Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by Eragon_11 (5022 posts) -
Wahey...finally, Im redownloading the FAH software 8)
#352 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Good for you!
#353 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="Konrad"]If anyone would like to remake this thread with charts and graphs and such that actually work... well, that would be nice of them. DirkVDV01

Whoa a Konrad siting! :) How's it going m8?

I've been trying to get someone to update this but they always look to me to do it :)

We just want you to do at least SOMETHING usefull here, Krall! :P

lol fine, I'll start working on an update N O W ! :P

So if anyone has any useful links I'm all eyes and will give full credit to you in ah the credit section ;)
#354 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="Konrad"]If anyone would like to remake this thread with charts and graphs and such that actually work... well, that would be nice of them. Krall

Whoa a Konrad siting! :) How's it going m8?

I've been trying to get someone to update this but they always look to me to do it :)

We just want you to do at least SOMETHING usefull here, Krall! :P

lol fine, I'll start working on an update N O W ! :P

So if anyone has any useful links I'm all eyes and will give full credit to you in ah the credit section ;)

Check my site, you'll find some info in my news section there. Url is in PM
#355 Posted by matinog (794 posts) -
+1 for you...im joining the gamespot team- my name in mandraque
#356 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
Wahey...finally, Im redownloading the FAH software 8)Eragon_11

+1 for you...im joining the gamespot team- my name in mandraquematinog

Great! Welcome to the folding team fellas, we appreciate your help :)
#357 Posted by matinog (794 posts) -
you know anyway to make it go faster? like 7 hours for 150/750 frames....
#358 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
you know anyway to make it go faster? like 7 hours for 150/750 frames....matinog

What are your specs?

I'll have some optimization guides to look through once I finish with the updates to the 1st page.
#359 Posted by Eragon_11 (5022 posts) -
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"]Wahey...finally, Im redownloading the FAH software 8)Krall

Ive used FAH home before, but it was confliciting with something, so I didnt download it again for ages.
#360 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
you know anyway to make it go faster? like 7 hours for 150/750 frames....matinog
Hmmm, depends on your specs. Disabling running programs, not using the PC, avoiding programs to load at startup,...
#361 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="Eragon_11"]Wahey...finally, Im redownloading the FAH software 8)Eragon_11

Ive used FAH home before, but it was confliciting with something, so I didnt download it again for ages.

You used the GUI, right? Did you try the CLI? The GUI does have issues with OpenGL in some situations (been there...)
#362 Posted by matinog (794 posts) -
CLI???? i have a pentium D 820....but the program never uses 100% of both my cpus...
#363 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
CLI???? i have a pentium D 820....but the program never uses 100% of both my cpus...matinog

I think Dirk means the Command Line Interface instead of the GUI client for Folding. In the past the CLI had more options (and was more tweakable) and ran a little faster then the GUI front end.
#364 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="Eragon_11"]Wahey...finally, Im redownloading the FAH software 8)Eragon_11

Well in that case welcome back to the team :)
#365 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
....i was working on this thing, and then i ended up closing folding from the task manager window, i turned off the executable.. and i've pretty much lost the hours i spent working on it... now i've got another project btw, number of frames isni't indicative of the projet's size
#366 Posted by Eragon_11 (5022 posts) -
[QUOTE="Eragon_11"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="Eragon_11"]Wahey...finally, Im redownloading the FAH software 8)Krall

Well in that case welcome back to the team :)

Glad to be back :)
#367 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
[QUOTE="megagoten"]....i was working on this thing, and then i ended up closing folding from the task manager window, i turned off the executable.. and i've pretty much lost the hours i spent working on it... now i've got another project btw, number of frames isni't indicative of the projet's size

Wrong. Actually, the client is separated from the core, which does all the work. You are much more likely to loose work when you destroy the core in mid-operation then you loose work when you close the client accidentaly. You can theoretically have a core running while your client is gone. The core checks the PID of the client every once in a while and usually closes itself down if it can't detect it any more. And yes, by CLI, I meant the "no-nonsense console client" you can find in the Stanford FAH download pages. I suspect you used the graphical client (GUI), with the red gear in your system tray. It shows you the pretty proteins on the screen, but it uses OpenGL to render them. Some people (actually, a lot of them) had problems with incompatible OpenGL instructions. You can easily understand why: the people who do this project are bioscientists, not computer science programmers... They don't care that much about pretty pictures, they care about science and the results the clients produce.
#368 Posted by dbpanek (1406 posts) -

Woot!  Just broke into the top 30...

