Layoffs at Guild Wars II publisher...is it the end of GW2?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/layoffs-at-guild-wars-ii-publisher-6401089

Im not being serious about the end of GW2. I think this is completely normal after a game with a fairly large staff is completed for the company to let some people go. What I do find funny is you dont see a bunch of "OMG its the end of the game blah, blah, blah".If it were Bioware or Blizzard the idiots would come out on full attack mode.

Just saying.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

From what i read it was only several staff members,it was not like half the team was being laid off,the game sales will have slowed down and they probably have to many ppl on the payroll just for updates to the game so i don't think this is anything to be worried about...hopefully :P

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

Game hasn't even been out 6 months and is dying. Overhyped and brought nothing new to the table.

I didn't think it was possible to make a game worse than Guild Wars.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i'm glad you still have some common sense lol. but notice that the layoffs were on NCSoft due to a restructuring. it has nothing to do with guild wars 2. in fact, ANet has been hiring people, not laying off.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

"end of gw2"

looooooooooooooooooooool

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
It's getting closer and closer to its end, but not because of this, the developers themselves are out to destroy this game and if they somehow fail with all their bad decisions and terrible support, Nexon has shown us every single time that they aren't afraid to do it, no matter the game and potential.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
It should be worrying for the developers that their publisher is restructuring. Certainly it might not be from GW2 but ArenaNet need to ensure they don't damaged from the fallout.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Game hasn't even been out 6 months and is dying. Overhyped and brought nothing new to the table.

jakes456

Someone is uninformed

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

lostrib

Someone is uninformed

dont worry its just the village idiot

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

wis3boi

Someone is uninformed

lot of those around lately, must be the season.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Someone is uninformed

Allicrombie

lot of those around lately, must be the season.

Santa isn't happy about that.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It was a handful of people probably brought in for the launch of GW2, Blizzard let go of 600 people worldwide... Big difference.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Alot of people dont seem to know much about gaming development do they?
It is very very common for a company to release some people AFTER a big game has been released.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

lostrib

Someone is uninformed

Ah ignore him, he's the joker of the pack, no one takes him seriously any more.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#15 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

jakes456
I don't think it is possible to be a more fail troll than you.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vfibsux

Im not being serious about the end of GW2. I think this is completely normal after a game with a fairly large staff is completed for the company to let some people go. What I do find funny is you dont see a bunch of "OMG its the end of the game blah, blah, blah".If it were Bioware or Blizzard the idiots would come out on full attack mode.

Just saying.

BSC14
BSC....you really look stupid posting this stuff, just stop already.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

Just saying.

vfibsux

Did you even read what I posted?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I think some people actually think it's "cool" to say that an MMO is failing. Must be the latest fashion. (NOT directed at you TC)

No idea why they would want a strictly PC Game to fail, but somehow they enjoy it in their own little twisted mind.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
spiral knights is the only good mmo because you can strafe aim
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
spiral knights is the only good mmo because you can strafe aimJigglyWiggly_
That game looks soooooo cute (and fun). But it's not an MMO is it? More like Arena Battles?
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BSC14

I think some people actually think it's "cool" to say that an MMO is failing. Must be the latest fashion. (NOT directed at you TC)

No idea why they would want a strictly PC Game to fail, but somehow they enjoy it in their own little twisted mind.

FelipeInside

Yep, I don't get it either.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

BSC14

Yep, I don't get it either.

It's not always about doing what you want to do. And the truth is rarely pleasant.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]spiral knights is the only good mmo because you can strafe aimFelipeInside
That game looks soooooo cute (and fun). But it's not an MMO is it? More like Arena Battles?

Pretty sure it's a mmorpg, I mean, I've played very little, but from what I've played I like it.

Also ye, the art style is too amazing.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

NCSOFT is the publisher of GW2, not the dev. Anet is going nowhere (I hope)

While not WoW huge, the GW franchise is still pretty damn big. If GW3 ever becomes a reality I am sure that their are tons of other publishers that would love to jump on that train.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#25 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Why am I not surprised that you posted this?
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

The layoffs were not in the guild wars staff (arenanet) . It was their publisher. The layoffs were at their settle studios, not Bellevue. The title was just misleadingish.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BSC14

Why am I not surprised that you posted this?illmatic87

Did you read what I posted? Let me quote for you:

"Im not being serious about the end of GW2. I think this is completely normal after a game with a fairly large staff is completed for the company to let some people go"

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi

[QUOTE="illmatic87"]Why am I not surprised that you posted this?BSC14

"Im not being serious about the end of GW2. I think this is completely normal after a game with a fairly large staff is completed for the company to let some people go"

so what genius idea to put it in the title of the thread anyways to coax people into typing rage replies

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="illmatic87"]Why am I not surprised that you posted this?wis3boi

so what genius idea to put it in the title of the thread anyways to coax people into typing rage replies

But the title points to exactly my point. It is exactly what you would see if this were Bioware / Blizzard ext.

