xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Dark Souls 2 left a bad taste in my mouth, so I need another game to rinse it with. As the title says, I want an action RPG. What it should have:

-FPP or TPP

-fluent controls and combat

-dark atmosphere

-character creation and/or customisation

-open world

-fantasy setting

-interesting locations

- good, interesting and engaging storyline

What it mustn't have:

-top-down view

-turn-based or "start-stop" combat

-overly complicated stats (by that I mean anything equally complicated to D&D-based games)

The game doesn't need to have ALL of those at once of course. If it meets most of the criteria, it's fine for me. Just tell me what it doesn't have cause some of those are dealbreakers to me.

What I've already played fitting the requirements more or less:

-all TES games

-all The Witcher games

-Dark Souls 1 & 2

-Gothic 1*

-Risen*

-Kingdoms of Amalur*

-all Two Worlds games*

That's all I can remember for now. Will be adding more, if I recall something else. Also, thanks in advance for help.

*didn't like it

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

If you haven't given the dragon age games a try I'd say go for them. They are like mass effect with swords and magic. I played the second one and liked it, never got around to the first. The new one looks great too.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xxninja666xx

I've already played Dragon Age (the first one). I didn't enjoy it because it was a top down, start-stop combat RPG with a lot of tactics along the way and I don't like this kinda stuff. I won't play DA2, though, as I hate to start from the sequel, especially with RPG games.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I haven't played DA2, but I believe it's mostly a standalone experience with some references to the first game. Maybe Gothic 2 if you liked the first? It's considered the best. You could also try Guild Wars 2 if you don't mind playing a MMO. And...uhhh...I'm out.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xxninja666xx

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

I haven't played DA2, but I believe it's mostly a standalone experience with some references to the first game. Maybe Gothic 2 if you liked the first? It's considered the best. You could also try Guild Wars 2 if you don't mind playing a MMO. And...uhhh...I'm out.

Oops, forgot an asterisk over there. I didn't really like Gothic that much (yes, I know, I'm a picky bastard) and I hate the way Piranha Bytes makes their games in general. I also don't find MMOs amusing. Looks like I'm out of luck. I guess I'll have to wait for Bound by Flame - it comes out on Friday, so it's not that long.

EDIT: No, wait - I didn't forget the asterisk. You just didn't notice it.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@xxninja666xx: The second dragon age is far more action oriented and barely involves the previous game besides a few references. It's essentially a standalone tittle. And besides being top down it is exaclty what you ask for in play style and genre. But if it's not your thing then so be it. I really can't think of anything else other then maybe the latest Mount and blade game.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xxninja666xx

@ribstaylor1:

It's has a top down perspective? From the screenshots on many sites I was convinced it was TPP. I won't play it then, as I can't get a tiny bit of enjoyment out of an RPG if I don't feel immersed, and I don't feel immersed when I look at everything from far above. Yes, it's a stupid reason, but I just can't make an exception to that.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

@xxninja666xx: no Dragon age is not a top down game. You may be able to play it like that but it is 3rd person.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

That's asking for a lot with those demands. Seriously narrowing down your choices. (so much so you're getting DA2 replies…lololol)

Gothic 2

Nehrim (complete overhaul mod for Oblivion)

Dragons Dogma

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xxninja666xx

@bussinrounds said:
(so much so you're getting DA2 replies…lololol)

And what's so bad about DA2? I've heard it's worse than DA1, but still a pretty good, playable game. Is that what it's all about? If yes, then it's kinda pathetic.

@bussinrounds said:

Gothic 2

Nehrim (complete overhaul mod for Oblivion)

Dragons Dogma

Gothic 2 - No. I've stated before that I hate the way Piranha Bytes makes their games and I bet Gothic 2 is no different from the first one.

Nehrim - I've already played it. Might give it another chance, despite it being kind of broken (mainly in the skill department - the skills required teachers to improve, but sometimes they grew on their own, like in Oblivion).

