Kinect for windows, I smell VR from MS on the pc

#1 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -
#2 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

I for one, can't see myself buying these wearable gadgets for another 10 years or so.

#3 Posted by pelvist (4718 posts) -

You are wrong about Oculus dieing, hardly anyone on PC is interested in Kinect for gaming and most VR games will be designed as a seated experience, in which Oculus could have their own technology for the consumer Rift that tracks hand movement. The Omni is quite cool to look at and may even be a great experience but I honestly cant see many people having one in their home.

#4 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2571 posts) -

I for one, can't see myself buying these wearable gadgets for another 10 years or so.

#5 Posted by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

what are you doing on this thread then, be gone, neanderthal

#6 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@evildead6789: just giving out my opinion, any problem with that??

#7 Posted by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -
#8 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

Microsoft is dealing with a very limited scope of technologies right now, while their competition is expanding in truly astronomical ways. Facebook is poised to offer the public the best Virtual Reality experience money can buy right now. Oculus VR is ahead of their time, and with the $400 million cash in funding they just received, plus the 1% option in Facebook's stock, they could deliver the best product on the market without too much trouble.

Oculus VR's scope just expanded by at least tenfold. They are now getting ready to offer the public front row seats to all the hottest sporting events, skydiving, bungie jumping, space tours, rollercoaster rides, immersing video game experiences, virtual shopping malls, the list is endless; all from the comfort of your home. This is going to be enormous.

Microsoft is in rough shape right now, their vision of a gaming system peripheral is infantile.

#9 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

Microsoft is dealing with a very limited scope of technologies right now, while their competition is expanding in truly astronomical ways. Facebook is poised to offer the public the best Virtual Reality experience money can buy right now. Oculus VR is ahead of their time, and with the $400 million cash in funding they just received, plus the 1% option in Facebook's stock, they could deliver the best product on the market without too much trouble.

Oculus VR's scope just expanded by at least tenfold. They are now getting ready to offer the public front row seats to all the hottest sporting events, skydiving, bungie jumping, space tours, rollercoaster rides, immersing video game experiences, virtual shopping malls, the list is endless, all from the comfort of your home. This is going to be enormous.

Microsoft is in tough shape right now, their vision of a gaming system peripheral is infantile.

lol, you must be real stupid. Vr tech already existed in the ninteties, this isn't groundbreaking technology, oculus only started because of a user base and because high def screens and strong computers are available.

Oculus is a pc device, for pc gamers Pc gamers are mostly a bit tech savyy and savvy in other stuff too, like that facebook can't be trusted

Microsoft patented vr tech for the xboxone already two years ago and trusted sources say they are working hard on it. Sony has one too, there are others making vr devices too. Like this one

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/true-player-gear-announces-new-vr-device-featuring-1080p-oled-screens-90-degrees-fov/

Oculus is done, the average facebook user is not a vr enthousiast. You don't have to be a genius to see that.

#10 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

Oculus is done, the average facebook user is not a vr enthousiast. You don't have to be a genius to see that.

John Carmack is more than just an enthusiast in the field. He's ready to expand the scale of VR applications.

#11 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:
@evildead6789 said:

John Carmack is more than just an enthusiast in the field. He's ready to expand the scale of VR applications.

john carmack isn't the average oculus buyer and you think facebook is going to make the games?

Besides of course he will defend his business deal, how old are you ? lol

nobody will buy that lol, no one in the right mind trusts facebook

besides this is coming too

1080p oled screens

perfect headtracking

90 fov

from true player gear

It even has two 1080p camers , which the oculus doesn't have but it will have it in the future and facebook will use to see where you look in ads. No one will want that.

They will want this though, just gamegear, no facebook creeps

Can I say victory dance

#12 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

You're acting like Facebook is tied to Oculus in some other way than support and financial investment. There's been some rough times in the past with Facebook and their acquisitions that were quickly consolidated. For the most part, the engineers in the field of VR advancement would unanimously agree, this acquisition is going to give VR the wings it needs to take off from a garage-made gaming peripheral to a truly large-scale application.

