Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13607 posts) -
I am now on WU # 11
#52 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I am now on WU # 11GummiRaccoon

Gummi needs an upgrade ;)
#53 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I have downloaded it. And it says that it is working. I hope I can help. I am running a Gateway intel 1.8ghz processor . Do i need to do anything else with the program after I download it and configure it and it says that it is working in the bottom part of my screen next to the time? If so please tell me.koolmark20000

That's all you have to do, you can check the log to make sure it's completing Work Units or just click the links on the first page of this post to check your status online. It won't report anything till you complete a WU though.

Welcome to the team :)
#54 Posted by koolmark20000 (717 posts) -
I think there is something wrong with it. It has been on 57/400 for like 12 hours. what is wrong with it?
#55 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I think there is something wrong with it. It has been on 57/400 for like 12 hours. what is wrong with it?koolmark20000

Is it still stuck there?

You installed the version that runs when your not using your processor right?
#56 Posted by koolmark20000 (717 posts) -
it is still stuck ther and I have not even touched my computer for 2 days. it is stuck at 57/400 and it says that it is still working
#57 Posted by Anorak (624 posts) -
Joined!
#58 Posted by koolmark20000 (717 posts) -

it is still stuck ther and I have not even touched my computer for 2 days. it is stuck at 57/400 and it says that it is still workingkoolmark20000

plz help. it is still stuck there.

#59 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
Joined!Anorak

Awesome, welcome to the team :) Great sig btw ;)
#60 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

[QUOTE="koolmark20000"]it is still stuck ther and I have not even touched my computer for 2 days. it is stuck at 57/400 and it says that it is still workingkoolmark20000

I'm not really sure why it would be stuck there. I know it needs internet access but it usually only needs that when it starts a WU.

What processor do you have and which Folding program did you install?

Only thing I can suggest right now is to reinstall it.
#61 Posted by koolmark20000 (717 posts) -
[QUOTE="koolmark20000"]

[QUOTE="koolmark20000"]it is still stuck ther and I have not even touched my computer for 2 days. it is stuck at 57/400 and it says that it is still workingKrall

I'm not really sure why it would be stuck there. I know it needs internet access but it usually only needs that when it starts a WU.

What processor do you have and which Folding program did you install?

Only thing I can suggest right now is to reinstall it.

I think that I fixed it. I went into the config. and set the core priority to slightly higher. guess one of my programs wouldnt let it run.

#62 Posted by Anorak (624 posts) -
[QUOTE="Anorak"]Joined!Krall

Awesome, welcome to the team :) Great sig btw ;)

Thanks. :D
#63 Posted by boomers (20 posts) -
I Joined
#64 Posted by Counte_Monte (2470 posts) -
So many people high up on the list have stopped putting in WU. Would there be a way to get them started again?
#65 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I Joinedboomers

Cool welcome to the team :)
#66 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
So many people high up on the list have stopped putting in WU. Would there be a way to get them started again?Counte_Monte

The only real way would be to PM them from here, the problem is most people use different names between GS & Folding :(

On the upside we've added a few more people, I'm glad DJ refloated this thread as that's definitely caught more peoples eyes.
#67 Posted by Squigglly (1133 posts) -

what is this thing?

#68 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

what is this thing?

Squigglly

A forum board :D

Seriously just check out the front page 1 here and you'll see everything you need to see.

BTW, join up ;)

#69 Posted by kashta (81 posts) -
i just joined
#70 Posted by Diebye (179 posts) -
I Joined as well... how do you tell how many points a Wu is worth anyway? The amount of Frames?
#71 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
Diebye & Kashta welcome to the team :)

Am I the only welcoming party around here :( 
#72 Posted by unforgiven05 (1112 posts) -
i joined a little while ago, maybe like 2 weeks ago. i think i was ranked somewhere in the 70's last time i checked
#73 Posted by unforgiven05 (1112 posts) -
i just checked and i'm almost at a rating of 1000! w00t! i feel so humbled compared to people like krall. you rule, dude
#74 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
i just checked and i'm almost at a rating of 1000! w00t! i feel so humbled compared to people like krall. you rule, dudeunforgiven05

w00t nice job m8 :)