Dragon's Dogma - Since when is it on PC? No, seriously, I wanna know.

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

Well you've pretty much ruled out everything.

You want us to magically conjure up a game? I would, but I'm sure you'd find a reason not to like it.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxninja666xx
@maynardburger said:

You want us to magically conjure up a game? I would, but I'm sure you'd find a reason not to like it.

Then this thread is over. Also, what's wrong with being uncompromising? I'm not going to go for a game I won't enjoy just because there aren't any others to choose from. It's not that I'm picky for the sake of being picky. There are some games that I wait for and will surely enjoy them (Hellraid, Lords of the Fallen, Bound by Flame, Kingdom Come: Deliverance), but the problem is I have to wait for them to be released, so I thought that maybe there is something that I can play now and can enjoy. Looks like there isn't at the moment and I'm not a compliant type of person to take what I have available, even though it's not going to fullfill my needs.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

Dark Souls 2 left a bad taste in my mouth, so I need another game to rinse it with. As the title says, I want an action RPG. What it should have:

-FPP or TPP

-dark atmosphere

-open world

-fantasy setting

-interesting locations

What it mustn't have:

-top-down view

-overly complicated stats (by that I mean anything equally complicated to D&D-based games)

The game doesn't need to have ALL of those at once of course. If it meets most of the criteria, it's fine for me. Just tell me what it doesn't have cause some of those are dealbreakers to me.

-all TES games

-all The Witcher games

-Dark Souls 1 & 2

-Gothic 1*

-Risen*

-Kingdoms of Amalur*

-all Two Worlds games*

That's all I can remember for now. Will be adding more, if I recall something else. Also, thanks in advance for help.

*didn't like it

I heard fable III is pretty good, I really loved fable II but haven't gotten to play fable III yet.

Fallout series, latest deus ex , borderlands series, mass effect series, dead island are very good rpg's as well

but they aren't really fantasy

Bound by flame is coming out on may 9

Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

You kinda described Planet explorers and they have a demo on their site. I was quite impressed by how much the game advanced over the last few months.

Its an alien world to explore, quest, build in and can do first and third person.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xxninja666xx

@evildead6789:

I played Mass Effect some time ago, but couldn't get past the first mission. Not because it was too hard, mind you. It was because the gameplay felt to me like it was Gears of War with annoying stat-based bullet bending. Is it like this for the whole game or does it get better (strictly gameplay-wise, not story-wise)?

@Sleepyz

It looks really interesting. I'll be sure to check it out.

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:
@maynardburger said:

Then this thread is over. Also, what's wrong with being uncompromising? I'm not going to go for a game I won't enjoy just because there aren't any others to choose from. It's not that I'm picky for the sake of being picky. There are some games that I wait for and will surely enjoy them (Hellraid, Lords of the Fallen, Bound by Flame, Kingdom Come: Deliverance), but the problem is I have to wait for them to be released, so I thought that maybe there is something that I can play now and can enjoy. Looks like there isn't at the moment and I'm not a compliant type of person to take what I have available, even though it's not going to fullfill my needs.

Be picky if you want. Doesn't affect me.

Just pointing out that there isn't anything for us to offer you in the way of suggestions as a result.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@evildead6789:

I played Mass Effect some time ago, but couldn't get past the first mission. Not because it was too hard, mind you. It was because the gameplay felt to me like it was Gears of War with annoying stat-based bullet bending. Is it like this for the whole game or does it get better (strictly gameplay-wise, not story-wise)?

@Sleepyz

It looks really interesting. I'll be sure to check it out.

It's not really gears of war in a sense it has a lot more rpg elements, not all three have the same gameplay as well

Allthough it's all third person.

so have you checked out bound by flame yet?

Looks promising

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xxninja666xx
@evildead6789 said:

so have you checked out bound by flame yet?

