Just installed a new GPU and having some problems

#1 Edited by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

I just upgraded my GPU from a Radeon 7570 to a R9 270x. It was working just fine for about 2 hours then I got a blue screen out of nowhere saying an error had occurred and the system needs to restart. Now it seems to do it about every hour or so. Do you think it might be overheating?

I have a 650W PSU, i7 4770, 8GBs of RAM, and the R9 270x.

Before I installed my new card I uninstalled my old one. I can't figure out why it is doing that

#2 Edited by alim298 (1221 posts) -

I don't think it's a case of overheating but you can always check that with SpeedFan software. I say it's a compatibility issue. try updating your drivers.

#3 Edited by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

The first thing I did was update the drivers. There is one that is newer, but its the beta version.

#4 Edited by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

Do you think disabling the on board graphics would help?

#5 Edited by Horgen (110061 posts) -

@gregbmil said:

Do you think disabling the on board graphics would help?

Shouldn't matter but worth a shot I guess.

#6 Edited by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

Thank you guys!! I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'm going to uninstall everything AMD then reinstall them with the disk that came with my GPU. Then disable the on board graphics. I will let you know how it goes in a few hours:)

#7 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

I would install the beta drivers give them a ahot.

#8 Posted by insane_metalist (5981 posts) -

What kind exact kind/brand/cooler is it? Link it if you can? To me it sounds like, it's overheating. I could be wrong.

#9 Posted by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

I got it working now! I uninstalled all the drivers then reinstalled them. Again, it worked for about an hour then I got the blue screen again. So I uninstalled the drivers again and the card. Then I found a program called Driver wipe, or something like that and it completely wiped out all the drivers, then I disabled the on board graphics. I reinstalled the card and drivers and it's been working just fine now.

So it was a driver issue the whole time:)

#10 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (589 posts) -

Display Driver Unistaller is better.

Driver Sweeper is old and has no support now, its replacement is called Driver Fusion, but again DDU is just better.