No video with PCIE cards ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

The latest AMD driver appears to have bricked my 7850, the dam thing won't show any video and its fan won't spin.

After I restarted my pc following the driver update it spun like a jet for a second then no video.

Using my 5450 now just to get the pc working again but keep getting BSOD so I'm restoring now to remove the shitty driver to get video back.

**** you AMD right at Xmas time with the steam sales in stuck with a freaking 5450.

Well there is a 4890 I have in another build my parents use, they wouldn't notice of I swapped it with the 5450 as they only check emails.

.God dam it im so pissed

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I would be too but that's really strange.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thehig1

Can't even get into safe mode or restore it, Windows keeps saying that my partition is locked I line solutions not worked.

Now I'm reformatting

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thehig1

And my cd drive sounds like heavy industry equipment too gotta listen to that for next fucking 40 minutes....its 2 40 am here I'm due in work at 8am in the morning.

However I won't be able to sleep until I no my pc at least boots to Windows and I just need to find a gpu.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BSC14

Damn man, sorry to hear that.

That's strange though....all you did was install the drivers?

Are you sure you installed the correct ones because that sounds kind of crazy.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thehig1

@BSC14 said:

Got my PC to show video now via the on board graphics.

Nothing works in the PCie Slot now, the 7850 powers but no video

My 5450 shows no video

My gt 210 shows no video

My 4890 shows no video

With any of these of ~GPU in the PC I get one normal post beep followed on by two short beeps then a black screen, no bios.

I hope the PCie slot on my Motherboard isn't damaged ?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BSC14

@thehig1 said:

@BSC14 said:

My 5450 shows no video

My gt 210 shows no video

My 4890 shows no video

With any of these of ~GPU in the PC I get one normal post beep followed on by two short beeps then a black screen, no bios.

I'm not expert but I can't imagine how video drivers could have damaged your pci slot.

I wonder if installing the mobo drivers or flashing the bios to the latest might fix it? Sounds like the bios may have gotten whacked out? I'm just throwing things out there.....

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thehig1

@BSC14 said:

@thehig1 said:

@BSC14 said:

My 5450 shows no video

My gt 210 shows no video

My 4890 shows no video

I'm not expert but I can't imagine how video drivers could have damaged your pci slot.

I wonder if installing the mobo drivers or flashing the bios to the latest might fix it? Sounds like the bios may have gotten whacked out? I'm just throwing things out there.....

Bet the driver upgrade was probably just a coincidence.

Still the same, looking online now no one seems to have had this issue, other issues people normally find there GPU is fucked, mine are ok just checked them all on another system even the 7850 runs on it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If this happened to me, my move back to Intel will be sooner than I thought. What is the motherboard?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto: Its an Asus m5a78l-m USB 3.0

@Chatch09 said:

I had a problem almost like this about a month ago, display when blank and fans on both GPUs shot up to 100% but I was just browsing the internet. Turned out that my mobo power wasnt plugged in all the way so I double checked all connections and that solved it but this definitely sounds like a software error. Have you ran any anti-malware or anti-virus yet? If not you should, sometimes that will clear up problems like that, my laptop usb ports stopped working all of a sudden one day and after days of trying to find solutions I just randomly ran Malwarebytes and they started working again.

Its not malware had to reformat the harddirve to get the PC to Boot windows again, so its got a clean install of Windows 8 on it now.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thehig1

Hopefully this computer shop by mine is open I'll get a new mobo from there today.

Wouldn't mind a new mobo anyway I'll get a full atx instead of micro atx...could crossfire my 7850 then and wait for amds new gpus in the meantime.

Assuming my xfx 750w 80+ bronze is enough psu for it

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@thehig1 said:

The latest AMD driver appears to have bricked my 7850, the dam thing won't show any video and its fan won't spin.

After I restarted my pc following the driver update it spun like a jet for a second then no video.

Using my 5450 now just to get the pc working again but keep getting BSOD so I'm restoring now to remove the shitty driver to get video back.

**** you AMD right at Xmas time with the steam sales in stuck with a freaking 5450.

Well there is a 4890 I have in another build my parents use, they wouldn't notice of I swapped it with the 5450 as they only check emails.

.God dam it im so pissed

Download the beta driver and install it (14.12.2)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thehig1

@PredatorRules: its the latest driver that screwed my PC.