Looks promising

@xxninja666xx said:
There are some games that I wait for and will surely enjoy them (Hellraid, Lords of the Fallen, Bound by Flame, Kingdom Come: Deliverance)

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga might fit the bill. It's a 3rd person action rpg, with a large open world, good combat system, character customization (not too deep, though), and tons of places to explore. You even get to turn into a dragon at will after a certain point in the game which is damn fun, and the dragon form can also be leveled up.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xxninja666xx

@Renevent42 said:

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga might fit the bill.

Looks fun. I'll try it out.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I didn't notice fallout on your list. Give Fallout 3 or NV a try. I know you stated Fantasy setting, but these are worth the play through.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxninja666xx
@Arthas045 said:

I didn't notice fallout on your list. Give Fallout 3 or NV a try. I know you stated Fantasy setting, but these are worth the play through.

That's the reason they weren't mentioned - they aren't fantasy. I have played them though, and while Fallout 3 was lacking, New Vegas was very good in every way.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

Dragon knight saga maybe.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Severance Blade of Darkness. Only 6 bucks on GoG. I've never played the game but it's the only title i could think of similar to what you described that you haven't played and hasn't been suggested.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

I heard fable III is pretty good, I really loved fable II but haven't gotten to play fable III yet.

Fallout series, latest deus ex , borderlands series, mass effect series, dead island are very good rpg's as well

but they aren't really fantasy

Bound by flame is coming out on may 9

Fable 3 was just that, "pretty good". Original Fable and 2 was the best, still can't believe they never brought the second to the PC the bastards.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bussinrounds

@Grimlim said:

Severance Blade of Darkness. Only 6 bucks on GoG. I've never played the game but it's the only title i could think of similar to what you described that you haven't played and hasn't been suggested.

Was gonna say that, but it's not an RPG. And yea, Dragons Dogma isn't on pc but it wouldn't meet his good storyline demand anyway.

Way too many stipulations. There aren't many action rpgs with good combat PERIOD. Plus he wants all that other shit ? Yea sure.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

Dragon age and all the DLC's are 9.99 on steam right now

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xxninja666xx

@bussinrounds said:

Plus he wants all that other shit ? Yea sure.

I don't want ALL of these criteria cause it's not possible. I stated that it doesn't have to meet all of them. I only really care about it not being top-down, too tactical and being set in a fantasy world, although for the last one I can compromise if it's really worth it (just look how I was asking about Mass Effect or got interested in Planet Explorers).

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bussinrounds

Ahh ok. Here's some other suggestions then..

System Shock 2 (sweet bundle here) https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Vampire: Bloodlines (get this for it) http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647/61625/61626/description

Dark Messiah

Arx Fatalis

Deus Ex (original and HR)

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xxninja666xx

System Shock 2 - I've heard that's it really good, but what about System Shock 1? Am I free to just start from the sequel without any consequences?

Vampire: Bloodlines - Played it, didn't like it in general. The atmosphere kept reminding me of all those stupid teen movies about vampires and that's what put me off.

Dark Messiah - It's not really an RPG, more like an Action Adventure, but I'll consider it as it's too good not to finish it.

Arx Fatalis - I've beaten it already. Forgot to mention.

Deus Ex - I'm not really keen on FPS/RPG hybrids.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bussinrounds

@xxninja666xx said:

System Shock 2 - I've heard that's it really good, but what about System Shock 1? Am I free to just start from the sequel without any consequences?

Vampire: Bloodlines - Played it, didn't like it in general. The atmosphere kept reminding me of all those stupid teen movies about vampires and that's what put me off.

Dark Messiah - It's not really an RPG, more like an Action Adventure, but I'll consider it as it's too good not to finish it.

Arx Fatalis - I've beaten it already. Forgot to mention.

Deus Ex - I'm not really keen on FPS/RPG hybrids.

SS1 - Good game and very innovative for it's time, but fewer RPG systems than 2 (which also has more modern controls/presentation and might be a bit easier to swallow) And yes, you can start with 2.