I have a spare pc I've been dying to hook up... and if I upgrade to dual core soon, I could be moving on up!

I'm glad I saw this and got into it.  I've been busy with work and not gaming as much lately, it is noce to know that my pc is still doing something. :D

#369 Posted by Stevobob (4251 posts) -
I finally got the second compy running, folding on an Athlon 1100mHz (dunno the model) now as well as my A64 3000+ :D Going by frame completion, the Athlon folds at about 40% of the rate of my gaming PC. Not bad considering I got it for free. It's also got a Radeon 7500, some random Sound Blaster Live! sound card and a 10 gig harddrive...and 512 megs of RAM. :P
#371 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
i switched to the non-graphical console of folding how do i track my progress or turn it off?
#372 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Turn it off by hitting CTRL+C You can add a line -verbosity 9 so that you get the most feedback the console can give you.
#373 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
[QUOTE="DirkVDV01"]Turn it off by hitting CTRL+C You can add a line -verbosity 9 so that you get the most feedback the console can give you.

i'm actually going to the log file.... is that reliable enough? where do i hit "ctrl+c" from?
#374 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Open the menu and hit CTRL+C. You can view the log whenever you want to, it doesn't affect anything.
#375 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
i have no menu to open
#376 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
I mean the window, sorry about that...
#377 Posted by matinog (794 posts) -
yea i got the text based thing so yea...and i finished one WU
#378 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Congratz! In that text window, click it's top border to make it active, and then you can stop the client by invoking CTRL+C. The command sends a sigterm signal to the window and tells it to shut down. The client detects this signal, stops the core and finishes nicely.
#379 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
ok, i'm sorry for being a pain like this but i don't have a window... i set it to run on startup so... i don't have a window, i don't have anything, no text winow, no ms-dos like window or anything just the process running in task manager and it's not as if opening the thing again helps... it just opens a third one (i have two Folding running since im' on HT)
#380 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Then it's not the client version, it's the console/services version... yeah, those clients get mixed up a lot... No problem then, you shut shut down the PC or use a kill switch to stop the process. It's fairly easy to do in Linux, but Windows has commands for that as well. Net stop (name of service) in the command line can do the same thing. I don't know for sure which kill signal is being used... I sure hope it's not SIGTERM or SIGKILL, and definitely not SIGINT.
#381 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
click new on the desktop, create shortcut, type this: "net.exe stop "FAH@C:+folding+FAH502-Console.exe" If it isn't installed on the C drive, just put the letter where it is installed. If you have a different version, just change it to FAH504 or whatever, if you want to make a start shortcut just write start instead of stop. You can also look in that directory to find the log and see your progress, like for me it's D:\Folding -> FAHlog.txt.
#382 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
and that'll stop it without screwing up wtv my cpu has been working on? so if i copy/paste and then change the directory, it'll work? as in, i leave all the "+" in there?
#383 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
No, with that + it won't work, you need to use backslash keys but you can't enter them here without them getting sanitised by the forum software
#384 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -

i'm getting an error msg that lasts about a frame saying about some syntax mistake

i'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it

%windir%\system32\net.exe stop FAH @ G: + FAH504-beta #1 + FAH504-Console.exe

that being what i end up getting as a short cut i also tried variouis variants, such as removing the FAH@ part in front of the location, or changing FAH504-console.exe for FahCore_78.exe, which is the process i see in windows task manager as taking the CPU's power

also, the reason i'm looking for a way to turn it off is because i can't watch 720p videos smoothly as long as my comp's folding

