Just finished Amnesia

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolidPandaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidPandaG
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts

Who says the horror genre is trite and dead? **** made Dead Space look and feel peewee. Now I know how Will Smith felt in 'I Am Legend' when he went into the dark building to get his dog back.

I played in the dark with headphones for the full experience because I'm a glutton for punishment and am curious what a heart attack feels like. Figure I might as well experience it early in my life.

The sad part is that I have to wait for the sequel while trying to sate my need to play something tense and disturbing.

Horror junkies (true horror junkies), any other bad boys like this underrated puppy out there?

Panda's rating: 8.5/10

-1 for dated graphics.

-.5 for no heart attack.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

Yep,it´s a great game,one of the all time greats of the genre,if not the best one.

Well,now the next step while you wait for the upcoming Amnesia A Machine for Pigs next year is to go and play the Penumbra series now. :D

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

play condemned if you havent already.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

play condemned if you havent already.

IZoMBiEI

I got it on Greenmangaming for $7, and it is terrifying. You are more empowered then Amnesia, but since you die quickly and are usually limited to very little ammunition or a bit of wood or pipe as a weapon, you still have to run and hide, and the game has set piece scares that almost made me crap my pants (involving serial killers and mannequins).

I have a hard time beating Condemned, Amnesia or Penumbra because they are all scary as hell. It's a shame Condemned 2 kind of got terrible after the second act, but I'd love a sequel.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Silent Hill 1-4 and Amnesia are the only horror games that I would classify as scary.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

the game is probably one of the last true great horror games, its amazing

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
condemed isn't bad penumbra overture and penumbra black plague are a good match if you like amnesia
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Penumbra is great. Fvcking scary though! And I believe they're making another penumbra game.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Penumbra: Black Plague and Overture are your best bet since they are both by the same developers.

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth would be another good choice as it has some similar themes to Amnesia.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Who says the horror genre is trite and dead? **** made Dead Spacelook and feel peewee

SolidPandaG

Except Dead Space isn't a horror game you imbecile.

To add, Amnesia was developed by an independent studio. I think it's unfair to judge them so firmly on graphics.

Personally I think Amnesia is more pleasing to the eye than the majority of big-budget games. The environments are incredibly detailed.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Thief isn't conventional horror, it has some horror/gothic elements in it, but it is very scary sneaking around in the dark at times!!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SolidPandaG"]

Who says the horror genre is trite and dead? **** made Dead Spacelook and feel peewee

Socijalisticka

Except it's classified as a horror game, and he was saying those games blew Dead Space out of the water.

But if you want to blatantly insult people making the same point as you and look stupid, go ahead.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I have never screamed so loud in fear when intaking any form of media. No game, no movie, no book, has scared me as much.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Amnesia is indeed an awesome game. It took me 10 hours to complete it (during which I only died ONCE!) and I played 100% alone in a dark room during the early hours of the morning. Easily the most memorable gaming experience I've had in a long, long time. If you haven't played it already, Frictional Games released a sort of expansion for Amnesia. It's to Amnesia what Penumbra: Requiem was to Penumbra: Overture/Black plague, i.e, more puzzle focused, but still scary and atmospheric.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="SolidPandaG"]

SPYDER0416

Except it's classified as a horror game, and he was saying those games blew Dead Space out of the water.

But if you want to blatantly insult people making the same point as you and look stupid, go ahead.

It's classified as horror by folks who apparently haven't played an action game ever. OP's post makes about as much sense as "Who says the horror genre is trite and dead? **** made Vanquish look and feel peewee."

If you didn't understand that yet, I mean simply that games shouldn't be judged by genre standards they don't abide by.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Condemned wasnt scary to me, cause I could fight back. I bought Amnesia a few months after it first came out. Got flooded basement part with the invisible thing chasing me and said NOPE. Havent touched it since. Great game if only because of that.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I didn't like it. All that happens is you go into a room. Die. Try again Limbo did the same thing, except limbo was game was being a tryhard with the art direction.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Haha i love it how this one game can make adults cringe in fear and not want to play it anymore. I am playing through Dead Space 2 at the moment (during the night with headphones) and it's pretty damn scary, i've jumped from my seat numerous amount of times.

Amnesia is a must buy for me, i just wish i could walk into a store and pick it up rather then buy it online.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I didn't like it. All that happens is you go into a room. Die. Try again Limbo did the same thing, except limbo was game was being a tryhard with the art direction.

Wait what? Are you talking about Amnesia? If you just walk into a room and die ur doin it wrong.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I didn't like it. All that happens is you go into a room. Die. Try again Limbo did the same thing, except limbo was game was being a tryhard with the art direction.PetJel
Wait what? Are you talking about Amnesia? If you just walk into a room and die ur doin it wrong.

Yeh Amnesia
the game should have been scared of me

not the other way around

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10431 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Socijalisticka

It's classified as horror by folks who apparently haven't played an action game ever. OP's post makes about as much sense as "Who says the horror genre is trite and dead? **** made Vanquish look and feel peewee."

If you didn't understand that yet, I mean simply that games shouldn't be judged by genre standards they don't abide by.

XwgKr.gif

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I didn't like it. All that happens is you go into a room. Die. Try again Limbo did the same thing, except limbo was game was being a tryhard with the art direction.

You're not playing the game right then. Don't fault the game for your own inability to play it properly.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

dead space is not an horror game, it is a good game, i actually like it, but horror? hell no:|

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Socijalisticka

Did your parents drop you on your head?

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
I need to finish it i think i'm almost there but i put it down for a while. I got tired of Shltting my pants.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Very good game, true survival horror. First game I've had to put down within an hour because I was so tense and paranoid, unless you count Silent Hill but I was 8 at the time. The ambient sound's masterfully done; there's always a new noise in the background that makes you think "S**t, something's definitely around that corner.".

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I didn't like it. All that happens is you go into a room. Die. Try again Limbo did the same thing, except limbo was game was being a tryhard with the art direction.

You're not playing the game right then. Don't fault the game for your own inability to play it properly.

Who says you can only play a game a right or wrong way?
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I didn't like it. All that happens is you go into a room. Die. Try again Limbo did the same thing, except limbo was game was being a tryhard with the art direction.JigglyWiggly_

Who says you can only play a game a right or wrong way?

He clearly just means you didn't view the game from a perspective where you could enjoy it.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

SPYDER0416

Did your parents drop you on your head?

Countless times apparently. As a consequence, I unfortunately lack the mental capacity to enjoy the complexities of Fallout 3 and NV. Further intricacies such as weapon and armor modifications is too much for my crippled brain to make sense of. Add action-oriented combat and I might just loose my mind. Imma go play baby ql for consolation.

NuclearFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NuclearFlower
Member since 2010 • 575 Posts

Actually dying in Amnesia... wut I never even died on my first playthrough. Learn to hide.