Hey, if you like these games and Arx, you might wanna check out their predecessors....Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 (good stuff)

Also Might & Magic 6-8 might interest you as they check off some boxes on your list (combat isn't tactical either)

And if you're open to action adventures like Dark Messiah, def check out Severance: Blade of Darkness (gud combat))

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

My fav genre as well, and there definitely aren't enough entries. You could always go for Gothic 3 with mods. It's still uncompromising and difficult, but with all the overhauls and changes by users, it's a damn good open-world game.

Mount & Blade series could work, although there is strategy involved. Nothing like you versus 200 guys and winning. Plenty of mods as well.

I've never played it, but Silverfall is supposed to be pretty good.

Fable games have been mentioned, but those are definitely a legit choice. Although they definitely aren't "dark" by any stretch.

Peruse mods here: http://www.nexusmods.com/games/? Some real game-changers.

Otherwise you're fucked. Unless you'd take the gold bar out of your ass and accept isometric perspectives. There are far more ARPGs from that viewpoint than any other.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Legend of Grimrock

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xxninja666xx

@krazyorange said:

Otherwise you're fucked. Unless you'd take the gold bar out of your ass and accept isometric perspectives. There are far more ARPGs from that viewpoint than any other.

Looks like I'll have to. Any titles worth mentioning that aren't all about clicking your way through hordes of enemies? Something in veins of Divine Divinity would be good.

@blutfahne said:

Legend of Grimrock

It's not really "action" - it's a dungeon crawler as traditional as can be.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bussinrounds

@xxninja666xx said:

@krazyorange said:

Looks like I'll have to. Any titles worth mentioning that aren't all about clicking your way through hordes of enemies? Something in veins of Divine Divinity would be good.

What about Planescape: Torment ? It has RtwP combat, but combat isn't really the focus (or tactical) and much of it can be avoided too. Great story elements and setting though.

Also Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle is a great RPG with non tactical combat that isn't about clicking thru hordes also.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xxninja666xx

I'll try out Torment, by I'm not really sure if I'm gonna like it. Doesn't hurt to try, though. Can you recommend something else? Preferably something more newish than Ultima 7 (I've played it, but not for long because my eyes and ears were bleeding from 320x240 resolution and high-pitched constant sound that was supposed to imitate birds chirping).

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bussinrounds

@xxninja666xx said:

I'll try out Torment, by I'm not really sure if I'm gonna like it. Doesn't hurt to try, though. Can you recommend something else? Preferably something more newish than Ultima 7 (I've played it, but not for long because my eyes and ears were bleeding from 320x240 resolution and high-pitched constant sound that was supposed to imitate birds chirping).

Did you try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exult for U7 ?

What about my Might & Magic 6-8 or Ultima Underworld suggestions ?

Also..

Lazarus ( Ultima 5 remake in the Dungeon Siege engine)

Mask of the Betrayer (good story elements) or other NWN 1/2 modules that are good, like Almraiven/Shadewood.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

try Darksiders 2. it's not full-on RPG, but it might be what you are looking for.

i'm sucker for action RPGs too, but there are not too many of them out there... atleast not good ones.

e: it seems to be on -75% sale at Steam right now, so even more of a reason to grab it :)

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xxninja666xx

@bussinrounds:

I didn't try Exult, only vanilla game, but looks like with it I can play ultima without eyesore after all. I'll reconsider getting the game.

I was thinking of playing Might and Magic, but level design just puts me off - the dungeons look like some pretty lazy attempt at making a map for the Doom Engine.

I'm pretty impressed by Lazarus, but since it's a mod I have to ask - Is it complete? If yes, is it well made and/or has any major bugs/glitches that couldn't be fixed?

I tend to stay away from D&D RPGs, so NWN isn't really gonna do it for me. I really can't understand their dice-based stat system and don't have time or patience to actually learn it.

