Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#501 Posted by Einhanderkiller (13250 posts) -
Just joined. I'll try to contribute as much as I can.
#502 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

I joined today. I've had the PS3 hard at work for over 24 hours now. :) AaronThomas

Fantastic, welcome to the team! Many thanks Aaron for the multiple plugs about the folding team in your editorials and blog it's very much appreciated :)

#503 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

Walton from the PS3 boards has setup a union for folding, since their team is now merged under our folding # the forum is open to us all. It's kinda vacant there right now so go ahead and spam it up a bit ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/forums/show_topics.php?board_id=909182662&union_id=12599 

Just joined. I'll try to contribute as much as I can.Einhanderkiller

Great any little bit helps, welcome to the team :) 

I am folding on Gamespot's team on my pc. GUSguslan

Welcome aboard guslan :) 

i joined the team... one question:is there any way to make my computer quiter because even at 50% CPU usage it's pretty loud and i can't sleep.Gamerzk

lol

Well just short of replacing the fan with a quieter one you can set the processor level the folding client uses from 100% down to say 70% so the fan isn't running so hard. 

[QUOTE="darkmagician06"]wow ...the PS3 is dominating... http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats asylumni
SHHHHH! Keep quiet with that! If people find out, I'll never catch up to 24Gordon, Krall and Mr._Smee (who robbed me of 3rd recently)!

Yeah first Dirk setup a bunch of PCs to dethrone me and now the PS3 sweeps in to pummel me :)

Here's another article of the PS3 stomping http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6609 it says that the only thing more powerful is an ATi GPU which seems odd to me. Oh well I know what I am including in my next upgrade :D 

#504 Posted by Red_Sniper (234 posts) -
Just joined. Always glad to help.
#505 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
i joined the team... one question:is there any way to make my computer quiter because even at 50% CPU usage it's pretty loud and i can't sleep.Gamerzk
Install a better HSF and noiseless PSU
#506 Posted by Grease_Bits (2352 posts) -
Just joined, hopefully alot of people on ps3's will do the same.
#507 Posted by Fusible (2826 posts) -
PS3 is up running, I just joined the team.
#508 Posted by AaronThomas (492 posts) -
Krall:  No problem. Glad to help out. :)
#509 Posted by BLKR4330 (1698 posts) -

Holy crap! Has anyone seen this:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32721

Folding is up by 3000%! (hope my maths isn't letting me down there..) If that's correct, those ps3's are doing some serious number crunching and we'll be overtaking other teams on a daily basis :D

On a more personal note; there go my hopes of a good ranking with my single-core.. :)
#510 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
Im going to have to get me a PS3 soon just to compete and stay where i am lol.  I just want to wait for the cpu nm drop and maybe a price drop as well.  Of course really until there are games out there i want there isnt much of a reason but GTA IV will probably convince me to go ahead.  I need a better job so i can get me a quad core and maybe the R600 (unless nvidia comes out with better cards that can do folding).
#511 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

Holy crap! Has anyone seen this:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32721

Folding is up by 3000%! (hope my maths isn't letting me down there..) If that's correct, those ps3's are doing some serious number crunching and we'll be overtaking other teams on a daily basis :D

On a more personal note; there go my hopes of a good ranking with my single-core.. :)BLKR4330

Damn! lol

They have a sticky in the PS3 forum and if the 200+ posts are any indication there are a LOT, LOT, LOT of new folders added to the team :)

It kinda makes me sad, I so gonna get knocked off the top 3 spot :cry:

BTW, are those the same stats they use a http://fahstats.com ?

#512 Posted by megagoten (5186 posts) -

the 3000% increased production had me come check back here to see what's happened!!!! (haven't posted or logged in for a couple months)

so most new folders come from....?

edit: after a few searches, there seems to have a BIG influx about folding@home lately, i guess that explains it, i wonder if all the people do fold for us and not some random team though

#513 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

the 3000% increased production had me come check back here to see what's happened!!!! (haven't posted or logged in for a couple months)

so most new folders come from....?

edit: after a few searches, there seems to have a BIG influx about folding@home lately, i guess that explains it, i wonder if all the people do fold for us and not some random team though

megagoten

The PS3 and Aaron's (see above posts) editorial has give the team a large influx of folders :)

I'm trying to update the front page with links to the new union site, PS3 folding sticky and some other info, but the HTML errors are killing me :( 

#514 Posted by Korubi (299 posts) -
This is a great cause :). It looks like the numbers are pretty low for Mac OS X, but I joined anyway. A little help is still help :) My name is listed as Korubi.
#515 Posted by quadraleap (36513 posts) -

I finally signed up. My first WU will not finish until the 7th. I'm guessing it will take awhile for my name to show up on the members list there. I have yet to try it on in the background playing games..and its almost addicting watching the molecules change around...lol.

