LAN gaming over internet [VPN setup guide using n2n]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hassan272 (22 posts) -

This guide makes use of the programs available from an open-source project called "ntop n2n".

Official site:-
http://www.ntop.org/n2n

n2n allows a person to create a VPN connection between two or more computers. For a computer to connect to another computer, an "edge" executable is required to be run on each computer. Any number of computers can be connected to each other, but for all the connections to take place, one computer needs to run the "supernode" executable. Now for the connections to take place, the computers running the "edge" first tries to connect to the computer running the "supernode", after which once the exchange of information between all the computers running the "edge" is completed through the "supernode", the "supernode" is no longer needed, and the connections between the computers running the "edge" is done directly from computer to computer without any involvement from the "supernode".

So the smallest n2n network is created using only two computers, where the first computer runs both the "supernode" and the "edge". And the second computer runs only the "edge".

This allows a person to play any PC game online, by either hosting or joining a LAN game over this VPN network, but the connection between computers is done over the internet, instead of on a LAN.

First of all, download all the files using the links at the bottom of the guide.The files are :-
pictures.rar
n2n v1.3.3.rar
n2n Gui v0.34.rar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have included both the n2n edge and the n2n supernode in the compressed file "n2n v1.3.3.rar".

These files are taken from the official Win32 installer of "n2n v1.3.3" which was released on 7-March-2009.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two free n2n supernode's that i know of. You can use any one of them, that is if you do not want to run a supernode of your own.
-------------------------------------------------------
ip address : 88.86.108.50
port : 82
[hosted by http://www.vpnhosting.cz ]
-------------------------------------------------------
ip address : 217.172.180.69
port : 82
[hosted by EPC Gaming]

==================================================

Steps to run the supernode:-

1. Extract the compressed file "n2n v1.3.3.rar"
2. Go to Command Prompt
3. Go the directory where "supernode.exe" is located
4. type the following :-
supernode.exe -v -l xxxxx
[where "xxxxx" is a port number]

For example,
supernode.exe -v -l 6666
[where "6666" is the port number]

The below is the procedure inorder to connect to a n2n supernode.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1:
download OpenVPN installer,
http://openvpn.net/release/openvpn-2.1.1-install.exe

Once the download is complete, start up the setup file, but only install the TAP adapter.
Also uncheck all the checkboxes except for the TAP adapter.
[refer to "OpenVPN setup.JPG"]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 2:

In this step, you can either do,
Step 2(a), GUI version of the "edge"
(OR)
Step 2(b), console version of the "edge"

-------------------------------------------------
Step 2(a):

GUI version:-

Extract the compressed file "n2n Gui v0.34.rar", install the program.

But during the installation of "n2n Gui", uncheck the checkbox called "Launch tap installer" at the end of the installation, since the OpenVPN installer would have installed the TAP adapter for you.
[refer to "n2n Gui setup.JPG"]

Enter the "supernode IP" and "supernode port" in the "n2n Gui" window. You can use any one of the supernode IP's that I have mentioned above.

As for the "Assigned IP", you can enter any valid IPv4 address that you want.
As for the "Group name", you can enter any name that you want.
As for the "Password", you can enter any password that you want.

Refer to "n2n Gui window.JPG" for an example.

Step 2(b):

console version:-

Extract the compressed file "n2n v1.3.3.rar".

I will use an example to better explain the switches involved for the edge executable,

For example, enter the following in a Command Prompt,
edge.exe -c MyGameServer -a 15.16.17.1 -k myPassword -l 88.86.108.50:82

The below is an explanation comparing the meaning of each switch,
-c is the community/group name for your network
-a is the "Assigned IP" for the computer running an "edge"
-k is the password of your network
-l is the "supernode IP" and "supernode port", separated by a colon

The below is an explanation comparing the meaning of each switch to that of "n2n Gui":-
-c is the same as "Group name" field of "n2n Gui"
-a is the same as "Assigned IP" field of "n2n Gui"
-k is the same as "Password" field of "n2n Gui"
-l is the same as "supernode IP" and "supernode port" field of "n2n Gui"

NOTE :

If you are running a n2n supernode of your own,
you can use the external IP address of the PC where the supernode is running, along with the port number that the supernode is running on.