#13 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

You're acting like Facebook is tied to Oculus in some other way than support and financial investment. There's been some rough times in the past with Facebook and their acquisitions that were quickly consolidated. For the most part, the engineers in the field of VR advancement would unanimously agree, this acquisition is going to give VR the wings it needs to take off from a garage-made gaming peripheral to a truly large-scale application.

dude, facebook owns oculus now, what do you think?

Facebook does NOT respects his customers, they're as evil as companies can go, they had lobbyists all over the place when privacy laws needed to be voted in europe. YOUR privacy is their core business. They pushed people to give up their privacy so people could become voyeurs, that's how they make money.

Why do think there is so much hate on the internet. The average oculus buyer is not an idiot but tech enthousiasts, no one is going to buy this thing anymore

Minecraft developper said it straight from the heart 'facebook creeps me out'

#14 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

Hey, I'm not here to defend Facebook, the web site. You are literally the product of Facebook if you visit their site, not the customer. The customers are multimillion dollar marketing corporations. All of it is shady. If you don't like capitalism and it's shadier sides, then I beg you to join a coalition for change. The world deserves peace and harmony and blah, blah, blah, you get it.

This is about the expansion of Virtual Reality to a larger audience for a wider scale of applications such as the ones I described, including but not limited to gaming. Facebook has a shit-ton of money. There's no need to panic when they buy up tons of interesting tech, in fact it's time to rejoice when a corporation is willing to invest in the expansion of future economic growth. This will help employ thousands of new jobs in a sector that is about to explode. You need to look at this in a more macroscopic way.

#15 Posted by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

Hey, I'm not here to defend Facebook, the web site. You are literally the product of Facebook if you visit their site, not the customer. The customers are multimillion dollar marketing corporations. All of it is shady. If you don't like capitalism and it's shadier sides, then I beg you to join a coalition for change. The world deserves peace and harmony and blah, blah, blah, you get it.

This is about the expansion of Virtual Reality to a larger audience for a wider scale of applications such as the ones I described, including but not limited to gaming. Facebook has a shit-ton of money. There's no need to panic when they buy up tons of interesting tech, in fact it's time to rejoice when a corporation is willing to invest in the expansion of future economic growth. This will help employ thousands of new jobs in a sector that is about to explode. You need to look at this in a more macroscopic way.

Sorry but people didn't knew that when they visited their site, nor did they know that sharing everything can get you into trouble, not everyone is that smart.

This is also pretty new technology, laws can 't keep up. Kids kill themselves because of facebook.

Even big corporations have ethics and even if they cross the line that doesn't mean you have to buy their product. Why do you think there was such commotion?

Anyway the commotion will end fast because it's sure that other vr headsets will be available for the pc, end of story.

#16 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

My argument stems from the fact that Microsoft's vision and scope is limited to gaming peripherals, while their direct competition is expanding in many incredible ways. I agree with you, that more competition means more products for gamers like ourselves to experience. There will always be a niche for computer gaming and entertainment peripherals like a head-mounted display or wireless remotes with haptic feedback for virtual reality entertainment. The thing is that Microsoft should be on top of things, they are falling behind the times and limiting themselves to niches instead of going fully large-scale with their ideas.

#17 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

My argument stems from the fact that Microsoft's vision and scope is limited to gaming peripherals, while their direct competition is expanding in many incredible ways. I agree with you, that more competition means more products for gamers like ourselves to experience. There will always be a niche for computer gaming and entertainment peripherals like a head-mounted display or wireless remotes with haptic feedback for virtual reality entertainment. The thing is that Microsoft should be on top of things, they are falling behind the times and limiting themselves to niches instead of going fully large-scale with their ideas.

If you think the average person is going use vr headsets by facebook for business, pleasure or whatever then you underestimate the intelligence of the average person.

No one is going to use tech like this that's affiliated with a company like facebook. It isn't groundbreaking technology, if there's a market for it the market will be flooded with devices like this , just like you have with tv's and stereo's

If people will use it at all... most people aren't comfortable being locked out from the outside world. Business will use professial devices, companies have a facebook page because of it's popularity but they ain't going to do company meetings with vr sets that are made by facebook lol.