#385 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Oh boy, stay away from batch files... I wouldn't recommend doing what X360PS3AMD05 said anyway, the service client is designed to safely shut itself down when you shut down the PC or when something goes wrong. No need to be running batches and CLI commands unless you really have to (like after a crash, to force SSE optimisation, etc.)
#386 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
well, as long as it's folding, i'm watching extremely crappy high def videos (kinda like if you tried to watch it on a PII)
#387 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Indeed, it's the program that matters. High-def videos can take lots of resources, but the program is designed to work on the background or not at all when you use all the resources.
#388 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -
Indeed, it's the program that matters. High-def videos can take lots of resources, but the program is designed to work on the background or not at all when you use all the resources.DirkVDV01
well, fact is, it makes a difference, as i booted computer disabling the folding service... but wtv, i don't watch high def movies often on a side note, i broke the 1k points mark :P
#389 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Congratz!
#390 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
Huh? The shortcut works for me, i use 502 version though, it turns off when i want to play a game and turn it back on when i quit playing.........Whenever i'm encoding something i also turn it off because it does seem to bog the system down.
#391 Posted by franticsniper (40 posts) -
I just joined the folding team and i'm leaving my computer on 24/7 to fold.  I think it's a really cool thing to do, and it doesnt slow the computer down at all.  My athlon64 x2 3800+ did 500 frames in 22 hours for its first project, i think thats pretty good not sure though.  Is there any way to get both cores at 100% utilization?  Currently their both taking equal shares of it, running at a constant 50% for the entire cpu.  The same happens with prime95 when i used to run that, only 50%.

Thats fine with me if it cant be changed, just checking in case it can.
#392 Posted by franticsniper (40 posts) -
I just joined the folding team and i'm leaving my computer on 24/7 to fold. I think it's a really cool thing to do, and it doesnt slow the computer down at all. My athlon64 x2 3800+ did 500 frames in 22 hours for its first project, i think thats pretty good not sure though. Is there any way to get both cores at 100% utilization? Currently their both taking equal shares of it, running at a constant 50% for the entire cpu. The same happens with prime95 when i used to run that, only 50%.

Thats fine with me if it cant be changed, just checking in case it can.
franticsniper
Nevermind i figured it out myself. I downloaded 2 of the no nonsense text folding proggies and put them in seperate files and made the modified shortcuts. Loaded up perfect and now their using 100% of my computer processing power. This is so cool, ill get my first 1000 points in no time!
#393 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
I would recommend adding the -local flag to one of them, so that they never will mix up with each other.
#394 Posted by macpop (3991 posts) -
wats folding? sorry for the noobish Q
#395 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Read the first page macpop... And if you need more info, I'll send you my team page URL in pm
#396 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -

for the updates... we need to go check it ourselves right? and im' on the no-fancy-graphics version...

ooh, i just handed in a 700point WU, that was awesome :P

it's crazy, i need to double my points to go up some 40 ranks now...

#397 Posted by dbpanek (1406 posts) -
Going up ranks was easy at first, but it reaches a point where it really starts to take awhile.  When I first started folding, I could go up two or three ranks on a good day, and now it takes about a week or so to even think about it.  What I need to do is get that second folding machine up...
#398 Posted by franticsniper (40 posts) -
Today I set my moms computer (athlon64 3200+) on the no nonsense folding app under my name (Frantic_Sniper) . Pretty soon we'llbe raking in the points as soon as these current WU's get handed in. Right now i have my computer (athlon 64 X2 3800+ ) running two copies of no nonsense, both cores working equally on both copies, and their both at 37000000/50000000 . It's taken 2.5 days to get that far, so I figure late tonight/early morning they will be done. I'm eager to get thoughs points, as right now I only have 153.

I recruited a friend to fold for gamespot, although he doesn't go to this site he's a loyal friend and was happy to do it when I told him the results at stanford are used to study cancer and disease treatments. Too bad he only has a pentium D 820, he's chugging along at 4 mins a frame on the fancy graphics version.

More to come I think, I have a few more friends to talk to about doing this, hope we can get 30+ active processors by xmas! It's a goal for me, i'm doing as big a push as I can.
#399 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Going up ranks was easy at first, but it reaches a point where it really starts to take awhile. When I first started folding, I could go up two or three ranks on a good day, and now it takes about a week or so to even think about it. What I need to do is get that second folding machine up...dbpanek
Easy in the start, since lots of people jump in and soon afterwards realise it's just not what they want to keep running for a long time. So they end maybe 1 or 2 WU's and delete the client after that. This results in lots of users in the rankings who have 0, 1 or 2 WU's. It's easy to get past those, but after that, it starts to get harder since you join those who stay and commit their PC's (sometimes 24/7/365)
#400 Posted by Xbox360gamer1 (8575 posts) -
Any other really benefitial ones out there.....?  What do they do ?

Will get a Duel Core increase my progess?