Now, if you want to play a LAN game over the internet with any of your friends,
all your friends need to use the same "supernode IP" and "supernode port" that you are using.
He also needs to use the same "Group name" and "Password" that you are using.
But as for the "Assigned IP", if you are using "15.16.17.1", your friend can use "15.16.17.2" or "15.16.17.3" or any other IP address that is not already being used.

Also everyone must have a unique "Assigned IP", it is important that every one must have the first three sections of the "Assigned IP" address the same. The first three sections of this IP address is known as the network address. Only the last section of the "Assigned IP" address can be different. That is values ranging from 1 to 254.

Step 3:

Once your own supernode is set up, or instead if you decide not to run a supernode, you can use one of the two free supernodes, and once the edge executable is running on the PC that you plan to play a LAN game online, try to ping the other computer's "Assigned IP" that is running the edge executable to see if the connection between the two computers is working. If you got a result for the ping, then everything seems to be working perfectly.

So just start up any multiplayer game that you want, and then either create or host a new LAN game.
The other PC's running the edge executable will then be able to see the newly created LAN game, and will then be able to join the game. It's that simple.

Quick Start guide:-

If you have two PC's in a LAN,

go to Command Prompt on Computer No.1, and type,
edge.exe -c MyGameServer -a 15.16.17.1 -k myPassword -l 88.86.108.50:82

then go to Command Prompt on Computer No.2, and type,
edge.exe -c MyGameServer -a 15.16.17.2 -k myPassword -l 88.86.108.50:82

"88.86.108.50:82" is the free supernode from "vpnhosting.cz"

Then change "MyGameServer" to any other name that you want, since another person might be trying out this guide, the community name would then be the same and cause a conflict. Besides that, enter the rest of it exactly as I have mentioned above and the VPN connection between the two computers will then be set up. You can then try to ping each computer.

For example,
from Computer No.1, type in a new Command Prompt window,
ping 15.16.17.2

and from Computer No.2, type in a new Command Prompt window,
ping 15.16.17.1

The ping between each computer should work. Try making a shared folder on Computer No.1 and see if Computer No.2 can access that folder. If the folder is accessible from Computer No.2, your VPN is configured properly.

Also i would like to see people post the following:-
1. Average ping between each PC you are connecting to
2. Whether the computer you are connecting to is in the same country or not
3. Are all the computers you are connecting to using the same ISP
4. The internet connection speed of each computer [download/upload]

Attachments:-

[n2n Gui v0.34.rar]

http://uploading.com/files/54ccfb83/n2n%2BGui%2Bv0.34.rar/

[n2n v1.3.3.rar]

http://uploading.com/files/f29cf25d/n2n%2Bv1.3.3.rar/

[pictures.rar]

http://uploading.com/files/5178de87/pictures.rar/

#2 Posted by KHAndAnime (13091 posts) -
*cough* Hamachi?
#3 Posted by hassan272 (22 posts) -

Alternate links to the same guide,

link 1:-

http://www.sat-times.com/showthread.php?t=57920

link 2:-

www.epcgaming.com/smf/index.php/topic,14735.0.html

#4 Posted by hassan272 (22 posts) -

Hamachi doesn't work with every game, since Hamachi doesn't assign you a Class-C IP address. Some games end up having problems because of this.

The above guide can make any game run over the internet without any problems.

It's a lot easier to setup, you just enter one command line and your VPN connection is up and running.

I have also read that Source games don't work well with Hamachi.