#18 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

I think it might be you who is underestimating the explosion that is about to occur in head-mounted displays. TVs are going to go the way of books and radios. The future is now. As for the people uneasy about escaping the world they live in, there's a solution! It's augmented reality.

#19 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

I think it might be you who is underestimating the explosion that is about to occur in head-mounted displays. TVs are going to go the way of books and radios. The future is now. As for the people uneasy about escaping the world they live in, there's a solution! It's augmented reality.

Yeah but it's not going to be happening because of facebook

#20 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

That's a knee-jerk reaction with very little correlation to facts. It's an ungrounded assumption.

#21 Posted by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@jimmy_russell said:

That's a knee-jerk reaction with very little correlation to facts. It's an ungrounded assumption.

They will never be able to go outside of their core business, no one trusts them

#22 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -
@evildead6789 said:

@jimmy_russell said:
@evildead6789 said:

@jimmy_russell said:

They will never be able to go outside of their core business, no one trusts them

You're confusing Facebook.com, the web site, from Facebook, Inc. and Mark Zuckerberg. One is a shady web site that harvests it's user's information for resale, the other is a giant source of equity for the computer industry to draw from. Facebook, Inc. is not operated in the same ways as their web site, they are actually a large supporter and provider of the open-source software community.

#23 Posted by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@jimmy_russell said:
@evildead6789 said:

@jimmy_russell said:

You're confusing Facebook.com, the web site, from Facebook, Inc. and Mark Zuckerberg. One is a shady web site that harvests it's user's information for resale, the other is a giant source of equity for the computer industry to draw from. Facebook, Inc. is not operated in the same ways as their web site, they are actually a large supporter and provider of the open-source software community.

Lol it's not because he has split personality, people see them as two different entities

Apparently you have been blind and deaf the last two days, people don't like facebook lol

#24 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

Again, it's a knee-jerk reaction from the masses. Developers like John Carmack and Michael Abrash are on board and excited about the future of VR. Who cares if a few vocal opponents disagree with this acquisition, their fears are based entirely on unfounded assumptions.

#25 Posted by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

Again, it's a knee-jerk reaction from the masses. Developers like John Carmack and Michael Abrash are on board and excited about the future of VR. Who cares if a few vocal opponents disagree with this acquisition, their fears are based entirely on unfounded assumptions.

lol everyone disagrees but you, a few vocal opinions? you must be losing your mind, no way is anyone going to buy this

#26 Edited by Jimmy_Russell (676 posts) -

Who are these people that disagree?? We have Notch, a one-hit wonder who immediately jumps forward to spread unfounded fear because a web site creeps him out. Like, duh, everyone hates Facebook. They also have hundreds of billions of dollars to invest in future technologies. The majority of these fears that Facebook is going to invade everyone's lives are unfounded. People give away all their information to Facebook willingly, the ones who don't want to use it don't have to (I'm one of those people.)

I had the same reaction you're having now when I first heard the news. Fear immediately took over my rationale and made me cynical. I've come to realize, after pondering the thoughts of the top engineers in the field, that everything is going to be fine. In fact, it's going to be great! The moment something surfaces where this acquisition becomes a bad thing for VR, resources can be shifted and the market will already have tons of viable alternatives to choose from. The good thing is that this technology is going to be catapulted into the mainstream so that more options will become available sooner.

#27 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

Who are these people that disagree?? We have Notch, a one-hit wonder who immediately jumps forward to spread unfounded fear because a web site creeps him out. Like, duh, everyone hates Facebook. They also have hundreds of billions of dollars to invest in future technologies. The majority of these fears that Facebook is going to invade everyone's lives are unfounded. People give away all their information to Facebook willingly, the ones who don't want to use it don't have to (I'm one of those people.)

I had the same reaction you're having now when I first heard the news. Fear immediately took over my rationale and made me cynical. I've come to realize, after pondering the thoughts of the top engineers in the field, that everything is going to be fine. In fact, it's going to be great! The moment something surfaces where this acquisition becomes a bad thing for VR, resources can be shifted and the market will already have tons of viable alternatives to choose from. The good thing is that this technology is going to be catapulted into the mainstream so that more options will become available sooner.

this technology isn't groundbreaking, it already existed in the nineties, other manufacturers will make it because there will be a market for it so you don't need facebook.

