KoTOR or Mass Effect?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acidrain1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Acidrain1988
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

Hey guys,

I only got time and money to buy one of the these games and I cant decide, I would love to play through both the old KoTOR games because of the new MMO coming out, then again mass effect will be much more plesent on the eyes and mass effect 2 is coming out soon.

What are your opinions? also is KoTOR on steam? I cant find it.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I have never played KoTOR... So my vote goes to Mass Effect...

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Both are really really great games. Get both.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Both are really really great games. Get both. ferrari2001
What he said. Although there is more actual role-playing in KOTOR.
Acidrain1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Acidrain1988
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

it looks like KoTOR isnt on steam, so I think ill get mass effect for now, maybe down the road closer to the MMO I will ebay to get KoTOR.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
I kind of found Mass Effect to be a bit tedious at times - the side missions were dull and the main story was ok. I enjoyed KoTOR 1 & 2 more then I did with Mass Effect. I think they're both worth playing, but if you have to make a choice for one over the other, I'd go with KoTOR.
dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

It would be an extremely hard decision for me,because they are my favourite RPG's of all time. So I'd go for both.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

KOTOR hands down.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Huge fan of both games :)

deathseeker41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deathseeker41
Member since 2004 • 819 Posts
If your rig can run Mass Effect without any lag, then go ahead and get that. If not, the KOTOR series is still one of the best RPGs in my book.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Hey guys,

I only got time and money to buy one of the these games and I cant decide, I would love to play through both the old KoTOR games because of the new MMO coming out, then again mass effect will be much more plesent on the eyes and mass effect 2 is coming out soon.

What are your opinions? also is KoTOR on steam? I cant find it.

Acidrain1988

I would go with Mass Effect, I liked the combat a lot more and you can customize a lot more about your Shepperd character in Mass Effect. KOTOR is a good game though.

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

got a vote for both here as well, those games are just too fun lol, cant wait until i get my new vid card then I can play mass effect on the PC. :D

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#13 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Mass Effect, first choice. KoToR is a really good game too but Mass Effect has a much more better storyline plus you feel like it's like a movie.

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

both are 2 of my favorite WRPG's ever. but i gotta go with KOTOR on this one. feels a lot more emotional. it's also 30 hours whereas Mass Effect is 21 hours, sidequests and all.

shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

That is one of the toughest choices. KoTOR was the game that got me into serious RPG's and is one of the my favorite games of all time. (along with KoTOR II)Mass Effect is also one of my favorite games, it has a great main story, dialouge, and combat, but as mentioned above, has horrible side quests. They are both great games so either way you can't go wrong.

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#16 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

Mass Effect.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Kotor is longer and actually has an ending. Mass Effect didn't feel like a complete game after I had beaten it. It was building up and building up and the ending was anything that I had expected. It was basically a "to be continued" which left me feeling cheated because bioware had always finished it's games previously, not released them as episodes, which is exactly what Mass Effect 2 is going to be. Mass Effect will give you 30 hours of gameplay. It's more intense and requires almost no thinking, just run and gunning. KOTOR lasts upwards of 80 hours and has a great interwoven story between your party.

It really depends what kind of experience you're in for, and how big a time sink you want. I also would never replay Mass Effect because your choices don't really change the story much afaik. You get to choose how much of your own party you let die (or kill yourself), and which ones die. Well that's the extent of it to which I remember. In KOTOR you can easily get 2 playthroughs without anything feeling old, because of the light/dark ways of completing quests.

Raffix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Raffix
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

I really like both of them! Mass effect is really fun... but i would have to go with KoTOR or if you can Both

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Well Kotor is around 14$ and Mass Effect is 19$.

Personally, I would go with Kotor but don't miss on Mass Effect. Both games are very well done.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

KoTOR and then Mass Effect

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
Kotor is a classic just play it.
LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

Kotor is longer and actually has an ending. Mass Effect didn't feel like a complete game after I had beaten it. It was building up and building up and the ending was anything that I had expected. It was basically a "to be continued" which left me feeling cheated because bioware had always finished it's games previously, not released them as episodes, which is exactly what Mass Effect 2 is going to be. Mass Effect will give you 30 hours of gameplay. It's more intense and requires almost no thinking, just run and gunning. KOTOR lasts upwards of 80 hours and has a great interwoven story between your party.

It really depends what kind of experience you're in for, and how big a time sink you want. I also would never replay Mass Effect because your choices don't really change the story much afaik. You get to choose how much of your own party you let die (or kill yourself), and which ones die. Well that's the extent of it to which I remember. In KOTOR you can easily get 2 playthroughs without anything feeling old, because of the light/dark ways of completing quests.