#5 Posted by MrUnSavory1 (777 posts) -

Trolling

#6 Posted by BoriquasBoy (6 posts) -
Alright.... so I've decided to try this even though it seemed complicated at first. But I'm having a bit of trouble. When you say that you and your friends have to have the same three numbers in the ip does that mean that you have to change it to something random? or do our actual ip addresses have to be almost the same? Another thing is whenever I try to open edge.exe it flashes open something that looks like a command prompt and quickly closes. Would you give me more details on ipv4 ip addresses and the questions I've asked above.
#8 Posted by BoriquasBoy (6 posts) -
Supernode.exe and Edge.exe both will not open.
#9 Posted by BoriquasBoy (6 posts) -
sorry for triple posts but.. I've tried opening edge from both http://uploading.com/files/C6DF66HO/n2n Gui + n2n supernode + pictures.rar.html and http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahe5e1h/n/n2n_v1_3_3_files_rar downloads, still just flashes open and quickly closes.
#11 Posted by BoriquasBoy (6 posts) -
would we have to do the first part of the quick start guide if we were using n2n gui?
#12 Posted by BoriquasBoy (6 posts) -
command prompt is touchy and you have to put everything in perfectly... I can't tell if there's any spaces in the command prompt code you're supposed to be typing in. could you tell me if there are?
#13 Posted by BoriquasBoy (6 posts) -
so I type it into the command prompt and all it says is edge.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
#14 Posted by bobdynlan (3 posts) -
Let's make it simpler: If you have installed the TAP adapter (latest from http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html) and have edge.exe and supernode.exe, you can use my install.bat batch file that will make almost a "portable" version with less commands to worry about. By default, it will use one of your external IPs as a private supernode (recommended for privacy) but you can easily choose another adress (one of the n2n supernodes). Follow the instructions inside, it will generate a server.cmd file (that will launch a private supernode server) and some client_x.cmd files (that will launch the edge.exe client). One of you will run the server.cmd and a client_x.cmd, and the others a different client_x.cmd file, each. Just send the appropriate files to them. You can run install again to refresh the files if your IP changes. Copy the following into a file install.bat in the same folder supernode.exe and edge.exe resides: removed. bad format. use download link DOWNLOAD it from http://DROP.IO/bobdynlan/asset/install-zip Thank you to hassan272 for mentioning this simple, free, fast solution for VPN. And offcourse a big thumbs up to the developers of n2n. PS: GAMESPOT, wysiwyg editing is broken, ['code'] tag creates garbage (at least in Firefox and IE8 running on Windows 7)
#15 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23352 posts) -

Hamachi doesn't work with every game, since Hamachi doesn't assign you a Class-C IP address. Some games end up having problems because of this.

The above guide can make any game run over the internet without any problems.

It's a lot easier to setup, you just enter one command line and your VPN connection is up and running.

I have also read that Source games don't work well with Hamachi.

hassan272

Games will not care if you have an A,B, or C network... well any properly coded one yes.

Also games sometimes only look at the first network interface, (GOW)

#16 Posted by bobdynlan (3 posts) -

Games will not care if you have an A,B, or C network... well any properly coded one yes.

JigglyWiggly_
Most games worthly of playing with friends over network DO require a class C adress. And Hamachi is not what it used to be since was bought by LogMeIn. Does not even work 100% in Windows 7 (for now). Bashing a simple solution like n2n is like bashing a batch file that cleans your temporary folder just because... it does not have enough eye candy, and ads and spyware to go with it like some Cleanup tool floating around the Internet :P Good point on the first network interface. (Network Connections, Menu->Advanced, Advanced Settings, Adapters and Bindings, use the arrows to move the prefferred adaptor in front).
#17 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23352 posts) -
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

bobdynlan
Most games worthly of playing with friends over network DO require a class C adress. And Hamachi is not what it used to be since was bought by LogMeIn. Does not even work 100% in Windows 7 (for now). Bashing a simple solution like n2n is like bashing a batch file that cleans your temporary folder just because... it does not have enough eye candy, and ads and spyware to go with it like some Cleanup tool floating around the Internet :P Good point on the first network interface. (Network Connections, Menu->Advanced, Advanced Settings, Adapters and Bindings, use the arrows to move the prefferred adaptor in front).

I have had no troubles with almost any game with hamachi. And since hamachi uses class A addresses, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Games shouldn't enforce classes.
#18 Posted by Tutodz (6 posts) -

Hi, I have completed setting all directions. and as a result I can sharring files over the internet, but I can not find the games when I creat a LAN game. how to do it? thanks.

#19 Posted by kraken2109 (12936 posts) -

4 YEAR OLD NECRO

#20 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23352 posts) -

i don't even remember if what i wrote was right

much brain