Facebook has already invaded everyone's lives besides people who were smart enough not to use it. It's like the insurance salesman that asks for 5 friends so he can make more sales. The invasion also happens because of the tracking of your surfing behaviour but the worst thing is that you have become a facebook entity with loads of friends, and they aren't even your friends they're just aquintances. The longer you will take part in it , the harder it will be to quit. It's voyeurism, if that's your thing so be it, but you're the object of voyeurism as well , for all those so called friends.

You have to pay the price of fame , but there's no fame lol. If your a public person it's something different, but as a private person facebook is just bullshit. Your putting yourself out there, for free... good luck with that

You may have changed your privacy settings, but even if your not on google they can find you through other friends, there's always a way around.

#28 Posted by magicalclick (22554 posts) -

Lolz, I know, FB crapped out What's App, you need to sign in with FB account if you want to use What's App. Same with Instagram. FB is evil. ***sarcastic***

#29 Edited by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

Lolz, I know, FB crapped out What's App, you need to sign in with FB account if you want to use What's App. Same with Instagram. FB is evil. ***sarcastic***

This is not evil in the sense like a cartoon villain lol,

Just look at their core busines and their company policy and you know enough.

People who use facebook have become the slaves of it and they don't even realize it. If I close down this account, then it has nothing to do with my personal life. I move on and that's it, no strings attached.

#30 Posted by schu (9261 posts) -

@pelvist said:

You are wrong about Oculus dieing, hardly anyone on PC is interested in Kinect for gaming and most VR games will be designed as a seated experience, in which Oculus could have their own technology for the consumer Rift that tracks hand movement. The Omni is quite cool to look at and may even be a great experience but I honestly cant see many people having one in their home.

Almost no one cares about Oculus naymore. RIP Oculus. Everyone I know who purchased a Dev kit has lost all interest.

#31 Edited by pelvist (4718 posts) -

@schu said:

@pelvist said:

Almost no one cares about Oculus naymore. RIP Oculus. Everyone I know who purchased a Dev kit has lost all interest.

The 2 hour long queues and amazed look on every single persons face at EGX Rezzed this weekend suggests otherwise.

#32 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2571 posts) -

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@geniobastardo said:

what are you doing on this thread then, be gone, neanderthal

bob loblaw

#33 Posted by evildead6789 (7634 posts) -

@pelvist said:

@schu said:

@pelvist said:

The 2 hour long queues and amazed look on every single persons face at EGX Rezzed this weekend suggests otherwise.

Yeah but at this time, there's no other option, it's just vr.

#34 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26127 posts) -

I got to experience the Oculus Rift over the weekend. It was one of the greatest things I've ever experienced. Don't give a damn who owns it. I need it in my life.

#35 Posted by pelvist (4718 posts) -

@ChubbyGuy40: At EGX Rezzed? What games did you try with it? Monstum seemed very promising. I hope Alien Isolation gets OR support at some point, it seemed perfect for it from what I played.

BTW: The Rift will be at the same venue this month for TGSL too, though Im unsure weather it will be the DK1 or DK2 that is there.

#36 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26127 posts) -

@pelvist said:

@ChubbyGuy40: At EGX Rezzed? What games did you try with it? Monstum seemed very promising. I hope Alien Isolation gets OR support at some point, it seemed perfect for it from what I played.

BTW: The Rift will be at the same venue this month for TGSL too, though Im unsure weather it will be the DK1 or DK2 that is there.

Nope. Was at Intel LANfest Sacramento and someone had a dev kit with them. Saw some people trying out Minecraft with it but I was playing Team Fortress 2. Aside from the pixelation/microwave door effect because of the low resolution, it was an absolute blast to play with. I really didn't want to stop.

#37 Posted by pelvist (4718 posts) -

@ChubbyGuy40: Same here, I cant wait for the consumer version. The pessimists here probably havent had a chance to experience it yet.