crawling rather than world simulation.

The themepark terminology wasn't around because there werent themeparks (there were), but rather because there was no push in the mmorpg community to use it. What caused the term themepark to be thrown around like it did was a lot of the controversy caused by certain SWG updates. Updates that mind you were designed to make the game more like WoW and its direct ancestor EverQuest.

And are you seriously implying games like EVE Online, SWG, Ultima Online do not fit that bill. Mortal Online too if I have heard correctly (never played that myself)? Right now your arguements (if I can even call them that, waste of words would be a better definition), are basicly just "its redicilous" and "you are high". Do you have any arguements for why EverQuest, the game WoW is based on is not a themepark? You didnt answer my question so I will ask again.

You are the one coming in here talking shit about EQ is a themepark MMO, so you fucking prove it, I don't have to answer shit.

#23 Edited by Maroxad (8045 posts) -

TC: Here are a few lists of sandbox mmorpgs if you are interested :)

http://www.mmorpg-center.com/sandbox-mmo
http://sandboxer.org/?page_id=343

A Tale in a Desert is an interesting Sandbox mmo, because it is almost entirely crafting driven. So if you are a crafter like me, it might be interesting, just beware of the bad graphics.

@vfibsux said:

You are the one coming in here talking shit about EQ is a themepark MMO, so you fucking prove it, I don't have to answer shit.

3 swear words in one sentence, what a badass you are, you sure showed me. As for proving that EQ is a themepark, I already did. Putting up several arguements for it even.

@Maroxad said:

Regarding EverQuest

And

@Maroxad said:

These bolded things apply to everquest and are very much themepark traits.

Face it, you are wrong... as usual.

And to further clarify something I argued for earlier. Put in bullet points for those who are a bit... slow,

• WoW is the posterboy for themepark mmos
  • WoW was designed using everquest as a base and built around EverQuest's feedback, as well as burrowing some concept from other mmos.
  • WoW is streamlined from EverQuest, but retained its themepark nature.
#24 Posted by cyloninside (476 posts) -

ArcheAge is your only hope for a good Sandbox MMO currently. Beta should be starting soon (July).

#25 Posted by cyloninside (476 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

@Maroxad said:

@vfibsux said:

Regarding EverQuest

uh oh... someone is mad.

most MMOs made before WoW were sandbox-ish... it wasnt like there was a predetermined path through the game world. there were just camps of mobs that were certain levels, and you killed those mobs if you wanted appropriate XP. WoW was honestly one of the first MMOs to really lead the player through its gameworld by the hand, thus creating the themepark experience. for some reason everyone believes that is the way to go now, and nobody wants to go back to the old ways...

#26 Posted by Blutfahne (262 posts) -

IS this still rocking strong with regular updates?

#27 Edited by Arthas045 (5098 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

IS this still rocking strong with regular updates?

Actually it is the latest update was on the 22nd. They are still adding content as well.