And what a genius idea to reply to the topic starter without even reading what he/she actually posted.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

BSC14

But the title points to exactly my point. It is exactly what you would see if this were Bioware / Blizzard ext.

And what a genius idea to reply to the topic starter without even reading what he/she actually posted.

You're better than ionusX, no need to go down to his level, there are plenty gamebreaking flaws that keep getting worse to discuss about, as for geniuses, what other kind could there be if not Gamespot geniuses?

Title: X game sux

OP: HA, it's a joke lul!

Random GS genius: Y IZ U DUM? iz not posibleh, you deserve to burn ~insert life story~, u suck.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

NCSOFT is the publisher of GW2, not the dev. Anet is going nowhere (I hope)

While not WoW huge, the GW franchise is still pretty damn big. If GW3 ever becomes a reality I am sure that their are tons of other publishers that would love to jump on that train.

danjammer69

anet is hiring and expanding. they have also made it very clear that their trying to broker an agreement to flee ncsoft as a publisher and go to either someone else, or to self publish. they also just renovated their new office. anet sleeps on pillows stuffed with 50 dollar US tenders atm. id say their probably fine.

wildstar studio's also wants out in an effort to make wildstar a digital distributed game only.

ncsoft is going the way of the do-do bird.. jsut as basically all publishers are doomed to eventually do. as the world has discovered you dont need the game publisher to make it into game profits heaven

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BSC14

Why am I not surprised that you posted this?illmatic87

Your momma.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Its not unusual for MMORPG devs to lay people off after their project is over.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i'd like to reiterate what i already said, but no one noticed: the ones laying off are NCSoft, the publisher. ArenaNet, which are the developers, are actually HIRING people.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="BSC14"]

Just saying.

BSC14

Doesn't matter what you posted, it's that you posted it. Don't try and act all unbiased toward GW2 now, little late for that act.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] BSC....you really look stupid posting this stuff, just stop already.vfibsux

Doesn't matter what you posted, it's that you posted it. Don't try and act all unbiased toward GW2 now, little late for that act.

I really dont care what you think. Believe it or not, this was not about the many things I dislike about the most overrated game ever made known as Guild Wars 2. It was aimed at the idiots who love to go on and on about how every mmo is going to die just because the companies are letting a few people go.

Im not trying to play as unbiased..Im not unbiased but this topic was never intended to attack GW2. If I wanted to post something negative about GW2 I dont have to do it like this there is plenty to talk about so I would have just created a new thread.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="BSC14"]

BSC14

I really dont care what you think. Believe it or not, this was not about the many things I dislike about the most overrated game ever made known as Guild Wars 2. It was aimed at the idiots who love to go on and on about how every mmo is going to die just because the companies are letting a few people go.

Im not trying to play as unbiased..Im not unbiased but this topic was never intended to attack GW2. If I wanted to post something negative about GW2 I dont have to do it like this there is plenty to talk about so I would have just created a new thread.

Why do you say that?

Yes, lots of people said it was the next coming of Jesus, and I knew it wasn't.... but the game is a great MMO in it's own right.

Looks amazing (probably the best looking MMO out there), controls are great and has so many things to do in it it's unbelievable.

AND the one thing I love is that you don't have to dedicate 100 hrs x week to be part of something awesome, so it caters for both people that play little or a lot.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] Doesn't matter what you posted, it's that you posted it. Don't try and act all unbiased toward GW2 now, little late for that act.FelipeInside

Why do you say that?

Yes, lots of people said it was the next coming of Jesus, and I knew it wasn't.... but the game is a great MMO in it's own right.

Looks amazing (probably the best looking MMO out there), controls are great and has so many things to do in it it's unbelievable.

AND the one thing I love is that you don't have to dedicate 100 hrs x week to be part of something awesome, so it caters for both people that play little or a lot.