Also I can't download any drivers for it as my PC won't boot from the video card anyway it will only boot from the onboard graphics.

When plugged into the video card I can't even see a bios screen, with the gpu plugged in I can remove the hdmi cable from the gpu to the onboard and video will show.

Surely that points to the pcie slot being fucked.

As I said other graphics cards won't show video on my system both nvidia and amd.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

Its not malware had to reformat the harddirve to get the PC to Boot windows again, so its got a clean install of Windows 8 on it now.

A boot sector virus was pretty common during the 90's. However, it would be highly unusual for a PC to be infected by one nowadays unless you don't use antivirus software (realtime protection). I use Avast! and do periodic boot-up scans (before Windows boots up).

I have the same exact motherboard as yours. So, this thread has me on alert even though mine seems to be purring along quite nicely. Just curious.... Do you have Plug n Play OS enabled or disabled in the BIOS?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@thehig1 said:

A boot sector virus was pretty common during the 90's. However, it would be highly unusual for a PC to be infected by one nowadays unless you don't use antivirus software (realtime protection). I use Avast! and do periodic boot-up scans (before Windows boots up).

I have the same exact motherboard as yours. So, this thread has me on alert even though mine seems to be purring along quite nicely. Just curious.... Do you have Plug n Play OS enabled or disabled in the BIOS?

I have what ever the set up defaults are.

Good news its working again, I have no idea why I didn't do anything different just put my 7850 back in my PC and it booted ok.

I did notice the BIOS thought it was 2002, maybe something to do with me resetting the CMOS over and over.

Will see how it runs next few days to decide what to do.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

I did notice the BIOS thought it was 2002, maybe something to do with me resetting the CMOS over and over.

Now that you mention it, I had the same thing happen to the (785) Gigabyte motherboard of my old Phenom II X3 720BE PC (now my kid's PC). The only difference is I couldn't get the onboard AMD HD 4200 to work. Only PCI-E video cards worked.

I had to default to the onboard graphics because I put its (excellent) Thermaltake PSU on another PC and subbed a crap Logisys PSU instead.

What's weird is I also saw the same 2002 year on mine.

Edit:

A theory I have is back in 2002, AMD had to step in because many AMD PCs had Via chipsets which were crap. I had two PC's with Via chipsets : Soyo and Abit. Both motherboards died within two years. Guess what? So did both companies.

AMD had the most reliable chipsets at the time. But, they were rare to find and prized by those who had them. I still have my ASUS A7M266 from 2001 and it still works great. It outlasted my PCs which had different chipsets (Via and even Nvidia nForce 4).

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto: Back to square one again, rebooted to finish windows updates and it wont show video on the 7850, or my spare 4890 or GT210.

Got video back via my on board graphics, when I do that I get a message from my Bios asking me to restore settings, I press F1 to do so and back to windows I go.

You think this is the motherboard, in particular the PCie slot ?

Or could it be the PSU, my PSU is an XFX 750W 80+ bronze pro, decent enough PSU and the system always seems stable. Thinking its unlikely to be the PSU.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

Got video back via my on board graphics, when I do that I get a message from my Bios asking me to restore settings, I press F1 to do so and back to windows I go.

Does the BIOS keep prompting you to press F1? There may be a hardware error somewhere. The last time I saw something similar was when the original fan of my old GF4 Ti-4200 quit spinning.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@thehig1 said:

Does the BIOS keep prompting you to press F1? There may be a hardware error somewhere. The last time I saw something similar was when the original fan of my old GF4 Ti-4200 quit spinning.

No only after I've gotten my 7850 or 4890 to do a max fan spin on boot, when I take the GPU out and boot with on-board I will get that prompt.

Restarted several times leaving it connected as on board and its fine

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thehig1

Also when I go to device manager and look at system devices there is no mention of PCI express, it should show up there shouldn't it even if nothing is plugged into the slot

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

Also when I go to device manager and look at system devices there is no mention of PCI express, it should show up there shouldn't it even if nothing is plugged into the slot

I checked the manual and the only reference to graphics settings involve setting the primary graphics.

For the PCI-E 16x, it should be set to GF0-GPP-IGFX-PCI. Not much else aside from frame buffer size.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

Also I can't download any drivers for it as my PC won't boot from the video card anyway it will only boot from the onboard graphics.