I've been folding from the start and have like 3 machines doing it so that's why I have a good amount of WU done :)
#75 Posted by kos97866 (407 posts) -
Hey guys,

well, this seems like nicer team to join than the tech report, so i think i'll be transfering.
no fun being with the greats : )
#76 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
Hey guys,

well, this seems like nicer team to join than the tech report, so i think i'll be transfering.
no fun being with the greats : )
kostis

Come join us :) Your WUs are more then welcome here!
#77 Posted by Demo24 (12303 posts) -

well I finally gave in! Was gonna join when I got a enw comp but said the heck with it. COOL program! Me like already :)

#78 Posted by kos97866 (407 posts) -

well I finally gave in! Was gonna join when I got a enw comp but said the heck with it. COOL program! Me like already :)

Demo24

great, welcome : )
#79 Posted by te310 (2663 posts) -
i just put it on my A6 3000 and a P3 Laptop and tonght i will try to put it on a 1.8 P4 and anouter P3 and try to get my old 2200 working and put it on there

#80 Posted by kos97866 (407 posts) -
i just put it on my A6 3000 and a P3 Laptop and tonght i will try to put it on a 1.8 P4 and anouter P3 and try to get my old 2200 working and put it on there

te310

wow, that's a lot of hardware you've been hiding in the house.
#81 Posted by rockfender (1871 posts) -

I'm interested in joining, but I have a few questions first.

1) I will be doing this from school, but I know that the IT department has a firewall in place, so can the folding program still work with it on?

2) Is there any virus threat?

3) how do i join? :)

#82 Posted by kos97866 (407 posts) -

1) I will be doing this from school, but I know that the IT department has a firewall in place, so can the folding program still work with it on?

rockfender

there should be no firewall problem; only if your school has a really weird firewall. if there is a problem, we can discuss that later.
there isn't any virus problem; at least no one has ever mentioned one. the folks at stanford are pretty careful to make sure something like this doesn't happen. they only allow connections to the servers, and use authentication, so you should be fine.
to join, go to http://folding.stanford.edu
and download the client. just install it, and off you go. remember to configure your client with your user name, and enter team 32721, Gamespot @ Home.
#83 Posted by rockfender (1871 posts) -
[QUOTE="rockfender"]

kostis

there should be no firewall problem; only if your school has a really weird firewall. if there is a problem, we can discuss that later.
there isn't any virus problem; at least no one has ever mentioned one. the folks at stanford are pretty careful to make sure something like this doesn't happen. they only allow connections to the servers, and use authentication, so you should be fine.
to join, go to http://folding.stanford.edu
and download the client. just install it, and off you go. remember to configure your client with your user name, and enter team 32721, Gamespot @ Home.

Thanks! I'll be joining around Sept. 8-9.

#84 Posted by kos97866 (407 posts) -
We used to have our own board too but as far as I know that went belly up with the board change too :(Krall

so i figured this must be one of the main reasons the team isn't doing so well... it's hard to maintain folding visibility when the hardware forum is flooded with this and that.
so i figured, i'd make one as a UCB.
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_topics.php?board=909091962
please tell your folding friends about it.
i'll try to have updates, tips, and stuff like that there, that'll hopefully get people's attention and help them get started.
#85 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
[QUOTE="Krall"]We used to have our own board too but as far as I know that went belly up with the board change too :(kostis

so i figured this must be one of the main reasons the team isn't doing so well... it's hard to maintain folding visibility when the hardware forum is flooded with this and that.
so i figured, i'd make one as a UCB.
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_topics.php?board=909091962
please tell your folding friends about it.
i'll try to have updates, tips, and stuff like that there, that'll hopefully get people's attention and help them get started.

