Laptop making grinding noise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sm3llyd3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 sm3llyd3c
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

Right, I bought I being someone else) some HP laptop with Windows 7 on the day it was release, the model shouldn't really matter. It's not a gaming laptop, but it can run WoW and other similar games without any slowdown on medium settings. However, I have been playing alot of it and havent really been keeping the laptop clean. I've been playing it just on my lap and at an angle, with my leg covering the fan hole thing. Today, someone came to my door and I moved the laptop off of me and it started making a REALLY loud grinding noise like RRRRRRRRR so I shut it down using the power button. when I came back after, I turned it on and the grinding started again, but went after a minute or two. now, my fan seems a little louder than before and something is making ticking noises inside the machine. It's only a month old so any ideas what it could have been? I have a feeling it was one of my long hairs caught in the fan but I couldnt get to the fan to check, the back panels only showed RAM and a big rectangele thing covered in black plastic stuff. Also, performance seems to be slightly down but maybe it's just me nitpicking. Please reply ASAP, i am using the laptop now and if it screws up, I wont be able to answer xD

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
That noise was probably the fan. It shouldn't have any direct impact on performance unless it is no longer functioning properly, which then it would cause the laptop to overheat.
sm3llyd3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sm3llyd3c

Any idea what I could do? I've turned in on this morning and the noise has come back, and hasn't gone this time. I tried getting to the fan but there are no back panels that I can remove to get to it.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts

Any idea what I could do? I've turned in on this morning and the noise has come back, and hasn't gone this time. I tried getting to the fan but there are no back panels that I can remove to get to it.

sm3llyd3c

If it is still under warranty, I suppose you could take it in, but otherwise there really isn't much you can do if you can't gain access to the fan. There is probably a method, but it may be fairly difficult.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

if it is no longer under warranty then you should open it up and make sure no wires are touching the fan, i dont know if this will help, but if you are really concerned try an external fan...

sm3llyd3c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sm3llyd3c

I've noticed that if I tilt the laptop, the sound goes, whether it's the fan cutting out or if the obsctruction is being moved away, I don't know. And I tried unscrewing everything and I can't access the fan. I hate laptops. Only thing is, if I take it in, they will probably keep it for about 3 weeks to repair it, and I can't wait that long for it to come back.