When plugged into the video card I can't even see a bios screen, with the gpu plugged in I can remove the hdmi cable from the gpu to the onboard and video will show.

As I said other graphics cards won't show video on my system both nvidia and amd.

Use your onboard VGA plug to plug your monitor to integrated GPU. EDIT: I see that you already do so and everything works well =)

If you said that beta driver fucked your PC up, well you kinda agreed to do so:

"

Description:

Download our latest beta driver and get a preview of what we're currently working on.

Note! This driver is provided "AS IS" and under the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement provided therewithin.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thehig1

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

Use your onboard VGA plug to plug your monitor to integrated GPU. EDIT: I see that you already do so and everything works well =)

"

Description:

Download our latest beta driver and get a preview of what we're currently working on.

Note! This driver is provided "AS IS" and under the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement provided therewithin.

I think it was coincidence and the failure was not related to the beta drivers, pretty sure its my PCIE slot

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@thehig1 said:

I checked the manual and the only reference to graphics settings involve setting the primary graphics.

For the PCI-E 16x, it should be set to GF0-GPP-IGFX-PCI. Not much else aside from frame buffer size.

I shouldnt have to touch that should I

Setting Bios to default should be enough to boot with PCIE card in isn't it, and the fact its not listed on device manager, the slots gotta be screwed.

Guess I will find out when I get my new motherboard.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

"

Description:

I think it was coincidence and the failure was not related to the beta drivers, pretty sure its my PCIE slot

You have a point here, but FYI if you agree to go beta on something even if it's a game or a program (especially driver) and as a result of it some part died, you've agreed to test it and responsible for your own loss or damage.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@thehig1 said:

Setting Bios to default should be enough to boot with PCIE card in isn't it, and the fact its not listed on device manager, the slots gotta be screwed.

You might want to check anyway and see if GF0 is first or not. Some motherboards allow booting up of both onboard and PCI-E graphics while others allow one graphics set and disable the rest.

With GF0 (PCI-E 16x) first, the Radeon HD 3000 graphics (IGFX) do not show up in Windows Device Manager. Only my GTX 770 shows up.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thehig1

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

"

Description:

You have a point here, but FYI if you agree to go beta on something even if it's a game or a program (especially driver) and as a result of it some part died, you've agreed to test it and responsible for your own loss or damage.

My PC crashed while playing Euro Truck Simulator, frame rate went to about 2fps then PC restarted, got an error from windows saying the catalyst driver recovered from failure.

I checked for latest drivers to fix, and that happened.

I think the original crash was the PCIE port failing not the driver or GPU.

My 7850 is running in another PC fine now, gonna get another motherboard and another 7850 as well soon as possible.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@thehig1 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@thehig1 said:

You might want to check anyway and see if GF0 is first or not. Some motherboards allow booting up of both onboard and PCI-E graphics while others allow one graphics set and disable the rest.

With GF0 (PCI-E 16x) first, the Radeon HD 3000 graphics (IGFX) do not show up in Windows Device Manager. Only my GTX 770 shows up.

were do I check that, cant see anywere in the BIOS?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

were do I check that, cant see anywere in the BIOS?

You can check in the BIOS:

Advanced-->Chipset-->Internal Graphics

The first item in Internal Graphics is Primary Video Controller:

If you have a PCI-E 16x video card installed, you should make sure it's set to read GFX0 first:

Primary Video Controller: [GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI]

where:

GFX0 = PCI-E 16x slot

GPP = PCI-E 1x slot

IGFX = onboard graphics chip

PCI = PCI slot

If it already has GFX0 first and your motherboard is still crapping out whenever a PCI-E 16x card is used, then the slot may be fried.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto: just checked it was set to GFXO like it should be, its really pointing to slot being fried.

Getting a sabertoooth 990 tomorrow, and ordered a 2nd 7850 as it was only £80.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: just checked it was set to GFXO like it should be, its really pointing to slot being fried.

Ouch. I hope my own M5A78L-M/USB3 holds out. I run it at default speeds/voltage/settings and it seems fine. If the PCI-E 16x slot dies, I'll use the occasion as an excuse to move back to Intel.