#516 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
I wouldnt run the program while playing a game especially any newer type of game.  Maybe starcraft is the only game i would consider it but i wouldnt even try it with something like BF2 or Supreme Commander.
#517 Posted by quadraleap (36513 posts) -

I wouldnt run the program while playing a game especially any newer type of game.  Maybe starcraft is the only game i would consider it but i wouldnt even try it with something like BF2 or Supreme Commander.Kurushio

I found out the hard way this morning. I tried playing BF2 and it did not work correctly. Everything was fine when I turned off the fold program. Thanks for the heads up though.

#518 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kurushio"]I wouldnt run the program while playing a game especially any newer type of game. Maybe starcraft is the only game i would consider it but i wouldnt even try it with something like BF2 or Supreme Commander.quadraleap

I found out the hard way this morning. I tried playing BF2 and it did not work correctly. Everything was fine when I turned off the fold program. Thanks for the heads up though.

Odd, since F@H clients are set to be running at idle or low priority in threads. Whenever any program starts working, the clients puts itself aside. What basically really happens is that the clients takes this into account AND the CPU processes hierarchy system puts the new program at a higher status (i.e. the new program is -1 and FAH becomes +1) so the new program gets all the processes it needs. Any problems that occur have to do with the way the OS handles the running processes allocation.
#519 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="quadraleap"]

[QUOTE="Kurushio"]I wouldnt run the program while playing a game especially any newer type of game. Maybe starcraft is the only game i would consider it but i wouldnt even try it with something like BF2 or Supreme Commander.DirkVDV01

Odd, since F@H clients are set to be running at idle or low priority in threads. Whenever any program starts working, the clients puts itself aside. What basically really happens is that the clients takes this into account AND the CPU processes hierarchy system puts the new program at a higher status (i.e. the new program is -1 and FAH becomes +1) so the new program gets all the processes it needs.
Any problems that occur have to do with the way the OS handles the running processes allocation.

I concur and not because I want to have you guys fold even more, but I've always run the client in the background 24/7 and have never noticed any problems playing BF2/BF2142 or anything else really. 

#520 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
I have a single core 3500 cpu with the graphical folding client and i cant even run a game if the client is paused.  It always kicks the game back to desktop so i always have to exit out of it.
#521 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
I have a single core 3500 cpu with the graphical folding client and i cant even run a game if the client is paused. It always kicks the game back to desktop so i always have to exit out of it.Kurushio
Have you tried the console or service version of the client?
#522 Posted by quadraleap (36513 posts) -

I have a single core 3500 cpu with the graphical folding client and i cant even run a game if the client is paused.  It always kicks the game back to desktop so i always have to exit out of it.Kurushio

The same thing happens to me. The game will start (with some of the graphics missing) then it will bounce back to the FH thing, etc. For the little time I play lately it no biggie to just shut the program down for a few hours.

#523 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
FAH has OpenGL issues, since the scientists and programmers basically added an OpenGL port for the graphics at the end, they weren't really interested in adding this anyway. The logic is simple: they want the client to work correctly and give good results, they don't want it to generate pretty pictures. After lots of requests, a graphical client came available, but with issues. Don't expect them to do something about it soon, their priorities now are to provide lots of WU's (since the PS3 launch this need is becoming high), make the client more stable and add new versions when new cores are required for new projects. Apart from that, they are heavily looking into using GPU's for folding. Their first client for the ATI X1900 was in bèta, should work in official status now, but even this one doesn't specifically focus on pretty pictures. They are now focusing on extending that use to DX10 cards and some GPU's from Nvidia. Your best bet to have a stable system is one that just uses text. The console client or even the service client can solve that. The first is a text-based CLI, the latter is a service, which runs in the Windows services. Both don't have a graphical front-end, so no OpenGL is needed, thus avoiding any conflicts that may arrive.
#524 Posted by quadraleap (36513 posts) -

Your best bet to have a stable system is one that just uses text. The console client or even the service client can solve that. The first is a text-based CLI, the latter is a service, which runs in the Windows services. Both don't have a graphical front-end, so no OpenGL is needed, thus avoiding any conflicts that may arrive.DirkVDV01

Interesting tid-bit but I'll just keep the one I have for now. I'm in the habit of closing out a few programs when I play games anyhow. If I have to reinstall it I will keep that in mind as I dont even look at the pretty pictures any more anyway, I just run it in the task bar. The small amount of time it is shut off is compensated by the fact I leave my computer on all the time now due to this project. I'm on my 3rd WU already.

