Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by awoeonip (7488 posts) -
#152 Posted by koolmark20000 (717 posts) -
well I was just looking at our team stats and I am ranked 18th out of our team. I was wondering if everyone would post their F@H stats. I have completed 161 WU and have 16174 points. Is this a good score for my computer. Also when I build a new gaming rig will a dual core AMD processor be able to pump out the work units even faster?
#153 Posted by Vandam500 (2948 posts) -
What is a folding team?
#154 Posted by mohmaaytah (2395 posts) -
This is a worthy cause, much better than that SETI thing at least, I just joined folding, all the best you guys.
#155 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
What is a folding team?Vandam500

The first page explains it pretty well.

I'll work on doing an update for the team since DJ doesn't seem to be around anymore.

[QUOTE="koolmark20000"]well I was just looking at our team stats and I am ranked 18th out of our team. I was wondering if everyone would post their F@H stats. I have completed 161 WU and have 16174 points. Is this a good score for my computer. Also when I build a new gaming rig will a dual core AMD processor be able to pump out the work units even faster?

Good question about the dual-cores, I imagine they'll make an update to the program in order to use both cores sometime soon.

You can see everyone on the teams stats at: http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=32721

Cool, I finally moved into 2nd place! :)
#156 Posted by Acurev (6484 posts) -
i wanna join! i download the program and entered in the team number and stuff.
#157 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
i wanna join! i download the program and entered in the team number and stuff.
Acurev

w00t welcome to the club! :)
#158 Posted by Acurev (6484 posts) -
[QUOTE="Acurev"]i wanna join! i download the program and entered in the team number and stuff.
Krall

w00t welcome to the club! :)

thank you ;)
#159 Posted by Adamosek1_10 (1385 posts) -
What does foldin mean?
#160 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
What does foldin mean?Adamosek1_10

Check out the first page ;)

#161 Posted by Watercarver (12 posts) -
I wanna join. I just wanna ask why the software seems a bit outdated (nov,9 2004)
#162 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="Watercarver"]I wanna join. I just wanna ask why the software seems a bit outdated (nov,9 2004)

Which page are you d/ling it from? It's really not that outdated, they usually only do updates when processors change that can take advantage of certain things. So we'll prolly see an update for dual-cores soon.
#163 Posted by Watercarver (12 posts) -
I used your link, and the download link is marked with a "new"
#164 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I used your link, and the download link is marked with a "new"Watercarver

I checked that out and it seems like that is the latest client. I've been using it for a while now with no problems so I guess if it ain't broke they aren't fixing it :)

BTW, someone asked about dual-core support... Well the client can handle up to 8 WUs per PC from what I understand, so if you have 2 cores you will just run 2 Folding@Home to take advantage of it.
#165 Posted by xboxpimp18 (7830 posts) -
Are we still doing this or what? I would like to help but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a while. And, can i leave Folding@Home running, even if i'm not at my pc?
#166 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
Are we still doing this or what? I would like to help but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a while. And, can i leave Folding@Home running, even if i'm not at my pc?xboxpimp18

A lot of us are yes :) We are ranked pretty high for not having that many people. Unfortunately the only one who can edit the first page post is Dark_Jedi and he's pretty much disappeared. I'm working on a new write up for the first page and hopefully another mod can edit DJ's post with the new stuff...

Yup you can leave F@H running 24/7 if you wish. The best ap to d/l for that would be the one that runs in the system tray.
#167 Posted by xboxpimp18 (7830 posts) -
[QUOTE="xboxpimp18"]Are we still doing this or what? I would like to help but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a while. And, can i leave Folding@Home running, even if i'm not at my pc?Krall

A lot of us are yes :) We are ranked pretty high for not having that many people. Unfortunately the only one who can edit the first page post is Dark_Jedi and he's pretty much disappeared. I'm working on a new write up for the first page and hopefully another mod can edit DJ's post with the new stuff...

Yup you can leave F@H running 24/7 if you wish. The best ap to d/l for that would be the one that runs in the system tray.

Ya i just dled and signed up, so i can help contribute now! I hope i can help us out... My PC cpu is only an AMD 2500+, so i'm not sure how much i can do. I'm gonna leave it on at all times unless i wanna play a game, then i'll turn it off.
#168 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="xboxpimp18"]Are we still doing this or what? I would like to help but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a while. And, can i leave Folding@Home running, even if i'm not at my pc?xboxpimp18

Ya i just dled and signed up, so i can help contribute now! I hope i can help us out... My PC cpu is only an AMD 2500+, so i'm not sure how much i can do. I'm gonna leave it on at all times unless i wanna play a game, then i'll turn it off.