I'm really tempted to buy an Intel hexacore. ☺

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@thehig1 said:

Ouch. I hope my own M5A78L-M/USB3 holds out. I run it at default speeds/voltage/settings and it seems fine. If the PCI-E 16x slot dies, I'll use the occasion as an excuse to move back to Intel.

I'm really tempted to buy an Intel hexacore. ☺

I ran at default too, think I have just been unlucky the motherboard generally has good reviews.

I wont be moving to intel yet, I'd rather add GPU power to my system as the 8350 doesn't struggle with anything, and I have good cooling and can over clock to 4.6ghz stable.

Will pick up at sabertooh 990 and antoher 7850 to crossfire :D

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GeryGo  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

"

Description:

My PC crashed while playing Euro Truck Simulator, frame rate went to about 2fps then PC restarted, got an error from windows saying the catalyst driver recovered from failure.

I checked for latest drivers to fix, and that happened.

I think the original crash was the PCIE port failing not the driver or GPU.

My 7850 is running in another PC fine now, gonna get another motherboard and another 7850 as well soon as possible.

I wouldn't Crossfire those GPUs, just buy a brand new GPU.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thehig1

I don't have £250 for a 970 right now, from what ive read its a decent performance gain.

It's the 2gb factory overclocked 1000mhz version .

Another £80 is not much.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GeryGo  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

I don't have £250 for a 970 right now, from what ive read its a decent performance gain.

Another £80 is not much.

Ok, but make sure you've got enough PSU capacity, 2x 7850 take 450Watts alone, don't forget the CPU and all other parts.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thehig1

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

Another £80 is not much.

Ok, but make sure you've got enough PSU capacity, 2x 7850 take 450Watts alone, don't forget the CPU and all other parts.

its a 750w XFX PRO 80+ bronze

is that enough?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GeryGo  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@thehig1 said:

Another £80 is not much.

its a 750w XFX PRO 80+ bronze

is that enough?

Yep, you're good to go, that PSU is Corssire/SLI ready to go with 4x PCIe 6+2 connectors

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thehig1

@PredatorRules: Awesome :D

Its worth it for a short term gain, then in about a year I'll sell both cards for a 970 or possibly the new AMD card if its good.

Just gotta fit this new motherboard first and get that single 7850 running again, it does work on another PC like so should be ok.

Unfortunately the shop I'll get my motherboard from is closed with no information on when they will re open, weather it be next working day or in the new year.

For now I'm gaming with a Radeon HD 3000 chip set, playing fallout vegas on low settings 720p and getting about 20fps, living the dream baby ;D

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

@PredatorRules: Awesome :D

Its worth it for a short term gain, then in about a year I'll sell both cards for a 970 or possibly the new AMD card if its good.

Just gotta fit this new motherboard first and get that single 7850 running again, it does work on another PC like so should be ok.

Unfortunately the shop I'll get my motherboard from is closed with no information on when they will re open, weather it be next working day or in the new year.

For now I'm gaming with a Radeon HD 3000 chip set, playing fallout vegas on low settings 720p and getting about 20fps, living the dream baby ;D

LOL, well you play with what you can - real gamer never quit - even in hazardous enviroment

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thehig1

I bought this should be delivered by Tuesday, hopefully it gets me back on my 7850 and I can play fallout properly.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thehig1

Got annoyed with playing Fallout at 20fps as it threw a fit when I was in lucky 38 casino fighting the bots, dipped to about 5fps lol.

I tired my 7850 again without doing everything different and its booted again, installed the latest driver and it restarted fine and I played Fallout Vegas at locked 60fps and ultra settings ?

I've got an ASrock 990FX on the way, guess it makes sense to still fit it anyway, I still think something is up with that PCIe slot

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jun_aka_pekto

@thehig1 said:

Got annoyed with playing Fallout at 20fps as it threw a fit when I was in lucky 38 casino fighting the bots, dipped to about 5fps lol.

I tired my 7850 again without doing everything different and its booted again, installed the latest driver and it restarted fine and I played Fallout Vegas at locked 60fps and ultra settings ?

I've got an ASrock 990FX on the way, guess it makes sense to still fit it anyway, I still think something is up with that PCIe slot

At least now you have a backup motherboard. ;)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thehig1

@jun_aka_pekto: I guess so, also looking forward to crossfiring my 7850 got another one from CEX for £60 bargain