#525 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
The only bad part about the GUI client is that the OpenGL code runs, even if you never open the client to look at the "pretty pictures". I don't remember by heart which driver file it was, but there is one that is conflicting with it sometimes. Whenever you start a game and that same file is being used to start or access OpenGL library code, the system goes nuts. Result: crash. I' ve seen blue screens on it on one of the setups here before...
#526 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
Ive never had a blue screen from it but it's kind of good though that it crashes the game since usually the only games i play anymore are BF2 and SupComm and i want all the CPU power i have to go to those games while im playing them for a few hours.
#527 Posted by JigglyWiggly2 (320 posts) -
i feel happy to help, I am using 100% of 1 core on my qx6700
#528 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

i feel happy to help, I am using 100% of 1 core on my qx6700JigglyWiggly2

Nice, welcome to the team Mr Wiggly :) 

#529 Posted by dadeisvenm (1865 posts) -
Just started but I'm surprised that there are 633 members. Thats pretty cool.
#530 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
There was a good surge when PS3 could start doing it but i doubt half are even active.
#531 Posted by SteelersGuy (22 posts) -
Just joined the team. Thanks!
#532 Posted by mr_smee_01 (366 posts) -
Welcome aboard!
#533 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
What place are you guys in? My team is in 118th :)
#534 Posted by asylumni (2132 posts) -

What place are you guys in? My team is in 118th :)X360PS3AMD05

233rd.  You should switch sides and help out us underdogs. :D 

#535 Posted by DirkVDV01 (20155 posts) -
Welcome aboard to everybody who recently joined. :)
#536 Posted by r3351925 (1728 posts) -

Welcome aboard to everybody who recently joined. :)DirkVDV01

I tried F@H but.... it didnt work it gives me error #1 then # 2 then etc..... . i tried their forums and they told me that i have proxy issues and i wont be able to run the folding at home. so i tried boinc and it turned to be great. iam running Rosetta@home and its working great.

BTW what if the F@H was a try to develop a new disease not curing 1? what if it had something with the chemicals ...........

anyway i am just saying what if.... who knows

#537 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
Then they have a great cover story with great security measures in place to prevent the information of this masssive conspiracy from breaking out lol.
#538 Posted by MondoCool (866 posts) -
I forgot how to browse in an exe file I read here for folding @ home on the x1900 series... "For the GUI client, unzip the file to its own folder and then run the winFAH binary. Further instructions can be found on our console and GUI client pages."
#539 Posted by geo888 (351 posts) -
You can find a run down of how we're doing here. We should make something to put in our sig that notifys other people on other forums about our team.
#540 Posted by geogo3r (2552 posts) -

You can find a run down of how we're doing here. We should make something to put in our sig that notifys other people on other forums about our team.geo888

Thats a good idea... (I like your name... It reminds me of something. :P)

#541 Posted by asylumni (2132 posts) -

You can find a run down of how we're doing here. We should make something to put in our sig that notifys other people on other forums about our team.geo888

Well, there's the stats sigs images link on that very page... 

#542 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
Since all these PS3 people and 1900 users joined ive dropped like 10 positions lol.  It's just not fair.
#543 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
Since all these PS3 people and 1900 users joined ive dropped like 10 positions lol. It's just not fair.Kurushio
ORLY? Just wait until PC dudes get R600s or if the 8800 is able to fold someday ;)
#544 Posted by thaddusbly (2239 posts) -
Wow, it's been forever (years?? haha) since I've been on here and to see this still going is really really cool. Nice job everyone!
#545 Posted by Ns_Speed (28 posts) -

Nice I think I will try that. my CPU is not very strong but its better then 1 thats for sure...

But, I dont get it, how do I join the Gamespot Folding Team, just download and start the progrem? How it knows im from "Gamespot Folding Team"?

#546 Posted by BLKR4330 (1698 posts) -

Nice I think I will try that. my CPU is not very strong but its better then 1 thats for sure...

But, I dont get it, how do I join the Gamespot Folding Team, just download and start the progrem? How it knows im from "Gamespot Folding Team"?

Ns_Speed

Cool, it's for a good cause so all help is welcome :) To join the gamespot team all you do is enter the team number when you setup the program, which is 32721. For more info I'd recommend to check the first page of this thread. 

#547 Posted by Ns_Speed (28 posts) -

Thank you thats all I need, I will setup the program tomorrow.

Edit: 

Well I jsut started the progrem, looks nice however my CPU isnt very good are you sure it will help? Only 2 MGHZ...

#548 Posted by hamzafort (3 posts) -

hi snake

#550 Posted by geo888 (351 posts) -
Here is a picture i made. its kind of rough so if you guys want to fix it up that would be great.