ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

I just got my bachelor's degree in Network communication. I decide to farther my education by getting certification. I can't decide whether to get Linux+ or Security+ first.

Feran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Feran
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

If you don't already have it I would work on getting some solid work experience, in the area you want to work in. Some times putting a large amount of certs on a CV without the experience to back them up can put employers off.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I'd think the Security+ would seem more attractive to most employers so get that first.

@Feran said:

If you don't already have it I would work on getting some solid work experience, in the area you want to work in. Some times putting a large amount of certs on a CV without the experience to back them up can put employers off.

That's what I'm worried about. Getting my Microsoft certs atm then gonna start Cisco but I have no experience at all in the field.

Feran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Feran
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

I would start small then, look for some work, degree should stand you in good stead. look for first line jobs.. depending where you live voluntary work could as be an option to add weight to a CV as well

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

I'd think the Security+ would seem more attractive to most employers so get that first.

@Feran said:

That's what I'm worried about. Getting my Microsoft certs atm then gonna start Cisco but I have no experience at all in the field.

Only go for Cisco if you plan to work with Cisco Hardware. Most companies these days have moved on from Cisco to other things.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

From my experience, I'd recommend getting the Security+ first. Especially if you live near a military base, or in an area where there are a lot of tech related contractor jobs. The Security+ cert is much more flexible and able to be applied to many more positions. Linux+ is a bit more narrow in scope and would be the more specialized of the two. I'm a GS employee on a military base working as an IT Tech and can tell you that everyone that gets hired is required to get a Security+ within 6 months of being hired (for tech positions) in order to get admin rights for your locals computers. Also, considering that you are in the networking part of "the biz", the Security+ cert will most likely help you out more as it is heavily networked based. Good beginning certs (CompTia related as that seems to be your focus atm) for you would be Network+, Security+, maybe Windows 7, and later on down the road Cisco as it is still favored by most agencies out there. Even if your eventual company uses...say...Brocade equipment...having a Cisco cert is not a bad thing as they are still considered to be an industry leader by most. I've had my Security+ for quite awhile now, and I have to stay it was a great investment.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Security+ also should net you Network+/A+ as bonuses as well, and can be used for renewal/acquisition of both.