@groowagon:

I really hate the over-exagerrated, cartoony art style Darksiders has. Is it really worth my time? Does it have a story or mechanics so good I'll actually enjoy it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@bussinrounds:

I didn't try Exult, only vanilla game, but looks like with it I can play ultima without eyesore after all. I'll reconsider getting the game.

I was thinking of playing Might and Magic, but level design just puts me off - the dungeons look like some pretty lazy attempt at making a map for the Doom Engine.

I'm pretty impressed by Lazarus, but since it's a mod I have to ask - Is it complete? If yes, is it well made and/or has any major bugs/glitches that couldn't be fixed?

I tend to stay away from D&D RPGs, so NWN isn't really gonna do it for me. I really can't understand their dice-based stat system and don't have time or patience to actually learn it.

@groowagon:

I really hate the over-exagerrated, cartoony art style Darksiders has. Is it really worth my time? Does it have a story or mechanics so good I'll actually enjoy it?

i can only recommend to watch the Gamespot video review on it, and decide for yourself. Kevin can introduce the game to you better than i can :) i personally think that the story is shit, but then again, i rarely enjoy stories in RPGs anyway. it's about how much fun the game is to play to me.

also you didn't mention Fallouts in your original post. you would definetly enjoy them if you liked TES.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xxninja666xx

@groowagon said:

also you didn't mention Fallouts in your original post. you would definetly enjoy them if you liked TES.

I mentioned them later. I enjoyed NV because of the story and atmosphere and hated FO3 because of lack thereof.

EDIT: Just finished watching the Darksiders 2 review. Totally not my thing - cartoony, colourful, fast and over-exagerrated. I prefer something a little bit closer to realism when it comes to fantasy games.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bussinrounds

@xxninja666xx said:

@bussinrounds:

Yea, it's complete and it is a very well done mod that's def worth playing. (especially if you're an Ultima fan)

I'm sure there's some bugs/glitches, so def keep multiple save slots. (not aware of any major ones though)

And there's the U6 project, which was also done in the DS engine (well done too)

The 1.1 Final Release came out last year, I believe.

I prefer something a little bit closer to realism when it comes to fantasy games

Darklands ?

Mount and Blade Warband ?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xxninja666xx

@bussinrounds:

Darklands goes a little bit too much down the hardcore way for me. Sorry. And I've already played Mount & Blade - I wouldn't call it an RPG as we are used to since there's no story whatsoever. You only take a role of an adventurer who later becomes a knight, only to be a king in the endgame and that's basically what there is to roleplaying in M&B. Also, by "a little bit closer to realism" I didn't mean literal realism, as in no magic or fantasy elements. I just like fantasy with realistic elements (authentic-looking landscape and locations, realistic, practical armors and weapons, probable, well-tailored characters etc.) over cartoony, over the top rubbish that's present in games like Darksiders or Kingdoms of Amalur.

I think I'll play Lazarus, as it seems the most appealing from all of the stuff recommended. I was considering Ultima VII at first, but from the gameplay I watched I've seen that it aged horribly and would be, for the most part, hard to swallow for me.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bussinrounds

@xxninja666xx:

Got ya'. You were just talking in terms of the artstyle. I did only mention M&B cause I thought you were talking about the whole setting in general.

The upcoming Pillars of Eternity won't have any of those retarded looking bulky/oversized armors, w/spikes, ect, btw…

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-10-pillars-of-eternity-interview-off-cuts

IceAxe18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IceAxe18
Member since 2003 • 622 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

-FPP or TPP

-dark atmosphere

-open world

-fantasy setting

-interesting locations

What it mustn't have:

-top-down view

-all TES games

-all The Witcher games

-Dark Souls 1 & 2

-Gothic 1*

-Risen*

-Kingdoms of Amalur*

-all Two Worlds games*

*didn't like it

You might want to look into ArcheAge

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xxninja666xx

@IceAxe18:

I don't think so. I don't like MMORPGs.