True_Sounds

mass effect is not 30 hours. i did every possible sidequest and only got up to 22 hours.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

LeGoofyGoober

mass effect is not 30 hours. i did every possible sidequest and only got up to 22 hours.

That sounds about right. I did all but 6 side quests and got up to 17 hours.

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

True_Sounds

Mass Effect will be a trilogy, so the first two games will be kind of like a to be continued.

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

I'm not sure, KOTOR's gameplay is, well dated. KOTOR has the best role-playing experience however suffers from being a modified turn based. Mass Effect has better gameplay but does not have a deep story and characters comapred to KOTOR. So pick role playing exprience or gameplay?

OnlyKurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OnlyKurial
Member since 2009 • 1102 Posts

Mass Effect even though the game is pretty short.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

I'm not sure, KOTOR's gameplay is, well dated. KOTOR has the best role-playing experience however suffers from being a modified turn based. Mass Effect has better gameplay but does not have a deep story and characters comapred to KOTOR. So pick role playing exprience or gameplay?

Gamerz1569
I'd have to agree here. Not to say it isn't a great game, but I just started playing KOTOR again after finishing Mass Effect, and the actual combat gameplay of Mass Effect just felt smoother and less abrupt than that in KOTOR. But I loved KOTOR's storyline, and it managed to get the Star Wars setting down almost perfectly imo.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
KOTOR...
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I have never played KoTOR... So my vote goes to Mass Effect...

Squeets

Then why even post in this thread?

To the OP, I concur with many who've posted that KOTOR is a classic. Honestly I vote for both, but Mass Effect is obviously the much newer title so only go with KOTOR if you don't mind playing games from yester-year. I don't agree that Mass Effect is short, however. I got more than the 22 hours you guys are talking about and the first thing I wanted to do after beating it was play it again because it really bears replay.

Also bear in mind that you're supposed to be able to carry your clear data over to ME2 when it comes out.

KOTOR and Mass Effect I hold in pretty equal esteem, with KOTOR 2 and Jade Empire just behind those titles (also pretty good).

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I'd have to agree here. Not to say it isn't a great game, but I just started playing KOTOR again after finishing Mass Effect, and the actual combat gameplay of Mass Effect just felt smoother and less abrupt than that in KOTOR. But I loved KOTOR's storyline, and it managed to get the Star Wars setting down almost perfectly imo.G013M

KOTOR was, much like the Bioware PC titles, a turn based combat game masquerading as a realtime. I enjoyed the combat from a strategic standpoint, but Mass Effect's realtime system was just fun to play.

-Byshop

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

Kotor is longer and actually has an ending. Mass Effect didn't feel like a complete game after I had beaten it. It was building up and building up and the ending was anything that I had expected. It was basically a "to be continued" which left me feeling cheated because bioware had always finished it's games previously, not released them as episodes, which is exactly what Mass Effect 2 is going to be.

Sacif

Mass Effect will be a trilogy, so the first two games will be kind of like a to be continued.

True, but earlier Bioware games would've just had the complete story in one long game (BG2, KOTOR, NWN), as opposed to Mass Effect's three short ones.

Hm, anyway...they're both enjoyable games. KOTOR is deeper, but Mass Effect has much better presentation and combat. You couldn't really go wrong with either, but if you prefer 'actual' RPGs over action-RPGs, I guess KOTOR would be the way to go.

McTock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 McTock
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts
While the visuals for Mass Effect are dazzling at least, the graphics for KotOR were good at the time. Mass Effect romance plots were worthless, they were a long and boring mission while pursuing them and in the end all they did was lose most of the games credibility. At least the romance plot in KotOR had repercussions later in the storyline. The turn based fighting sequence in KotOR was original if not ingenious, while the combat system of Mass Effect was probably cut and pasted from Call of Duty Modern Warfare. There is no comparison, KotOR is and always will be, better.
Avatar image for invinciblesuman
invinciblesuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 invinciblesuman
Member since 2004 • 156 Posts

I have to say KOTOR... Mass Effect was awesome.. but KOTOR was a great step ahead after nwn..

IN the end all wat matters is

BIOWARE ROCKS !!!!

Cobretti1818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cobretti1818
Member since 2005 • 511 Posts

I recently finished ME, and it is an excellent game.

However, when Iwas playing KOTOR, I could'nt believe how good it was. Probarbly the best RPG I have ever played, and one of the best games I have ever palyed.

Play 'em both, but play KOTOR first :)