Cool, welcome aboard :)

A 2500+ is nothing to sneeze at, that's what got me to 2nd place ;)
#169 Posted by ddtcato (172 posts) -
So, no one is concerned about a trojan horse?
Maybe I'm just too skeptical.
#170 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
So, no one is concerned about a trojan horse?
Maybe I'm just too skeptical.
ddtcato

Or paranoid ;)

If you're on the internet using a MS product you're at risk, if your on the internet using a MS product with broadband and your worried about a trojan then do yourself a favor and disconnect from the world of the internet.
#171 Posted by Demo24 (12303 posts) -
Konrad can modify that front page if you need him to Krall ;)

I had to stop for two reasons. a)on the main rig its just to hot here to run the cpu so high :( b) the old computers cap's seem to be going(rust like stuff on mobo) so I dont want to put to much strain on it
#172 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
Konrad can modify that front page if you need him to Krall ;)

I had to stop for two reasons. a)on the main rig its just to hot here to run the cpu so high :( b) the old computers cap's seem to be going(rust like stuff on mobo) so I dont want to put to much strain on it
Demo24

Thanks, I'll give him shout when I'm finished :)

Yeah I know what you mean, having my CPU run 24/7 under F@H makes my room even hotter.
#173 Posted by xboxpimp18 (7830 posts) -
[QUOTE="xboxpimp18"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="xboxpimp18"]Are we still doing this or what? I would like to help but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a while. And, can i leave Folding@Home running, even if i'm not at my pc?Krall

Geez 1 WU takes forever to do... :(
#174 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="xboxpimp18"][QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="xboxpimp18"]Are we still doing this or what? I would like to help but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a while. And, can i leave Folding@Home running, even if i'm not at my pc?xboxpimp18

Geez 1 WU takes forever to do... :(

Some of those WU are massive :)
#175 Posted by xboxpimp18 (7830 posts) -
Ya i had one with 500 frames :(
#176 Posted by xboxpimp18 (7830 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dark_Jedi"]
How do I optimize the program to make it go faster?

There are actually little codes and such that will allow you to get better production. To do this, make a shortcut to the program somewhere. Then, right click and go to properties. Under "Target" you should see where the file is located. After the last " in the file name, hit space and type -advmethods -forceasm. This will allow you to access beta WU's that will allow for more points, quicker .

I tried to do that^ but it didnt work, can anyone help me with that?
#177 Posted by Eidorian (1167 posts) -
How often does this program use my internet connection when I run it? Also, why is my name not listed on the team statistics page?
#178 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
How often does this program use my internet connection when I run it? Also, why is my name not listed on the team statistics page?Eidorian

It only uses it when it finishes with a WU and it does so to upload the results to them and download a new WU to you.

It's prolly not listed because you haven't completed a WU yet. How long have you been folding for?
#179 Posted by buxboy (6940 posts) -
ok fine ill do it
#180 Posted by Nonpareil (1606 posts) -

Ok, here i come :D Me and all 6 of my PC's.

Just waiting for the next fold to finish, so i can join :P

#181 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

Ok, here i come :D Me and all 6 of my PC's.

Just waiting for the next fold to finish, so i can join :P

Nonpareil

ok fien ill do itbuxboy

Welcome aboard fellas :)
#182 Posted by zoku88 (4078 posts) -
darn it. 75th place. Come on CPU! Get me higher
#183 Posted by takeo1775 (62 posts) -
Hey all, I think a gamespot team is a great idea, I've started folding using the graphical client and I noticed that I'm doing 47s/frame and there are 5000 frames. How fast are you guys doing a frame? My current rig is as follows
AMD 64 3000
512MB DDR 400 (my mobo started giving RAM errors when i use my two 512 sticks, I've temp solved this by going back to one stick)
FX 5900
200GB SATA

Can't wait till I do my annual upgrade (see sig)
#184 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
Hey all, I think a gamespot team is a great idea, I've started folding using the graphical client and I noticed that I'm doing 47s/frame and there are 5000 frames. How fast are you guys doing a frame? My current rig is as follows
AMD 64 3000
512MB DDR 400 (my mobo started giving RAM errors when i use my two 512 sticks, I've temp solved this by going back to one stick)
FX 5900
200GB SATA

Can't wait till I do my annual upgrade (see sig)
takeo1775

Where do you see the s/frame stats?

darn it. 75th place. Come on CPU! Get me higherzoku88

Go put it on some friends computers and you'll shoot up in no time :D
#185 Posted by takeo1775 (62 posts) -
I'm using the graphical client, do you get much faster results with the command line version?
#186 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I'm using the graphical client, do you get much faster results with the command line version?takeo1775