Because it's my honest opinion of the game. I don't think it's great...I think it's decent at best. I think it's probably one of the weakest mmos on the market and after everyone here went on and on about how it was going to be so amazing, I ended up being REALLY disappointed. Especially since I bought two copies. :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside
^^ Really disappointing and you bought two copies? Something not compute. Back on topic, what things didn't you like? or thought were disappointing?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

BSC14

Why do you say that?

Because it's my honest opinion of the game. I don't think it's great...I think it's decent at best. I think it's probably one of the weakest mmos on the market and after everyone here went on and on about how it was going to be so amazing, I ended up being REALLY disappointed. Especially since I bought two copies. :P

It seems most reviewers and users disagree with you, based on reviews

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wis3boi

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Why do you say that?

lostrib

he probably played solo till level 5-10 and never found a guild

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BSC14

^^ Really disappointing and you bought two copies? Something not compute. Back on topic, what things didn't you like? or thought were disappointing? FelipeInside

I preordered one for myself and one for a friend who was low on funds.

EDIT: Off the top of my head the game feels like a button masher imo. With no tank, healer, dps combat system or some other form of organized combat it's just a free for all.

No real end game to keep people coming back....at least nothing I would call endgame.

The dynamic events are really stupid imo....it's just a follow the mobs around and jump in. The whole dynamic events feel really artificial and I don't get why people find it fun.

That's just off the top of my head...I have not played it in a long time.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BSC14

he probably played solo till level 5-10 and never found a guild

wis3boi

Must have because just not liking the game seems to not be an option.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BSC14

lostrib

What does this mean to me? Like I said....overrated.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 vfibsux

Just saying.

BSC14

What you found "funny" was it is GW2 and not WoW or SWTOR, when people didn't scream about it you got your panties in a bind because you felt it wasn't fair that people would rip Blizzard or Bioware but not your arch nemesis Arenanet. This was a passive aggressive attack and you knew full well what would come of it. Stop playing Mr. Innocent. I am sorry that Guild Wars 2's success has somehow chaffed you like sand in your underwear after a day at the beach, get over it already.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ionusX

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

Just saying.

vfibsux

What you found "funny" was it is GW2 and not WoW or SWTOR, when people didn't scream about it you got your panties in a bind because you felt it wasn't fair that people would rip Blizzard or Bioware but not your arch nemesis Arenanet. This was a passive aggressive attack and you knew full well what would come of it. Stop playing Mr. Innocent. I am sorry that Guild Wars 2's success has somehow chaffed you like sand in your underwear after a day at the beach, get over it already.

his jimmies have definetely been perma-rustled

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

Just saying.

vfibsux

I don't know if you missed it or not but I already replied to you.

And you're still wrong.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BSC14

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

Just saying.

ionusX

No, they were when the game first launched maybe. But now my jimmies are fine.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] What you found "funny" was it is GW2 and not WoW or SWTOR, when people didn't scream about it you got your panties in a bind because you felt it wasn't fair that people would rip Blizzard or Bioware but not your arch nemesis Arenanet. This was a passive aggressive attack and you knew full well what would come of it. Stop playing Mr. Innocent. I am sorry that Guild Wars 2's success has somehow chaffed you like sand in your underwear after a day at the beach, get over it already.

BSC14

No, they were when the game first launched maybe. But now my jimmies are fine.

once your jimmies are perma rustled they never un-rustle.. which is EXACTLY why you made this thread

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ Really disappointing and you bought two copies? Something not compute. Back on topic, what things didn't you like? or thought were disappointing? BSC14

I preordered one for myself and one for a friend who was low on funds.

EDIT: Off the top of my head the game feels like a button masher imo. With no tank, healer, dps combat system or some other form of organized combat it's just a free for all.

No real end game to keep people coming back....at least nothing I would call endgame.

The dynamic events are really stupid imo....it's just a follow the mobs around and jump in. The whole dynamic events feel really artificial and I don't get why people find it fun.

That's just off the top of my head...I have not played it in a long time.

I have to agree about some of the combat. It does feel more like a Free for All than organized. I remember playing WoW and SWTOR, the combat could get hectic but each person in the party had their roles, in GW2 it's like "let's just hit hit hit till he comes down". About the endgame. GW2 isn't about endgame, it's about the journey. I know that sounds cliche but it really is like that. You get to go on quests, vistas, events etc. The Dynamic events are pretty fun. It's nice that you don't have to be max level with latest gear and raiding to be able to fight a huge monster with 30 other players. Artificial you say? well, it's a video game remember? don't really know what other way you could do them. One thing I have noticed about GW2, it's 2 games in one, and both free (PvE and PvP)