Well it is stickied at the top of the board, not that anyone ever looks up :)

Personally I hate having more forum boards to keep track of but your highly aggressive approach is working great so far :) I see a sales position in your future ;)

http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_topics.php?board=909091962 there I linkified it for ya...
#86 Posted by Dark_Jedi (11946 posts) -
I added a link to your UCB in the main post. Thanks!
#87 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
I just started using the newest client, very nice! It lets you setup the ap in a lot of different ways.
#88 Posted by Demo24 (12303 posts) -
I think my computer is solving cancer! :D Its taking forever to get through this WU. Started it like last week and its only at 550. ANd Iv had the computer on quite a good bit :P
#89 Posted by Demo24 (12303 posts) -
ok im a bit confused with this program. Everything works great. But I was looking at the info and brought up Queue info. this telling me that F@H is on number 5. now what does this mean? does this also mean I can run several different teams on one computer?
#90 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
ok im a bit confused with this program. Everything works great. But I was looking at the info and brought up Queue info. this telling me that F@H is on number 5. now what does this mean? does this also mean I can run several different teams on one computer?Demo24

Pretty sure that's just a queue of what the program is working on, like sometimes you'll have a WU waiting to be uploaded in the queue while another one is working on an in progress WU.

Also depending on the WUs, some take a while and some are small and don't take long to finish...
#91 Posted by LWHockey (1085 posts) -
New member to the team. Working on my first unit. I have a 3ghz workstation that it's running on now. Plus about 5 servers at my disposal, thinking about maybe using those too :)
#92 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
New member to the team. Working on my first unit. I have a 3ghz workstation that it's running on now. Plus about 5 servers at my disposal, thinking about maybe using those too :)LWHockey

Sweet! Bring all the power you can ;)

Welcome to the team m8 :)
#93 Posted by FreedomFighterG (1355 posts) -

I have also joined the team, I am currently running my first WU. I am running it on 1.7ghz pentium 4, but I am gonna try to convince my stepmom to put it on her laptop. Also I will try to get some friends to join.

On a more serious note : My father was diagnosed with parkinsons a few years ago. I think it is great to have programs like this. I thank each and every person who is running this program for the help. If you are not yet running this I encourage you PLEASE to join. Lets find the cures. and whip some other teams asses! PEACE

#94 Posted by Demo24 (12303 posts) -

Welcome on board mate! sorry aobut your dad :(

yeah Ill be adding some more systems to the chain shortly :) I should have a P4 2. something(dads work comp) up with it soon once hes done with some work hes got. That runs ALL the time so that will get a good bit of stuff done. Also I will be adding my own machine in January so thats around 2.2 ghz of power going to it for most of the afternoon, all day in the summer. And I will probably add anohter comp, a sempron 3100 to the line up sometime around January or febuary! :D

so good things to come :P

#95 Posted by xwengstax (8491 posts) -
i have just downloaded the folding program, but where can i go to join the team?
#96 Posted by Demo24 (12303 posts) -

i have just downloaded the folding program, but where can i go to join the team?xwengstax

let it run. youl see a little red flower on the taskbar on the right. right clikc on it and then click configure. enter the team number where it asks and put your name where it asks. then your good. you can also organise some things on how it runs in the other options but not required.

#97 Posted by xwengstax (8491 posts) -

[QUOTE="xwengstax"]i have just downloaded the folding program, but where can i go to join the team?Demo24

let it run. youl see a little red flower on the taskbar on the right. right clikc on it and then click configure. enter the team number where it asks and put your name where it asks. then your good. you can also organise some things on how it runs in the other options but not required.

ahhhh ooops i didnt see that, thx

better get to work!

#98 Posted by Bgrngod (5733 posts) -

Just finished my first WU!! But my next one is 1000 frames and will take 5 days......o crap thats a long time.

Haven't noticed a single hit in performance while running this program....TRULY a really great achievment for the programmers.

Kyle B.

#99 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

Just finished my first WU!! But my next one is 1000 frames and will take 5 days......o crap thats a long time.

Haven't noticed a single hit in performance while running this program....TRULY a really great achievment for the programmers.

Kyle B.

Bgrngod

Congrats :)

Yeah the program runs really well in the background without disturbing anything, Microsoft could learn a thing or two from these programmers ;)
#100 Posted by Cheeto (11735 posts) -
dark, I was having trouble running the client a few months ago, so I stopped running it. I just downloaded the non graphical client, so I'm back in teh game.