I'm not really sure to be honest, I switched to the taskbar client so it could run 24/7 instead of when the screen saver kicked in. I've been looking in my settings and I can't find where the speed rates would be. What is it called exactly on your client?
#187 Posted by TheLiberalTruth (3151 posts) -
I'm using the graphical client, do you get much faster results with the command line version?takeo1775
I run SETI@Home and drawing the gui for it takes quite a bit of power. If there's some way to minimize the program so it doesn't show what it's doing, it will run much faster. SETI@Home on PII 300 @ 337.5 > 60hrs/data unit maximized around 20hrs/dataunit minimized on PIII 500 > 40hrs/data unit maximized around 16hrs/dataunit minimized
#188 Posted by awoeonip (7488 posts) -
console version is definately the way to go. It doesn't require any CPU power to run the program itself, unlike the graphical. Also, the graphical uses opengl, which has been known to cause problems with certain games. Install the console version in service mode, that way you'll never even have to think about it. If you want to check on your client, you can open the fahlog, or download a monitoring program like EMIII or FAHmon.
#189 Posted by takeo1775 (62 posts) -
Yeah I'm gonna go down the console steet now when I'm folding and I'll see how it does...
#190 Posted by needlemeyer3 (30 posts) -
if they'res naked girls im in
#191 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
if they'res naked girls im inneedlemeyer3

If you join you can tell chicks you work on cancer research and they'll find ya soooo hawt dawg that they'll get nakid ;)
#192 Posted by RF134 (1055 posts) -
I just started this. Im kind of confused....

Team number is 32721 right?

What does it exactly supposed do to? It just shows a picture in the middle (atoms?) Frames competed. 0/400 timing estimated, WU end 15:37 Sun 7 Aug 05.

Im not sure if Im doin this right...
#193 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I just started this. Im kind of confused....

Team number is 32721 right?

What does it exactly supposed do to? It just shows a picture in the middle (atoms?) Frames competed. 0/400 timing estimated, WU end 15:37 Sun 7 Aug 05.

Im not sure if Im doin this right...
RF134

Yeah you have the team # right. The program isn't high on pretty things to look at it's just doing a lot of number crunching to aid the researchers out. It's running correctly and when you complete a WU you'll see your name get update on the list and it will show how many processors you are using and a few other stats.

Welcome to the team!
#194 Posted by RF134 (1055 posts) -
ok tnx cool
on the CPU usage percent does it matter on what I set it to?
#195 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
ok tnx cool
RF134

The higher you set it the faster you'll get a WU done since more processing power is being used to finish it.
#196 Posted by RF134 (1055 posts) -
[QUOTE="RF134"]ok tnx cool
Krall

The higher you set it the faster you'll get a WU done since more processing power is being used to finish it.

What do you suggest I set it too? When I use computer I set it to lowest when I go to sleep on highest.
#197 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="RF134"]ok tnx cool
RF134

What do you suggest I set it too? When I use computer I set it to lowest when I go to sleep on highest.

Which ap are you using, the one that runs in the taskbar or the one that turns on as a screen saver?

If it's the one in the taskbar then leave it at 100% because it sets itself to the lowest priority so when another program needs the processor F@H uses what's left if any.

If you are using the screen saver one then again set it at 100% because it's only going to come on when you're not using your computer.
#198 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
I think i set it to 100% but its only taking up about 50% of my total CPU usage. I just got done with my first one that had 5000 frames and then i got a 400 one that i thought was going to be fast but its taking over 6 minutes a frame instead of 20 something for the 5000. This one is going to take about twice as long i guess because the thing is much bigger lol. Still its good to be using my PC for something good instead of just wasting it. I also am doing the SETI one too which doesnt take nearly as long.
#199 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I think i set it to 100% but its only taking up about 50% of my total CPU usage. I just got done with my first one that had 5000 frames and then i got a 400 one that i thought was going to be fast but its taking over 6 minutes a frame instead of 20 something for the 5000. This one is going to take about twice as long i guess because the thing is much bigger lol. Still its good to be using my PC for something good instead of just wasting it. I also am doing the SETI one too which doesnt take nearly as long.Kurushio

Cool man :) It's prolly taking longer because you're using your computer for other things as well..
#200 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
Im pretty sure that although its only 400 frames the reason that it is taking 6-7min longer is because this protein or whatever is much bigger and complex than the last one. I was doing other things with the last one and it would raise to maybe 40s a frame and down to 20 or so. I have a P4 3.0Ghz 800FSB with HT and its using about 55% of my CPU just like last time. Its called Tinker Core if anyone else has seen it. I hope it cures cancer lol.